PDA

View Full Version : Ronnell Lewis ????

Bxbysooner
8/8/2011, 03:06 PM
Anyone have any idea what is going on with his eligibility? I thought this got cleared up like 2 weeks ago but not according to the oklahoman.

http://newsok.com/ou-football-notes-ronnell-lewis-eligibility-up-in-the-air/article/3592510

cvsooner
8/8/2011, 03:19 PM
He apparently had to take summer school to get his grades up, or get some classes in, to keep his eligibility. School finished Friday; he's awaiting grades. Guess we'll see how he did sometime soon.

Bxbysooner
8/8/2011, 03:23 PM
Yea i guess that is the case i just thought i remember seeing on this board that we found out he was eligible. Thats why i was confused. but we will see. that would be a rather large loss!

LakeRat
8/8/2011, 03:29 PM
He is in some of the videos working out with the DE's at practice.

Ruf/Nek7
8/8/2011, 03:34 PM
He is in some of the videos working out with the DE's at practice.

I saw the same thing. The Oklahoman is obviously desperate to fill space

85sooners
8/8/2011, 03:56 PM
:eek:

KantoSooner
8/8/2011, 03:57 PM
I saw the same thing. The Oklahoman is obviously desperate to fill space

Well, they've got a rep to uphold. They are, officially, the worst newspaper in America.

Bxbysooner
8/8/2011, 04:29 PM
Here is what was on this board before.......

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156681&highlight=ronnell+lewis

badger
8/8/2011, 04:35 PM
The latest I heard was a few days ago:

Defensive end Ronnell Lewis said he’s getting close to knowing whether he’ll be academically eligible (summer classwork concluded Friday) but said he’ll keep practicing and going through everything else as though he’s the starter. Lewis was preseason first-team All-Big 12.

Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=231&articleid=20110806_231_0_NORMAN244837&archive=yes)

I really think that he'll be out there, or they wouldn't be wasting starting practice snaps on him now.

BoulderSooner79
8/8/2011, 04:45 PM
I really think that he'll be out there, or they wouldn't be wasting starting practice snaps on him now.

Hope you're right, but I do think they would waste snaps for a few days in hopes that he would play. It at least shows there hasn't been any hint that he won't make it. :O

LVSOONER15
8/8/2011, 05:02 PM
No evidence, but I do have a feeling he will make it. I don't think the coaching staff would waste time on someone they thought would'nt. But I guess we'll see.

ouwasp
8/8/2011, 06:30 PM
Geez.... I coached 7th gr football for many yrs.....this sure brings back irritating memories......constantly checking on the eligibility of the borderline kids, that were often some of the better players.... <sigh> some teachers would work with you, but the English Dept usually liked to drop the hammer...pardon the pun.

Sooner_Tuf
8/9/2011, 01:20 AM
Stoops already said publicly Ronnell was good to go. I would think he would know.

Muno
8/9/2011, 09:14 AM
No evidence, but I do have a feeling he will make it. I don't think the coaching staff would waste time on someone they thought would'nt. But I guess we'll see.

He is running first team. I would think the coaches would be getting the younger guys as many snaps as possible if they thought there was a decent change he would be declared ineligible.

NorthernIowaSooner
8/9/2011, 10:11 AM
Lewis quote: “It's not up to me right now. It's in others' hands."

Dude, it has been in your hands the whole time. If you get good grades you don't have to worry about it.

SoonerNomad
8/9/2011, 10:45 AM

Dude, it has been in your hands the whole time. If you get good grades you don't have to worry about it.

That quote bothered me as well. I have teenage boys and when I hear a quote like that after a test I know they didn't do well. You would think he has some idea of whether or not he passed a class that he just finished. I would hope for a little more confidence than "it's in others hands."

badger
8/9/2011, 11:02 AM
I have teenage boys and when I hear a quote like that after a test I know they didn't do well.

Word. But at the same time, we probably all related to Hermione Grainer in Harry Potter exclaiming how she probably did poorly on every exam, when in fact she aced everything :D

Hopefully this is just Hammer bringing out his inner Hermione.

Tear Down This Wall
8/9/2011, 11:05 AM

Exactly...

...unless someone else took your class and exam! :eek:

jumperstop
8/9/2011, 12:19 PM
Maybe it's more than "pass the class and you're good to go".

