I'll just go ahead and put this right here:

http://sports.omaha.com/2011/08/10/why-oklahoma-isnt-no-1/

:pop:

soonersam
8/10/2011, 04:17 PM
huh??

Widescreen
8/10/2011, 04:18 PM
Seems OK to me. He makes some valid points. However, past performance doesn't always point to future results.

zeptrey
8/10/2011, 04:23 PM
Holy ****e... poor delusional and jealous Huskers.... sad to see frankly.

KantoSooner
8/10/2011, 04:32 PM
"Landry Jones’ skills remains unproven in a pinch"

a pinch like trailing by 17 points in a championship game? That kind of pinch? Or maybe a pinch like needing to score twice in the 4th quarter, in an away game, to salvage a victory...and the right to go to that championship game? Maybe that kind of pinch.

I used to respect Huskers. The last few years they joined the rest of the Big 12 North as whining loser ***-bandits. And then they crapped their pants and ran away to the Big10 to look for games they could win. Happily, they did so knowing that OU sent them on their way as losers. And that will burn for decades to come.

We may or may not be a legitimate shot at POST season No. 1; but it is utterly clear that Nebraska will not be there in the foreseeable future. Eat **** and die Cornhuskers.

BoulderSooner79
8/10/2011, 04:36 PM
Mostly old observations that have been cussed and discuss here many times. Every year and every team is different. No team really deserves #1 or any other number right now anyway.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/10/2011, 04:39 PM
Landry Jones’ skills remains unproven in a pinch

Heh. I guess being down 17 to nebbish isn't a pinch since they suck and all.

TheLadiesMike
8/10/2011, 04:41 PM
So essentially:

1. We have flaws in 1 or 2 games a year. Can anyone name a team that is perfect every year?

2. Using an arbitrary score, time span, and an arbitrary team for comparison, OU has given up a lot of points on defense. This has been discussed ad nauseum - our quick scoring offense makes the defense look statistically worse than it is. Also, who cares if Nebraska only gave up 21 if they lost 21-10 and if we gave up 24 if we won 62-24?

3. We've lost 15 road or neutral games in the last decade. Has any BCS team lost less? Alabama has lost 12 just going back to the 2006 season. Florida has 10 going back to the 2005 season. Oh, and both of these teams lose at home more than OU does.

4. He has a weird definition of national championship caliber team - somehow the 1 loss #6 Oregon team OU beat in the Holiday bowl does not count but the 2 loss West Virginia team in the Fiesta Bowl does count. Plus, this is pretty much double counting teams OU has lost to at neutral sites. Maybe the record is not good because they are national championship caliber?

5. He says OU will find a way to lose. BCS teams with undefeated seasons since 2000:

-Oklahoma
-Ohio State
-Auburn
-USC
-Texas
-Alabama
-Auburn

So his conclusion is valid about every single team in football.

ThinMan
8/10/2011, 04:52 PM
Texas Tech was #1 or #2 when we beat them? Had beaten Texas just a few weeks before and yet the Texas game counts against us, but je selectively doesn't count the Texas Tech game.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the SOLE argument against them that year was that WE beat them. How's that for letting the conclusion make the points of argument.

LASooner
8/10/2011, 04:58 PM
Why Bloggers aren't really reporters.... same link

49r
8/10/2011, 05:25 PM
*grunt* Oooofh! Hey buddy!

In case anyone didn't get why I put that first line there:

rf2xEjWzveA

cccasooner2
8/10/2011, 05:29 PM
"Well, which team would I want to coach? And which coach doesn’t entirely rub me the wrong way? The Sooners of course...."

A man of genius!!!

Always_Sooner
8/10/2011, 05:46 PM
I agree with some of the points made about defense on the road, but the validity lacks a structural argument. How do you consider national title caliber teams? That is a person's opinion and it is not a fact.

Okie35
8/10/2011, 05:54 PM
He seems like a person that just started watching CFB and doesn't know what preseason number 1 means.

delhalew
8/10/2011, 05:56 PM
His grapes...they have soured.

PDXsooner
8/10/2011, 07:36 PM
You know, he makes some good points. But anyone that has been in enough college football arguments over the years should know that you can build a convincing case exactly like that against ANY other team as well. You can reach back 2, 5, or 10 years to make your case and pull out tons of examples to prove your point. Doesn't matter. No one is bullet proof.

cccasooner2
8/10/2011, 07:56 PM
You know, he makes some good points. But anyone that has been in enough college football arguments over the years should know that you can build a convincing case exactly like that against ANY other team as well. You can reach back 2, 5, or 10 years to make your case and pull out tons of examples to prove your point. Doesn't matter. No one is bullet proof.

Did you ever hear or read about the similarities between the assassinations of Kennedy and Lincoln? Wow, now that's some heavy shat man. Toke me up.
One thing they never seem to mention is that a bullet was used in both.

OUNASH
8/10/2011, 08:02 PM
Opinions are like a**holes everybody has one.

