PDA

View Full Version : Joe Paterno Injured

SoonerofAlabama
8/8/2011, 03:00 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6844675/joe-paterno-shoulder-hip-injured-sideline-collision-penn-state-nittany-lions-practice?campaign=rss&source=ESPNUHeadlines

Penn State coach Joe Paterno suffered injuries to his right shoulder and hip when a receiver ran into him during practice Sunday.

Paterno was "blindsided" by a player running a drill during but "walked away after the collision," according to a statement released Monday by the team.

Paterno sustained at least one hairline fracture, a source told ESPN's Joe Schad.

But the 84-year-old coach was not expected to require surgery, said Dr. Wayne Sebastianelli, Penn State's director of athletic medicine. A team spokesman said he would likely be released by Tuesday afternoon.

Paterno was taking notes when receiver Devon Smith, a 5-foot-7, 157-pound junior, ran into the coach.

Paterno walked off the field at the end of practice but was cornered by physicians who insisted he be examined.

"He's come back from worse," the source told Schad.

Paterno conducted a coaches' meeting Monday morning via speaker phone from Mount Nittany Medical Center, where he was undergoing tests.

"I expect to be back at practice soon. I'm doing fine; tell everyone not to worry about me," Paterno said in a prepared statement. "I like the effort I have seen from the squad during our first few practices, but we have a long way to go to get ready for the schedule we have."

Paterno suffered a hip injury in preseason practice in 2008 while demonstrating an onside kick and underwent hip-replacement surgery after the regular season.

He also suffered a broken leg and a damaged knee ligament in 2006 when a player ran into him during a game at Wisconsin.

The legendary coach said last month at Big Ten media days that his health is strong and he has been exercising regularly throughout the offseason. He's entering his 46th season as Penn State's coach this fall.

Penn State will reschedule its preseason media day, set for Thursday. Paterno had been scheduled to address reporters.

EatLeadCommie
8/8/2011, 03:01 PM
Good thing the guy who ran into him is probably the smallest guy on the team.

BoulderSooner79
8/8/2011, 03:02 PM
Good thing is was a micro-sized receiver!

BetterSoonerThanLater
8/8/2011, 03:04 PM
he's had so many injuries from being run into by players...he either needs to get new glasses, or have someone tell him when he's in the way.

BoulderSooner79
8/8/2011, 03:06 PM
Or better yet, a personal blocker to act as a shield. They could maybe combine the position with the "get back" coach.

Canyonero
8/8/2011, 04:02 PM
He needs something like the Popemobile

tcrb
8/8/2011, 06:09 PM
Joe should retire to his Lazy Boy.

budbarrybob
8/8/2011, 06:27 PM

WINNA!!!!!

GottaHavePride
8/8/2011, 06:33 PM
Or better yet, a personal blocker to act as a shield. They could maybe combine the position with the "get back" coach.

Someone get Terry Tate, Office Linebacker out of retirement. :)

StoopTroup
8/8/2011, 06:47 PM

You made me snort while i was laughing....

+100.....lol

picasso
8/8/2011, 06:48 PM
Good thing it wasn't Demond Parker!

Jacie
8/8/2011, 07:30 PM
Joe should retire to his Lazy Boy.

Wait'll you turn 30 or 40 or whatever. Maybe you'll have a little more respect . . .

tcrb
8/8/2011, 08:23 PM
Wait'll you turn 30 or 40 or whatever. Maybe you'll have a little more respect . . .

Like in two weeks....when I turn 57 ??? I have all the respect in the world for Joepa, but this is his second serious injury in the past couple of years, and at his age, a collision with a 20 year old, 215# battering ram could land him in a wheelchair(or worse) for the rest of his days.

Jacie
8/8/2011, 08:30 PM
I think the man has earned the right to do as he pleases (with the consent of his employer) for as long as he wants.

And you are still younger than me . . .

tcrb
8/9/2011, 07:28 AM
Not sure what my age or yours has to do with it, but yeah, he has the 'right' to stay on. But that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. His stubborn ego is just putting his health at risk, and his employer is liable for his on-the-job injuries and any long term effects they have on his well being. Every year he stays he looks more like a pathetic old fool who just doesn't know when to retire.

