PDA

View Full Version : Travis Lewis to miss eight weeks with injury

Jay C. Upchurch
8/9/2011, 10:49 AM
NORMAN — Travis Lewis, Oklahoma’s starting weak side linebacker and the Sooners’ leading tackler in each of the last three seasons, is expected to miss eight weeks after suffering a broken bone in his left foot during Monday’s practice.

OU Head Coach Bob Stoops said that Corey Nelson will move into Lewis’ position and that Tony Jefferson will work at the nickel back. Javon Harris will then see increased time at safety.

“We’re disappointed for Travis,” Stoops said. “He has worked very hard and I know he’ll want to get back as quickly as possible.

“We’ll adapt in the meantime. We’ve recruited very well and have some excellent athletes in those positions. I’m confident that those players will perform well.”

OU Head Athletic Trainer Scott Anderson said the injury does not require surgery. The treatment consists of rest and immobilization according to Anderson.

Lewis, a senior from San Antonio, Texas, has 362 tackles through his first three seasons at Oklahoma along with eight interceptions and six sacks.

Nelson, a sophomore from Dallas, saw action in all 14 games last season accumulating 21 tackles.

OU SID Report

SoonerStud615
8/9/2011, 10:50 AM
Just saw this...:mad:

Hope this trend doesn't continue. That said...at least it's only eight weeks.

ousooner1980
8/9/2011, 10:50 AM
Terrible NEWS

yankee
8/9/2011, 10:51 AM
**** **** **** **** **** son of a b**** ****

LVSOONER15
8/9/2011, 10:51 AM
That sucks but we can still win.

vtsooner21
8/9/2011, 10:53 AM
OK...This has to be an error....or very bad joke...Tell me that this isn't true. Has the curse begun already?
Boomer

Boomer.....
8/9/2011, 10:54 AM
Damn!

:mad:

TahoeSOONER
8/9/2011, 10:54 AM
Losing the captain of a young defense is not good. Get well and get back on the field Travis. Good reps for Nelson and Travis will be back for the stretch run, well rested.

delhalew
8/9/2011, 10:55 AM
Who will lead the defense?

oumartin
8/9/2011, 10:56 AM

somebody else.

LVSOONER15
8/9/2011, 10:59 AM
Hopefully its just 8 weeks, this staff has a history of downplaying injuries.

OUHOMER
8/9/2011, 11:00 AM
Damn it. Thats all I can think to say right now. DAMN IT

sooneredaco
8/9/2011, 11:01 AM

Bob and Brent

Ruf/Nek7
8/9/2011, 11:01 AM
This sucks. OU (at least in bball) trainers have an uncanny ability to get players back in action Sooner than expected. Just to be positive, i say he gets back on the field in 6 weeks. Giving him just enough time to shake off any rust and destroy *

NormanPride
8/9/2011, 11:02 AM
Oh well. At least we have "the best player on our defense" to step in. Back 7 are really young now, but I imagine Hurst and Fleming can corral the newbies since they've both been around awhile.

LakeRat
8 game weeks or 8 weeks from today? Does that put him back for Texass? or are we looking at november?

oumartin
Surely we can find someone else to take plays off and take wrong angles

Neath a Western Sky
8/9/2011, 11:03 AM
Bad news, tougher hill to climb now. Hopefully we'll climb it, but to say this doesn't make it harder would be foolish.

delhalew
8/9/2011, 11:04 AM
somebody else.

Think you're funny, huh?

3rdgensooner
8/9/2011, 11:05 AM
We will miss him in Tallahassee for sure.

colinreturn
8/9/2011, 11:06 AM

Tear Down This Wall
8/9/2011, 11:07 AM
Broken toe? Eight weeks??? Are you kidding me?

Rocky Calmus and the broken leg he played on during the 1999 B e d l a m Game are laughing at you!

nativesooner
8/9/2011, 11:08 AM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/8/19/whyyyyyyyyy128636708660193081.jpg

oumartin
8/9/2011, 11:09 AM
Broken toe?

Rocky Calmus and the broken leg he played on during the 1999 B e d l a m Game are laughing at you!

exactly

WE ARE dirtburglars
8/9/2011, 11:10 AM
This is very very bad for us. I sure hope Corey Nelson is ready to step up. With all the praise hes been getting you know he has the ability, he just needs to do it on the field now.

NormanPride
8/9/2011, 11:10 AM
Well, at least it's early in the fall so we can give Corey all the reps he needs. Hopefully everyone else stays healthy and we are ready for FSU in about 5 weeks. Who knows, maybe Travis will even be back by then.

Always_Sooner
8/9/2011, 11:11 AM
I hope this isn't 2009 all over again.

Tear Down This Wall
8/9/2011, 11:11 AM
Rocky: http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/calmus_rocky00.html

Didn't start against OSU in the regular season finale because of a fractured bone in his leg … Still played all but six series in the game and finished with nine tackles … Started at the Independence Bowl after just five days of practice

NormanPride
8/9/2011, 11:12 AM
I remember when Broyles was out for four to six weeks in 09, and then came back in two...

badger
8/9/2011, 11:12 AM
More info here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=440&articleid=20110809_440_0_TheUni95753)
:(

EatLeadCommie
8/9/2011, 11:17 AM
8 game weeks or 8 weeks from today? Does that put him back for Texass? or are we looking at november?

This.

soonersam
NO...... Say it aint so

NormanPride
Week 1 - Practice
Week 2 - Practice
Week 3 - Practice
Week 4 - Tulsa
Week 5 - BYE
Week 6 - @ FSU (Could he be back in 6 weeks?)
Week 7 - Mizzou
Week 8 - Ball State

Step back from the ledge. We will be fine.

