PDA

View Full Version : Do we win #6 & #7 w/o the Boz & Calmus?

tfoolry
8/10/2011, 09:00 AM
I don't think so. Not only did those guys lead the their respective defenses during the regular season but they both stepped up in their respective MNC games too. Boz had 13 solo tackles against PSU in '85 Orange Bowl & Rocky had the infamous strip when OU was only up 6-0 in 4th in '00 Orange Bowl. Unfortunately, I'm really pissimestic about our OUr chances of #8 without a healthy #28.

jk the sooner fan
8/10/2011, 09:01 AM
i dont think anybody expected Travis Lewis to have the year he did as a freshman -so lets give the other kid a chance. Besides, Lewis isnt out for the entire year

sooner518
8/10/2011, 09:15 AM
he will miss 3, maybe 4 games. i think we can get past this.

KantoSooner
8/10/2011, 09:42 AM
Whenever you praise Bosworth, you should throw Casillas in there as well. Boz would never have had the numbers he did without that monster in front of him.

Muno
8/10/2011, 09:45 AM
Well if we are trying to compare apples to apples then you have to look at missing those guys for the first four games of the season (assuming 4 games but obviously we won't know for sure until Travis returns):

Calmus - I'm pretty confident we beat UTEP, Arkansas State, Rice and Kansas without him.

Boz - This one is tougher because we lost to Miami in the 4th game of the season. The Minnesota and Texas games were close so its possible we lose one of those without Boz but I'm not sure it was a given.

So to answer your question: yes without Calmus probably not without Boz but still possible.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/10/2011, 09:49 AM
Offensive performances have been the biggest problem in bowl games over the past decade, not defensive performances. I will save the long response as soon as someone tries to argue the statement I have made. :P

And as stated, TLEW isn't out for the season and he could be back anywhere from the FSU game to the Ball St. game. Where this truly becomes a big time problem is if then a Nelson or Wort gets hurt, that's when the pain and great negative impact is truly felt.

Make no mistake, I wish he wouldn't have got injured and I hope he is back as safely and soon as possible, but we are going to go ga-ga over Nelson the way we did with Curtis Lofton and then TLEW. Nelson isn't going to be a bad arse, he IS a bad arse.

KantoSooner
8/10/2011, 09:54 AM
I have not kept up with our situation on other LB's. Anyone who could lose a red shirt if need be?

BoulderSooner79
8/10/2011, 10:14 AM
The odds of winning the BCS title are against every team before the first game is played. OUr odds just dipped a bit more; it remains to be seen how much.

rekamrettuB
8/10/2011, 10:16 AM
DOOOOOMMMMMEEEEDDDDD!!!! Hope OU can win 5-7 games this year.

badger
8/10/2011, 10:41 AM
:mad: It's not like Travis turned pro or anything. He turned his foot and will be back in time to wear his golden hat!

Quik Sand
8/10/2011, 10:45 AM
Come back in off the ledge geez. Not like he is out for the year.

BoulderSooner79
8/10/2011, 10:54 AM
Come back in off the ledge geez. Not like he is out for the year.

Exactly. And we all know Stoops believes in full and honest disclosure when it comes to injury reports.

badger
8/10/2011, 11:04 AM
Exactly. And we all know Stoops believes in full and honest disclosure when it comes to injury reports.

I think he believes in overestimating injury outage time so that players can impress everyone by coming back early :D

BoulderSooner79
8/10/2011, 11:09 AM
I think he believes in overestimating injury outage time so that players can impress everyone by coming back early :D

Kind of like Scotty's repair time estimates on the old Star Trek? ;)

Another interesting thing about this injury is that it has revealed many more chinks in the FSU armor. Amazing what a toe can do. FSU should knock wood along with OU fans that we've seen the last of such injuries, or they may make the bottom 10 list.

htownsooner7
8/10/2011, 11:17 AM
I don't think so. Not only did those guys lead the their respective defenses during the regular season but they both stepped up in their respective MNC games too. Boz had 13 solo tackles against PSU in '85 Orange Bowl & Rocky had the infamous strip when OU was only up 6-0 in 4th in '00 Orange Bowl. Unfortunately, I'm really pissimestic about our OUr chances of #8 without a healthy #28.

This post is off base for a number of reasons, but dare I ask.. Would Calmus have sat out the 2000 MNC or would Boz have sat out the '85 Orange Bowl if they broke a bone in their foot/toe (still can't figure out what happened) 38 days before the game? I don't know that T Lewis will end up sitting out the game at FSU, unless forced to by team physicians.

The Maestro
8/10/2011, 11:21 AM
Whenever you praise Bosworth, you should throw Casillas in there as well. Boz would never have had the numbers he did without that monster in front of him.

THIS! We ran the 5-2 back in those days which meant linebackers racked up huge numbers. Casillas got like 18 tackles a year and was incredible...cause it took 2, sometimes 3 guys to block him. Boz was a stud, no doubt, but he just waited for running backs in those days and drilled them.

