PDA

View Full Version : Friends reruns

Penguin
8/10/2011, 10:55 PM
This disturbs me greatly. Friends reruns that we enjoy today are 30 minutes long. However, if you remember, Friends was "super-sized" for several seasons on NBC where each episode ran for 40-50 minutes.

This means that there are entire storylines and jokes that we may never see again! They are sitting on the cutting room floor. This saddens me. Am I the only one bothered by this?

SicEmBaylor
8/10/2011, 11:08 PM
Yes, Friends sucked.

Penguin
8/10/2011, 11:24 PM
:mad:

nighttrain12
8/10/2011, 11:27 PM
They probably cut all the storylines with black people in them ... oh wait.

hawaii 5-0
8/11/2011, 01:04 AM
I liked the monkey in the early episodes.

5-0

Trump/ Maurice 2012

Curly Bill
8/11/2011, 01:56 AM
Seinfeld > Friends

So, to answer the OP's question: meh

SicEmBaylor
8/11/2011, 02:32 AM
Seinfeld > Friends

Frasier>Seinfeld>Friends

MR2-Sooner86
8/11/2011, 05:19 AM
Frasier>Seinfeld>Friends

Frasier was good but I thought it started to really struggle once Niles and Daphne got together.

Curly Bill
8/11/2011, 05:46 AM
Never cared for Frasier.

Seinfeld > Third Rock > Friends > Frasier

Sooner_Tuf
8/11/2011, 06:00 AM
Turning the TV off > all the shows mentioned

Curly Bill
8/11/2011, 06:05 AM
Turning the TV off > all the shows mentioned

But not all the time. Gotta have that TV fix sometimes. :D

Boomer.....
8/11/2011, 07:20 AM
Seinfeld > Friends

This!

soonerbrat
8/11/2011, 07:22 AM
the DVD's have the full episodes.

Wishboned
8/11/2011, 08:09 AM
Every episode wasn't super-sized. Just certain ones. Usually during sweeps.

SoonerBK
8/11/2011, 08:28 AM
Never cared for Frasier.

Seinfeld > Third Rock > Friends > Frasier

What? No it goes like this:
Seinfeld > Wings > Cheers > Seinfeld Reruns on Channel 9 > Freinds

Curly Bill
8/11/2011, 08:29 AM
Never liked Wings, and Cheers.. I can take it or leave it.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/11/2011, 08:50 AM
They can cut out all the camera shots of that Schwimmer guy and the show will improve.

ouleaf
8/11/2011, 09:04 AM
Seinfeld > Friends

Agree....always enjoy coming home from work and watching the Seinfeld reruns on TBS. Loved the "reunion" they did on Curb last season.

Barry's_Scowl
8/11/2011, 09:17 AM
Seinfeld > Friends

Reminds me of a question I've had for a while.

The Seinfeld reruns on TBS-HD seem to be in high definition. I know HD TVs, and even flat screen for that matter, were not being mass produced when Seinfeld went off the air. So was Seinfeld filmed on traditional film stock?

The picture quality is outstanding.

EDIT: Nevermind: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seinfeld#Seinfeld_in_HD

Filmed in glorious 35mm.

C&CDean
8/11/2011, 09:22 AM
M*A*S*H>Taxi>Seinfeld>All in the Family>Cheers>3's Company>Jefferson's>Infomercials>700 Club>Maury>Friends

jk the sooner fan
8/11/2011, 09:23 AM
Friends reminded me of.....

good times.....

rekamrettuB
8/11/2011, 10:04 AM
Almost every syndicated show is shorter for commercial reasons. When I watch Seinfeld on DVD there are always 1-2 scenes that I don't remember. They cut like 2-3 minutes of each show to air more commercials. Fun to see these scenes when you are used to not seeing them. And in the Seinfeld world, how everything is connected, they usually have to cut a line here and a line there to not screw up the continuity.

JohnnyMack
8/11/2011, 10:06 AM
Cheers.. I can take it or leave it.

Why don't you just go **** on an American flag you commie?

saucysoonergal
8/11/2011, 10:10 AM
All in the Family was the greatest Sit/Com ever made. M*A*S*H was a close second.

achiro
8/11/2011, 10:15 AM
I like how the OP just mentions friends and people go into a comparison barrage.:D

Friends was/is genius. A lot of the stuff they talked about on the show hadn't really been done the way they did it. It seems very mild compared to whats on now but a lot of it was pretty taboo before Friends.

Boomer.....
8/11/2011, 10:21 AM
M*A*S*H>Taxi>Seinfeld>All in the Family>Cheers>3's Company>Jefferson's>Infomercials>700 Club>Maury>Friends

Hey, finding out who the baby daddy is on Maury is entertaining.

:D

Boomer.....
8/11/2011, 10:22 AM
The only thing fun about Friends was Jennifer Aniston and her nips.

sooneron
8/11/2011, 10:22 AM
Reminds me of a question I've had for a while.

The Seinfeld reruns on TBS-HD seem to be in high definition. I know HD TVs, and even flat screen for that matter, were not being mass produced when Seinfeld went off the air. So was Seinfeld filmed on traditional film stock?

The picture quality is outstanding.

EDIT: Nevermind: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seinfeld#Seinfeld_in_HD

Filmed in glorious 35mm.
The reason why they have it in HD is probably because they did a re-transfer to HD .

Pretty much all sitcoms were shot on 35mm . Tey to watch the first season of Newhart- it was shot on video (1980's crap video) and it looked horrible. Today? I'm not sure. I do know that Modern Family is shot on RED HD (I know a director/shooter that rents his camera to them). Not sure about the others. It's probably more 50/50. OF course, the traditional sitcom is dwindling, as is film. RED Cameras and the Arri Alexa look WAY too good to spend $1 per sec for film stock and processing for something on teevee.

