PDA

View Full Version : End of the BIG XII - THREAD FOR ALL REALIGNMENT DISCUSSION

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

delhalew
8/12/2011, 03:43 PM
I really want to go to the Big 10 with Mizzou. That would be awesome to play Nebbish every year again.

Meh. I'd take it if I never have to hear the name Beebe again.

SicEmBaylor
8/12/2011, 03:46 PM
Beebe reminds me of Tom Stanton, and that is definitely no compliment. I wouldn't hire that bozo to organize a one float parade.

delhalew
8/12/2011, 03:52 PM
Beebe reminds me of Tom Stanton, and that is definitely no compliment. I wouldn't hire that bozo to organize a one float parade.

It's hard to imagine someone doing a worse job of managing w conference.

Brophog
8/12/2011, 03:52 PM

It wouldn't matter if it were a 10 float parade, because he'd only care about one float, anyhow.

northspeter
8/12/2011, 03:53 PM
The Kansas City market and Kansas basketball > anything that comes out of Lubbock.

The Kansas City market is 31st largest, Lubbock is 143rd.

all that greatness will get kansas to the big east...

BoulderSooner79
8/12/2011, 03:55 PM
It wouldn't matter if it were a 10 float parade, because he'd only care about one float, anyhow.

And he'd name it the float-12

NormanPride
8/12/2011, 03:57 PM
Item 15) Authorization for the President to Take All Actions Relating to Texas A&M University's Athletic Conference Alignment, The Texas A&M University System ...

Uh oh.

westbrooke
8/12/2011, 04:04 PM
I have to think Mizzou is on the phone with the Big-10 ... the ACC has to be on the line with some Big East members...

Missouri must be soiling themselves right now. They so clearly wanted the Big 10 to pick them last year, and the Big 10 pretty clearly demonstrated that they weren't interested unless some apocalyptic realignment was going down. Missouri's best chance right now is for such epic **** to hit the fan that Notre Dame actually feels insecure enough to finally join the Big 10 and then for Missouri to sneak in with them to keep the numbers even. If that's the case, they should be doing everything they can to poison the Big 12-2 well so OU heads west.

And I find it funny ("ha-ha," not "unusual") to imagine that the ACC would go back to plunder the Big East again. It's like the Big East is their double-A league.

mgsooner
8/12/2011, 04:10 PM
I think this is actually going to happen.

sooner_born_1960
8/12/2011, 04:11 PM
Good for them.

colleyvillesooner
8/12/2011, 04:14 PM
**** them. Just a new conference for them to get spanked in.

Pricetag
8/12/2011, 04:19 PM
Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe has told Texas A&M that Texas holds the key to the long-term future of the Big 12
If he really said that, why would any school want to stay in the Big 12?

htownsooner7
8/12/2011, 04:20 PM
Dear Aggies,

The Big 12 South has just 6 teams. In 2005, you were 3-5 in the Big 12 and finished 4th in the Big 12 South. In 2006, you finished 3rd in the Big 12 South. In 2007, 4 more losses in the conference and finished ahead of only Baylor. In 2008, 6 conference losses and tied with Baylor for last. In 2009, 5 more conference losses, 5th in the Big 12 South. In 2010, A&M had its best team of the decade, finished 3rd in the Big 12 South due to the official tie breaker, did not qualify for the conference championship, but did qualify for an asswhipping by the SEC's 4th best team, LSU, in the Cotton Bowl. As The Rock says, know your role and shut your damn mouth.

Sincerely,

Top Tier College Football Teams That Shape the College Football Landscape

mgsooner
8/12/2011, 04:22 PM
Kirk Bohls: Texas AD DeLoss Dodds tells me "it looks to me like they're leaving," says he thinks B12 would be OK with 9 teams, prefers 10.

C&CDean
8/12/2011, 04:27 PM
**** it. Let's dump Baylor and go back to the Big 8. Or go independent.

soonervegas
8/12/2011, 04:31 PM
Kirk Bohls: Texas AD DeLoss Dodds tells me "it looks to me like they're leaving," says he thinks B12 would be OK with 9 teams, prefers 10.

Like nails on a chalk board

Veritas
8/12/2011, 04:40 PM
I really want to go to the Big 10 with Mizzou. That would be awesome to play Nebbish every year again.
Everybody up here in Nebbish is hoping that scenario pans out. Except for the Mizzou part. They're worthless and their fans...blech. Much rather bring KU.

northspeter
8/12/2011, 04:47 PM
ive read and heard its a&m and mizzou to the sec west with some combination of 2 schools between fsu, va tech, ga tech, and clemson... to the sec east... i think ou goes out west, like pacific style or nowhere at all...

LASooner
8/12/2011, 04:47 PM
Beebe claims he never said it. FSU says it's only rumors about their involment. All that said, ESPN is now the mouthpiece for Texas, caveat emptor

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6857085/sec-high-demand-texas-florida-state-talk-simmers

RIPOUinsider
8/12/2011, 04:48 PM
Can't wait for this to be finalized so all the other dominoes can start falling.

Veritas
8/12/2011, 04:49 PM
Beebe claims he never said it. FSU says it's only rumors about their involment. All that said, ESPN is now the mouthpiece for Texas, caveat emptor

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6857085/sec-high-demand-texas-florida-state-talk-simmers
Beebe speaks with a forked tongue at all times.

sjt
8/12/2011, 04:53 PM
Here is a thread from a K-State board. Are they serious? Do they really think they are going to join the SEC????

http://goemaw.com/forum/index.php?topic=14051.0

silverwheels
8/12/2011, 04:59 PM
Here is a thread from a K-State board. Are they serious? Do they really think they are going to join the SEC????

LMAO. They can't be serious with that.

After reading the whole thread, yeah, they are joking.

northspeter
8/12/2011, 05:05 PM

sarcasm....

reevie
8/12/2011, 05:09 PM

They think Texas is their rival and Eli Manning played at Troy. Are they trying to be delusional Aggies?

reevie
8/12/2011, 05:24 PM
sarcasm....

Ok...I couldn't keep reading it

BigTip
8/12/2011, 05:27 PM
I don't care what happens to the Big 12 anymore. There has been so much change in the football landscape that all "tradition" has gone out the door.

You know that the all mighty dollar has taken over all decision making, as opposed to adhering to any semblance of tradition, when our own powers that be seriously discuss moving the RRS from Dallas to a home and home. The best college game in the country, and for a few bucks more, both schools would lay a big stinky turd on it.

I have given up on pro sports because all the strikes just made me realize I was only rooting for a business, not "my" team. I might as well cheer for Burger King to sell more burgers than Wendy's.

Now all this dollar chasing in the college ranks is just about to put me off it too. It really, really, gets me down.

sigh

Salt City Sooner
8/12/2011, 05:29 PM
FWIW, that KSU board is the same board that was having all kinds of fun w/ Box's death.

Sooner5030
8/12/2011, 05:29 PM
we (B12) were too greedy to expand back to 12 when CU and UNL split. We (B12) should've had a plan for expansion with folks like BYU, CSU & AFA. Adding any team in texas does nothing as every ABC affiliate will already show the B12 game.

silverwheels
8/12/2011, 05:31 PM
FWIW, that's the same board that was having all kinds of fun w/ Box's death.

Well, they are Kansas State fans. Can't get too classy, now, can they?

northspeter
8/12/2011, 05:38 PM
fyi... lots of twitter chatter among some national media.. that the acc, big east and pac12 are all putting out invites... this thing is changing big and changing fast... 16 team leagues across the board...

also something else ive been reading and hearing is that ou, osu and texas are a 3 team alliance... it'll be a package deal... most likely pac12...

Soonerite
8/12/2011, 05:39 PM

Am I the only one that's going to be flipping cars and setting **** on fire if we stay in the big 9?

Brophog
8/12/2011, 05:40 PM
I don't care what happens to the Big 12 anymore. There has been so much change in the football landscape that all "tradition" has gone out the door.

You know that the all mighty dollar has taken over all decision making, as opposed to adhering to any semblance of tradition, when our own powers that be seriously discuss moving the RRS from Dallas to a home and home. The best college game in the country, and for a few bucks more, both schools would lay a big stinky turd on it.

I have given up on pro sports because all the strikes just made me realize I was only rooting for a business, not "my" team. I might as well cheer for Burger King to sell more burgers than Wendy's.

Now all this dollar chasing in the college ranks is just about to put me off it too. It really, really, gets me down.

sigh

I hear ya.

Ground_Attack
8/12/2011, 05:50 PM
Am I the only one that's going to be flipping cars and setting **** on fire if we stay in the big 9?

nope. the cupboard is getting bare. (not our trophy case though)

Brophog
8/12/2011, 05:51 PM
fyi... lots of twitter chatter among some national media.. that the acc, big east and pac12 are all putting out invites... this thing is changing big and changing fast... 16 team leagues across the board...

also something else ive been reading and hearing is that ou, osu and texas are a 3 team alliance... it'll be a package deal... most likely pac12...

Got some links?

Muno
8/12/2011, 05:54 PM
Just heard Chip Brown on the radio a little while ago and here is the lastest from him:

*DeLoss has now confirmed that A&M is gone.

*DeLoss also confirmed that Texas is working to keep the Big 12 together and the remaining 9 schools appear to be solidly committed to keeping it together. DeLoss mentioned that they would replace A&M and had a list of 20 schools they were working from. he made it clear that this was something Texas was working and not the Big 12 conference offices. It is very clear who runs this conference based on these developments.

*When asked if the PAC 12 was an option DeLoss said it was an option but he didn't think it was a viable option for UT.

*Basically UT isn't going anywhere because of the LHN.

*Moving the regents meeting to Monday (at the earliest time they could by law) was a move to out flank the Texas House Committee on Higher Education's meeting schedule later in the week. The Texas Senate only has a 24 hour notice rule so they could actually call a meeting over the weekend to grill A&M about the move before the Regents approve on Monday. It sounded like that was a real possibility. Despite the maneuvering he doesn't believe the Texas Legislature will try to stop it.

It sounds like to me the Big 12 is going to try and hold together which is really disappointing if true.

northspeter
8/12/2011, 05:56 PM
Got some links?

www.twitter.com and follow a bunch of national sports media... writers, radio, tv... it's pretty easy really...

colleyvillesooner
8/12/2011, 05:56 PM

Well get your gas can ready. We'll add some else (Houston, Air Force, etc) and plug along. Until we are forced, why not stay in a weakened conference with an easier road to the NCG?