LVSOONER15
8/9/2011, 11:19 AM
Great quote by Lewis:
Lewis also said in Dallas that Nelson needs to play this season, even if it means Lewis himself were to sit.

Quik Sand
8/9/2011, 11:19 AM
what NP said.

NormanPride
8/9/2011, 11:20 AM
And anyone that thinks he won't be pushing to get back as soon as it's safe and he can tolerate the pain doesn't know the dedication these guys have to the team. Even if he's only out for a couple plays a series he can be a field general.

soonervegas
8/9/2011, 11:21 AM
I agree with NP. I would put money on him running out on the field September 17th.

delhalew
8/9/2011, 11:22 AM
Week 1 - Practice
Week 2 - Practice
Week 3 - Practice
Week 4 - Tulsa
Week 5 - BYE
Week 6 - @ FSU (Could he be back in 6 weeks?)
Week 7 - Mizzou
Week 8 - Ball State

Step back from the ledge. We will be fine.

No ledge, but our D needs a general on the field. Youth and what not.

3rdgensooner
8/9/2011, 11:23 AM
I hope the Hammer is eligible.

NormanPride
8/9/2011, 11:23 AM
Tony J started a full year. Hurst and Fleming have both been starters for two years. Harris has started games. Wort has started a year. We'll be okay.

Sooner98
8/9/2011, 11:27 AM
WWaLxFIVX1s

delhalew
8/9/2011, 11:28 AM
I think he'll be back rather quickly. I can't help bit think of the difference Austin made on the field, even when he could barely run.

The Maestro
8/9/2011, 11:28 AM
We will be fine, but coming out of Spring if you had told me no Box or Lewis on the field at Florida State I would not have been too happy about it for the Sooners chances. So it does suck...especially because LB is not exactly our best depth on the team. Go watch the LB drills on All Access...noticeable difference from the stars to the pups.

sperry
8/9/2011, 11:30 AM
Tony J started a full year. Hurst and Fleming have both been starters for two years. Harris has started games. Wort has started a year. We'll be okay.

We're down our two best linebackers from last year. That's bad. If we can get past Florida St. we should win the other games, but losing your defensive captain for a road game against a top 5 team is a really bad thing.

delhalew
8/9/2011, 11:30 AM
We will be fine, but coming out of Spring if you had told me no Box or Lewis on the field at Florida State I would not have been too happy about it for the Sooners chances. So it does suck...especially because LB is not exactly our best depth on the team. Go watch the LB drills on All Access...noticeable difference from the stars to the pups.

Surely FSU will target the pups.

delhalew
8/9/2011, 11:34 AM
We're down our two best linebackers from last year. That's bad. If we can get past Florida St. we should win the other games, but losing your defensive captain for a road game against a top 5 team is a really bad thing.

The denial about this being an issue confounds me.

Partial Qualifier
8/9/2011, 11:35 AM
Rocky: http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/calmus_rocky00.html

Didn't start against OSU in the regular season finale because of a fractured bone in his leg … Still played all but six series in the game and finished with nine tackles … Started at the Independence Bowl after just five days of practice

INT returns for touchdowns while wearing a full arm cast, ain't nuthin but a 'G' thang BAYbay

http://espn.go.com/i/abcsports/bcs/1012/photo/s_rocky_i.jpg

NormanPride
8/9/2011, 11:38 AM
It's not that I don't think it's an issue. I just think he'll be back for FSU.

Tear Down This Wall
8/9/2011, 11:40 AM
Broken Toes:

http://www.nesn.com/2011/06/milan-lucics-broken-toe-just-one-of-many-injuries-bruins-battled-through-on-way-to-cup.html
"Lucic didn't miss a game, and doesn't think there's much that could get him out of the lineup in the postseason.

'I think if you broke my leg I still would have tried to do it and get out there," Lucic said.'"

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5573332
"He's been playing with it for two weeks," Girardi told ESPNNewYork.com. "You can't do much for broken toes, that's the thing."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/champions_league/1957473.stm
"Ballack found Neuville - playing with a broken toe - in half a yard of space on the edge of the United box.

The German international turned instantly and clipped a shot over Barthez and in off the underside of the bar...."

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/default/article/LU-s-Dawkins-played-full-season-with-broken-toe-745228.php
Dawkins played the entire season with a fractured big toe on his left foot, and the injury might require surgery.

"I think it affected him a lot," said Roccaforte, whose team finished the season 15-15 overall and 6-10 in the Southland. "His game is based on speed and quickness."

Although Dawkins posted a team-leading 15.2 points per game, Roccaforte said the toe injury affected Dawkins' shooting accuracy.

delhalew
8/9/2011, 11:41 AM
It's not that I don't think it's an issue. I just think he'll be back for FSU.

Certainly possible. We can hope.

delhalew
8/9/2011, 11:44 AM
Broken Toes:

http://www.nesn.com/2011/06/milan-lucics-broken-toe-just-one-of-many-injuries-bruins-battled-through-on-way-to-cup.html
"Lucic didn't miss a game, and doesn't think there's much that could get him out of the lineup in the postseason.

'I think if you broke my leg I still would have tried to do it and get out there," Lucic said.'"

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5573332
"He's been playing with it for two weeks," Girardi told ESPNNewYork.com. "You can't do much for broken toes, that's the thing."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/champions_league/1957473.stm
"Ballack found Neuville - playing with a broken toe - in half a yard of space on the edge of the United box.

The German international turned instantly and clipped a shot over Barthez and in off the underside of the bar...."

