PDA

View Full Version : Pound on Florida State?

Soonermagik
8/8/2011, 06:49 PM
FSU was surprised by the fast pace attack of the no-huddle. They have been preparing for that ever since last season. What if the offense goes big with TE's, fullback, and RB and just pounds on them?

I mean, they are expecting some kind of quick spread attack. There's nothing worse than having an offense just run over you. Then once they commit to the run and short game you throw to Broyles. I just think this team needs to show the rest of college football that they can march it down your throat at will. Almost all coaches have a goal to play tough D and run at will. I just think it would be a cool thing to see and would show an emphasis on how physical OU can be.

delhalew
8/8/2011, 06:54 PM
If we end up playing Bama or LSU or Wisky, we better have a physical front.

StoopTroup
8/8/2011, 06:56 PM
I'm betting Bob has something special cooking for them. I'm looking forward to this game.

gaylordfan1
8/8/2011, 07:37 PM
That would be nice if executed perfectly and a win is the outcome! If Stoops tries this approach unsuccessfully... OH SH*T. Besides, I don't see us veering too far from what has brought us success in the past. Good game plan though, I do like it.

JLEW1818
8/8/2011, 07:46 PM
Bob wont lose to his brother

BoulderSooner79
8/8/2011, 08:06 PM
I'm a fan of doing what works and not being hard headed about what you would like to have work. But it takes versatility because what works will vary with opponent and even probing a single opponent if the game plan isn't unfolding as expected.

I figure job #1 for FSU is to be ready on D when we snap the ball. Even if they don't have the situational package perfect, they will be more effective than last year if they are just ready and on the same page. That clearly wasn't true last year.

oudavid1
8/8/2011, 09:13 PM
OU mixes it up. Like a lot. Our plan is to be different. From down to down, play to play.

Thats how we roll.

Sooner_Tuf
8/9/2011, 01:19 AM
I have no doubt FSU will better this year than last. The biggest difference will be they will be the one with the big loud crowd this year instead us.

swardboy
8/9/2011, 05:34 AM
I don't care how we stuff it down their throat, as long as we turn Doak Campbell into Croak Campbell Stadium.....

XFollower
8/9/2011, 07:30 AM
We should run it up the middle every play, especially on 3rd and longs. Oh wait, that guy left.

Excited to see Josh's bag tricks.

mightysooner
8/9/2011, 11:43 AM
Lining up and "pounding" on FSU would be playing to our weakness, not our strength. It's not who we are. I'd rather them mix it up with pass/run and gash their defense by keeping them on their heels and guessing.

BetterSoonerThanLater
8/9/2011, 12:24 PM
run up the middle, run up the middle, run up the middle, quick kick.....every possesion. the noles wont know what hit'em!

LakeRat
8/9/2011, 12:44 PM
We should run it up the middle every play, especially on 3rd and longs. Oh wait, that guy left.

Excited to see Josh's bag tricks.

Guess I missed something? Are you talking about the OC for the highest scoring team in college football? Are you talking about the guy who was the OC for the first team in history to score 60 in 5 straight games? Maybe it was 50 in 4 straight games?

I can't remember. Maybe you would like to enlighten me on what actually happened?

cleller
8/9/2011, 02:06 PM
Josh may have some secret offensive plans that involve Ronnell Lewis and his forearm.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/9/2011, 02:10 PM
Guess I missed something? Are you talking about the OC for the highest scoring team in college football? Are you talking about the guy who was the OC for the first team in history to score 60 in 5 straight games? Maybe it was 50 in 4 straight games?

I can't remember. Maybe you would like to enlighten me on what actually happened?

He's talking about the guy that was largely responsible for the 2008 BCS title game loss and the 2010 Missouri and ATM losses because he was the worst goal line play-caller in college football history. He had a great system though, but thankfully it is now in the hands of an offensive coordinator that led the Sooners to the most points they have scored in a bowl game during the Bob Stoops era and won't choke on goal line play-calls.

PalmBeachSooner
8/9/2011, 03:56 PM

We're talking about the hard-headed bastage that tried to pound it up the middle against aTm down at the goal line only to come away with zero points. Not once, not twice but like three times.

goingoneight
8/10/2011, 12:45 PM
Ah, the revisionist theory. Now that he's gone, the best OC of the Stoops era was just holding us back. :rolleyes:

It's funny how we have like four threads right now worrying about how the defense will be without a key playmaker, yet when the offense sputters, it's all the coach's fault.