We go to the SEC and start playing those team every year and i bet it takes 5 years off Bob;s tenure here.

Sooner5030
8/12/2011, 05:59 PM
hopefully BYU, AFA, CSU and Memphis are on that list instead of Houston, TCU, SMU & UTEP. Another Texas team does nothing for TV sets or expanding the fan base.

Muno
8/12/2011, 05:59 PM

Nope I will be right with you. By the way DeLoss was clear that Texas was running the search for the A&M replacement from a list of 20 teams. Looks like UT is running this show and not the conference offices. Makes me sick.

silverwheels
8/12/2011, 06:00 PM
Just heard Chip Brown on the radio a little while ago and here is the lastest from him:

*DeLoss has now confirmed that A&M is gone.

*DeLoss also confirmed that Texas is working to keep the Big 12 together and the remaining 9 schools appear to be solidly committed to keeping it together. DeLoss mentioned that they would replace A&M and had a list of 20 schools they were working from. he made it clear that this was something Texas was working and not the Big 12 conference offices. It is very clear who runs this conference based on these developments.

*When asked if the PAC 12 was an option DeLoss said it was an option but he didn't think it was a viable option for UT.

*Basically UT isn't going anywhere because of the LHN.

*Moving the regents meeting to Monday (at the earliest time they could by law) was a move to out flank the Texas House Committee on Higher Education's meeting schedule later in the week. The Texas Senate only has a 24 hour notice rule so they could actually call a meeting over the weekend to grill A&M about the move before the Regents approve on Monday. It sounded like that was a real possibility. Despite the maneuvering he doesn't believe the Texas Legislature will try to stop it.

It sounds like to me the Big 12 is going to try and hold together which is really disappointing if true.

Yeah, the Big 12-3 is a crappy conference and keeping it together is mainly for the benefit of Texas. I understand that we want to stay with them, but this could hurt us in the long run.

PLaw
8/12/2011, 06:04 PM
Nice read form Richard Justice.

Time for the SOONERS to look for yet another conference to dominate.

BOOMER

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary
To save face, A&M must head to SEC
BY RICHARD JUSTICE
Copyright 2011 Houston Chronicle
Aug. 12, 2011, 9:23AM

If Bill Byrne continues to hire the right coaches — and he has a pretty good track record — the Aggies will hold their own in any conference.

First of all, Texas A&M has to go this time. Whether it's a smart move is another conversation. Credibility is an even bigger issue.

For the second time in about 14 months, the Aggies are holding their breath, stomping their feet and threatening to take their toys and bolt for the Southeastern Conference.

They've apparently discovered the Longhorn Network will be one long University of Texas infomercial, and you just can't get anything past the Aggies anymore.

They almost left last summer, and this time they have no choice. Otherwise, they become a laughingstock. To stay would mean taking a vow of silence.

It would also mean they were never serious about leaving in the first place, and who'll pay attention to any-thing they say down the road?

Once they go, the fun begins. That's when Big 12 commissioner DeLoss Dodds has his work cut out for him.

Richard, DeLoss Dodds is not the Big 12 commissioner. There's a man named Dan Beebe with that title.

As I was saying, Big 12 commissioner DeLoss Dodds will attempt to keep the Big 12 in business.

Oklahoma becomes the key. If the Sooners stay — and my guess is they will — then the Big 12 will survive without Texas A&M.

Texas does not want to go independent. Getting into a BCS bowl becomes much more difficult.

If Dodds can convince OU to stay, the Big 12 remains viable. He'll probably attempt to add three teams to create a 12-team conference to withstand future defections.

Arkansas, Notre Dame and BYU appear to be at the top of his list. Arkansas and Notre Dame are unlikely to bite, and BYU's interest is unknown.

After those three, TCU, Houston and SMU are the most sensible options. Houston and SMU would definitely accept, and there are people who think TCU could be talked out of jumping to the Big East.

This is a huge opportunity for UH, which could be look- ing at its first legitimate shot to get into a BCS conference.

For the past couple of years, UH officials have believed Texas A&M would block it from the Big 12. With A&M out of the way, UH might have clear sailing.

UH fans shouldn't get their hopes up just yet because there's always the chance the Aggies change their mind.

Or maybe A&M and Texas might decide to sit down and reconcile their objections to the Longhorn Network.

Thursday's NCAA ruling that bans the showing of high school games is a step in the right direction, but it's only a small one. Aggies see the Texas/ESPN alliance as too much to overcome.

A mad, mad state
And there's emotion. In College Station, anger appears to be ruling the day. In Austin, they're angry that the Aggies are angry.

There's not someone with enough stature to get the two sides together and browbeat them. Where is LBJ when you need him?

When Beebe — OK, he really is the Big 12 commissioner — was asked about the crisis Wednesday, he said he hadn't spoken to anyone from A&M.

Really? Didn't have the time, Dan? Didn't have your iPhone handy? Did you have something more important than allowing your conference to vaporize?

I still don't understand A&M's cause for concern because there just doesn't appear to be enough compelling programming to do real damage. As long as the Longhorn Network isn't featuring conference games and high school recruits, it's likely to be niche programming for the orangest of the orangebloods.

On the other hand, it has to be infuriating for Aggies to click on to ESPN.com and see a huge banner ad asking readers to call their cable providers and sign up for the Longhorn Network.

The Aggies would have more financial stability in the SEC, but that won't be why they move. They'll move because they're mad and ready to show Texas who's boss.

If you're wondering about Texas A&M's ability to compete in the Southeastern Conference, don't.

Have faith in Byrne
A&M would be moving because it saw it as the best thing for the school over the next few decades. If Bill Byrne continues to hire the right coaches — and he has a pretty good track record — the Aggies will hold their own in any conference.

Byrne didn't have as much money to spend even before ESPN became a $15-million-a-year Texas booster, but he hasn't needed to.

Unless money buys wisdom, Texas A&M has nothing to worry about in the Big 12. Unfortunately, money and wisdom aren't driving the debate here. This is one is all about ego.

But the Aggies have to go this time. It's the only way they save face, and they can worry about the consequences down the road.

[email protected]

twitter.com/richardjustice

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/7694204.html#ixzz1UrHoPfSe

northspeter
8/12/2011, 06:04 PM
hopefully BYU, AFA, CSU and Memphis are on that list instead of Houston, TCU, SMU & UTEP. Another Texas team does nothing for TV sets or expanding the fan base.

if the sec, acc and pac12 are pushing to 16 teams... no combination of leftover teams will keep the big 12 together...

silverwheels
8/12/2011, 06:05 PM
Well get your gas can ready. We'll add some else (Houston, Air Force, etc) and plug along. Until we are forced, why not stay in a weakened conference with an easier road to the NCG?

We go to the SEC and start playing those team every year and i bet it takes 5 years off Bob;s tenure here.

Boren has made it clear he wants no part of the SEC. At this point, it looks like a weakened Big 12 or Pac-#, and the first option is what Texas wants, and that's all that matters.

Muno
8/12/2011, 06:05 PM

The Longhorn's only concern is adding a member who will vote with them. This will not be in our long-term best interest. Hopefully it's just posturing and this conference dies a quick death.

Sooner5030
8/12/2011, 06:13 PM
Need to replace CU, UNL and now TAMU. This is assuming that we stay and salvage the B12 or even expand past 12. If you’re gonna debate the fact that we should join the PAC/SEC/MWC or whatever please do so in another thread. Thnx

1. BYU
2. AFA
3. Memphis
4. Colorado State (if no AFA), New Mexico if AFA
5. Nevada or UNLV

I stayed away from Texas and Okie schools as every ABC affiliate in those 2 states will already show the B12 game. I also left off the not-gonna-gets like ND and Arky.

what's your top 5?

PLaw
8/12/2011, 06:14 PM
I don't want to be in a modern day SWC where Texas is the center of the universe. It's time to pack our bags and find another conference - either the PAC or the B1G being choice 1 and 1A, with SEC being choice 2.

Let * drown in their own mire. I don't want to be tied those egocentric blow hards another day.

BOOMER

Vegas Sooner
8/12/2011, 06:14 PM
Who cares about A&M. The Big 12 can pick up other teams.

SoonerMom2
8/12/2011, 06:17 PM
Why would want to play the Big 10 and all those schools in the north? It gets cold there early. It is cold in Michigan in the summer. Go PAC 10 or SEC where the temps are better and easier to get to especially to the west coast where tickets are cheaper.

colleyvillesooner
8/12/2011, 06:19 PM
For recruiting purposes, its pretty wise to keep our wagon hitched to Texas, like it or not.

Don't know why people are so surprised Texas runs the show. been that way for 15 years now. If we were in their shoes we'd do the same damn thing.

Boren wants the best thing for OU and OU football, and joining the SEC is not it.

silverwheels
8/12/2011, 06:21 PM
We're not going to the SEC. Boren has made that clear. And I doubt the B1G wants us unless Texas also comes along, which they probably won't. They like being the big swinging dick in this conference and intend to keep it that way. Like it or not, we are tied to Texas (and of course, OSU is tied to us).

Basically, we're ****ed.

colleyvillesooner
8/12/2011, 06:21 PM
Air force, strictly for away game reasons. :D

silverwheels
8/12/2011, 06:24 PM
BYU and Air Force are the only appealing options. The other mid-majors on the list just suggest expansion for the sake of expansion.

Soonerite
8/12/2011, 06:28 PM

I personally have no preference to either the sec or the PAC, I'm just worried that a big 12 conference minus nebraska and aTM could possibly keep us out of a NCG down the line and that would be very upsetting. I was perfectly happy with the big 12 the way it was, but mizzou had to go and **** that up.

colleyvillesooner
8/12/2011, 06:30 PM
We're not going to the SEC. Boren has made that clear. And I doubt the B1G wants us unless Texas also comes along, which they probably won't. They like being the big swinging dick in this conference and intend to keep it that way. Like it or not, we are tied to Texas (and of course, OSU is tied to us).

Basically, we're ****ed.

Why? Why are we ****ed? We'll be in a league we can still dominate, beat Texas and have a legit chance at a NCG run. It's not like A&M was a powerhouse holding this all together.

reevie
8/12/2011, 06:34 PM
New Mexico is the worst D-1 program ever. Ok, Maybe New Mexico State is the worst, but the Lobos are not far behind. They should never be brought up again.

colleyvillesooner
8/12/2011, 06:35 PM
I personally have no preference to either the sec or the PAC, I'm just worried that a big 12 conference minus nebraska and aTM could possibly keep us out of a NCG down the line and that would be very upsetting. I was perfectly happy with the big 12 the way it was, but mizzou had to go and **** that up.

Me either, but is there any difference than them not being there vs beating them when they are unranked and ****ty on the way to the NCG like in 2008? Win and everything else takes care of it's self usually. Texas and strong non conference schedule should be good enough most years.

PLaw
8/12/2011, 06:35 PM
Correction: TOP 2 Pursue by Boren

B1G
PAC12

BOOMER

S008NER
8/12/2011, 06:36 PM

Basically, we're ****ed.

We are oklahoma. We will have options. Is anyone here surprised that a conference that tejas is allegedly running is turning out like this?

colleyvillesooner
8/12/2011, 06:38 PM
We are oklahoma. We will have options. Is anyone here surprised that a conference that tejas is allegedly running is turning out like this?

This.

Dio
8/12/2011, 06:43 PM
1. ND
2. BYU
3. TCU
4. Uh...AFA
5. Louisville???
120. Houston

Basically, the options to keep this turd sammich going are unrealistic or lame. Time to blow it up and go someplace else

Brophog
Lots of things are said in these events, but that doesn't mean a whole lot, either way. These things are all backdoor politics, which is why the bloggers and non-traditional media are so far in front of these stories.

If it hits the fan, Oklahoma will have options. Any conference that knows what is best for them will realize the net gain such a move will bring.

Sooner_Havok
If we have to keep this crap-fest together...

1. Notre Dame (ha, yeah right)
2. BYU
3. Boise State (I am going to kill myself now.)
4. Nevada
5. Air Force

Yeah, I would take Boise before I took one more god damned texas team.

Sooner_Havok
8/12/2011, 06:48 PM
I would just as soon join TCU is the big east than have to sit here and eat this crap sandwich texas is preparing.

CBUS_SOONER
8/12/2011, 06:49 PM
1. Irish
2. Boise
3. TCU
4. BYU
5. North texass jk

We need to go to the Pac 12 and dominate

FtwTxSooner
8/12/2011, 06:49 PM
Its all about perceptions. Teams do not leave strong conferences. An undefeated Big 12 champ gets put to the back of the line, even with our OOC schedule. Plus, the margin of error shrinks as well. Much harder to make up a loss. Our athletes deserve to play against top notch competition.

ELP Sooner
8/12/2011, 06:51 PM
I'll let Deloss answer that question for me.

soonervegas
8/12/2011, 06:52 PM
Just for the record I am totally against this idea, but i'll play:

1. BYU
2. Air Force
3. West Virginia (although I think they may be ACC bound)

Land those 3 and I can stomach it. Houston, TCU, Louisville....no interest whatsoever.

Sooner_Havok
8/12/2011, 06:52 PM
Bob isn't happy...

video link (http://newsok.com/ou-update-sec-talk/multimedia/video/1108101265001)

silverwheels
8/12/2011, 06:53 PM
Why? Why are we ****ed? We'll be in a league we can still dominate, beat Texas and have a legit chance at a NCG run. It's not like A&M was a powerhouse holding this all together.

Why? Because we just lost 3 schools that actually had fans and/or good TV markets, while dead weights like Iowa State and Kansas State are still here. It doesn't matter if we can still dominate if we're not making money doing it. We might as well go to Conference USA if domination is our only agenda.

We will have options, but Boren seems to have tied us to Texas, and they fully intend to keep their little conference together so they can stay on the throne.

soonervegas
8/12/2011, 06:53 PM
I'll let Deloss answer that question for me.

Joe?

Peach Fuzz
8/12/2011, 06:56 PM
We need to discuss this. I don't think this topic has been brought up in the past 2 hours.

Brophog
8/12/2011, 07:01 PM
www.twitter.com and follow a bunch of national sports media... writers, radio, tv... it's pretty easy really...

I think most of us are aware of twitter.........more kinda hoping you'd tell us who those specific people were saying those specific things.

You put their name on the board, usually with an @ sign in front...it's pretty easy really.

colleyvillesooner
8/12/2011, 07:02 PM
Didn't we just sign a big new tv contract? I don't think money will be am issue.

ELP Sooner
8/12/2011, 07:04 PM
Joe?

Si?

AlboSooner
8/12/2011, 07:08 PM
Bob isn't happy...

video link (http://newsok.com/ou-update-sec-talk/multimedia/video/1108101265001)

Stoops just wants to play ball. He doesn't like the pettiness, the politics, the filth this whole things has displayed. :texan:

Brophog
8/12/2011, 07:10 PM
The reporters just need to stop badgering the coaches about these things. None of them are giving answers, and it isn't their job to give answers. They don't have much control, anyhow. They got enough on their plate already.

OUNASH
8/12/2011, 07:12 PM
Why not form the old SWC. Seems like this is happening weteher we like it or not. As each day goes by I dislike the whorns more. This thing is getting uglier by the minute.

Texas_Longhorn
8/12/2011, 07:13 PM
IMO the Big 12 is done. Most Texas people want ou, osu, tech and us to head west for the pac-16. I hope that happens.

Sabanball
8/12/2011, 07:15 PM
Boren has made it clear he wants no part of the SEC. At this point, it looks like a weakened Big 12 or Pac-#, and the first option is what Texas wants, and that's all that matters.

Frankly, I'm not sure that I understand why or his rationale for feeling that way. I read David Boren's 'cesspool' comment about our conference. Maybe he should do a little research--Over half of the academic "cesspool" schools in the SEC have a higher US News public university ranking than OU; the remaining are not far behind. Vanderbilt is ranked #17 nationally in all categories (public/private). Here's the public university rankings: U of F(17), U of G(18), U of A(34), *U(38), U of T(47), USCe(52), LSU(60), U of K(63), Ark(66), OleMiss(72), MSU(79).

OU is ranked 52. A&M is 22. VT is 27. I could see the academic argument if you were comparing the Big 12 to the Big 10, but not the SEC.

Here's the Big 12 schools rankings as a comparison to the SEC schools listed above: Texas (13), A&M (22), ISU (41), Mizzou (41), Kansas (47), OU (52), OSU (66), KSU (66), TT (85). Baylor is ranked #79 nationally (private and public) which is no where near Vandy. The SEC and Big 12 are comparable academically as it stands now. If TAMU makes the switch, I don't see how anyone could argue that the Big 12 is better. Don't get me wrong, I think you guys have a great university, but to hear President Boren talk he thinks you guys belong in the Ivy League.

And as for the comment about being hitched to Texas, I agree, you guys rely on a connection to the STATE--but NOT the university of Texas. There IS a difference.

cvsooner
8/12/2011, 07:16 PM
You can see poorly photoshopped pictures daily.

THAT is the funniest comment on the board in eight months.

AlboSooner
8/12/2011, 07:22 PM
Spek!

Wish I had Farkin' skillz! I'd fark Dan Beebe in and call him Baghdad Beebe or Big12 Bob

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k146/bs177/danbeebe.png

I did this fark some time ago, when Nebbie bolted for the big 10

AlbqSooner
8/12/2011, 07:22 PM
Just let it fall out as it will. OU can still beat hell out of the whorns arse on a regular basis if we are in the same conference.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/12/2011, 07:24 PM
Notre Dame?
WHy would they join a conference made up of scraps?

unbiasedtruth
8/12/2011, 07:24 PM
IMO the Big 12 is done. Most Texas people want ou, osu, tech and us to head west for the pac-16. I hope that happens.

dont know who you talk to for "most texas people". word I hear from Texas fans is to go independent....

AlbqSooner
8/12/2011, 07:25 PM
New Mexico is the worst D-1 program ever. Ok, Maybe New Mexico State is the worst, but the Lobos are not far behind. They should never be brought up again.

Agreed. And I live here.

northspeter
8/12/2011, 07:25 PM
I think most of us are aware of twitter.........more kinda hoping you'd tell us who those specific people were saying those specific things.

You put their name on the board, usually with an @ sign in front...it's pretty easy really.

via kirk bohls twitter... writer for the austin american statesman... notre dame, byu, air force... are the first 3 targets for texas(big12) league expansion... in that order...

AlboSooner
8/12/2011, 07:29 PM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k146/bs177/consigliere.png

He's gonna make them an offer they can't refuse.

Scott D
8/12/2011, 07:29 PM
Meh, OU doesn't want the SEC and the SEC doesn't want OU. Why this discussion comes up is beyond me. It's either westward or northward for OU who would have carte blanche on where to end up should they decide to remain conference affiliated. Texas...not so much.

Sooner95
8/12/2011, 07:33 PM
I don't like it anymore than most..but I'm tellin ya. if we miss the train on this one going to PAC16 or SEC14 then we are screwed.

That is where the TV money will be heading. That is where the marquee matchups will be. That is where a top notch program like OKLAHOMA needs to go. Screw texass and the big12-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-....

Raider Power
8/12/2011, 07:33 PM
I would go Louisville before I would go Memphis.

SoonerMom2
8/12/2011, 07:35 PM
Frankly, I'm not sure that I understand why or his rationale for feeling that way. I read David Boren's 'cesspool' comment about our conference.

I don't know where the poster got his comments from President Boren. I live in Norman and have never seen anything like from what I read. In fact President Boren until Dodds and Beebe 'saved' the Big 12, was open to talking to the SEC. The only thing I can find that Boren said was last summer when he said A&M and OU had invites to the SEC.

President Boren has too much class to make those type of comments. They don't sound like him at all but someone trying to put words in his mouth. That poster has made other comments about all of this I find hard to swallow. Don't believe just one poster on what President Boren on what some poster has to said he said. I cannot find those comments in search and you can bet they would have been headlines in the Norman Transcript.

Muno
8/12/2011, 07:37 PM
via kirk bohls twitter... writer for the austin american statesman... notre dame, byu, air force... are the first 3 targets for texas(big12) league expansion... in that order...

