PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Wilson already making friends

TMcGee86
8/11/2011, 11:59 AM
linky (http://www.wnde.com/cc-common/podcast/single_page.html?podcast=zakkjack&selected_podcast=Kevin%2520Wilson%2520segment%2520 RAW%2520081111.mp3)

Hit the play button at the top left of the page for the radio interview. Ignore the video.

:eek:

LVSOONER15
8/11/2011, 12:05 PM
Those guys seem like total dumba$$$ that don't know a thing.

Midtowner
8/11/2011, 12:05 PM
Anyone have a link to the actual interview?

stoops the eternal pimp
8/11/2011, 12:11 PM
Hit the play button on the top left of the page

TMcGee86
8/11/2011, 12:12 PM

If you hit the play button on that page, it plays the audio from the actual interview.

I hadn't seen that video when I posted this. I'm just talking about the interview. Sorry, should have checked that.

sooner94
8/11/2011, 12:17 PM
I never thought I would listen to a sports talk show guy worse than Traber. Just listened to two. Those guys are brutal.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/11/2011, 12:20 PM
horrible

Canyonero
8/11/2011, 12:22 PM
If I was an IU fan that would have got me excited listening to him defend his team and program. Hope he can back it up with wins on the field.

oumartin
8/11/2011, 12:24 PM
that mighta been radio history if they woulda done that interview in person!

freshchris05
8/11/2011, 12:27 PM
They wouldn't of had the balls. He was on hold for a reason.

badger
8/11/2011, 12:31 PM

No sound, eh? I'll try to recap a little:

They started the interview by playing the IU fight song and they joked that they hardly ever heard of it.

And they're like... "They're.... LEEEEEEADERRRRS." When asking what division they were in.

Kevin Wilson says:

Asked if he's yelling at players yet because he sounds hoarse:
"No, we're yelling at media guys that don't have a clue."

"I got some things some things to do, so what do you need?"

You trying to get rid of us, coach?

"No, I just don't have to listen to guys talking about our fight song and not having any tradition..."

Tell us how you're gonna get into a bowl game:

"The key to doing that is scoring more points than the opposition."

Have an attitude with us is not very fair, coach.

"Every year is a new year, every season is a new season. Young men working very hard, last year 5-7, year before 4-8. We look forward to the challenges... I don't like being on your program with you guys cracking jokes."

Coach, I don't appreciate your attitude we have a radio show and we have to entertain. This school needs to have publicity. Rant rant rant high horse, attitude, I'M SHOCKED. I'M SHOCKED.

How much attention do they really get? ZERO.

He hardly talked. It was all b!tchy radio heads. :mad:

Pricetag
8/11/2011, 12:32 PM
How to deal with a football coach with an attitude problem, by Zakk and Jack:

1. Hang up.
2. Throw a full-fledged tantrum once he's off the line.

Jack Trudeau was the worst QB in Tecmo Bowl. Indianapolis was dang near unplayable because of his floaters.

badger
8/11/2011, 12:36 PM
I listened to the rest of the clip. Wilson doesn't return. All he basically said is that he didn't appreciate them making fun of the program and that the kids were working hard and were on the verge of more victories in previous seasons and that they are looking to go to a bowl game.

Seriously, the radio guys were in the wrong there. The coach is trying to get people to take his program seriously, so of course he's going to have a serious tone and not appreciate the BS.

OutlandTrophy
8/11/2011, 12:36 PM
what a couple of whiny bitches.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/11/2011, 12:37 PM
Jack Trudeau was the worst QB in Tecmo Bowl. Indianapolis was dang near unplayable because of his floaters.

Luckily Ivy Joe Hunter was a beast..

mgsooner
8/11/2011, 12:39 PM
I guess I'll be the lone dissenter here, but there was absolutely no reason for Wilson to act like that. He came on and immediately acted as if they had been making fun of the program, and they hadn't been. That's not how you sell a program like Indiana, and that's not how you conduct yourself as a head coach. You're not at OU anymore where the media goes and cowers in the corner if you say anything even halfway cross to them. People in big ten country don't give a sh*t about Indiana and certainly not about a head coach that has yet to coach a game there.

You can be intense and reinforce your point that you're changing the program's attitude without acting like a total and complete @$$. That being said, it was incredibly weak for them to cut him off and then bash him. Classic Traber move.

oumartin
8/11/2011, 12:39 PM
If Wilson was in the right then so was this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoMmbUmKN0E

Either way I think they both coulda handled it a tad better though the radio guys were idiots

Pricetag
8/11/2011, 12:40 PM
Luckily Ivy Joe Hunter was a beast..
Heh, yep. He was also a top candidate for best name.

badger
8/11/2011, 12:41 PM
KW could have been Mr. Nice, but I don't think that even being Mr. Nice would have kept Mr. Dick and Mr. D00she from being a dick and a d00she.

Pricetag
8/11/2011, 12:43 PM
If Wilson was in the right then so was this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoMmbUmKN0E

Either way I think they both coulda handled it a tad better though the radio guys were idiots
I can agree that Gundy's jumping off point was right in principle, but his execution was awful. The contrived nature of it, his physically intimidating movements toward a female reporter, and all that just eroded his high ground.

Kevin Wilson appeared to maintain his sanity in an "I don't have time for this crap" manner.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/11/2011, 12:48 PM
I guess I'll be the lone dissenter here, but there was absolutely no reason for Wilson to act like that. He came on and immediately acted as if they had been making fun of the program, and they hadn't been. That's not how you sell a program like Indiana, and that's not how you conduct yourself as a head coach. You're not at OU anymore where the media goes and cowers in the corner if you say anything even halfway cross to them. People in big ten country don't give a sh*t about Indiana and certainly not about a head coach that has yet to coach a game there.

You can be intense and reinforce your point that you're changing the program's attitude without acting like a total and complete @$$. That being said, it was incredibly weak for them to cut him off and then bash him. Classic Traber move.

I think any coach being intro'd with guys insulting that program deserve it..and they kept it going towards the end...Trudeau acted like he wanted to get into a argument with Wilson

mgsooner
8/11/2011, 12:55 PM
I guess I need to clean out my ears. How were they insulting the program? I don't mean at the end when they were all bitter and p*ssed, I mean what exactly did they say in their intro that got Wilson so peeved? I honestly didn't hear anything. Maybe I need to listen again.

badger
8/11/2011, 12:57 PM
There's only 12 head coaches in the Big Ten and they should have treated him like a rare interview, not some random joe shmo that calls in to rant.

Think of all that interview potentially could have been instead of that crap --- ask him to compare the landscape of the Big Ten with the Big 12, ask him his HUGE recruiting victory with that quarterback that even OU was vying for. Ask him about the most important games on the conference schedule.

After he's off the air, THEN giggle about the no-tradition crap if you want, but as long as you're getting a Big Ten head football coach on the air? TALK TO HIM! Don't b!tch and moan. Geez...

Taxman71
8/11/2011, 12:58 PM
In moments like this, I like to think "WHAT WOULD BOB STOOPS DO" in this situation? Bob would have ignored the pre-call slam and played nice in the beginning, but the first slight against his team and he would have gone on the offensive.

Remember, Bob jumped Chris Fowler/Herbie on National TV only minutes after winning the NC because they questioned OU's tradition in comparison to FSU.

BigJerm7
8/11/2011, 01:11 PM
They acted like they were doing him a favor by interviewing him. He could probably care less.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/11/2011, 01:24 PM
I guess I need to clean out my ears. How were they insulting the program? I don't mean at the end when they were all bitter and p*ssed, I mean what exactly did they say in their intro that got Wilson so peeved? I honestly didn't hear anything. Maybe I need to listen again.