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/default/article/LU-s-Dawkins-played-full-season-with-broken-toe-745228.php
Dawkins played the entire season with a fractured big toe on his left foot, and the injury might require surgery.

"I think it affected him a lot," said Roccaforte, whose team finished the season 15-15 overall and 6-10 in the Southland. "His game is based on speed and quickness."

Although Dawkins posted a team-leading 15.2 points per game, Roccaforte said the toe injury affected Dawkins' shooting accuracy.

I never saw it specified that it was a toe. The reports said foot.

LVSOONER15
Certainly possible. We can hope.

Well let's hope so. Also I hope no one else gets hurt.

Tear Down This Wall
INT returns for touchdowns while wearing a full arm cast, ain't nuthin but a 'G' thang BAYbay

http://espn.go.com/i/abcsports/bcs/1012/photo/s_rocky_i.jpg

Forgot about the broken arm TD against...Chrissy Sims? Or, was it Major Applesauce? We broke them both down that afternoon!

Rocky was like the Black Knight in Monty Python, dude!

BoulderSooner79

Denial or acceptance here makes a difference how?

EDIT: answer my own question - for folks here that bet the games. I don't.

The Maestro
8/9/2011, 11:46 AM
You know, knowing Stoops, he is playing possum with Travis...throwing out that 8 weeks thing and then sneaking him back in there would be awesome.

Or he's not.

But I hope he is. We'll be in nickel the entire Tulsa game, I suppose, due to their passing game.

yankee
8/9/2011, 11:47 AM
Surely we can find someone else to take plays off and take wrong angles

Lmao!

LakeRat
8/9/2011, 11:48 AM
There is a difference between a broken bone in a foot and a broken toe. If this is the worst thing that happens, we will be fine and lifting the crystal ball.

LVSOONER15
8/9/2011, 11:52 AM
ESPN reported a broken toe. Just sayin

DakotaSooner
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

delhalew
You know, knowing Stoops, he is playing possum with Travis...throwing out that 8 weeks thing and then sneaking him back in there would be awesome.

Or he's not.

But I hope he is. We'll be in nickel the entire Tulsa game, I suppose, due to their passing game.

Totally plausible, and equally hilarious considering how Bob mind****ed them last year.

Widescreen
8/9/2011, 11:53 AM
Our LB corp is now extremely young and inexperienced. Get back soon, Travis! Please don't let this be another Gresham situation.

Tear Down This Wall
8/9/2011, 11:54 AM
I never saw it specified that it was a toe. The reports said foot.

A-ha! They've now switched the Title of the thread from "with broken toe" to "with injury."

That changes things?

yankee
8/9/2011, 11:56 AM
So...Broken toe is "better" than breaking a bone in the foot right?

Ruf/Nek7
8/9/2011, 11:57 AM
All I have read is that it is a broken bone in the foot but what i like to hear is that the injury will not require surgery. Which, IMO, means he should be back to get some reps in against FSU.

BoulderSooner79
8/9/2011, 12:02 PM
So...Broken toe is "better" than breaking a bone in the foot right?

I don't see why; many players have missed long periods of time with turf toe. It's such a tough injury to judge (foot or toe). If the player tries to come back too soon, one hard plant and snap - start over.

StoopTroup
8/9/2011, 12:02 PM
Or fighting to get his job back.

tfoolry
8/9/2011, 12:05 PM
http://tenso.blog.br/wp-content/2009/03/fuuuuuu121.jpg

cccasooner2
8/9/2011, 12:05 PM
Just got back from perusing the SO board. May I be the first to blame Obama? :(

CBUS_SOONER
8/9/2011, 12:06 PM
ESPN reported a broken toe. Just sayin

Gotta more than a broken toe... I broke my big left toe in college and only missed two practices(basketball).

ouleaf
8/9/2011, 12:06 PM
Hope he gets back ASAP. It will be hard to replace that kind of leadership out on the field.

jumperstop
8/9/2011, 12:07 PM
I'm not going to begin speculating with no information like a lot of people on here. Best case or worst case this is not good news. Hope he gets better sooner rather than later.

CBUS_SOONER
8/9/2011, 12:13 PM
I am just gonna expect every season from here on out to be a disaster. I may start watching nascar too

PLaw
8/9/2011, 12:19 PM
Man, this sucks. Makes you wonder what we have done to **** off the football gods to take another team leader right before the start of the season.

Think back to Gresh, then Sam goes down. Go back a little more and think how many bowl games that we have been short handed due to injury or stupidity. Think about what Bob's record might have been had we been full strength going into those contests?

We really needed TL to provide leadership on the field early this year. Talahassee just got a whole lot tougher.

Wort at Mike; Nelson at Will; Ibiloye at Sam???

Bummer

SoonerPride
8/9/2011, 12:19 PM
:(

thecrimsoncrusader
8/9/2011, 12:20 PM
For the "every team has injuries" crowd, only Oklahoma has injuries to key fricking starters almost every year and to players that come back for their senior years who could have gone onto the NFL.

At least there is a game of experience there, a bye and then FSU and then Oklahoma really doesn't absolutely require Travis Lewis again until the Oklahoma St. game. Every other team is going to be ground round, especially in Norman. Rumors are that Missouri and ATM aren't even going to show up, since they know what is going to happen to them because of last season.

Oklahoma will be fine, but I hate to see that all but kills his chances for a Butkus that he would have been a very strong candidate for. I know he has bigger goals than that even, but still.

cleller
8/9/2011, 12:27 PM
We've seen what can happen when one inexperienced linebacker makes a few mistakes. Despite being a fast guy and great tackler, everyone was ready for Box to return to replace Wort.