We have no chance at landing Notre Dame.

ELP Sooner
8/12/2011, 07:37 PM
I would stop playing football before staying in this lame *** league.

trey
8/12/2011, 07:38 PM

does anyone have even a decent reason why notre dame would join the big12? it makes no sense to me. they have turned down the big10 numerous times....why would they jump on this sinking ship?

come west sooners! come west!

Sabanball
Meh, OU doesn't want the SEC and the SEC doesn't want OU. Why this discussion comes up is beyond me. It's either westward or northward for OU who would have carte blanche on where to end up should they decide to remain conference affiliated. Texas...not so much.

It's well documented that the SEC has made several overtures to OU. It's the ADMINISTRATION at OU that does not want the SEC.

TheHumanAlphabet
Need to replace CU, UNL and now TAMU. This is assuming that we stay and salvage the B12 or even expand past 12. If you’re gonna debate the fact that we should join the PAC/SEC/MWC or whatever please do so in another thread. Thnx

1. BYU
2. AFA
3. Memphis
4. Colorado State (if no AFA), New Mexico if AFA
5. Nevada or UNLV

I stayed away from Texas and Okie schools as every ABC affiliate in those 2 states will already show the B12 game. I also left off the not-gonna-gets like ND and Arky.

what's your top 5?

Your last 3 no way. Memphis is a basketball school, New Mexico couldn't play their way out of a wet paper bag with a tear in it and Nevada/UNLV are flavors of the month that will go stale before the month ends. None of these schools add anything...

SoonerofAlabama
8/12/2011, 07:39 PM
Pac-12
Big 10
SEC
Big East
ACC

soonervegas
8/12/2011, 07:39 PM
We also have to keep in mind there are other schools that would drop out of here.....I still think Mizzou is an option to round out a Big 10 - 14 or 16 team league down the road.

We need stability.

S008NER
8/12/2011, 07:40 PM
Texas state politics will make sure houston, a state school will get in.

Brophog
8/12/2011, 07:40 PM

Thank you. Been following him, interesting how many veiled shots he takes at Texas in all of this.

LASooner
8/12/2011, 07:41 PM
seemed like he was just ticked off in general, not specifically about that subject

Brophog
8/12/2011, 07:44 PM
We also have to keep in mind there are other schools that would drop out of here.....I still think Mizzou is an option to round out a Big 10 - 14 or 16 team league down the road.

Missouri just wants someone, anyone to pay attention to them. I have no doubt they'd be gone if someone wanted them.

SoonerofAlabama
8/12/2011, 07:44 PM
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/3463/big12dead5.jpg

Sabanball
8/12/2011, 07:48 PM
I don't know where the poster got his comments from President Boren. I live in Norman and have never seen anything like from what I read. In fact President Boren until Dodds and Beebe 'saved' the Big 12, was open to talking to the SEC. The only thing I can find that Boren said was last summer when he said A&M and OU had invites to the SEC.

President Boren has too much class to make those type of comments. They don't sound like him at all but someone trying to put words in his mouth. That poster has made other comments about all of this I find hard to swallow. Don't believe just one poster on what President Boren on what some poster has to said he said. I cannot find those comments in search and you can bet they would have been headlines in the Norman Transcript.

SoonerMom,

Evidently the phrase 'cesspool' was used by someone high up in the university, not necessarily President Boren himself. I apologize and am glad to set the record straight. Nonetheless, this does seem to accurately reflect the mindset of the university administration as a whole toward the SEC, if the following report is to be believed...
UPDATE: Future of the Big 12
By Chris Level, Aaron Dickens

* All signs point to Texas A&M becoming the 13th member of the Southeastern Conference. It likely won't be official on the A&M side of things until the university's Board of Regents meet on Aug. 22, but everything we have heard from our own sources indicates that the train is on the tracks and moving very fast. We would be surprised at this point if it didn't happen.

* Level spoke with Robert Cessna of the Bryan-College Station Eagle today about A&M's potential timetable and he said if the Aggies did move, they would want to announce the move to the SEC very quickly and get that process started. They saw how Nebraska was treated last year by the Big 12, how TCU has been treated by the Mountain West, and want to get the process over and done with as soon as possible.

* The SEC will try to lure Oklahoma and Oklahoma State as well, but our SoonerScoop.com colleague Carey Murdock is reporting that OU isn't and hasn't been receptive to overtures from the SEC mainly due to academic reasons.

"OU won't go the SEC," Murdock wrote. "(Oklahoma president David) Boren doesn't want any part of the SEC. He has spent a major part of his life building up Oklahoma's academic reputation and if OU went to the SEC, the perception might be that OU is nothing more than a football school. That would pretty much destroy every mention you've heard about OU having more national merit scholars per capita than any other public institution in the country."

* Murdock is also reporting that the SEC came after Oklahoma twice last year, but "OU rebuffed those overtures both times."

* Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are still very much tied together and it's hard to imagine many circumstances where they don't end up in the same conference -- whether that be the Big 12 or another conference.

* Level had two sources close to the situation in Norman -- Murdock is not one of them -- who referred to the SEC as a "cesspool" in terms of academics, recruiting practices and the like.

* In the near future, you should expect to read and hear a lot of talk about the remaining nine schools focusing on keeping the Big 12 together. Theoretically, assuming that ABC/ESPN and Fox don't try and force the issue, a nine-team Big 12 would remain viable until the league's current first-tier rights agreement expire in 2014-15.

* Texas Tech does not have a stand-alone invitation to the Pac-12, and did not have one last summer to the Pac-10. Tech's invite was always tied to Texas and that is almost certainly still the case, although there is a growing feeling that Tech would land in the Pac regardless of what Texas does if the dominos start to fall in favor of 16-team super conferences.

* The idea of Texas going independent sounds a lot easier than it would be in reality. UT would have to find a landing spot for all of its athletic teams outside of football, and then there could be potential Title IX issues if they were forced to cut sports.

* If there is any other additional move beyond A&M moving to the SEC -- i.e. Missouri to the Big Ten or Kansas to the Big East -- you would see the Big 12 fall apart very quickly. In that instance, Texas' hand would be forced and they would head west with Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Tech.

* If you're a Tech fan, you should feel good about the fact that the university's leadership has great relationships with principal parties at both Texas and Oklahoma. President Guy Bailey has a great relationship with his counterpart at Texas, Bill Powers. Chancellor Kent Hance has a great relationship with Powers and Texas A.D. DeLoss Dodds. Oklahoma A.D. Joe Castiglione is Kirby Hocutt's mentor. Hocutt's right-hand man, Joe Parker, has a very good relationship with Castiglione and is also connected at Texas.

* Bailey and Powers were both at the NCAA meetings earlier this week.

* Finally, this won't wrap up quickly. There are a lot of moving parts, and you're going to hear a lot of speculation in the coming weeks about School X talking to Conference Y -- just prepare yourself for that.
This post was edited on 8/11 8:54 PM by A. Dickens

Posted on 8/12 9:25 AM | IP: Logged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SoonerMom2
8/12/2011, 07:55 PM
I wouldn't believe what Murdoch had to say if it was right in front of me. He seems to like putting OU in a bad light as he does it enough on the radio. If James Hale or Myron Patten said it then I might give some credence. I will bet money the cesspool comment came right out of Murdoch or his source which would not be a high ranking OU official or Boren would kick them out so fast that they wouldn't know what hit them. That is not something he would put up with out of any of his close people.

Mazeppa
8/12/2011, 07:56 PM
I would say Memphis, any excuse to go to there is good, I love that city.

picasso
8/12/2011, 07:57 PM
Aggie Yell. Is that the sound Gomer makes after he gets kicked in the junk?

soonervegas
8/12/2011, 08:01 PM
Wow. If we got the SEC to cave on OSU and don't accept.....I really don't know what to think.

Saban who would the SEC ship east if OU, OSU, and A&M joined?

silverwheels
8/12/2011, 08:04 PM
Houston adds nothing. Neither does Memphis, really. Yeah, it's a new market, but it's a ****ty school and no one cares about them.

trwxxa
8/12/2011, 08:05 PM
Texas state politics will make sure houston, a state school will get in.
He!! will freeze before UT invites UH to the Big 12

UT is calling the shots now.

Sabanball
8/12/2011, 08:07 PM
I wouldn't believe what Murdoch had to say if it was right in front of me. He seems to like putting OU in a bad light as he does it enough on the radio. If James Hale or Myron Patten said it then I might give some credence. I will bet money the cesspool comment came right out of Murdoch or his source which would not be a high ranking OU official or Boren would kick them out so fast that they wouldn't know what hit them. That is not something he would put up with out of any of his close people.

We're splitting hairs, Soonermom. Whether the 'cesspool' comment was ever made or not is really not the central issue. In fact, I'll concede to you the possibility that is was never uttered. However, there is strong, circumstancial evidence that your president and administration have decided to turn down the SEC for primarily academic reasons, and those arguments have pretty much been debunked. IF I was a Sooner fan, that would concern me a little bit.

The OU brand is so valuable, it really won't matter what conference affiliation you guys end up with. We'd have loved to have you in the SEC, but it evidently was simply not meant to be. The Big 12 will probably go away eventually, but OU will land on it's feet somewhere. You guys will be fine and still a top 5 program...:)

Sabanball
8/12/2011, 08:09 PM
Wow. If we got the SEC to cave on OSU and don't accept.....I really don't know what to think.

Saban who would the SEC ship east if OU, OSU, and A&M joined?

I would guess Bama and Auburn...

tfoolry
8/12/2011, 08:19 PM
Heading to 4 superconferences and B1G would be top choice of Stoops. A western division would keep games in CST. * and nd game go it alone. Pokes can go west. Nothing going to happen anytime soon but that's my crap contribution to this garbage. The next 23 days are going to be long ones.

Joe Kidd
8/12/2011, 08:28 PM
I didn't realize sheep-humping was an NCAA sanctioned sport.

That's so funny the last time I heard that, I laughed so hard I fell off my dinosaur.

