PDA

View Full Version : Marriage is like a napkin, not a paper towel

Chuck Bao
8/10/2011, 06:42 PM
My mind just spins out of control with this "metaphysical" analogy by one of the GOP luminaries vying to be the next president of the US, Senator Rick Santorum.

I did not mean to start another political thread, but I am just curious of how any of you read his comment: "marriage is like a napkin, not a paper towel".

I am just guessing here but I suppose when you eat out in public and all at a proper restaurant, you put the cloth napkin on your lap. You wouldn't put a paper towel on your lap unless you are cheap or a pig.

Alright, some of you probably deserve a bib, but that is besides the point.

So, paper versus plastic? Presidential type of decision pending here.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2011/08/09/Rick_Santorum__Marriage_Is_Like_a_Napkin,_Not_a_Pa per_Towel/

Rick Santorum tried again to explain why gays shouldn't be allowed to get married, and this time he went all "metaphysical."

The San Francisco Chronicle caught the moment on tape as Santorum stood before a small gathering of Iowans at a Hy-Vee grocery store, where customers filled drink cups and went on about their business while he spoke. The former Pennsylvania senator needed to get the voters' attention.

"This," he said suddenly, "is a napkin."

Santorum appears to yank a brown piece of paper, which might very well be a napkin, from a nearby dispenser.

"I can call this napkin a paper towel," he said. "But it is a napkin. And why? Because it is what it is. Right? You can call it whatever you want, but it doesn't change the character of what it is."

Veritas
8/10/2011, 06:47 PM
Santorum is a real person? I just thought that was slang for...something not appropriate for this board.

;)

Chuck Bao
8/10/2011, 07:12 PM
Santorum is a real person? I just thought that was slang for...something not appropriate for this board.

;)

Please do not make me google his name to figure that out. I am already puzzled enough and a pretty sad panda if I have to say so myself.

MR2-Sooner86
8/10/2011, 07:36 PM
Rick Santorum is as closed-minded a son of a bitch as that jizz snorter Jerry Farwell.

C&CDean
8/10/2011, 07:58 PM
Dang Chuck, you've eaten ribs before. A napkin shreds with the smallest amount of sauce/use. A paper towel is a lot tougher. Get it?

I'm sure there's a very deep message here...

mgsooner
8/10/2011, 08:00 PM
That's a real head scratcher

Caboose
8/10/2011, 08:05 PM
I think the argument he is trying to make is that gays do not want to be married... they want marriage to be something else. He likely believes that marriage is defined as the union of a man and a woman. So if a gay person says they want to be married it doesn't make a lot of sense unless you change what "married" means. A napkin isnt a paper towel = marriage isn't whatever it is that gay couples do. That is my best guess as to what he may be trying to say anyway.

olevetonahill
8/10/2011, 08:31 PM
Theres some weird sombitches here.

A marriage is between 2 individuals who want to share their lives .
Dont matter if ya need a napkin, a Paper towel, or a whole dayum roll of either.

Why do any of You care?:rolleyes:

soonercruiser
8/10/2011, 08:32 PM
Plastic!
(lasts longer)

jk the sooner fan
8/10/2011, 08:36 PM
not to get into the debate - but i think he was simply saying that the napkin represents a man and a woman - and a paper towel represents a man and a man - and that the two are different

SanJoaquinSooner
8/10/2011, 08:37 PM
Some people deny that a square is also a rectangle. They think squares and rectangles are disjoint sets.

OutlandTrophy
8/10/2011, 08:38 PM
maybe he was talking about a cloth napkin and that you don't throw it away like you do a paper towell.

You unwashed masses have used or at least seen a cloth napkin haven't you?

jk the sooner fan
8/10/2011, 08:40 PM
maybe he was talking about a cloth napkin and that you don't throw it away like you do a paper towell.

Nope....

soonercruiser
8/10/2011, 08:51 PM
One sheet of Bounty paper towels can pick up more than 3 paper napkins.
So, get vaccinated!

Chuck Bao
8/10/2011, 08:52 PM

No, not really, I normally just stick a roll of toilet paper on the dinner table and expect everyone to tear off as much as they need.

Soonerfan88
8/10/2011, 08:53 PM
I think the argument he is trying to make is that gays do not want to be married... they want marriage to be something else. He likely believes that marriage is defined as the union of a man and a woman. So if a gay person says they want to be married it doesn't make a lot of sense unless you change what "married" means. A napkin isnt a paper towel = marriage isn't whatever it is that gay couples do. That is my best guess as to what he may be trying to say anyway.

This was my interpretation also.

Wishboned
8/10/2011, 08:54 PM
What are his views on toilet paper?

jk the sooner fan
8/10/2011, 08:55 PM
What are his views on toilet paper?

2 ply!

tcrb
8/10/2011, 08:56 PM

This is how I also interpreted what he was trying to say. But the article doesn't give enough context to be sure.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/10/2011, 09:32 PM
We are governed by the constitution and its amendments, not paper towel and napkin analogies.

Rick Sanscrotum's definition of marriage contradicts the equal protection clause. He's welcome to use it for his own personal use or religious use, but not for legal use. The legal definition needs to be different.

thecynic
8/10/2011, 09:33 PM

If I were to guess, (and I am) this would be how I would interpret it.

olevetonahill
8/10/2011, 09:50 PM
And the **** heads are out in force :pop:

jk the sooner fan
8/11/2011, 06:59 AM
We are governed by the constitution and its amendments, not paper towel and napkin analogies.

Rick Sanscrotum's definition of marriage contradicts the equal protection clause. He's welcome to use it for his own personal use or religious use, but not for legal use. The legal definition needs to be different.

you can engage in all the amateur legal analysis you want but until the Supreme Court actually makes a ruling agreeing with you - there's no violation

it hasnt been argued

one day it will be, of this i'm certain

OutlandTrophy
8/11/2011, 08:07 AM
And the **** heads are out in force :pop:

that's not very nice

NormanPride
8/11/2011, 09:06 AM
lol

He said santorum.

TUSooner
8/11/2011, 09:20 AM
As a linguistic argument, it makes a tiny bit of sense. As a matter of policy, it's a soggy kleenex.

OUDoc
8/11/2011, 09:59 AM
Didn't he also say "A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish"?

jk the sooner fan
8/11/2011, 10:12 AM
EF0c2so977A