If you want to see what a great re-transfer to HD looks like, go buy Blade Runner at Best Buy for $10 on BD. It is ****ing phenomenal looking.

saucysoonergal
8/11/2011, 10:25 AM
I like how the OP just mentions friends and people go into a comparison barrage.:D

Friends was/is genius. A lot of the stuff they talked about on the show hadn't really been done the way they did it. It seems very mild compared to whats on now but a lot of it was pretty taboo before Friends.

Kind of like when I say Coke v. Pepsi and all the DP fans start chiming in! ;)

Barry's_Scowl
8/11/2011, 10:25 AM
Pretty much all sitcoms were shot on 35mm . Tey to watch the first season of Newhart- it was shot on video (1980's crap video) and it looked horrible. Today? I'm not sure. I do know that Modern Family is shot on RED HD (I know a director/shooter that rents his camera to them). Not sure about the others. It's probably more 50/50. OF course, the traditional sitcom is dwindling, as is film. RED Cameras and the Arri Alexa look WAY too good to spend $1 per sec for film stock and processing for something on teevee.

Yep. I think most of what you see on cable TV is shot on digital. I know Louis CK shoots "Louie" on RED HD, and edits it on a 13" Macbook. Amazing.

jk the sooner fan
8/11/2011, 10:32 AM
if you arent sure which tv show you like, just come here and ask - somebody will be sure to tell you how jacked up/stupid you are for the shows you do watch
and then you'll be told which shows are better

watch those from now on

sooneron
8/11/2011, 10:34 AM
Yep. I think most of what you see on cable TV is shot on digital. I know Louis CK shoots "Louie" on RED HD, and edits it on a 13" Macbook. Amazing.

I'm sure that you can still find a LOT of film being shot. The problem is, people (the masses and Pros) are getting used to digital. The crisp detail of it eliminates the grain detail that film has. It was what really separated the two. I was watching a new tech shootout and the people watching the footage were calling out the film on particular shots because of the grain. Grain can be beautiful. You can sort of add it in post, but it never has the filmic quality. It's sort of how everyone got jazzed about cds over tape or vinyl. Will a lot of people go back to film once their eyes tire of razor sharp images?

sooneron
8/11/2011, 10:34 AM
if you arent sure which tv show you like, just come here and ask - somebody will be sure to tell you how jacked up/stupid you are for the shows you do watch
and then you'll be told which shows are better

watch those from now on

Great, now my only choice will be Walker, Texass Ranger. :D

Barry's_Scowl
8/11/2011, 10:37 AM
I'm sure that you can still find a LOT of film being shot. The problem is, people (the masses and Pros) are getting used to digital. The crisp detail of it eliminates the grain detail that film has. It was what really separated the two. I was watching a new tech shootout and the people watching the footage were calling out the film on particular shots because of the grain. Grain can be beautiful. You can sort of add it in post, but it never has the filmic quality. It's sort of how everyone got jazzed about cds over tape or vinyl. Will a lot of people go back to film once their eyes tire of razor sharp images?

Still love film here. The Shining, 2001, and The Searchers all look amazing in Blu-Ray.

On a digital note, terrible acting and plot aside, I think the three Star Wars prequels also look like crap from being shot on digital. Practically everything, even the the non-CGI elements, look cartoonish.

JohnnyMack
8/11/2011, 10:42 AM
Still love film here. The Shining, 2001, and The Searchers all look amazing in Blu-Ray.

On a digital note, terrible acting and plot aside, I think the three Star Wars prequels also look like crap from being shot on digital. Practically everything, even the the non-CGI elements, look cartoonish.

That's because George Lucas needs to be raped by mountain gorillas.

saucysoonergal
8/11/2011, 10:43 AM
That's because George Lucas needs to be raped by mountain gorillas.

I thought he was and that led to Episodes 1, 2 & 3?

Barry's_Scowl
8/11/2011, 10:56 AM
I thought he was and that led to Episodes 1, 2 & 3?

So far, George has been doing most of the raping.

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/uploads/2008/10/southpark-indy-rape-3.jpg

rekamrettuB
8/11/2011, 11:00 AM
The only thing fun about Friends was Jennifer Aniston and her nips.
They definitely cranked the air down on that set.

sooneron
8/12/2011, 09:18 AM

That was the infancy of Theatrical HD. Those cameras were pretty much prototypes made by Sony. Their new F35s are flipping nice. Not sure if they beat the Alexa ( which is being used for Game of Thrones/Boardwalk Empire among others), but they look much better now, and besides, George is a dumbass.
This has been proven.

GDC
8/14/2011, 09:34 AM
Sanford and Son trumps them all.:D

jk the sooner fan
8/14/2011, 09:48 AM
Sanford and Son trumps them all.:D

you big dummy

GDC
8/14/2011, 05:09 PM
you big dummy

You just dumb, son. You just dumb.

:D

GKeeper316
8/14/2011, 05:35 PM
i feel it obligatory to mention the genius that was newsradio.

picasso
8/14/2011, 08:29 PM
Anniston never wore a bra.

nighttrain12
8/14/2011, 09:13 PM
Friends reminded me of.....

good times.....

DY-NO-MITE!! Though it was weird after John Amos left the show because the goofball JJ got so popular.

GKeeper316
8/14/2011, 09:33 PM
Anniston never wore a bra.

and they are still top shelf.