LASooner
8/12/2011, 08:31 PM
Why would TCU leave a guaranteed spot in a conference that has less politcal infighting for one that's a walking talking cluster ****?

finster
8/12/2011, 08:33 PM
Apparently you're standing up to UT when you run and scared of UT when you stand.
The RR Shootout is my favorite game outside of the bowl games. But between the corn and the korps this has become a bizzaro conference, and that Napoleonic whorn AD is not helping.
I do know that better minds than my own are plotting OU's future plans.

SicEmBaylor
8/12/2011, 08:36 PM
Apparently you're standing up to UT when you run and scared of UT when you stand.
The RR Shootout is my favorite game outside of the bowl games. But between the corn and the korps this has become a bizzaro conference, and that Napoleonic whorn AD is not helping.
I do know that better minds than my own are plotting OU's future plans.

Sir, are you on drugs?

Penguin
8/12/2011, 08:39 PM
1. Nevada
2. New Mexico
3. New Mexico State
4. Hawaii
5. UNLV
6. Alaska-Anchorage

Mjcpr
8/12/2011, 08:42 PM

If they turn us down we could go for the Saints or Texans.

SicEmBaylor
8/12/2011, 08:42 PM
If they turn us down we could go for the Saints or Texans.

Eh, we're already the conference doormat so we don't need the Texans.

tnraider1
8/12/2011, 08:44 PM
TCU
Boise
ND
Utah
Houston

ouwasp
8/12/2011, 09:03 PM
I used to pump AFA and BYU. But that was just to get back to 12. I think it's pointless now.

IF Notre Dame was willing to jump on board, that would be the deal. Of course, if the Big XII were able to land ND, any two other schools would do, Tulsa, whoever....

Mac94
8/12/2011, 09:07 PM
at this point ... if the remaining nine are gonna stick together ... and we'll ee ... so many dominos left to possibly fall ... i think going after BYU would add somethnig. Notre Dame is a pipedream ... but BYU would expand the footprint while bringing in a respectable program on the field. Would have to work around the whole playing on Sunday thing in most sports ... but could be done.

TCU is a good program but adds nothing geographically ... the have a very smal fanbase.

Outside of that ... there s nothing.

I hope OU goes west .... that is what I hope for the Sooners ... would really strengthen you all and put you all in a stable power confrence.

Prodigal
8/12/2011, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't believe what Murdoch had to say if it was right in front of me. If James Hale or Myron Patten said it then I might give some credence.

I had to read that twice.

Wow.

mgsooner
8/12/2011, 09:18 PM
Can Someone explain to me why Air Force is such an appealing option?

cantwait48
8/12/2011, 09:45 PM
UTEP
Central Michigan
New Mexico State

ELP Sooner
8/12/2011, 09:57 PM
UTEP
NMSU
UNM

Deloss just called and told me they want to wrap up the vaunted TV triangle from Alamogordo to Truth or Consequences to Deming area.

Soonermagik
8/12/2011, 10:08 PM
Some people just don't get it!! We can't keep watering the conference down while other conferences get stronger.

OU really has 2 options:

SEC

Or

PAC 12

Ruf/Nek7
8/12/2011, 10:08 PM
Houston is more favorable than any of the previously mentioned teams. Its all about who can provide the most profit to the conference. Who has the bigger market? Though UH has little following in Houston, they are in Houston and Beebe would like to maintain the Houston market after a&m leaves. Who knows, maybe houston will gain followers if they join the Big 12.

Also, I would love to see UH get the invite strictly because of Sumlin. Yet another member of. Bob Stoop's coaching tree doing good at a program.

OUHOMER
8/12/2011, 10:11 PM
I just hate the the thought of a Ou being pushed to the north Div. if they bring in more tx schools.

As much as i had tx, i still want to make sure we play them every year. and kick their *** on their own network

Soonermagik
8/12/2011, 10:14 PM

I'm down with this!! This option is a win/win for all involved parties. Plus, OU could recruit Texas and California.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/12/2011, 10:17 PM
One rumor says Texas has apparently reached out to Notre Dame to talk about forming a new conference if aTm bolts. If there's even a shred of truth to that, and touchdown jesus blessed such a union, then assuredly OU would be their first invite.

Those three get together and schools will be placing bids to join. (Kansas would be chief among those dangling their basketball tradition.)

That would be a pretty exciting start to a conference, and would carry enough clout so you could buck trend and keep the conference smaller at maybe 8 teams. And with only a 7 game conference schedule (which ND would definitely want so they could keep intersectional series going with BC, USC, Navy, and Michigan), you have 5 games to get more creative with your own non-conference matchups.

Let's call the above plan the sbodn plan. It is the best. Thank you, thank you very much.

Collier11
8/12/2011, 10:20 PM
Big 12 is not going away

The Ghost of Mex
8/12/2011, 10:32 PM
Can Someone explain to me why Air Force is such an appealing option?

Well, let me try to help out here...

Air Force is an Academy school, and as such has trouble recruiting top tier skill players. It's appealing for a school of such obvious limitation to run the option in an attempt to outplay there opponent with a style not often seen...

...is this post appalling?:P

S008NER
8/12/2011, 11:10 PM
well there is a little more to the story then just angry over the tv network. Former houston chronicle writer and current sport radio host john lopez(a&m alum) has said that it has more to do with serious talks that KU has had with the big east. a&m officials felt like the writing was on the wall for the big 12.

Sooner Cal
8/12/2011, 11:22 PM
Folks, Mizzou will be leaving too. With the likes of Houston and SMU replacing A&M and Mizzou, the conference will drop to last behind the SEC, PAC 12, Big 10 and ACC. We'll be slightly better than the Big East.

If Joe C. does nothing, then he should be fired. We pay him a lot of money to deal with situations like this. Sticking with the Horns isn't what we pay him for.

OU_Sooners75
8/13/2011, 12:10 AM
Collier, one more team leaves the current and old big 12, it will be over!

Some rlteams may not mind playing pushovers every week outside of OU and Texas, but OU and a few others won't wanttk play TCU, Houston, BYU, or North Texas every year!

With that said, if A&M, or Kansas, or whoever leaves, you can pretty much count OU leaving very soon after. OU likes being in a BCS conference and if the big 12 is comprised if mainly mid majors, well, it will lose it's BCS status!

Sooner98
8/13/2011, 12:15 AM
1. North Texas
2. Tulsa
3. Arkansas St.
4. UTEP
5. Texas St.

The Big 12. HELL YEAH.

silverwheels
8/13/2011, 12:19 AM
Some people just don't get it!! We can't keep watering the conference down while other conferences get stronger.

OU really has 2 options:

SEC

Or

PAC 12

Actually, if the rumors about Boren are correct, the SEC is not an option. Right now it looks like the Big 12 and way further down the list is the Pac-whatever.

Houston is more favorable than any of the previously mentioned teams. Its all about who can provide the most profit to the conference. Who has the bigger market? Though UH has little following in Houston, they are in Houston and Beebe would like to maintain the Houston market after a&m leaves. Who knows, maybe houston will gain followers if they join the Big 12.

Also, I would love to see UH get the invite strictly because of Sumlin. Yet another member of. Bob Stoop's coaching tree doing good at a program.

Houston adds nothing except for the fact that they're in Houston. They're a commuter school in a huge city that doesn't care about them, and they don't have great fans, either. We might be able to claim that they would keep the Houston market in our TV footprint, but most of the TVs will be tuned in to the SEC.

Folks, Mizzou will be leaving too. With the likes of Houston and SMU replacing A&M and Mizzou, the conference will drop to last behind the SEC, PAC 12, Big 10 and ACC. We'll be slightly better than the Big East.

If Joe C. does nothing, then he should be fired. We pay him a lot of money to deal with situations like this. Sticking with the Horns isn't what we pay him for.

He's not sitting around twiddling his thumbs. Whether we like it or not, we need Texas (and although not as much, they need us). If they wanted to go Independent, they would have already. I think OU and Texas are going to try and salvage what's left of the Big 12 and see if it's viable in the long term. If not (and I don't think it is), the Pac-12 would most likely love to add them (if the LHN can be worked around) along with OSU and Texas Tech to round out the Pac-16 and keep their pairs of rivalries, and they'd lock up pretty much every major TV market/fanbase west of the SEC.

MeMyself&Me
8/13/2011, 12:32 AM

This is good I think. Wherever OU goes, they need to have local teams they've already been playing for a long time. That's part of the problem I have with the SEC. All the major talk regarding the western side of the SEC has been primarily about OU going with aTm. If that were to happen, OU would likely play OSU and Texas every year OOC and none of the cool home and away series games we've been scheduling like Miami, Florida State, Notre Dame, and such.

Yeah, the Big 12-3 is a crappy conference and keeping it together is mainly for the benefit of Texas. I understand that we want to stay with them, but this could hurt us in the long run.

This worries me too. I really don't like the idea of keeping this conference together now. I do think OU could force the issue on Texas by accepting a Pac offer. With aTm out of the picture, Texas really needs OU now.

As a side note, I've heard talk of Texas revisting the Big 10 idea and talking the Big 10 into taking Texas with OU and a few other local teams. I really like that idea. Not so much for the cold side of it (crafty scheduling could help that a lot really anyhow by scheduling home games in southern stadiums late and northern stadiums early) but we could have Nebraska on T-day weekend every year again. How cool is that?

Sooner_Tuf
8/13/2011, 12:39 AM
I wonder how many conferences Texas can destroy in our lifetimes?

I also wonder how attractive they are to other conferences since they have a bad history in conference relations. Maybe they should just go Indy like their hero Notre Dame.

MeMyself&Me
8/13/2011, 12:43 AM
One rumor says Texas has apparently reached out to Notre Dame to talk about forming a new conference if aTm bolts. If there's even a shred of truth to that, and touchdown jesus blessed such a union, then assuredly OU would be their first invite.

Those three get together and schools will be placing bids to join. (Kansas would be chief among those dangling their basketball tradition.)

That would be a pretty exciting start to a conference, and would carry enough clout so you could buck trend and keep the conference smaller at maybe 8 teams. And with only a 7 game conference schedule (which ND would definitely want so they could keep intersectional series going with BC, USC, Navy, and Michigan), you have 5 games to get more creative with your own non-conference matchups.

Let's call the above plan the sbodn plan. It is the best. Thank you, thank you very much.

If Texas/ND do come together to form a NEW conference, yes, OU would be first on board AND this would be the best option. Like you said, it would be a small conference and lean with little or no dead weight. That would be a lot of fun and the OOC flexibility would be kick ***. We'll see though.

