PDA

View Full Version : So Boise State does cheat?

OU_Sooners75
8/10/2011, 11:03 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/41574/boise-state-self-imposes-sanctions

Boise State has self-imposed sanctions on the football program in response to the secondary NCAA violations it committed from 2005-09. The Broncos will have at least three fewer preseason practices before their game against Georgia on Sept. 3, according to documents obtained by The Idaho Statesman.

The school also will have three fewer scholarships to give over the next two years, and three fewer practices before the season opener against Michigan State in 2012 as well.

The NCAA can accept these punishments or dole out stiffer penalties following its Committee on Infractions meeting June 10.

The Broncos plan to fight the "lack of institutional control" charge, saying the secondary violations were a result of a misunderstanding of NCAA rules. When they found out about the major violation in the women's tennis program, the school immediately fired the head coach and assistant coach.

"I’m hopeful the infractions committee will understand. It’s not as though we tolerated an individual who would commit a major violation,” school president Bob Kustra told the newspaper.

The lost practices could end up having a bigger impact on Boise State than the scholarship losses. Those fall practices are critical not only in terms of game-plan installation, but also in getting the team completely prepared for the season. Not only that, the practices that are going to be lost are ones that the players would have been in pads, practices that allow the players to prepare for taking hits after months off. Even with a full complement of practices, teams are rusty and mistake-prone in season openers. Last season, the opener against Virginia Tech was not exactly a work of art.

Every year, Boise State must be perfect in order to have a shot at a BCS game, never mind a potential national championship game. This year is no exception, especially since the Broncos are playing an SEC team, the ultimate chance to prove they can play with a team in the best conference in the country. The last time Boise State played Georgia, it got whipped pretty good. And while this year's team is far better than the 2005 version, that doesn't stop its critics from bringing up that loss.

Three fewer practices may not seem like a lot, but every practice is important. There is no way to make up for that lost practice time. We'll have to wait and see what type of impact that has on Boise State come game time.

Hmmmm....whoduthunkit?

badger
8/11/2011, 08:29 AM
Take away their victories. Especially the one in January 2007! :mad:

NMSooner'80
8/11/2011, 09:22 AM
I'm too lazy to research what Potato Aggy did, but I like it that they're getting some bad pub. That whole David/Goliath garbage from the Fiasco Bowl is one of the biggest lies ever perpetuated in the national media, for starters. And the local media treats Boise better than they do UNM in general.

Seriously, you can only take that old storyline so much before you heave for days.

LVSOONER15
8/11/2011, 09:34 AM
I'm too lazy to research what Potato Aggy did, but I like it that they're getting some bad pub. That whole David/Goliath garbage from the Fiasco Bowl is one of the biggest lies ever perpetuated in the national media, for starters. And the local media treats Boise better than they do UNM in general.

Seriously, you can only take that old storyline so much before you heave for days.

This, thanks NMSOONER, that David/Goliath thing is total garbage.

virginiasooner
8/11/2011, 09:39 AM
So I guess it means that the only honest D1 football program in the nation is the Whiny A$$ ti** babies from South Bend, Indiana.

badger
8/11/2011, 10:21 AM
Here's all you need to know without having to know more: Boise State let their longtime athletic director go. Dude had been with Boise since the early 80s, invented Smurf Turf and brought their football program up to D-1 level and THEY LET HIM GO OVER THIS.

That's all you need to know. It's severe enough that they let the father of modern smurfie athletics go.

Sooner_Tuf
8/11/2011, 12:04 PM
They had multiple violations in multiple sports including letting an athlete compete that wasn't even enrolled in classes.

OU_Sooners75
8/11/2011, 12:32 PM
Oh, this goes alot further than football. NCAA is talking lack of institutional control from happenings from almost all their athletic programs.

Football's was minor...but the athletic department and university just looked the other way while Boise endorsed cheating.

So now you know why they were able to move from a JUCO to D1 in such a short time and be as successful as they have been!

Pricetag
8/11/2011, 12:38 PM
This year is no exception, especially since the Broncos are playing an SEC team (Georgia), the ultimate chance to prove they can play with a team in the best conference in the country.
Seriously, how is Boise so good at scheduling big name teams for years that they end up being down? Whoever is doing their scheuling needs to quit and work as a consultant, warning big programs when a down year is coming.

NMSooner'80
8/11/2011, 02:15 PM
This, thanks NMSOONER, that David/Goliath thing is total garbage.

People probably think I react to the memory of that debacle the way I do, just because we lost. A big reason why I get mad about it all over again is because of the blatant lie that OU '06 was some sort of super-power, and "little Boise State" was about a 60-point underdog who battled against great odds all night. The truth was, they were loaded and more experienced than OU was that year. I knew they were good, because they beat Utah in Salt Lake City by a count of 36-3. Utah was a bowl team in '06, too.

The one that's almost as absurd, and makes me 10 times angrier is the Mistake of '88. "Danny and the Miracles" my butt! The Beakers were ranked well ahead of in every preseason basketball poll going into that season - and they severely underachieved until the NCAA tourney. And in that jumbled mess, they had every higher-ranked team lose the game before KU played them, then they got KSU in the regional finals, who they'd somehow beaten before and knew it could be done again.

And of course, the Mistake of '88 was literally a hostile, road crowd, and it didn't hurt KU's cause any that the national media hated Billy and the Boys, and made sure that the whole country believed that was a David/Goliath case. :mad: