PDA

View Full Version : Relief at the Gas Pumps

soonerhubs
8/8/2011, 05:45 PM
Is anyone really seeing any? Oil prices dropped almost 20 dollars per barrel, but I see that the local gas stations here have only lowered prices by about 5 cents.

3.44 per gallon, and I'm thinking those running the stations here are thieves.

pphilfran
8/8/2011, 05:47 PM
Prices will drop...

Would you sell the gas in your storage tanks for less than what you paid for it?

soonerhubs
8/8/2011, 05:49 PM
Prices will drop...

Would you sell the gas in your storage tanks for less than what you paid for it?

They sure as hell sell it for higher when news of a hurricane hits. It's a double standard.

pphilfran
8/8/2011, 05:59 PM
The gas stations don't make diddly chit on gas...they get their money when you buy chips and brew...

BudSooner
8/8/2011, 06:02 PM
What I was told by a gas station was that they will not change the price of gas until the next delivery, that they will keep it at its current price until that supply is gone.

Anybody else here this?

badger
8/8/2011, 06:03 PM
Ah gas prices. So easy to say this, so I will: If you don't like what you pay, don't buy it. If you can't avoid buying it, tough. The gas guys know this and that's why oil drops and the gas prices don't.

But yeah, about 5 cents lower from Friday it looks like. I think it was $3.44. I was holding out till the low fuel light came on. :(

pphilfran
8/8/2011, 06:05 PM
What I was told by a gas station was that they will not change the price of gas until the next delivery, that they will keep it at its current price until that supply is gone.

Anybody else here this?

And they should...they have no margin on the product...they lower prices and they are losing money on every sale...

Blue
8/8/2011, 06:09 PM
And they should...they have no margin on the product...they lower prices and they are losing money on every sale...

Tell that to shingle manufacturers too. They never go back down when oil corrects.

Everybodys trying to squeeze water out of a rock.

StoopTroup
8/8/2011, 06:10 PM
They sure as hell sell it for higher when news of a hurricane hits. It's a double standard.

I thought you said hurricane tits....which is a double standard. :D

Sooner5030
8/8/2011, 06:15 PM
we're a free society......if you don't like the gas prices then put your own capital at risk and open your own gas stations. Otherwise......stfu.....you should feel lucky that some many others have risked their own capital to provide you with fuel.

soonercruiser
8/8/2011, 06:17 PM

Anybody else here this?

Actually, what I have seen up the street at the Homeland station is the opposite.
When I see the prices drop 10 cents over night.....I assume they are trying to empty the low tanks.
And, after the new deliverey, it goes back up. They say that the supplier detrrmines thier prices. But, that is not born out by actually watching them.

When I saw the title, "Relief at the Gas Pump", I thought that Vet was not waiting until he got home! :eek:

StoopTroup
8/8/2011, 06:18 PM
we're a free society......if you don't like the gas prices then put your own capital at risk and open your own gas stations. Otherwise......stfu.....you should feel lucky that some many others have risked their own capital to provide you with fuel.

What if I just want to put a few 50 or 100 Gallon Tanks in my backyard?

http://www.usahotads.com/adpics/3n13mb3p95Y15V15Q2aap79e2212c87c11ebe.jpg

pphilfran
8/8/2011, 06:20 PM
What if I just want to put a few 100 Gallon Tanks in my backyard?

That would make you a micro hedger....

Sooner5030
8/8/2011, 06:20 PM
What if I just want to put a few 100 Gallon Tanks in my backyard?

that depends on why you want to put it there......because your purpose will determine how many and which regulations will apply to your situation.

pphilfran
8/8/2011, 06:21 PM
that depends on why you want to put it there......because your purpose will determine how many and which regulations will apply to your situation.

Farm use...definitely farm use....

soonerhubs
8/8/2011, 06:22 PM

In this free societ I get to tell you to **** off, right? I'm merely pointing out some hypocrisy of the business.

pphilfran
8/8/2011, 06:25 PM
In this free societ I get to tell you to **** off, right? I'm merely pointing out some hypocrisy of the business.

Well...you are barking up the wrong tree...

The two biggest contributor to the cost of gasoline?

Price of crude - controlled on world markets
Fed and state gas taxes...

royalfan5
8/8/2011, 06:28 PM
I saw a 20-25 cent swing over the weekend here in Lincoln.

49r
8/8/2011, 06:29 PM
...hurricane tits...

