PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma Drill

The Maestro
8/8/2011, 03:10 PM
If you have All-Access on soonersports.com you can see all three segments of the famous Oklahoma drill today at practice. This link is to the second video...and has the highlight of the entire scrum from David King in the last part of this video...he clobbered his blocker and slammed the running back. Love this stuff!

http://www.soonersports.com/allaccess/index.html?media=253999

SoonerofAlabama
8/8/2011, 03:17 PM
Great video, thanks for posting. Does anyone know who Trent Ratterree was going against? Because whoever it was, Ratterree handled him easily.

BetterSoonerThanLater
8/8/2011, 03:19 PM
fired up!!!! man i miss playing football!

SoonerofAlabama
8/8/2011, 03:24 PM
Okay, I watched the second one now. Dominique Whaley looked awesome, so did Ronnel Lewis. :)

And so did David King.

MojoRisen
8/8/2011, 03:37 PM
KIng looked like the man!~

NormanPride
8/8/2011, 03:45 PM
I cannot stress enough how much I want Whaley to get a real shot at playing time this year. He's one of the only backs that has really showed anything in the scrimmages.

Calhoun looks like he's beefed up a bunch too. Let's hope these RBs can get it done!

SoonerBK
8/8/2011, 03:51 PM
Did that drill come in with Stoops or does it go back to Switzer? It would be interesting to watch with AD coming through.

KantoSooner
8/8/2011, 03:56 PM
Okay, I watched the second one now. Dominique Whaley looked awesome, so did Ronnel Lewis. :)

And so did David King.

No kidding! Dayam. I'm about to get obcessed with Whaley. He runs so tight and compact without any wasted side to side crap. And he hits the hole fast.

KantoSooner
8/8/2011, 03:56 PM
Did that drill come in with Stoops or does it go back to Switzer? It would be interesting to watch with AD coming through.

As I recall, it was a Wilkinson drill.

NormanPride
8/8/2011, 03:58 PM
The Oklahoma drill is old as dirt. Wasn't it Bud that invented it?

rock on sooner
8/8/2011, 04:24 PM
Yes, the Oklahoma drill is from Bud.

northspeter
8/8/2011, 04:31 PM
always the highlite of 1st day of full pads!!! for every football program in the country, junior high on up...

SoonerofAlabama
8/8/2011, 04:32 PM
No kidding! Dayam. I'm about to get obcessed with Whaley. He runs so tight and compact without any wasted side to side crap. And he hits the hole fast.

In that first video with Whaley, I said "He's down, he's down, he's down...then out of nowhere, he broke the tackle and sprinted downfield. I just became a supporter of the Dominique Whaley is Awesome Campaign.

SoonerofAlabama
8/8/2011, 04:33 PM
And by the looks of it, Ronnell is going to be just fine this season.

StoopTroup
8/8/2011, 04:38 PM
My knee hurts after watching that

BoulderSooner79
8/8/2011, 04:43 PM
I watched the Stoops and BV pressers and was shocked there was no mention of RJ Washington. BV listed King 3rd behind Alexander and R. Lewis as well as a couple of other guys. RJ must have fallen off the radar.

WE ARE dirtburglars
8/8/2011, 04:43 PM
Great video, thanks for posting. Does anyone know who Trent Ratterree was going against? Because whoever it was, Ratterree handled him easily.

He was going against Tom Wort. Pretty impressive.

WE ARE dirtburglars
8/8/2011, 04:51 PM
Those drills get me so pumped up. Nothing better than watching guys go at it 1 on 1 to see what theyve got.

Soonermagik
8/8/2011, 04:51 PM
I watched the Stoops and BV pressers and was shocked there was no mention of RJ Washington. BV listed King 3rd behind Alexander and R. Lewis as well as a couple of other guys. RJ must have fallen off the radar.

I heard it yesterday and noticed the same thing. RJ for some reason hasn't done enough to impress them. I had high hopes for him, but they are fading.

Geneo Grissom (sp) I really think he can help out. The guy looks the part of a freak athlete, but you never know.

SoonerofAlabama
8/8/2011, 05:07 PM
Sorry to go off topic here:

Ok, I was watching a video on there with QBs throwing to Receivers and then I saw a guy I didn't recognize so I looked up his number. I just thought his name was a bit weird, it was Jordan Eagle Road and he is from Oklahoma. Does anyone know who this guy is?

Quik Sand
8/8/2011, 06:03 PM
Corey Nelson number 7? He made a great play as well.