As to the OP's question:

1) ND (doesn't matter who else after that)
2) BYU (Really needs at least one of the other two to be strong too)
3) There are several Big East schools I'd put here (But none could carry any dead weight programs with them)
4) Air Force (I think this is a stretch but if combined with any of the above they'll do in a pinch)
5) Nuttn' cause there ain't nuttn' out there that has anything to gain by joining the Big 12 that also adds enough to the membership to pay their own way.

soonerstan56
8/13/2011, 12:48 AM
I wonder how many conferences Texas can destroy in our lifetimes?

I also wonder how attractive they are to other conferences since they have a bad history in conference relations. Maybe they should just go Indy like their hero Notre Dame.

True, read my stolen sig.

Stan

Flagstaffsooner
8/13/2011, 12:59 AM
GO WEST SOONERS!

northspeter
8/13/2011, 01:05 AM

its not my opinion... its from kirk bohls who's sources are in the athletic dept. at UT... they are making all the phone calls on this deal... not dan beebe... if they want to keep it at 9, it'll stay at 9... if they wanna expand... they'll start by contacting ND, then BYU, then Air Force... if anyone can do it... its texas...

yankee
8/13/2011, 01:14 AM
If aggy goes, Boren and Castiglione need to nut up and find a way to get us out of this dying conference. Seriously, does this Beebe quote not alarm anyone???

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe has told Texas A&M that Texas holds the key to the long-term future of the Big 12, and that the Big 12 would survive without the Aggies, according to an A&M official

MeMyself&Me
8/13/2011, 01:22 AM
its not my opinion... its from kirk bohls who's sources are in the athletic dept. at UT... they are making all the phone calls on this deal... not dan beebe... if they want to keep it at 9, it'll stay at 9... if they wanna expand... they'll start by contacting ND, then BYU, then Air Force... if anyone can do it... its texas...

ND is a long shot at best but there are sound financial reason that ND would join the Big 12. The unique financial structure of the Big 12 and the ability to have private TV networks works in ND's favor and no other league does that. I've argued this in the past too. The point that ND has such a sweet TV deal is missplaced. They make less on TV now than they would in ANY BCS conference and because of the Big 12's unique structure, they stand to make the most here. However, ND is has a long tradition of independence that they are very proud of, has established rivalries in the Big 10 and are already tied to the Big East in everything but football so I'm not saying it's a likely move. Just that it's not out of the realm of possibility.

However, I have to now think that the Big 12 looks even more unstable than ever to anyone considering making a conference move and ND will likely be even more skiddish to the idea. I have to wonder if they would even consider the idea.

On the other side, with the conference being even smaller, that makes for more OOC games which makes it easier for ND to keep more of its traditional rivalries. The smaller the conference gets, the more it acts as a blend of indy and conference members.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in some of these discussions...

SoonerDutch
8/13/2011, 01:22 AM
does anyone have even a decent reason why notre dame would join the big12? it makes no sense to me. they have turned down the big10 numerous times....why would they jump on this sinking ship?

come west sooners! come west!

Not saying it's in anyway realistic that they join us but being in the Big 12 would give Notre Dame the option of starting their own television network.

MeMyself&Me
8/13/2011, 01:27 AM

ND is a long shot at best but there are sound financial reason that ND would join the Big 12. The unique financial structure of the Big 12 and the ability to have private TV networks works in ND's favor and no other league does that. I've argued this in the past too. The point that ND has such a sweet TV deal is missplaced. They make less on TV now than they would in ANY BCS conference and because of the Big 12's unique structure, they stand to make the most here. However, ND is has a long tradition of independence that they are very proud of, has established rivalries in the Big 10 and are already tied to the Big East in everything but football so I'm not saying it's a likely move. Just that it's not out of the realm of possibility.

However, I have to now think that the Big 12 looks even more unstable than ever to anyone considering making a conference move and ND will likely be even more skiddish to the idea. I have to wonder if they would even consider the idea.

On the other side, with the conference being even smaller, that makes for more OOC games which makes it easier for ND to keep more of its traditional rivalries. The smaller the conference gets, the more it acts as a blend of indy and conference members.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in some of these discussions...

yankee
8/13/2011, 01:29 AM

Is this what we've come to? Being in a conference with Colorado State or Memphis? When those schools are among our best options, it's time to find a new freaking home.

MeMyself&Me
8/13/2011, 01:41 AM

SicEmBaylor
8/13/2011, 01:44 AM
I just have to throw this out there because it amuses me. This is the Baylor and Whorn Bands doing a tribute to the SWC back in '95. They read off each school's all time record then play their fight song only when they get to Aggie they do something else instead.....

Some day if we ever do a Big XII tribute -- I hope they do this exact same thing.

2w_c_9oDsJg

John Kochtoston
8/13/2011, 02:05 AM
TCU, SMU and Houston. What are three schools that would do nothing for the Big 12, Alex?

Sooner_Tuf
8/13/2011, 02:59 AM
I don't think it can be done but if Texas is so all powerful maybe they can lure some SEC or PAC12 members into joining a new Big 12.

They way I understand the Texas Notre Dame connection was if the Big 12 fell apart meaning A&M leaving and OU leaving they would try to set up something with Notre Dame. Not as in a Conference but as an alliance of Independent Schools.

I love the OU/Texas game more than any other game in College Football but if Texas does succeed in destroying the Conference I would love to see us drop the game for a few years if they don't end up in the same conference as us. Let them see what it will be like on their own for a bit.

I could care less about OSU. I'm sure we will drag them along wherever we go. If we don't for whatever reason I don't care if we ever play them again. With their crappy attitudes and ****ty ticket policies I'd let mire in the Sun Belt or wherever they can join up. Heck maybe Texas will let them suck hind teat for a while.

Illuminati
8/13/2011, 04:21 AM
I could care less about OSU.

:D

Flagstaffsooner
8/13/2011, 04:55 AM
Hey, aTm, adios mother fckers...

hO5Z0PxiZkg&feature=fvst

TXBOOMER
8/13/2011, 07:18 AM
Adding Houston or SMU is a joke. The longwhore network is unfair for other teams recruiting in all sports not just football. OU will get their recruits in football regardless. I wish we would bolt or start our own conference. F texass! OU, TCU, aTm, and about 5 more would do it.

ashley
8/13/2011, 07:33 AM
ND
TCU
BYU
UofH

Ruf/Nek7
8/13/2011, 08:31 AM
Houston adds nothing except for the fact that they're in Houston. They're a commuter school in a huge city that doesn't care about them, and they don't have great fans, either. We might be able to claim that they would keep the Houston market in our TV footprint, but most of the TVs will be tuned in to the SEC.

That's exactly my point. I guess I didn't make myself clear enough but the city of Houston is the only reason Big 12 would consider UH. Yes, a&m will take many viewers but even in its depleted state, the Big 12 is more appealing than the conference usa, so maybe UH will see an increase in fan support if they jump to the Big 12. Its all pure speculation and wishful thinking, but that is why Beebe and company are considering them.

BudSooner
8/13/2011, 08:41 AM
The minute you add UH/TCU/SMU then just rename it the SWC.

This is a losing proposition for us to stay, it is time to move and don't look back..this ****head of a commish has no interest in keeping the conference together, rather his only interest is cashing his paycheck.

OUNASH
8/13/2011, 08:51 AM
I would like to know why Joe C and Boren think OU has to be Texas bitch. Dan Bebe has one schools interest at heart and it sure the hell is not Oklahoma. I say tell texas and Bebe to shove it and go west without them.

Sooner98
8/13/2011, 08:54 AM
I just don't understand why people think that Notre Dame would ever in a million years want to buy a ticket to board the Titanic, that we are on now? If they were so desperate to join a conference, why wouldn't they just join the Big 10, when: 1)the Big 10 has been trying to get them to join for years, 2)they are located right in the heart of Big 10 territory, and 3)the Big 10 is the 2nd best conference in the country, and very healthy?

Breadburner
8/13/2011, 09:03 AM
Northern Illinois....

JLEW1818
8/13/2011, 09:05 AM
Clemson,FSU,Missouri likely to join.

http://twitter.com/#!/GottliebShow/status/102367812554723328

lol i'm sure there are already 100 threads saying Aggie to sec.... oh well

i wanna talk about all the "Tigers" in the SEC

OUNASH
8/13/2011, 09:07 AM
Just heard on ESPN that Texas A&M, Florida State , Missouri and Clemson to the SEC. Thank you Texas. To bad we cant get a restraining order on them. The most arrogant program of our time. Way to detroy a league. Oklahoma needs to run and run fast.

JLEW1818
8/13/2011, 09:09 AM
I'll go west coast over east coast all day. We would only get stronger in recruiting if we joined the pacwhatever

GKeeper316
8/13/2011, 09:12 AM
Big 12 is not going away

yes it is.

and we're gonna play USuC every year.

JLEW1818
8/13/2011, 09:21 AM
take your dead dogs with you

Bruiser53
8/13/2011, 09:27 AM
My first response was "Missouri?!?!?" but this does us a favor. Now we don't have to hear from the KU AD saying that the remaining memeber are "committed to a 9 team conference" or that we have to invite the corpses of the SWC to have enough teams to field a schedule.

Manifest Destiny!
Western Ho!

BudSooner
8/13/2011, 09:27 AM
Extend an offer to Boise since they CLAIM they can play anybody and compete.

Then dare them mother****ers to say no, chicken****s.

BudSooner
8/13/2011, 09:29 AM
W00T! BIG 8 ONCE AGAIN!!!

Oh wait.... :D

trey
8/13/2011, 09:30 AM
My first response was "Missouri?!?!?" but this does us a favor. Now we don't have to hear from the KU AD saying that the remaining memeber are "committed to a 9 team conference" or that we have to invite the corpses of the SWC to have enough teams to field a schedule.

Manifest Destiny!
Western Ho!

Amen brother....come west sooners, come west!