According to the latest depth chart, this will make our starters Wort, Jefferson, and Nelson. All good players, none with a whole lot of experience as a starting LB.
Nelson will get to prove Stoops confidence in him in a hurry. I'm also interested to see in Jefferson's presence at LB helps out for some of those pesky throws up the middle that bedevil our D at times. I know, its by design, but it still drives me nuts.

SoonerNate
8/9/2011, 12:30 PM
Why the **** do our guys continue to get hurt every August?

thecrimsoncrusader
8/9/2011, 12:31 PM
OU's linebacking corps last season was greatly effected by an inexperienced DT and a DT who should have never been on the field in the first place for first 7 games because of injury. Once two healthy DTs were playing, that's when Oklahoma's defense got much better.

Box was a huge boost, but that's not all that happened there. Plus, Wort was fine in the 2nd half of the season and Nelson got decent enough playing time last season, something Wort didn't have the benefit of in the prior season due to the knee injury.

TahoeSOONER
8/9/2011, 12:37 PM
Oklahoma will be fine. This is nothing like losing Reynolds against Texas. Wort getting a year of experience, topped with Nelson playmaking and Jefferson versatility...the youngins will hold that **** down until Travis gets back for the meat of the schedule.

We got depth.

SoonerofAlabama
8/9/2011, 12:38 PM
I sure do hope that Corey Nelson was as good as bob Stoops said he was because he's about to get a starting job. The good thing is it happened a little earlier in fall practice so he will be available to play still fairly early in the season.

OUVarsityXV
8/9/2011, 12:39 PM
I am ****ing depressed now. ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

picasso
8/9/2011, 12:53 PM
Why the **** do our guys continue to get hurt every August?

I think it coincides with football practice.

Illuminati
I can say two words that should make every wise person calm down...

COREY NELSON

SouthCarolinaSooner
Who moves into his place? Corey Nelson is listed as 2nd on the depth chart but do you slide Ronnell Lewis back to LB and let RJ Washington start at DE?

MamaMia
8/9/2011, 12:55 PM
Praying for a fast and complete recovery. :(

MojoRisen
8/9/2011, 12:56 PM
We are going to miss his MOJO... However his best year was his freshman year and Corey Nelson should fill in with all the practice we got left.

This sucks though... go figure.

MamaMia
8/9/2011, 01:00 PM
He'll miss what...4 games? Cant he apply for a hardship and still be able to play in a couple of games?

OUVarsityXV
8/9/2011, 01:15 PM
Seriously. I feel sick. Defensive captain down. I am at work and it is hard to focus on anything. I guess I am being dramatic. I just hate not living up to our expectations and it would kill me if 2009 happened again this year.

tcrb
8/9/2011, 01:16 PM
Has anyone blamed Schmitty yet?

thecrimsoncrusader
8/9/2011, 01:16 PM
Corey Nelson is even faster than Teddy Lehman who was faster than Chuck Norris.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/9/2011, 01:17 PM
Has anyone blamed Schmitty yet?

A foregone conclusion, tcrb, so it wasn't even worth mentioning.

delhalew
8/9/2011, 01:19 PM
Seriously. I feel sick. Defensive captain down. I am at work and it is hard to focus on anything. I guess I am being dramatic. I just hate not living up to our expectations and it would kill me if 2009 happened again this year.

Take a breath.

NormanPride
8/9/2011, 01:23 PM
2009 was a perfect storm. Lost QB in first game, lost TE the week of the game, and the OL was brand new. It didn't help that none of the WRs were any good yet.

Losing one starter on D is not the end of the team. When was the last time we didn't have a playmaker at the WLB?

SoonerLB
8/9/2011, 01:25 PM
Look on the bright side, he'll be healed up and well rested going into the National Championship game! :)

REDREX
8/9/2011, 01:28 PM
Now saying it is a broken toe

SoonerofAlabama
8/9/2011, 01:32 PM
Look on the bright side, he'll be healed up and well rested going into the National Championship game! :)

From my math, I don't know if I am right here, he will be healed, if he went exactly 8 weeks from today, by October 4th. Which would mean he would be ready to play the Longhorns.

PLaw
8/9/2011, 01:33 PM
Toe or foot???

SoonerofAlabama
8/9/2011, 01:34 PM
If it's a toe, will it be less than eight weeks?

Boomer.....
8/9/2011, 01:37 PM
If it's just a toe he can rub some dirt on it and be ready September 3.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/9/2011, 01:44 PM
I reckon he is back for Ball St. Nothing that duct tape, Bret Favre vitamins and steroid shots can't fix!

OUInformant
8/9/2011, 01:47 PM
He should pour Robitussin on it and walk it off.

cleller
8/9/2011, 01:50 PM

What you are feeling is rational and normal. Focusing on something as mundane as work right now would be irrational, unless you happen to be Ben Bernanke.

Illuminati
I don't see him missing the FSU game...I just don't

SoonerofAlabama
This day is reiterating the saying No News is Good News. Hopefully he recovers quickly.

The Maestro
8/9/2011, 01:52 PM
He should pour Robitussin on it and walk it off.

It's actually Campho Phenique.

Gah. Can't they just cut the damn toe off?

Illuminati
8/9/2011, 01:54 PM
Why do people panic when we have injuries?? We'll be fine

Stoops in APRIL: LB Corey Nelson "looks like our best player on defense. In fact, it's not even close."

OUInformant
8/9/2011, 02:03 PM
Fortunately, it's only 8 weeks. It's not show-stopping by any means. FSU is about 40 days away, which is about 8 business weeks. Other than that, we'll have him for Big 12 play, definitely by Texas. We play Missouri at home and Ball St. before then.