LVSOONER15
8/10/2011, 02:22 PM
I am hearing on different sites that he is not gonna be eligible. I know he has been on with the 1st practicing, but anymore info would be great.:)

KantoSooner
8/10/2011, 02:44 PM
Word. But at the same time, we probably all related to Hermione Grainer in Harry Potter exclaiming how she probably did poorly on every exam, when in fact she aced everything :D

Thanks, Badger, for tying Ronnell and Hermione together in my mind. You just ruined some perfectly good fantasy material. Because, believe you me, those are not moments when I want to see Ronnell's face in my mind's eye.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/10/2011, 02:46 PM
It could always be taken care of UT style, but Oklahoma has more honor and integrity than that.

mgsooner
8/10/2011, 02:47 PM
I snuck in to watch Ronnell take his finals and let me tell you his intensity level was off the charts. Impressive.

KantoSooner
8/10/2011, 02:50 PM
You think he 'hammered' it?

badger
8/11/2011, 09:17 AM
You think he 'hammered' it?

Oh yeah. He's like that Hammer Brother in the Mario game that's on the very top platform, then kills you by jumping all of the way to the bottom and you're all like "HE CAN'T DO THAT!" and Hammer Brother's like "Yes I can, I'm a HAMMER, brother!"

Seamus
8/11/2011, 09:30 AM

Badger's a witch! Burn her!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_WMpSC7nK3os/SpMpv2NTUQI/AAAAAAAAD38/g7lqAcWusqs/s400/monty_python_witch-701441.jpg

badger
8/11/2011, 10:31 AM
Badger's a witch! Burn her!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_WMpSC7nK3os/SpMpv2NTUQI/AAAAAAAAD38/g7lqAcWusqs/s400/monty_python_witch-701441.jpg

Curse my crappy turn-you-into-a-newt spell. How DARE you get better afterward! :mad:

oumartin
8/11/2011, 11:08 AM
my source says not gonna be able to play

badger
8/11/2011, 11:18 AM
my source says not gonna be able to play

Oh man... what a letdown. Well, assuming that's the case, he's finished then. Stoops gave him a nickname, gave him starting snaps in preseason and THIS is how he repays him? Forget Stoops' doghouse, he is going to Stoops' storm shelter... the one that doesn't have any fresh air or fresh water :(

NormanPride
8/11/2011, 11:20 AM
Martin's source is his butt, hon.

oumartin
8/11/2011, 11:25 AM
Martin's source is his butt, hon.

thats not entirely correct.

NormanPride
8/11/2011, 11:28 AM
Someone else's butt, then. :D

badger
8/11/2011, 11:32 AM
Well then, let's send him good vibes:
http://teacherweb.craven.k12.nc.us/images/A8417FAC4C754A2C8318D1E789414904.jpg

http://www.framingham.k12.ma.us/images/cameron_images/Honor_roll.jpg

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/50232_2226594081_4410_n.jpg

http://newberrycheer.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/AGreat_Job_clip_art.gif

http://www.channelmassive.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/smarterer.png

http://liveoakhs.ca.campusgrid.net/home/About%20Live%20Oak/Acorn%20Achievements/report_card.jpg

OUVarsityXV
8/11/2011, 04:26 PM
Wtf is the real story. When is it going to come out! I can't take it anymore!!!

LVSOONER15
8/11/2011, 04:43 PM
Its seems that the rumors are true. Hopefully his backup can get it done. Another bump to get over, but can be achieved.

BillyBall
8/11/2011, 04:49 PM
Its seems that the rumors are true. Hopefully his backup can get it done. Another bump to get over, but can be achieved.

Where did you get this from?

Mad Dog Madsen
8/11/2011, 04:53 PM
Calm down everybody, Ronnell will be good to go come September 3rd. I guarantee you. I'll put money on it...

LVSOONER15
8/11/2011, 05:00 PM

I am making my own assumption after viewing multiple sites. No real info just going with people with "sources". I really hope he is eligible. This year has all the makings for bringing home #8.