I think this shall be your new nickname...hurricane tits. :D

soonerhubs
8/8/2011, 06:33 PM

I like it!

soonercruiser
8/8/2011, 06:39 PM
Farm use...definitely farm use....

Wrong!
Stoop's been savin' all that corn for something special with a little more "kick".

Boomer.....
8/8/2011, 07:34 PM
Always slow to fall and quick to rise.

delhalew
8/8/2011, 07:38 PM
I saw a 20-25 cent swing over the weekend here in Lincoln.

Diesel has seen a major drop. I haven't been paying attention to unleaded.

royalfan5
8/8/2011, 07:42 PM
Diesel has seen a major drop. I haven't been paying attention to unleaded.

Both have dropped. I'm starting to get guys to cover any harvest needs on diesel, but most already paid for a year's worth in December for taxes.

Jacie
8/8/2011, 07:52 PM

Can hardly wait to see this one crop up in another thread . . .

unbiasedtruth
8/8/2011, 08:22 PM
ya oil at an 8 month low.... what was the price of gas this time last december.... not $3.44

Blue
8/8/2011, 08:30 PM
ya oil at an 8 month low.... what was the price of gas this time last december.... not $3.44

http://snlparty.com/images/adam/cajun.jpg

INFLASHONE?

SoonerDude
8/8/2011, 08:37 PM
$3.15 in OKC

http://www.oklahomacitygasprices.com/

sappstuf
8/8/2011, 08:56 PM
That would make you a micro hedger....

A dirty rotten filthy micro hedger to some...

REDREX
8/8/2011, 09:00 PM
Crude down another $5.00 in after hours----$76.16

pphilfran
8/8/2011, 09:07 PM
Crude down another $5.00 in after hours----$76.16

Peeps be thinking the world's economy is going back into the crapper...plus, I think the dollar strengthened today against everything but the yen and the French franc...

The lower fuel prices will help the economy...

tommieharris91
8/8/2011, 09:11 PM
Peeps be thinking the world's economy is going back into the crapper...plus, I think the dollar strengthened today against everything but the yen and the French franc...

The lower fuel prices will help the economy...

I'm pretty sure France is a member of the eurozone... I'm guessing you mean Switzerland.

pphilfran
8/8/2011, 09:13 PM
I'm pretty sure France is a member of the eurozone... I'm guessing you mean Switzerland.

Yes...brain fart...

Blue
8/8/2011, 09:13 PM
Oil going down too much isn't a good sign though is it?

Soonerfan88
8/8/2011, 09:18 PM
Dropped anywhere from 12-20 cents along I-44 in Missouri.

cccasooner2
8/8/2011, 09:47 PM

[QUOTE=Sooner5030;3313647]that depends on why you want to put it there......because your purpose will determine how many and which regulations will apply to your situation.[QUOTE]

It all depends on what you mean by free society. Sincerely, Bill Clinton

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
8/9/2011, 08:31 AM
Tell that to shingle manufacturers too. They never go back down when oil corrects.

Everybodys trying to squeeze blood out of a rock.

fixed

soonerhubs
8/9/2011, 05:38 PM
I think I've figured it out. I'm experiencing what is known as the Stillwater, OK markup. It happens to everything here including groceries.

Damn you... law of elasticity!

cantwait48
8/9/2011, 05:45 PM
I have always heard they don't make squat on gas, but then there are these little stations that do not have a convenience store associated with them and I wonder if they are just selling it to break even? there is a taxi cab place near where I live that sells gas to the public, I guess they are just doing it for the fun of it.

sheepdogs
8/9/2011, 06:05 PM
I have always heard they don't make squat on gas, but then there are these little stations that do not have a convenience store associated with them and I wonder if they are just selling it to break even? there is a taxi cab place near where I live that sells gas to the public, I guess they are just doing it for the fun of it.

No one is correctly stating they don't make money, but the point is their profit margins are very slim thus they make money through high volume sales much akin to grocery stores.

rekamrettuB
8/9/2011, 06:34 PM
Stations that own their own underground tanks mark up 8-10 cents per gallon. Those that partner w/ distributor mark up 4-5 per and those that lease the tanks mark up about 1-2 cent per gallon. At least that's how it was 5-7 years ago prior to gas prices going crazy. It could have changed but I'm not sure why or how it would have. Gas prices change daily based on the current price to buy weather or not there's gas in their tanks or not. Prices will go up and down depending on that purchase price.

The Profit
8/9/2011, 06:39 PM
Oil going down too much isn't a good sign though is it?