We'll just have to make due w/o him for awhile, and possibly against FSU.

LVSOONER15
8/9/2011, 02:20 PM
This is where we will see some real team character. BOOMER!!!!

JLEW1818
8/9/2011, 02:21 PM
gotta be kidding me

JLEW1818
8/9/2011, 02:22 PM

Stoops in APRIL: LB Corey Nelson "looks like our best player on defense. In fact, it's not even close."

WE PANICKED IN 2009 AND WE WERE NOT FINE

The Maestro
8/9/2011, 02:31 PM

You mean like when we lost Sam for the rest of Texas Tech after the first play and in 2009?

Like when we lost DeMarco for the Fiesta Bowl vs. WVU and in the national title game vs. Florida?

Jermaine Gresham?

thecrimsoncrusader
8/9/2011, 02:34 PM
I'm sure Jason White would have still been off-target in that wide open pass to Kejuan Jones in the Sugar Bowl if his hand wasn't broke. Well, not really.

There is a difference between losing a starter and a key starter and Travis Lewis is a key starter.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/9/2011, 02:35 PM
Losing Ryan Reynolds didn't hurt in the 2008 OU/TX game either. No wait. They went from 0 yards rushing to 160 yards rushing.

olevetonahill
8/9/2011, 02:39 PM
Unless the Trainers and Coaches Make him sit those 8 weeks. I dont see him sittin out that long. The young man has way to much intensity :cool:

The Maestro
8/9/2011, 02:43 PM
Unless the Trainers and Coaches Make him sit those 8 weeks. I dont see him sittin out that long. The young man has way to much intensity :cool:

Hope this is right and I somewhat expect it.

But then again, I also expect us to hear today that Ronnell is ineligible...cause that would make me miserable and so--expected!

JLEW1818
8/9/2011, 02:45 PM
i hate bones

Wishboned
8/9/2011, 02:47 PM
Now saying it is a broken toe

A defense without leaders is like a foot without a big toe. And Travis Lewis isn't always gonna be here to be that big toe for us. I think that we owe a big round of applause to our newest, bestest buddy, and big toe...Corey Nelson.

olevetonahill
8/9/2011, 02:48 PM
i hate bones

Why couldnt they all be like Bomar and have Bendy bones :D

starclassic tama
8/9/2011, 02:49 PM
pretty weak how so many people in this thread are questioning his toughness talking about how many players have played with leg or foot injuries. he hasn't had a major injury in 3 full seasons of playing, and nobody knows the extent of his injury.

picasso
8/9/2011, 02:49 PM
A defense without leaders is like a foot without a big toe. And Travis Lewis isn't always gonna be here to be that big toe for us. I think that we owe a big round of applause to our newest, bestest buddy, and big toe...Corey Nelson.

Uncle Hulka?

JLEW1818
8/9/2011, 02:54 PM
i feel we are a good enough team to even win without him. God bless Travis.

At least he didn't break it the week of a game week. We have time to prepare still.

Get well soon Travis!

NormanPride
8/9/2011, 03:02 PM
i hate bones
My only regret is that I had boneitis!

stoops the eternal pimp
8/9/2011, 03:04 PM
i hate bones

you love my boner though

tcrb
8/9/2011, 03:05 PM
Not downplaying the extent of his injury or his importance to the defense as a leader, but this is not the end of the world as some are portraying it. As has been already said in this thread, TL is a pretty tough kid, it may not take 8 weeks for him to get back in the lineup. And we should also give the rest of the D some credit...they haven't played a down yet and who knows.....they might be up for the challenge.

adoniijahsooner
8/9/2011, 03:11 PM
I saw this quote yesterday. Though it is referencing middle linebacker, it seems that we have more depth at linebacker than many of us believe. This is from Brent Venables. Also, I truly believe we can outscore any team on our schedule, if it comes to that.

“We really like the group of guys that we have. Tom Wort, Jaydan Bird - I think Corey Nelson can flip over there. Rashod Favors had a really good spring. I’m really pleased with his progress and I think he’s going to be a really good player in time.

“We’ve got Londell Taylor looking at that position as well. But I think we’ll have three or four guys that can play there at any point in time.

NormanPride
8/9/2011, 03:13 PM
Gonna have to shoot him to keep him out of FSU, imo.

JLEW1818
8/9/2011, 03:15 PM
something tells me having the bye week before Florida State will help some ..

boomersooner28
8/9/2011, 03:16 PM
Poor Travis. I know he has to be devastated. He is a very confident and positive person so he will be fine, but this sucks for him. I am pissed off more for TLEW than I am for us as fans.

cccasooner2
8/9/2011, 03:18 PM
Does anyone know how it happened? Some freak thing where a 300+ lb lineman got knocked backwards and stepped on his foot? A gopher hole? A Rat block that knocked him silly and in frustration he stuck his toe in the ground in an oh shucks moment?

PalmBeachSooner
8/9/2011, 03:21 PM

FSU's offense doesn't really scare me. If our offense can put points up on the board early it forces FSU to put the game in the QB's hands. If the game comes down to QB play then we should win.

Wishboned
8/9/2011, 03:23 PM
Does anyone know how it happened? Some freak thing where a 300+ lb lineman got knocked backwards and stepped on his foot? A gopher hole? A Rat block that knocked him silly and in frustration he stuck his toe in the ground in an oh shucks moment?