SoonerofAlabama
8/8/2011, 06:04 PM
Corey Nelson number 7? He made a great play as well.

Yeah, he made that change in the spring.

gaylordfan1
8/8/2011, 06:44 PM
Im surprised nobody has mentioned J. McFarland.... He stood out the most to me.

delhalew
8/8/2011, 06:51 PM
Always my favorite practice vid. Thanks, Maestro!

delhalew
8/8/2011, 07:18 PM
I love to watch those over and over again. So close!

gosooner2
8/8/2011, 07:19 PM
He was going against Tom Wort. Pretty impressive.

Look at it again--- nice block but it was not Wort!!

WE ARE dirtburglars
8/8/2011, 07:23 PM
Look at it again--- nice block but it was not Wort!!

Actually it was Tom Wort. The 1:35ish mark in the first video is Tom Wort vs. Trent Ratterree. Trent dominated him.

gosooner2
8/8/2011, 07:24 PM
my bad you are right the first one was Wort

Ruf/Nek7
8/8/2011, 07:46 PM
Someone should post this on all of those Ronnell Lewis threads questioning whether or not he is eligible.

WE ARE dirtburglars
8/8/2011, 07:48 PM
Someone should post this on all of those Ronnell Lewis threads questioning whether or not he is eligible.

Thats what I was thinking, im pretty sure ineligible players arent allowed to practice with the team and he was lighting people up in these videos.

gosooner2
8/8/2011, 07:58 PM
Thats what I was thinking, im pretty sure ineligible players arent allowed to practice with the team and he was lighting people up in these videos.

I think he is only ineligible if he does not complete the courses he just finished with a passing grade. It looks like the coaches think he is going to be fine.

Ruf/Nek7
8/8/2011, 08:20 PM
I feel as though the staff would not even risk it. The way the NCAA is with all of its rules, I would be shocked if they allowed an "ineligible" player to participate in practice.

Ratterree and Dejuan Miller were impressive to me. I love the fact that we have a solid blocking receiver out there. That will make for some exciting bubble screens

PLaw
8/8/2011, 08:32 PM

Uhhh, I think it goes back a little farther than Switzer. The appropriate question would be if it was Wilkinson who started the OKLAHOMA drill or was it before?

I believe Wilkinson invented the drill.

BOOMER

Chiliman
8/8/2011, 08:44 PM
Actually it was Tom Wort. The 1:35ish mark in the first video is Tom Wort vs. Trent Ratterree. Trent dominated him.

Not a good sign.

soonerstan56
8/9/2011, 02:01 AM
Good stuff! The Oklahoma drill is pretty much universal,we even ran it high school in the '70s.
It made me wonder though,has there ever been a texas drill?

Stan

John Kochtoston
8/9/2011, 02:47 AM
Good stuff! The Oklahoma drill is pretty much universal,we even ran it high school in the '70s.
It made me wonder though,has there ever been a texas drill?

Stan

No, but here's where we drilled Texas.

QJQK2Du7fUY

Soonermagik
8/9/2011, 08:13 AM
Not a good sign.

Oh please... not every player is going to win every battle. Tom should have a heck of a season this year. Heck, if I remember right, even AD was stuffed in a few Oklahoma drills.

LVSOONER15
8/9/2011, 09:18 AM
Oh please... not every player is going to win every battle. Tom should have a heck of a season this year. Heck, if I remember right, even AD was stuffed in a few Oklahoma drills.

You got that right. We know what the kid is capable of, I am glad to see all that competition no matter who it was.

NormanPride
8/9/2011, 09:23 AM
AD got routinely stuffed in the OK drills. :D Of course for much of his tenure we had a bad OL.

Peach Fuzz
8/9/2011, 09:38 AM
actually it's not illegal to practice with the team if your are ineligible. I personally have dealt with this, so you really can't say one way or the other at this point.

Position Limit
8/9/2011, 10:09 AM
No, but here's where we drilled Texas.

QJQK2Du7fUY

what a great video. and a perfect song to go with it. SRV's texas flood. love it. and finally a video without some god awful cheesy rap "music". thanks.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/9/2011, 03:18 PM
With Wort's size, the Oklahoma Drill isn't gonna go his way a lot..That's why we need DTs to take on some blockers and let him roam..pretty much that's the whole LB group..

The Maestro
8/9/2011, 03:44 PM
I think a dream Oklahoma drill matchup, even though two defensive players, would be Tommie Harris and Tony Casillas. Marcus Dupree on the carry.

freshchris05
8/9/2011, 04:50 PM
look out for 90.... King is in beast mode.