It is a very good sign. I would like to see it stable at $35.00 per barrel.

soonerhubs
8/9/2011, 07:02 PM

I could agree with this if the fed hadn't destroyed the value of the dollar. In this market it means that our economy is in the ****ter.

Soonerfan88
8/9/2011, 07:09 PM
Wow, dropped another 10 cents here today.

soonerhubs
8/9/2011, 08:00 PM
http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

Blue
8/9/2011, 08:13 PM

Actually oil at 35 would mean that there is no demand and that the global economy is done for.

badger
8/10/2011, 07:48 AM
Actually oil at 35 would mean that there is no demand and that the global economy is done for.

It might also mean no OSU athletic village once again :stunned:

WichitaSooner
8/10/2011, 08:38 AM
In Norman at the 7-11 on 12th and Robinson it's $3.18 for regular. That's definitely the cheapest it's been in a while.

badger
8/10/2011, 08:44 AM
Yeah, it took a few days, but gas is tumbling.

EnragedOUfan
8/10/2011, 10:14 AM
Gas stations are always ripping us off....

In Midwest City, you can literally get gas (No Ethanol) 15-20 cents cheaper than any other station in the city at the 7-11 on S.E. 15th St and Key Blvd. Gas could be 3.37, but some stations not even a mile away will charge 3.57. Ripping us off I say...

soonercruiser
8/10/2011, 10:54 AM
I could agree with this if the fed hadn't destroyed the value of the dollar. In this market it means that our economy is in the ****ter.

Yes, and more on this...

'Weak Obama policy devalued US dollar'
http://www.presstv.ir/detail/186076.html

and of all places....
Obama Sidesteps Question About Whether The Fed Is Intentionally Devaluing The Dollar
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/08/obama-sidesteps-question-_n_780197.html

Is the Fed and the Obama administration purposely devaluing US currency?
http://forexrevealednow.com/forex/forex-news-forex/is-the-fed-and-the-obama-administration-purposely-devaluing-us-currency.htm

ouleaf
8/10/2011, 11:22 AM

This reminds me of the time when the Gang solves the Gas Crisis. Has to be a top 5 best episode.

http://images.tvrage.com/screencaps/21/4004/675727.jpg

Bourbon St Sooner
8/10/2011, 12:39 PM
Yes, and more on this...

'Weak Obama policy devalued US dollar'
http://www.presstv.ir/detail/186076.html

and of all places....
Obama Sidesteps Question About Whether The Fed Is Intentionally Devaluing The Dollar
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/08/obama-sidesteps-question-_n_780197.html

Is the Fed and the Obama administration purposely devaluing US currency?
http://forexrevealednow.com/forex/forex-news-forex/is-the-fed-and-the-obama-administration-purposely-devaluing-us-currency.htm

You're really quoting Iranian government news sources?

rekamrettuB
8/10/2011, 12:58 PM
Gas stations are always ripping us off....

In Midwest City, you can literally get gas (No Ethanol) 15-20 cents cheaper than any other station in the city at the 7-11 on S.E. 15th St and Key Blvd. Gas could be 3.37, but some stations not even a mile away will charge 3.57. Ripping us off I say...

Then go down the street.

REDREX
8/10/2011, 01:10 PM
Crude up $3.50 today----MF up 11 cents

tulsaoilerfan
8/10/2011, 08:44 PM

And if you use a credit card most gas stations will lose money on the transaction; also alot of the times the retail price is not based on what they paid for it but what it will cost to replace it when they get their next load; would you sell something for 3 bucks when you know you will be paying 3.10 for your next delivery in 2 days?

soonercruiser
8/10/2011, 08:47 PM
You're really quoting Iranian government news sources?

Yes!
I thought that is was rather interesting that the Huff & Puff Post even agreed on the story.
Will wonders never cease???
:D

btk108
8/10/2011, 09:38 PM
I thought you said hurricane tits....which is a double standard. :D

I'd pay a dollar to see that

soonerhubs
8/26/2011, 03:34 PM
Anyone else notice how "slowly" the price of gas came up as news of the Hurricane hit?

It was like they waited until the next order for gasoline came in... OR NOT!

****ing price gougers! :moody:

OUHOMER
8/26/2011, 04:29 PM
Yep, notice one went from 3.35 back to 3.44 today

Lott's Bandana
8/26/2011, 07:04 PM
Don't forget, holiday weekend coming up too..