A bad case of Toelio.

olevetonahill
8/9/2011, 03:25 PM

Thats My thinkin bro.:cool:

cantwait48
8/9/2011, 03:27 PM

he stepped in a mole hole doing the pre practice haka

cccasooner2
8/9/2011, 03:30 PM
Poor Travis. I know he has to be devastated. He is a very confident and positive person so he will be fine, but this sucks for him. I am pissed off more for TLEW than I am for us as fans.

A very selfish attitude.

OUstud
8/9/2011, 03:43 PM

THIS. Everyone needs to calm the **** down. He's gonna be on the field September 17, if not before that against Tulsa. Maybe not 100%, but his 80% is better than most LBs' 100.

TexasEx4OU
8/9/2011, 03:55 PM
Uncle Hulka?

That's Sgt. Hulka, to you. And don't forget the locker box inspection.

The Maestro
8/9/2011, 04:02 PM
If we get another injury I am gonna feel like THIS guy...

jGIBk9_c4Xs

BoulderSooner79
8/9/2011, 04:25 PM

You mean like when we lost Sam for the rest of Texas Tech after the first play and in 2009?

Like when we lost DeMarco for the Fiesta Bowl vs. WVU and in the national title game vs. Florida?

Jermaine Gresham?

See! We panicked on those occasions, so panicking on SF.com is clearly the problem.

IronHorseSooner
8/9/2011, 04:36 PM
I will be quite shocked if he is out for the FSU game. The game is over five weeks away.

tfoolry
8/9/2011, 04:39 PM
It was a toe injury that basically ended Deion's career. I hope it's not that serious of an injury as as even though Deion could still play back in 2000, he was never 100% again.

http://www.prorehabpc.com/library.asp?ID=37

Sabanball
8/9/2011, 04:50 PM
A tough break, but I think you guys will be fine.

Big D Sooner
8/9/2011, 05:00 PM
They haven't come out and said what exactly the injury is but I am going to venture a guess that he broke his 5th metatarsal. Those take a while to heal and coming back before 8 weeks will be difficult. You don't want to rush back because you risk re-injury. When it does heal, then it shouldn't be a problem for him after that. The problem will be that he will have to be nonweightbearing for a period of time so that when he is able to come back, he likely won't be near full speed for a while.

The only saving grace is that Nelson seems to be a solid player. We sometimes criticize Stoops for burning redshirts but with this guy, his time last year will be invaluable now. I worry about stopping the run now because Nelson is a small linebacker. Wort is on the small side as well and hasn't really proven to be a great run stopper (although, granted, he has only played one year). I wonder if a guy like Bird who has a little more size may see time against FSU.

gosooner2
8/9/2011, 05:43 PM
I cannot believe that anyone who knows anything about football does not believe that losing Box and Lewis is not a BIG,BIG loss. Wort is not Box and Nelson is not Lewis. This is bigger than most seem to think. End of the world? No but big losses.

JLEW1818
8/9/2011, 06:42 PM
Wort did start like 9 games at MLB last year

MamaMia
8/9/2011, 06:49 PM
WE PANICKED IN 2009 AND WE WERE NOT FINE
"The word for season before last was "plagued." :(

silverwheels
8/9/2011, 06:50 PM
The defense is definitely going to miss a step, and he'll likely be out for 3 of our 5 biggest games, which is a huge blow to our (already slim, in my opinion) BCS title hopes.

JLEW1818
8/9/2011, 06:52 PM
The defense is definitely going to miss a step, and he'll likely be out for 3 of our 5 biggest games, which is a huge blow to our (already slim, in my opinion) BCS title hopes.

but say we beat FSU, who do you see us losing to?

soonercoop1
8/9/2011, 07:15 PM
Huge blow minus Box and Lewis... BVs complicated scheme requires experienced LBs to work properly...I see an exposed middle in our future...

silverwheels
8/9/2011, 07:25 PM
but say we beat FSU, who do you see us losing to?

Missouri is going to present a tough challenge, even in Norman. We only beat Texas by 8 last year even though they sucked, so that will be tough. Tulsa has a high-powered offense that could expose our now weakened LB corps. This is all without FSU in the equation.

Not guaranteeing a loss, but the chances of losing a game or two in the first half of the season just went up dramatically. You don't lose a player with the skill, experience, and leadership like Lewis and expect to keep trucking on like nothing happened, not to mention losing Box, God rest his soul.

Remember how poor our defense became in 2008 after Reynolds went down against Texas? I'm expecting similar results here. Of course, we still made it to the title game, but that was because we had the highest-scoring team of all time. I don't think this year's offense will match that. It will be really good, of course, but that unit was special.

JLEW1818
8/9/2011, 07:31 PM
but remember how strong our defense got towards the end of the 2008 season? minus the Oklahoma State game. We held Tech, Missouri, and Florida to well below their averages. It was our offense that lost to Florida.

Losing Lewis sucks, but at least we almost have a full month to make an adjustment.

I don't think we lose a home game. and we beat texas. We sucked in 2009
and only lost to the horns by 3 points to probably one of their best teams ever? so anything could happen, either way.

Wort started 9 games at MLB last year and did a great job. Sure i would prlly still want Box.

We are def worse without Travis Lewis. Weakside LB's will still get a lot of tackles.

silverwheels
8/9/2011, 07:37 PM
Yes, having 3 weeks to prepare without Lewis is better than throwing poor Brandon Crow to the wolves against Texas in 2008. And I'm glad we should have Lewis back for A&M and OSU, who are probably our toughest opponents this year, with FSU and Missouri right behind them.

I'm mostly concerned about missing T-Lew's intangibles out there.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/9/2011, 07:58 PM
Oklahoma is going to kill Missouri and ATM in Norman. Neither team will be as good as last season either despite their wishful thinking. ATM losing Von Miller was like Oklahoma losing McCoy. You don't replace them the very next season. ATM won't be pulling any surprises with Tannehill this season either.