Trudeau saying he rarely heard that song because they were never scoring for one

mgsooner
8/11/2011, 01:32 PM
Trudeau saying he rarely heard that song because they were never scoring for one

I just listened to it again, and you're right, that was kind of a weak comment to make. However, that is literally the only thing they said prior to Wilson coming on the air that could be construed as "offensive". If Wilson is really going to get enraged anytime someone says that "football has been a tough sport" for Indiana, then he might want to go ahead and get on some blood pressure meds now.

Kevin just has to learn how to play the media game a little better. I'm not saying schmooze, I'm saying do what Bob would do - brush it off at the start of the interview, say what you need to say about your program, then subtly jap them at the end. Then don't forget about it and stick it in their faces later when you're winning.

OUMallen
8/11/2011, 01:40 PM
I cannot be-LIEVE how self-important those two guys are.

mgsooner
8/11/2011, 01:47 PM
As a comparison, let's say Traber and Eschbach have Turner Gill on the Animal to talk about Kansas football and Gill acts the same way. How do you think that would turn out?

stoops the eternal pimp
8/11/2011, 01:50 PM
I just listened to it again, and you're right, that was kind of a weak comment to make. However, that is literally the only thing they said prior to Wilson coming on the air that could be construed as "offensive". If Wilson is really going to get enraged anytime someone says that "football has been a tough sport" for Indiana, then he might want to go ahead and get on some blood pressure meds now.

Kevin just has to learn how to play the media game a little better. I'm not saying schmooze, I'm saying do what Bob would do - brush it off at the start of the interview, say what you need to say about your program, then subtly jap them at the end. Then don't forget about it and stick it in their faces later when you're winning.

I can agree with that..It probably has more to do with the media in Indiana constantly talking about how bad they have been and tearing down the program since he has been there..He probably has a huge chip on his shoulder from everything he has previously had to deal with..And remembering some of his time in radio and tv here, the guy has an aggressive nature..

meoveryouxinfinity
8/11/2011, 02:21 PM
funny how they talk about his likability and recruiting when he just signed the top rated QB.

FirstAndGoalOU
8/11/2011, 04:19 PM
They acted like they were doing him a favor by interviewing him. He could probably care less.

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad120/ssross1/wilson.jpg

delhalew
8/11/2011, 04:27 PM
I love it. Wilson has work to do. Why stay on line, and let a couple of chuckleheads waste your precious time. Maybe next time they show some respect, and joke around when the interview is done.

LASooner
8/11/2011, 05:14 PM
Kevin - 1
*********s - 0

ThinMan
8/11/2011, 05:17 PM
Wilson is getting praised for his performance. He may have just gotten more attention for his program than he ever could by playing nice.

http://www.1070thefan.com/dakich/podcast.aspx

OUstud
8/11/2011, 06:58 PM
My favorite part was later in the clip when they say that they want Ron Zook to run the score up on him, "like Jim Harbaugh." HA!

agoo758
8/11/2011, 07:06 PM
Oh wow, this was so bad I thought it was a parody. :eek:

northspeter
8/11/2011, 07:40 PM
worst radio show in the country... cant believe they are fox sports radio's national morning show... they r aweful...

C&CDean
8/11/2011, 07:57 PM
Kevin? Who? It's Indiana. If your name ain't "Knight" you ain't ever gonna do ****. Well except beat NWestern...

AlboSooner
8/11/2011, 08:00 PM
KW is trying to win over his team completely. If there were any players who may have not been sold on KW, they are now. KW is playing "us against the worl" card.

Indiana was once a door mat in basketball until Knight showed up and built the program while being much more boisterous than KW.

C&CDean
8/11/2011, 08:03 PM
KW is trying to win over his team completely. If there were any players who may have not been sold on KW, they are now. KW is playing "us against the worl" card.

Indiana was once a door mat in basketball until Knight showed up and built the program while being much more boisterous than KW.

This guy got NW to lead the nation (correct me if I'm wrong) in offense? In football? It doesn't get any better than that.