We could have won in 1985 without Boz. That defense was dominant all over the field. Go see November, 1985. I do believe Rocky was a must have in 2000 to win it all. That team had a lot of heart and was the best as far as being a complete "team", but not a lot of stars.

SoonerNomad
8/10/2011, 11:29 AM
This post is off base for a number of reasons, but dare I ask.. Would Calmus have sat out the 2000 MNC or would Boz have sat out the '85 Orange Bowl if they broke a bone in their foot/toe (still can't figure out what happened) 38 days before the game? I don't know that T Lewis will end up sitting out the game at FSU, unless forced to by team physicians.

I've seen a couple of veiled references to this over the last couple of days. Are you, and the others, saying that either Lewis or the coaches would have Lewis sit out games that he didn't have to sit out and that he, if he was more manly or if the coaches had more huevos, should be playing?

He has an injury where he cannot play. When he can play he will be back out there. He has proven over three years both his willingness and his resiliency to play through pain and through tough times.

Travis Lewis will play if he can. The coaches will play him if he can play.

I don't know how anything other than that crosses peoples' minds.

BoulderSooner79
8/10/2011, 11:44 AM
He has an injury where he cannot play. When he can play he will be back out there. He has proven over three years both his willingness and his resiliency to play through pain and through tough times.

I ought to neg you to Bolivia. You can take your rational thought process and wet blanket elsewhere. :P

tfoolry
8/10/2011, 11:49 AM
Deion had a minor foot injury against Philly back in 2000, was cleared to play later in season, was never the same and ended up retiring at end of year. #28 is my fav. player & was looking forward to seeing him knock people around next month but not sure if he'll be anywhere near what he was at end of last year when he does come back. Between seeing my fav. Sooner get injured & losing my arse in the market in past week, I really feel like this guy.

http://www.darrenlynnbousman.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Velvetkick1.jpg

thecrimsoncrusader
8/10/2011, 11:56 AM
I'm sure we can find another linebacker that hasn't even caught seven passes!

pweitkem
8/10/2011, 12:02 PM
Torrence Marshall > Tom Wort

Wort has potential, but Marshall made Calmus much better.

htownsooner7
8/10/2011, 12:04 PM
I've seen a couple of veiled references to this over the last couple of days. Are you, and the others, saying that either Lewis or the coaches would have Lewis sit out games that he didn't have to sit out and that he, if he was more manly or if the coaches had more huevos, should be playing?

Why are you so sure that he will miss 8 weeks? There are lot of things about this confuse a number of us. It is possible that the extent of the injury has not been disclosed, it is possible that they have overestimated the recovery time, it is possible that this is a Bradford deal. He came back how much quicker than they originally reported? He'll he threw 50 passes against Baylor that week. My point was that I believe the recovery time period may have been overstated and that he may be back for FSU.

BoulderSooner79
8/10/2011, 12:32 PM
Why are you so sure that he will miss 8 weeks? There are lot of things about this confuse a number of us. It is possible that the extent of the injury has not been disclosed, it is possible that they have overestimated the recovery time, it is possible that this is a Bradford deal. He came back how much quicker than they originally reported? He'll he threw 50 passes against Baylor that week. My point was that I believe the recovery time period may have been overstated and that he may be back for FSU.

Nobody is sure it's 8 weeks. Could be 6, could be 10 - the point (at least my point) is we don't know. Folks want to imagine it will be less because they want it to be less, and back it up with unrelated stories of other injuries. BTW, Bradford came back too soon. That tackle in the RRS that took him out the rest of the year was a love tap and would not have been anything had he not really been already injured. Did Finch come back too soon last year which lead to reinjury and surgery? Maybe.

bigfatjerk
8/10/2011, 12:43 PM
Didn't Lee Roy Selmon miss the first game or two one of the NC years because of his heart condition? If this was Lewis missing half the year or the entire year I would be worried but this is the first 3 games. Not really worried.

thecynic
8/10/2011, 12:54 PM
I wouldn't be too worried myself if FSU wasn't sitting there staring at us. That being said, we've lost two starters off a Defense that was 53rd in the country last year. While we'll get one back at some time, it still can't be good.

BoulderSooner79
8/10/2011, 01:23 PM
Didn't Lee Roy Selmon miss the first game or two one of the NC years because of his heart condition? If this was Lewis missing half the year or the entire year I would be worried but this is the first 3 games. Not really worried.

Thanks, Doc. But if it turns out to be more than 3 games, I'm suing you for malpractice. :mad: ;)

badger
8/10/2011, 02:20 PM
Torrence Marshall > Tom Wort

Wort has potential, but Marshall made Calmus much better.

British Boz Wortworth is only a sophomore. Give him time and he'll be taking back his boy's trophies too :)

pweitkem
8/11/2011, 09:44 AM
British Boz Wortworth is only a sophomore. Give him time and he'll be taking back his boy's trophies too :)

You got my boys trophy.... I want it back.

That was the all time best coin toss, Torrence was scary. Weinke got owned that game.