Big D Sooner
8/9/2011, 08:11 PM
Tell you what can help defend the run. If David King keeps throwing guys around like he did in the Oklahoma drill. I though McFarland, Peterson, Ndulue, and Ronnell looked pretty darn good too.

Big D Sooner
8/9/2011, 08:11 PM
McGee also

LASooner
8/9/2011, 08:16 PM
I assumed when I read that OU was saying his foot was broken, it probably meant he had his foot amputated. At least that always seems to be the extent of the actual injury.

Al Gore
8/9/2011, 08:16 PM
FSU's offense doesn't really scare me. If our offense can put points up on the board early it forces FSU to put the game in the QB's hands. If the game comes down to QB play then we should win.
EJ Manuel will be running for his life!

tulsaoilerfan
8/9/2011, 08:28 PM
Someone asked but haven't seen it answered but i believe he got hurt during the Oklahoma drill yesterday

hawaii 5-0
8/9/2011, 08:35 PM
A big loss but OU has lots of depth.

Box, then Lewis. I hope that's it.

5-0

OU_Sooners75
8/9/2011, 08:37 PM
Well, at rivals, they are saying it is a broken big toe.

If true, 8 weeks is a very generous timeline.

In high school, I broke my big toe against Sands Springs and was back the following week.

Surely Travis Lewis will be back sooner than 8 weeks.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/9/2011, 11:21 PM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/8/19/whyyyyyyyyy128636708660193081.jpgNo Cheat, Tanya!
It's the injury bitch!

8/9/2011, 11:55 PM
i feel we are a good enough team to even win without him. God bless Travis.

At least he didn't break it the week of a game week. We have time to prepare still.

Get well soon Travis!^^^^^^^^^^^^
There ya go!

SONofa47straitSOONER
8/10/2011, 12:05 AM
Just googled "recovery time of a broken toe." The average was six weeks, but one sports medicine report was for a young athlete in great physical shape, three weeks.

There's some hopeful news.

8/10/2011, 01:17 AM
If the new sociali*ed medicine was already in effect, the kid could be fitted with a bionic toe, and he would assuredly be even faster and stronger.

MojoRisen
8/10/2011, 06:51 AM
How good are Jayden Bird and Daniel Franklin? Can they play all three LB spots?

NormanPride
8/10/2011, 08:55 AM
I've heard Corey Nelson can play all three.

AT ONCE.

Chiliman
8/10/2011, 09:13 AM
Huge loss. We have talented players but Austin Box showed how important experience and knowledge of the defense are in our scheme. Wort, Nelson and two new safeties against FSU on the road?! This is a huge blow. Who's going to call the signals? When Austin returned last year, he did. Travis was going to this year due to Wort's inexperience and the fact we're breaking in new safeties. A couple of blown calls or misalignments could be the difference in games against FSU and Missouri. This has the potential for defensive disaster. Don't kid yourself.

CBUS_SOONER
8/10/2011, 09:15 AM
Well, at rivals, they are saying it is a broken big toe.

If true, 8 weeks is a very generous timeline.

In high school, I broke my big toe against Sands Springs and was back the following week.

Surely Travis Lewis will be back sooner than 8 weeks.

Agree. Like I posted earlier, I played basketball in college and broke my big toe and missed only two practices. Hurt like hell the rest of the year playing on it tho. I am prob a little tougher than tlew so I expect him back by fsu;)

cantwait48
8/10/2011, 09:29 AM
I've heard Corey Nelson can play all three.

AT ONCE.

Lane Johnson can play the whole front seven but we need him as a backup O lineman

thecrimsoncrusader
8/10/2011, 09:41 AM
FSU is so dangerous that 3 of their 4 losses occurred in the second half of last season including giving up 41 points to Virginia Tech in the ACC title game and even their wins in the second half of the season were hardly special.

They are also starting a highly touted QB at the prep level that so far in two years has thrown 6 TDs and 10 INTs. Bomar was better than that as a redshirt freshman behind an atrocious offensive line and a true freshman receiving corps due to Travis Wilson being out due to injury most of the first half of the season.

FSU is getting waaaaaaaay too much respect. It won't be a cakewalk as road games rarely are, but Florida St. is not as special as they are being made out to be and they lost their 3rd reading receiver with 551 receiving yards last season and their 2nd leading TD receiver. Little things like that doesn't help their cause.

I would venture to get that this young Oklahoma team from last season had/has a lot more growth potential from last season to this season than that Florida St. squad.

BoulderSooner79
8/10/2011, 10:20 AM
Seems that all our doctors here agree: Every broken toe injury is the same and 8 weeks is much longer than it really takes to get back on the field. It's almost as if the injury never happened.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/10/2011, 10:35 AM
Seems that all our doctors here agree: Every broken toe injury is the same and 8 weeks is much longer than it really takes to get back on the field. It's almost as if the injury never happened.

Yes, that is correct and consistent with other doctors have stated on other message boards as well. He'll be back for the Ball St. game.

htownsooner7
8/10/2011, 10:44 AM
FSU is so dangerous that 3 of their 4 losses occurred in the second half of last season including giving up 41 points to Virginia Tech in the ACC title game and even their wins in the second half of the season were hardly special.

They are also starting a highly touted QB at the prep level that so far in two years has thrown 6 TDs and 10 INTs. Bomar was better than that as a redshirt freshman behind an atrocious offensive line and a true freshman receiving corps due to Travis Wilson being out due to injury most of the first half of the season.