LVSOONER15
8/11/2011, 05:03 PM

I am making my own assumption after viewing multiple sites. No real info just going with people and their "sources". I really hope he is eligible. This year has all the makings for bringing home #8.

sooneredaco
8/11/2011, 05:18 PM
Oh man... what a letdown. Well, assuming that's the case, he's finished then. Stoops gave him a nickname, gave him starting snaps in preseason and THIS is how he repays him? Forget Stoops' doghouse, he is going to Stoops' storm shelter... the one that doesn't have any fresh air or fresh water :(

I hope he takes his cell phone with him and uses the camera to record the horrible conditions, then posts it on youtube. The James family would be so proud

CBUS_SOONER
8/11/2011, 05:46 PM
WTF!!!!! WHEN R WE GONNA HEAR SH!T!!!! FO REAL

Soonerfan88
8/11/2011, 08:16 PM
Well he was practicing today. Don't you think the coaches would want the back-up to start getting as many reps as possible if they knew Ronnell was going to be ineligible?

Collier11
8/11/2011, 09:15 PM
they were saying on the radio that he MAY be re-doing a paper or project to get a better grade, not verified though

C&CDean
8/11/2011, 09:18 PM
they were saying on the radio that he MAY be re-doing a paper or project to get a better grade, not verified though

Well I MAY be a pron star, not verified though.

Collier11
8/11/2011, 09:22 PM
you shut your hole Dean O

sooner59
8/11/2011, 10:12 PM
Dean's pronstar name rhymes with Harry Potter....but Potter is replaced with a vaginal slang.

OU_Sooners75
8/11/2011, 10:12 PM
Battle of the giant va jay jays!!!

:D

GKeeper316
8/11/2011, 10:28 PM
Geez.... I coached 7th gr football for many yrs.....this sure brings back irritating memories......constantly checking on the eligibility of the borderline kids, that were often some of the better players.... <sigh> some teachers would work with you, but the English Dept usually liked to drop the hammer...pardon the pun.

they are supposed to be STUDENTS first.

the problem with the really athletic kids, according to my dad who has been a teacher for the last 13 years, is that most of them feel entitled to a passing grade because of what they do on the field or the court and are convinced they will all be playing in the nfl or nba making millions, so don't really need to know long division.

KNEE BRACE
8/11/2011, 10:59 PM
college athletes are not "supposed to be athletes first." They're supposed to be money-makers for the university.

Butler goes to two straight national title games in college basketball (which carries about 8 percent of the weight of college football) and admission applications raise 40 percent. The only people concerned about the legitimacy of Ronnell Lewis' grades are one or two teachers. Everyone else wants him on the field, whether they have to write the papers for him or not.

BoulderSooner79
8/12/2011, 08:20 AM
college athletes are not "supposed to be athletes first." They're supposed to be money-makers for the university.

Butler goes to two straight national title games in college basketball (which carries about 8 percent of the weight of college football) and admission applications raise 40 percent. The only people concerned about the legitimacy of Ronnell Lewis' grades are one or two teachers. Everyone else wants him on the field, whether they have to write the papers for him or not.

Me thinks you're projecting. Otherwise:
- Can all money losing sports (most school would be left with none)
- Drop any class requirement, who are we fooling?
- Drop the 4 year limit. That was just an approximation for getting a degree which they are not really doing. Coaches are not limited to 4 years, so why should non-student players be limited? Let them play until they either make the NFL/NBA or get cut because new players are better.

Ta Da! We've invented the minor leagues. Care to guess at attendance?

NormanPride
8/12/2011, 08:50 AM
If it's got the name Oklahoma on the front, then pretty damn good.

BoulderSooner79
8/12/2011, 09:41 AM
If it's got the name Oklahoma on the front, then pretty damn good.

I'd have no interest in an Oklahoma minor league team. The fact that the players are students at OU as I was is the reason I still follow the teams. Otherwise, might as just watch the NFL. These teams are the best college teams in the country, but if the players are not really students, they become 2nd rate pro teams. I don't deny it could just be me, but to keep having stories like Bradford's and G. McCoy's it's worth it to lose a potentially good player if they can't make the bare minimum academic requirements. The NFL needs to provide a development paths for such players as the colleges have no obligation to do it for them.

OUmillenium
8/12/2011, 10:35 AM
Why would the NFL "provide" a minor league system(mulitmillion dollar venture) when one is already in place with the college game? Makes no sense.

The vast majority of players are not high achievers in the classroom despite what the NCAA might instigate, or anyone else for that matter. It's a minority of players that take advantage of the opportunity to get a degree.