LostCreekSooner
8/11/2011, 09:17 PM

You are not the only one that thinks Wilson acts like an arse. He was the same way at OU. His arrogance and treatment of others will eventually be his downfall. Yes, he may not respect reporters or their questions (and he may mostly be right)... but why does that give him the right to continuously make derogatory comments??? (dang, I must be getting old to act so politically correct... I think I will go have a drink!)

soonerstan56
8/11/2011, 10:47 PM
This is why I was a big fan of Wilson during his time here. He said what he really thought instead of the usual coach speak.
If he thought someone was loafing or taking a play off he'd say so afterwards.
Very rare in coaching.

Stan

OU GENO
8/12/2011, 10:13 AM
As a comparison, let's say Traber and Eschbach have Turner Gill on the Animal to talk about Kansas football and Gill acts the same way. How do you think that would turn out?

I think Gill would have done the same thing and I would not blame him. Wilson came on because he was asked and while on hold they blasted the program. What would you have done laughed and said yes the team sucked and hope not as much this season? The radio guys think they are smart and they have the last words so you can't repond. They hung up on him he didn't. Wilson just made alot of Hoosier fans!

OUmillenium
8/12/2011, 10:26 AM
I think the way KW defended his program sold IU pretty well. Showing fight and looking forward not backward is the type of leadership they need. Worked for Stoops when he came in.

And I am not the biggest KW fan, either.

badger
8/12/2011, 11:18 AM
If you've already listened to it, listen to it again. Upon second hearing, it really appears that KW is trying to joke a little back with them and just brush off the jab against IU.

And then it sounds like he's answering their questions, but they answer him back saying that he's giving them an attitude.

I love the facebook comments that are getting tossed up by OU fans and some B1G area guys too all defending KW, saying they've met him and he's a class act. Hope KW takes those Sooner clone uniforms and "Plays 13" like the IU team once proclaimed a few years ago. Actually, I hope they 1-up that and play 14. One extra one for the B1G title. Go KW!

OhU1
8/12/2011, 04:46 PM
KW was awesome. If I was an IU fan I would be fired up.

That being said when I turned on the radio this morning I came in on the words "our record was 5-7" and the angry serious voice sounded exactly like "Super Dave Osborne" - I though Steeley was doing one of his Uncle-like characters and doing a bit on Texas. I was laughing my *** off immediately.

C&CDean
8/12/2011, 05:05 PM
Having been around KW fairly extensively for the past several years I can honestly state the guy is not a very nice guy. He treats those in positions lower than him like crap. I've seen him be ****ty to wait staff, audio-visual guys, etc. He's focused, and I think he'll do well, but the guy is a surly, rarely smiling dude.

None of the conference center workers wanted to have anything to do with him. They all love Bob, Bobby Jack, Venables, Jackie, Josh, and even Gundy, but not Wilson.

That being said, those radio jocks were little girly men going on a rant and were giant vajays for cutting him off and then running their mouths. I hope IU beats UI by a hundred this year.

Soonermagik
8/14/2011, 07:06 PM
I have also heard Wilson is a very intense and focused guy. He's not a guy that messes around and that's a good thing. Sure, you would like the guy to be more friendly, but that was beyond rude to insult IU with him on the phone. Wilson isn't used to having to defend a program i.e. OU, so I think he's beyond fired up to prove himself and IU.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/14/2011, 10:01 PM
Wilson needed to focus more on goal line play-calling. Fortunately, that won't be a problem with Coach Heupel and Oklahoma won't lose games that they would have otherwise won for that reason. Wilson had/has a great system, but I am glad that Coach Huepel is now calling the plays.

sooner518
8/15/2011, 09:56 AM
Summary:
KW got overly sensitive for some harmless, tame jokes about the history of IU football.

Then the radio guys got all bitchy.

Then KW seemed to calm down and answer their questions.

Then radio guys continue being bitchy, and hang up on KW.

Radio guys continue to whine like little girls because KW didnt talk nice to them.

Radio guys say KW will fail at IU because he was mean to them.

Basically, they all acted dumb, but the radio guys were worse IMO. But they were probably just trying to fill space at that time.