FSU is getting waaaaaaaay too much respect. It won't be a cakewalk as road games rarely are, but Florida St. is not as special as they are being made out to be and they lost their 3rd reading receiver with 551 receiving yards last season and their 2nd leading TD receiver. Little things like that doesn't help their cause.

I would venture to get that this young Oklahoma team from last season had/has a lot more growth potential from last season to this season than that Florida St. squad.

To add it to this, it's not like FSU's qb is Peyton Manning or even Colt McCoy. Those guys knew the field extremely well and are excellent (Manning in pro and McCoy against us in the RRS), for finding mismatches with linebackers and exploiting. Manuel has a long way to go before I think he can pick us apart like that.

Quik Sand
8/10/2011, 10:48 AM
The beauty here is that FSU is going to look like a great win, but they are not as good as that ranking IMO. If they were ranked around 15 like they should be it would still be a really good win :)

Al Gore
8/10/2011, 10:49 AM
To add it to this, it's not like FSU's qb is Peyton Manning or even Colt McCoy. Those guys knew the field extremely well and are excellent (Manning in pro and McCoy against us in the RRS), for finding mismatches with linebackers and exploiting. Manuel has a long way to go before I think he can pick us apart like that.
Like I said...he will be running for his life....book it!!!!!

cccasooner2
8/10/2011, 10:52 AM
Yes, that is correct and consistent with other doctors have stated on other message boards as well. He'll be back for the Ball St. game.

Message board doctors are the best!!!! :D

LakeRat
8/10/2011, 12:55 PM
When did it go from a broken bone in his foot, to a broken toe? And do we have a link to someone, other than a message board dr., saying it is confirmed as a broken toe?

I have links that say broken bone in his foot. Those are two significantly different injuries.

KantoSooner
8/10/2011, 01:01 PM
don't have a link, but soonersports was calling it a broken toe.

BoulderSooner79
8/10/2011, 01:22 PM
When did it go from a broken bone in his foot, to a broken toe? ...

When some moran decided toes were actually part of the foot.

LakeRat
8/10/2011, 01:52 PM
The article that goes with this thread says it is a broken bone in his left foot.

I apologize for being a maroon, I would think that would not be a toe? Sorry to be the only non medical expert on this board.

The Maestro
8/10/2011, 02:29 PM

For the record, I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, albeit not last night.

anglachel
8/10/2011, 02:53 PM
Toe.

http://newsok.com/ous-travis-lewis-out-8-weeks-with-broken-toe/article/3593003?custom_click=lead_story_title

cccasooner2
8/10/2011, 05:04 PM
I predict P. L. Lindley will catch some eyes and become the an ultimate winner of the Butkis award.

Okie35
8/10/2011, 05:43 PM
We'll be alright. Minor speed bump, I wish Travis a healthy and full recovery. I'm eager to see what the young guys can do.

8/10/2011, 06:01 PM
The article that goes with this thread says it is a broken bone in his left foot.

I apologize for being a maroon, I would think that would not be a toe? Sorry to be the only non medical expert on this board.A maroon Lake Rat...from Tallahassie?

Ruf/Nek7
8/10/2011, 06:07 PM
Its a broken sesamoid bone in his big toe. Bob Stoops himself suffered the same injury in high school, however his was not in his big toe. Based on what I've read, they will re-evaluate after 4-6 weeks to determine if he will be back Sooner or later. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle...G.I. JOE!

jumperstop
8/10/2011, 06:31 PM
Just heard on the news them say both Stoops and Lewis said he will not play FSU.

BoulderSooner79
8/10/2011, 08:00 PM
Just heard on the news them say both Stoops and Lewis said he will not play FSU.

Stoops and Lewis must be behind on reading SF.com or they would know that Lewis will play against FSU. The board has bounced a bit lately, so I suspect that's where the confusion comes from.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/10/2011, 08:15 PM
Incorrect. TLEW will play in the Ball St. game. I think we have a better intel on the situation than Coach Stoops or TLEW since we are on the outside looking in, which means we have a better overhead view of things.

8/10/2011, 08:30 PM
Incorrect. TLEW will play in the Ball St. game. I think we have a better intel on the situation than Coach Stoops or TLEW since we are on the outside looking in, which means we have a better overhead view of things.How far away from the action are we?

btb916
8/10/2011, 08:36 PM
Whatever.

After that comedy of errors in 2009, a broken toe four weeks before the first game, and six weeks before the first of several important games, doesn't concern me. If we could make it through that sh!t without going 5-7, we can make it through this and come out squeaky clean.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/10/2011, 08:44 PM
How far away from the action are we?

One mile with 100% visibility.

8/10/2011, 09:04 PM
One mile with 100% visibility.Then, it's like an ant colony down there, and we don't know diddly-squat.

The Ghost of Mex
8/10/2011, 11:45 PM
Whatever.

After that comedy of errors in 2009, a broken toe four weeks before the first game, and six weeks before the first of several important games, doesn't concern me. If we could make it through that sh!t without going 5-7, we can make it through this and come out squeaky clean.

Yes...I like this attitude. Boomer!

SoonerofAlabama
8/12/2011, 12:06 PM
We should count him lucky, Knile Davis from Arkansas is out for the entire season with an ankle injury.

oudivesherpa
8/12/2011, 07:30 PM
Stoops is very good at not letting his players come back from an injury too quickly---I think it will be atleast 6 weeks. However, if this was the NFL, they would tape it, inject it and he's be back on the field in two weeks.

ashley
8/13/2011, 07:49 PM
The trainers and the doctors decide this, not BS.