Bruiser53
8/13/2011, 09:31 AM
The ironic thing about all this is that it is in A&M and Texas's best interest to be in the same conference when you consider everything that college athletics should be about: great rivalaries, regional travel, passionate rival fan bases, etc. It's amazing to me that Texas's unchecked greed and ego and A&M's Napolean syndrom is forcing us to potentially be conference rivals w/ Utah and Arizona St.

sperry
8/13/2011, 09:33 AM
I just hope our leadership gets us out. A conference built on OU and Texas is not a real conference. We'd be much better off going independent than having to play SMU and Houston and Air Force every year. An undefeated team from this new Big 8 + a couple rejects would not deserve to go to the championship over a one loss team from one of the 3 real conferences.

JLEW1818
let's get away from Taco Tech too... they are such dbags

Soonermagik
Hey A&M, go eat a dick!! You will get torched in that league!! I guess OU, Texas, Tech and OSU are headed to the new PAC 16!

JLEW1818
8/13/2011, 09:35 AM
i think baylor just shat their pants

Muno
8/13/2011, 09:36 AM
This is great news. At this point all I want is the Big 12 to die. If Missouri is leaving that should be the final nail in the coffin and then it's either the Big 10 or the Pac 12.

JLEW1818
8/13/2011, 09:37 AM
SOMEBODY PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE POST LSU FREEK'S VIDEO WHEN HE MAKES ONE TODAY

soonervegas
Mizzou going is the best case scenario....hopefully, HOPEFULLY this forces Texas hand on the Pac-12.

I am hearing Kansas has eyes for the Big East. (Which I believe would be a phenominal move for them)

OUHOMER
PLEASE NO PAC ANYTHING

JLEW1818
8/13/2011, 09:38 AM
Nebraska is still to blame. they ****ed up a great conference

delhalew
8/13/2011, 09:40 AM
I'll go west coast over east coast all day. We would only get stronger in recruiting if we joined the pacwhatever

Not really. The west coast kids we get come here because we are about football. Put us in that Hollywood bull**** conference and that perception will gradually change.

I'll say it again. Colorado is a natural fit in the PAC. That alone should tell you it's no place for Oklahoma.

soonervegas
8/13/2011, 09:41 AM
PLEASE NO PAC ANYTHING

What is your concern? It is essentially repalcing Iowa State, Baylor, Kansas State, and Kansas with:

Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah.

That is a stronger 4-some from top to bottom. We also get access to the Rose bowl (hopefully) and at least one cross sectional game per year.....all that and we get to keep our main two rivals in conference.

BoulderSooner79
8/13/2011, 09:47 AM
Not really. The west coast kids we get come here because we are about football. Put us in that Hollywood bull**** conference and that perception will gradually change.

I'll say it again. Colorado is a natural fit in the PAC. That alone should tell you it's no place for Oklahoma.

Hey, what are you implying about us Sooners that lived in Boulder and now live near Stanford? :P

Lott's Bandana
Just heard on ESPN that Texas A&M, Florida State , Missouri and Clemson to the SEC. Thank you Texas. To bad we cant get a restraining order on them. The most arrogant program of our time. Way to detroy a league. Oklahoma needs to run and run fast.

This was Gottleib. FWIW

mgsooner
We aren't going to the SEC. NOT GONNA HAPPEN FOLKS. As for Stoops, he already openly expressed during last year's conference "crisis" that he would be very excited about a move to the PAC whatever.

stoopified
8/13/2011, 09:50 AM
In no particular order Memphis,Cinncinatti,Louisville,AFA,TCU

mgsooner
North Texas
Arkansas State
Louisiana Lafayette
Louisiana Monroe

SUPER CONFERENCE!

JLEW1818
lol wonder what Iowa State is doing... joining Canada?

winout
8/13/2011, 09:51 AM
The writing is on the wall. Castiglione better get out out asap or we will have to go indy which I'm not sure we could carry off with our resources. It appears atm and NU were prescient.

mgsooner
8/13/2011, 09:51 AM

It's not all nebraska. Those f*gs at Missouri played a large role in this.

Lott's Bandana
8/13/2011, 09:52 AM
Gottleib? High ranking source? This is in another thread and I just wasted my time.

JLEW1818
8/13/2011, 09:54 AM
ESPN usually won't break anything unless its true.

yahoo, and other websites will do it and take a chance

but yes, DG is a dbag. :D

OUNASH
8/13/2011, 09:55 AM

I disagree, The horns arrogance *****ed up a great conference. Nebraska was smart and got out. Dr. Tom saw the writing on the wall. Bebe is Texas bitch and he knew it.

JLEW1818
8/13/2011, 09:58 AM
but it's not like texas actually went anywhere?

Lott's Bandana
8/13/2011, 10:01 AM
ESPN usually won't break anything unless its true.

yahoo, and other websites will do it and take a chance

but yes, DG is a dbag. :D

Think about how stoopid Misery would be if this happens. Losing their decent rivalry with KU, giving up a possible rivalry in the Big Ten with Illinois, only to get squashed like a bug in the SEC.

Silly, silly Slavers. Sigh.

The only thing going for them would be creating a "rivalry by annoyance", like LSU has done with everyone they play. Arkansas would probably get sick of Tigger fans immediately, like the other Tigger they play in Little Rock each year.

tfoolry
8/13/2011, 10:04 AM
lol wonder what Iowa State is doing... joining Canada?

Haha. MVC is calling.

3rdgensooner
8/13/2011, 10:09 AM
Hey A&M, go eat a dick!! You will get torched in that league!!
A&M has an all-time record of 53-72-4 against the current 6 members of the SEC West.

Jacie
8/13/2011, 10:11 AM
If the Big XII ceases to exist, who or what inherits the conference automatic BCS bowl bid?

OUHOMER
8/13/2011, 10:22 AM
What is your concern? It is essentially repalcing Iowa State, Baylor, Kansas State, and Kansas with:

That is a stronger 4-some from top to bottom. We also get access to the Rose bowl (hopefully) and at least one cross sectional game per year.....all that and we get to keep our main two rivals in conference.

I hate the pac, that simple. besides, i dont really want to have 11 pm kickoffs when we play out west.

SoonerMom2
8/13/2011, 10:23 AM

With you 100% -- the story is now on ESPN as being confirmed. I can really take going to LA every few years. Oklahoman was basically reporting last night that President Boren and OU was working behind the scenes and unlike TX and A&M don't put out everything in public.

thecynic
8/13/2011, 10:23 AM
take this for what it's worth. A friend of mine who works in TV in Dallas told me this morning A&M, FSU, Mizzou and Clemson to SEC confirmed.
I can't find it anywhere on the innernets confirmed, so again take it for what it's worth

SoonerMom2
8/13/2011, 10:24 AM
take this for what it's worth. A friend of mine who works in TV in Dallas told me this morning A&M, FSU, Mizzou and Clemson to SEC confirmed.
I can't find it anywhere on the innernets confirmed, so again take it for what it's worth

ESPN breaking news email just confirmed.

AlboSooner
8/13/2011, 10:24 AM
The ironic thing about all this is that it is in A&M and Texas's best interest to be in the same conference when you consider everything that college athletics should be about: great rivalaries, regional travel, passionate rival fan bases, etc. It's amazing to me that Texas's unchecked greed and ego and A&M's Napolean syndrom is forcing us to potentially be conference rivals w/ Utah and Arizona St.

I was thinking about the same thing yesterday. The student athletes must see the hypocrisy of the university presidents and AD's, who on one hand preach responsibility, friendship, loyalty, doing things the right way, and on the other hand behave completely different from what they preach.
It's the theater of the absurd.

I hope OU is heading West..

Collier11
8/13/2011, 10:26 AM
Like it or not, OU and tex do not want to break up the conference, why would they? They run it, they get a ton of money, and they have great shots at titles. They want to stick together

TIMB0B
8/13/2011, 10:27 AM
ND, BYU, Louisville, Cinci, AFA, Memphis

Lott's Bandana
8/13/2011, 10:32 AM
I hate the pac, that simple. besides, i dont really want to have 11 pm kickoffs when we play out west.

I'm intrigued by the idea of an afternoon game in Palo Alto, much more than Waco or Lubbock. But then, I have a west coast outlook on things.

Homes, you know you'd be watching if the kickoff was at 2am!!

SoonerMom2
8/13/2011, 10:33 AM
If anyone saw Stoops being asked questions, he kept looking down so he already knew what was happening. Even the Oklahoman reported that talks are going on behind the scenes by OU.

See the Longhorn Network going out the window and Texas joining OU, OSU, and Tech to the PAC 16 east! No way with Missouri going to SEC, can the Big 12 survive -- YEA! Now we can win the last Big 12 championship game!

It makes more sense to go West because where people understand or not, there are a lot of really nice down to earth people in Southern California. We used to live there and loved the area. I can sure take a game at the Rose Bowl or Colesium ever few years and become a tourist instead of a resident. Don't mind Colorado either as my youngest daughter now lives there and every other year we can go to an OU game in Colorado.

To quote Horace Greeley: Go West Young Man!

Dark day when we were transferred to the east coast from Yucaipa! Eventually ended up in Texas and now in the Home of the Oklahoma Sooners. So all is well in the end! Best place to live is right here.

soonervegas
8/13/2011, 10:33 AM
Like it or not, OU and tex do not want to break up the conference, why would they? They run it, they get a ton of money, and they have great shots at titles. They want to stick together

That theory should have held for the 80's SWC then for Texas....but when you are in a conference no one cares about it can hurt your overall brand. I am surprised Texas hasn't learned that lesson, but then again maybe I am not....

picasso
8/13/2011, 10:36 AM
I just hope our leadership gets us out. A conference built on OU and Texas is not a real conference. We'd be much better off going independent than having to play SMU and Houston and Air Force every year. An undefeated team from this new Big 8 + a couple rejects would not deserve to go to the championship over a one loss team from one of the 3 real conferences.

No.

Lott's Bandana
8/13/2011, 10:37 AM
I simply don't want to be the Top Dawg in an irrelevant conference.
Even if the Potato States of the world have prospered doing just that.

AlboSooner
8/13/2011, 10:42 AM
Our move to the west does nothing to hurt our recruiting. We already recruit Texas and the west coast, now imagine telling some HS kids that you're going to play in the Rose Bowl every other year, or that you're going to have exposure in Hollywood. Those stadiums and those states out west are absolutely beautiful.