1890MilesToNorman
8/10/2011, 08:09 PM
I got one, and they ain't a gonna like it.

A Sooner in Texas
8/10/2011, 08:13 PM
And yet he didn't name another team that does deserve to be ranked No. 1...most likely because they also would have weaknesses?

PDXsooner
8/10/2011, 08:22 PM
And yet he didn't name another team that does deserve to be ranked No. 1...most likely because they also would have weaknesses?

Precisely.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/10/2011, 08:39 PM
Well, I am more dumb for reading that. No thanks for the link!

2004 BCS National Championship: LSU’s ground game and defense grinds OU. Sooners lose 21-14.

Jason White threw a pick six to start the 2nd half. The score went from 14-14 to 21-14, which was the final score of the game. 14 points? Sounds like an offensive problem, not a defensive problem.

2005 BCS National Championship: USC’s speed and defensive scheme runs OU off the field. Sooners lose 55-19.

The whole team was bad, but FIVE turnovers is what made it a blow-out. That would be an offensive problem. And 19 points isn't exactly an offensive explosion.

2005 Texas game: Blowout. Sooners lose 45-12.

Who didn't beat Oklahoma in 2005? (yeah, I know 8-4, but point still stands) 12 points and 171 total yards and two turnovers led to scores? Sounds like an offensive problem.

2007 Fiesta Bowl: Boise State trick punks OU. Sooners lose 43-42.

Oklahoma had 4 turnovers. One of those was a pick six. Another was around the Oklahoma 5 yard line on a PT fumble. Do the math. Another offensive problem. Anyone that watched Oklahoma that season knew that PT had a very strong reliance on Malcolm Kelly who wasn't available for that game.

2008 Fiesta Bowl: West Virginia’s spread option befuddles OU’s defense, which spends the night in futile pursuit of Mountaineer skill players. Sooners lose 48-28.

Oklahoma's defense was bad, but having 3 key players out on defense and Oklahoma's two best weapons on offense not named Sam Bradford in Demarco Murray and Malcolm Kelly was a HUGE issue as 6 fricking points in the 1st half isn't going to get it done.

2008 Texas game: OU blows early 14-3 lead, Stoops’ special teams gamble doesn’t pay off. Sooners lose 45-35.

Texas had 0 rushing yards and no run over 6 yards for the first half and then in the first series of the second half. Oklahoma loses Reynolds for the season and Texas finishes that game with 165 rushing yards including a 60 yarder by Chris Obongalotsofillegal. Injuries are reasons, not excuses. Sorry, honesty > sportsmanship.

2009 BCS National Championship: OU has Florida on the ropes for the whole first half, but gets stuffed twice inside the Gators’ 5-yard line. UF adjusts at halftime and dominates the second half. Sooners lose 24-14.

Florida dominates the second half yet the score is 14-14 in the 4th quarter? Regardless, another game of being an offensive problem. An offensive problem on the goal line that no longer exists since Kevin Wilson is gone. And don't think a much more versatile Murray would have helped if he would have been available? Riiiiight.

2009 Texas game: Well-played on defense. Sam Bradford gets hurt again. Sooners lose 16-13.

13 points looks like an offensive problem, not a defensive problem.

That idiot doesn't realize just how many scores in those 24 or more point games by the opposition occurred from giving up kickoff returns for TDs or pick six scenarios. That idiot also doesn't realize that Oklahoma leads the nation in the number of games that are over by half-time in recent years. A lot of teams got junk points well after the game was over.

And maybe he should diagnose recent seasons not including Bob Stoops two worst seasons in 2005 and 2009 (not including the 1999 debute year), which were massive rebuilding years with massive injury problems. A lot of numbers got distorted those two seasons for these reasons.

Just because he is a blogger doesn't mean he automatically has to be stupid.

BigTip
8/10/2011, 09:38 PM
We're doomed.

Boooom!
8/10/2011, 09:53 PM

Exactly. By his logic, every team in the nation is undeserving to be No. 1 - for perhaps the exception of a half dozen or so over the last three decades.

AlboSooner
8/10/2011, 09:58 PM
this affects something about my life

tanjou
8/10/2011, 10:15 PM
They're all valid points. Similar things could be said for lots of other top teams, too.

Oklahoma has lost to some of the very best teams in college football? Well, yeah, that's most teams.

e: actually, I guess that's every team.

Sooner_Tuf
8/10/2011, 11:16 PM
Those years OU was playing in the Title Game what were the Huskers doing? Why were they doing that? Because they had gotten beat up by practically every North Team and were duking it out with teams like SDSU.

Pricetag
8/10/2011, 11:45 PM
Why Bloggers aren't really reporters.... same link
This. I love how he lays it out there point by point, like this same stuff hasn't been said about OU every year since 2005.

delhalew
8/10/2011, 11:51 PM
Shocking to see a Husker downplay the significance of OU sending them packing with another loss.

sooner59
8/10/2011, 11:51 PM
They are just pizzed that we beat them last year and cost them going out in a blaze of glory.