PDA

View Full Version : Pass rush

Big D Sooner
8/8/2011, 09:10 PM
One of the things that hurt us at times was the inability to get a pass rush without blitzing. Is the D-line going to be better this year? I hope so, but I am not so sure.

VA Sooner
8/8/2011, 09:32 PM
Have to take into consideration that Adrian Taylor played on a hurt foot after breaking it in the Sun Bowl the year before. He stayed in for the first several games and we were vulnerable up the middle and with Box out from back surgery, the holes were gaping.

I have a lot of respect for Adrian for playing through the pain but having McFarland and McGee shoring up the middle and hopefully Tom Wort with a year's worth of experience will be the difference making.

Otherwise, we're sliding Corey Nelson closer to the middle and making more use of Jefferson in the Nickel.

gaylordfan1
8/8/2011, 09:34 PM
As much as I loved the guy A-Trains play at the beginning of the year hurt our DL production.... He was nowhere near healthy. Now, I don't know what that says about our backups last year... With that being said, I think we will be much improved. J. Mac looks to be improving and having Walker healthy is a plus. If not we can always resort back to the 50.

Curly Bill
8/8/2011, 10:01 PM
Play a 50? With the way peeps sling the ball around these days? :eek:

Big D Sooner
8/8/2011, 10:07 PM
We played a 50 front against OSU. One thin I wonder about is who the strong side hybrid outside linebacker/ d-lineman will be. Last year it was beal. Grissom? Lewis? It has to be someone with some agility.

NormanPride
8/9/2011, 08:36 AM
Grissom looks amazing in the drills. I hope he breaks out this year!

sooneron
8/9/2011, 08:58 AM
I think you're going hear David King's name mentioned quite a bit. The strength of your pass rush is the outside. Yeah, you need to plug the middle or it will get exposed, but that is where most "coverage" sacks come from these days. Getting a sack with 4 or 5 men going straight ahead was rare last season. I would also like to see the "twists" brought back.

NormanPride
8/9/2011, 09:01 AM
Well, having Casey Walker healthy means we have someone to plug the middle a bit more and maybe draw some double teams. That's what frees up your ends.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/9/2011, 01:10 PM
Nothing beats experience and Oklahoma has more of that this season. What difference does experience make?

The two TD passes that Landry made against Oklahoma St. to Hannah and Kenney near the end of the game and the huge 4th and 2 where Landry hit Kenney for an 11 yard gain in the Big 12 Championship game against Nebraska doesn't happen his previous year.

There will be marked improvement in Oklahoma's front seven this season and that is factoring even in Travis Lewis being out. Although I want him back as soon as safely possible obviously.