Imagine telling the already impressive number of national merit scholars, that our academic affiliation will be with Stanford, UCLA, Cal and so on...

picasso
8/13/2011, 10:43 AM
The Big 12 is what we need. Beat Texas and make it to the title game.

SEC and independent talk is just silly.

SoonerMom2
8/13/2011, 10:45 AM
ESPN NCAAF - St. Louis Post Dispatch: Missouri AD Mike Alden denies report of potential move to SEC

OUHOMER
8/13/2011, 10:47 AM
I'm intrigued by the idea of an afternoon game in Palo Alto, much more than Waco or Lubbock. But then, I have a west coast outlook on things.

your right. :D

ouboomer1
8/13/2011, 10:49 AM
ESPN NCAAF - St. Louis Post Dispatch: Missouri AD Mike Alden denies report of potential move to SEC

Also being reported by DMN Chuck Carlton that the Big 12 is having a 3:00 pm teleconference with the ADs and Dan Beebe today.....

Widescreen
8/13/2011, 10:52 AM
The Big 12 is what we need. Beat Texas and make it to the title game.

SEC and independent talk is just silly.

So in your opinion at what point does the Big 12 become unviable? 5 teams? 3 teams? If it's just OU and UT, is that OK? The Big 12 is now toxic - especially if aTm and Mizzou leave. We need to get out.

AlboSooner
8/13/2011, 10:53 AM
Also being reported by DMN Chuck Carlton that the Big 12 is having a 3:00 pm teleconference with the ADs and Dan Beebe today.....

oh snap, dan beebe is taking ovar, oh yeah, we'renow safe

Sooner Eclipse
8/13/2011, 10:57 AM
See the Longhorn Network going out the window and Texas joining OU, OSU, and Tech to the PAC 16 east! No way with Missouri going to SEC, can the Big 12 survive -- YEA! Now we can win the last Big 12 championship game!

We already did that; OU/nebbish Dec-2010. There will be no B12 CCG this year. We dont have at least 12 teams anymore.:(

picasso
8/13/2011, 11:02 AM
So in your opinion at what point does the Big 12 become unviable? 5 teams? 3 teams? If it's just OU and UT, is that OK? The Big 12 is now toxic - especially if aTm and Mizzou leave. We need to get out.

I never said that. We can get a few teams to join the conference.

You really want to join the SEC? I'll pass.

JLEW1818
8/13/2011, 11:08 AM
Baylor is dropping down to D2

soonervegas
8/13/2011, 11:09 AM
As of 11:10am, I can now offically confirm that an unusually large portion of our fan base want OU (home of 7 national titles) to play in the following conference:

OU
Texas
OSU
Baylor
Tech
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Houston
SMU

Sooner Eclipse
8/13/2011, 11:09 AM

Guess Dodds has given beebe his marching orders. I wonder at what number Dodds thinks is the minimum for this conf to survive? Maybe he just want to discuss renaming the conf after UT. :mad:

OUDoc
8/13/2011, 11:10 AM
I would prefer the SEC, more prestige. We would adapt and be competitive. It's only a matter of recruiting athletes to the SEC's strengths instead of the Big 12's strengths, IMO.
The PAC?? would be easier, I think, but I don't have much respect for the football they play.
Since no one asked me my opinion, I guess it doesn't matter anyway.

picasso
8/13/2011, 11:10 AM
As of 11:10am, I can now offically confirm that an unusually large portion of our fan base want OU (home of 7 national titles) to play in the following conference:

OU
Texas
OSU
Baylor
Tech
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Houston
SMU

Who the hell named SMU and Houston? And, have you forgotten about the Big 8? It wasn't exactly all that mighty.

Augusta_Sooner
8/13/2011, 11:12 AM
Per ESPN just now.....wow this would give the SEC 16 teams and essentially top off their conference. If OU had any chance of joining the SEC, that door will close if these 4 teams join. That leaves the PAC 12 and Big 10 as the only other options. Come on OU, don't get left holding the bag. Make a move now. The SEC would dump Mizzou for OU in a heart beat. If A&M and Mizzou leave, even Jesus couldn't save the Big 12.

JLEW1818
8/13/2011, 11:14 AM
already posted and merged to the Sticky thread.

badger
8/13/2011, 11:14 AM
Beat A&M by 77 during first three quarters. Spend the entire 4th quarter with a running clock. Owen Field serenades the losers with "S-E-C" chants. Life is good.

Sooner Eclipse
8/13/2011, 11:15 AM

What teams do you think we can add that would want to join a conf that is falling apart at the seams? No more Texas teams. This thing is starting to smell like the old SWC. If we wanted to be in a ****ty league like the Big East we should join with KU and go with them. If Dodds/Beebe want to start adding all these mid majors we should rename it the Big Joke. **** UHCC - that place is a dump.

JLEW1818
8/13/2011, 11:16 AM
we are already starting to steal recruits on the west coast.. a move there would only increase

why the **** would anybody want to go to the SEC and compete in that hard *** conference every week? your ****ing insane if you think its overrated. they have won the last 5 titles, period.

JLEW1818
8/13/2011, 11:17 AM
Nebraska is prlly giggling right now... i ****ing hate them.

jumperstop
8/13/2011, 11:19 AM
Ugh.... I had a feeling we would be left out of anything cool.

Augusta_Sooner
8/13/2011, 11:20 AM
ESPN just reported that Clemson, FSU & Mizzou will follow A&M to the SEC. That would leave the conference with only 2 powerhouse teams, OU & Texas and one good/solid program, OSU. I don't see how the conference can survive when the majority of the conference is terrible. How can a conference have any credibility with only 2 power teams? I don't think the Big 12 survives, nor would I want it to. I want OU to make a move to either the SEC or PAC 12 before it's too late. If the 4 teams mentioned above bolt for the SEC, that tops them off at 16 teams. OU will not have an option of joining the SEC and be forced to join either the PAC 12 or Big 10. Come on OU, don't get left holding the bag by trying to salvage a junk conference.

tommieharris91
8/13/2011, 11:24 AM
Go West, young Sooners.

I just really wanna take trips to the Arizona schools to do some sightseeing there.

Widescreen
8/13/2011, 11:24 AM
If A&M and Mizzou leave, even Jesus couldn't save the Big 12.

But Dan Beebe can! :D

jumperstop
8/13/2011, 11:25 AM
But Missouri AD also just confirmed they will not be going to SEC.

Widescreen
8/13/2011, 11:28 AM

No, I'd rather go west. SEC would be OK but not my first choice.

I would prefer the SEC, more prestige. We would adapt and be competitive. It's only a matter of recruiting athletes to the SEC's strengths instead of the Big 12's strengths, IMO.
The PAC?? would be easier, I think, but I don't have much respect for the football they play.
Since no one asked me my opinion, I guess it doesn't matter anyway.

I care about your opinion about everything, Doc.

Flagstaffsooner
8/13/2011, 11:33 AM
:D

picasso
8/13/2011, 11:33 AM
What teams do you think we can add that would want to join a conf that is falling apart at the seams? No more Texas teams. This thing is starting to smell like the old SWC. If we wanted to be in a ****ty league like the Big East we should join with KU and go with them. If Dodds/Beebe want to start adding all these mid majors we should rename it the Big Joke. **** UHCC - that place is a dump.

BYU, TCU.

It's a crazy time we live in.

Augusta_Sooner
8/13/2011, 11:36 AM
Replace Mizzou with OU and I'll be happy. The conference is losing credibilty and strength every year with the losses of Nebraska, A&M and Colorado. The conference will be a joke if those teams are replaced with mid-major type schools. I have a feeling OU will join the Big 10. Hope they join the PAC 12 instead which will help recruiting in Cali. If Mizzou's AD is just saying that to deflect attention away from his school, I wouldn't be surprised. Remember, Mizzou wanted a Big 10 invite last year and didn't get one. So, they are willing to jump ship to another conference. How about OU, OSU, Mizzou and KU to the Big 10?

soonervegas
8/13/2011, 11:36 AM
But Missouri AD also just confirmed they will not be going to SEC.

Bebee must have sold him some more magic beans....

picasso
8/13/2011, 11:38 AM
Screw the SEC.

Sooner98
8/13/2011, 11:44 AM
We're not going anywhere! THE BIG 12 WITH EIGHT TEAMS WILL BE EVEN STRONGER THAN EVER!!!!!!!!11!1

Soonermagik
8/13/2011, 11:48 AM
Screw Dan Bebe; OU needs to bail fast!!! The Big 12 can't survive with losing A&M and Mizzou. The talk of adding Houston, SMU etc.. is beyond dumb.

OU can't get in a super watered down conference. A 1 loss SEC team could easily jump them for a NC game. If OU has any sense they will grab Texas, Tech and OSU and head for the new PAC 16! Plus, this would really open up California recruiting!!

Veritas
Nebraska is prlly giggling right now... i ****ing hate them.
Man, we're giggling at the whorns, hoping they get frozen out. We hoping and praying that the Big 10 pursues OU. Honestly man, we Bugeaters got nothing but love for the Sooners.

mightysooner
Mizzou will go to the Big 10 before they join the SEC

3rdgensooner
8/13/2011, 11:49 AM
The Big 10 doesn't want OSU.

bluedogok
8/13/2011, 11:50 AM
Think about how stoopid Misery would be if this happens. Losing their decent rivalry with KU, giving up a possible rivalry in the Big Ten with Illinois, only to get squashed like a bug in the SEC.

Silly, silly Slavers. Sigh.

The only thing going for them would be creating a "rivalry by annoyance", like LSU has done with everyone they play. Arkansas would probably get sick of Tigger fans immediately, like the other Tigger they play in Little Rock each year.
I think the Big 10 is a pipe dream for them, one that they have made plain and clear for a long time. For some reason I think they have little chance of a legitimate Big 10 invite or else they wouldn't even consider an SEC invite. I would bet they had had discussions with the Big 10 Commissioner and some of the AD's gauging interest.

I just prefer the east over the west, always have, not much of a California fan. Although, with a possible move from Austin to Denver it might work out better for me. I would rather join the SEC but a Pac-16 is definitely the second best option in my mind, much better than staying aboard this sinking ship that it seems like might look to add teams like Texas State, UTSA and UNT because they would vote with Texas for the chance to be in the Big 12. I am sure some of the former SWC mates of Texas have some reservations about getting into bed with them again.