Most want to play football/go to NFL, party, and are not real motivated beyond those 2 things. And not talking about OU but nearly everywhere, even at smaller schools - just not as many with NFL aspirations.

It is what it is.

Wanna change it?
1. Jack up the academic standards for every university.
2. No cheesy majors and a major has to be declared before classes begin Freshman year.
3. Must complete 30 hours toward degree per year.

You think the vast majority of HS kids would adapt? NO

badger
8/12/2011, 10:51 AM
Write the paper of a lifetime, Ronnell. Writing is an awesome life skill to have and will great when you're NFL Super Bowl MVP and writing an autobiography on how you won championships in both college and the pros :D

BoulderSooner79
8/12/2011, 11:18 AM
Why would the NFL "provide" a minor league system(mulitmillion dollar venture) when one is already in place with the college game? Makes no sense.

Exactly! The NFL (and NBA) have it cush because the colleges supply their development squads. My only point is that the colleges have their own motivations and are not and should not be obligated to do so. If R. Lewis can't make it in college, but is a pro level talent, then it's the NFL's problem, not OUs. If OU and other school completely abandon the student-athlete concept, it would help the NFL, but I think, would ultimately damage college sports. So even if most players are not focused on school or take the easiest path possible, it is still important to keep the player/school connection and not have them become employees like the professors or janitors. If there are enough big time athletes that can't make it in college, the NFL would do something to get those guys into the system. But the college system is so good for them the way it stands, they are willing to let those guys go as it's not worth the effort and expense.

My only original point was that not *everyone* wants to see R. Lewis back on the field no matter what it takes. I may be a party of one, but I want him to have to qualify academically like every other player and I have no problem with that rule.

The Maestro
8/12/2011, 12:35 PM
I'm learning all about athletes and privilege. My son is a freshman at one of the best high school football schools in Arizona. The top running back in Arizona goes to his school. He is a senior.

He is in my son's 9th grade physical science class.

badger
8/12/2011, 01:13 PM
I'm learning all about athletes and privilege. My son is a freshman at one of the best high school football schools in Arizona. The top running back in Arizona goes to his school. He is a senior.

He is in my son's 9th grade physical science class.

Meh, kids take easy electives their senior year all of the time. The popular ones at my school was available to anyone 9-12, but a lot of 12th graders took it if they hadn't already.

They were classes like an extra year of P.E., typing class, tax preparation, etc.

Big D Sooner
8/12/2011, 04:19 PM
I thought Friday was the day, what happened to that?

VA Sooner
8/12/2011, 09:58 PM
Still waiting for final word....

jmax33
8/13/2011, 05:39 PM
Any word yet?

cccasooner2
8/13/2011, 06:00 PM
Any word yet?

Bird.

jmax33
8/13/2011, 07:23 PM
Bird.

What?

SoonerofAlabama
8/13/2011, 07:29 PM
What?

Bird is the Word

ZThquH5t0ow

jmax33
8/13/2011, 07:33 PM
Got it. You wildcat!

BoulderSooner79
8/13/2011, 07:40 PM
Bird.

beat me to it.

gaylordfan1
8/14/2011, 08:03 PM
I have no source to name, just a friend that has had good information in the past...

Got a text tonight that things aren't looking good. I hear R. Lewis passed his class but may have missed too many classes and his GPA dropped. It's all I've got. Take it for what its worth.

Sooner_Tuf
8/14/2011, 10:07 PM
I have no source to name, just a friend that has had good information in the past...

Got a text tonight that things aren't looking good. I hear R. Lewis passed his class but may have missed too many classes and his GPA dropped. It's all I've got. Take it for what its worth.

I don't know , there doesn't seem to be anything on twitter :/

oumartin
8/14/2011, 10:15 PM
I told ya he didn't qualify and here is the link

www.soonersports.com/mens/football/rlewis

JLEW1818
8/14/2011, 10:31 PM
>?

kbsooner
8/14/2011, 10:41 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/lewis_ronnell00.html

still there

colinreturn
8/14/2011, 11:14 PM
this is killing me

LVSOONER15
8/14/2011, 11:20 PM
This is taking way too long. It makes you wonder if the coaches have a least a little insight of what the situation is looking like.