Jacie
8/9/2011, 10:43 AM
Not sure what my age or yours has to do with it, but yeah, he has the 'right' to stay on. But that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. His stubborn ego is just putting his health at risk, and his employer is liable for his on-the-job injuries and any long term effects they have on his well being. Every year he stays he looks more like a pathetic old fool who just doesn't know when to retire.

If this was not an attempt at sarcasm then there is so much wrong here I almost don't know where to begin.

His stubborn ego is just putting his health at risk

Anyone who lives long enough puts their health at risk.

his employer is liable for his on-the-job injuries

He is not the first coach to get nailed on the sidelines, it happened to Switzer, and I don't recall any universities having to shut down because they were hit with a mega-million dollar judgement against them as a result.

and any long term effects they have on his well being.

You are absolutely right if he decides to take up snow skiing but can't because he blew out a knee coaching the Nittany Lions.

Every year he stays he looks more like a pathetic old fool who just doesn't know when to retire

I suppose you are focusing on last season, when Penn State went 7-6 including a loss in a bowl game. By that logic, any coach whose team wins less than 60% of their games should retire. You realize Penn State had back-to-back 11-2 seasons in 2008 and 2009, including a trip to the Rose Bowl?

He averages almost 9 wins/season over his career but has fallen to just under 8 wins/season over the last decade so yeah, I guess he has lost some of his mojo.

This isn't the same as the Bobby Bowden situation. His effectiveness at coaching, recruiting and decision-making (appointing his son Jeff as OC and the violations that caused them to vacate wins from 2006 and 2007) were affecting the Seminoles. Paterno continues to field teams that are competitive in the Big 10 and he does it for the bargain price of only a million/year.

Few they are amongst us who can still do their job into their 80's but JoePa is one. He has 45 seasons as a head coach. I am hoping he makes it to 50.

tcrb
8/9/2011, 11:28 AM
There was no sarcasm intended. It's my opinion, and your posting of his declining stats merely emphasizes my point. Some coaches retire with dignity, others try to hang on to the golden years for too long until they do something foolish i.e. Woody Hayes, or are finally put out to pasture at a time not of their own choosing. I think it's just plain sad to see a coach like Joe not be able to go out while he's on top. And I dont think at his age he'll be thinking about hitting the slopes, but every day of the week you can read about someone his age who takes a fall, breaks a hip and spends the rest of their life in a wheel chair or worse....I'd say that's a pretty big impact on quality of life. JMO.

StoopTroup
8/9/2011, 11:39 AM
Sua8VL_4x90

d4mNYim2Pl0&feature=watch_response

SoonerNomad
8/9/2011, 11:46 AM
I thought that fight was great! Was that jacie taking his jacket off and getting a swig of beer before being knocked on his kiester or was that tcrb?

BoulderSooner79
8/9/2011, 11:52 AM
There was no sarcasm intended. It's my opinion, and your posting of his declining stats merely emphasizes my point. Some coaches retire with dignity, others try to hang on to the golden years for too long until they do something foolish i.e. Woody Hayes, or are finally put out to pasture at a time not of their own choosing. I think it's just plain sad to see a coach like Joe not be able to go out while he's on top. And I dont think at his age he'll be thinking about hitting the slopes, but every day of the week you can read about someone his age who takes a fall, breaks a hip and spends the rest of their life in a wheel chair or worse....I'd say that's a pretty big impact on quality of life. JMO.

I'd guess his quality of life *is* his time on the field. I'm just going by seniors I know who stay active at something - they all say it give them purpose. The ones that avoid all risks to protect their fragile bones must find it another way. Not saying it's best for PSU football, but I figure that's between Paterno and the program. But he still fields good teams in a BCS conference, as recently as '09 as pointed out. There is no guarantee the next guy will do better.

kiomanche
8/9/2011, 12:44 PM

Hell yeah!!:pop:

tcrb
8/9/2011, 12:59 PM
I'd guess his quality of life *is* his time on the field. I'm just going by seniors I know who stay active at something - they all say it give them purpose. The ones that avoid all risks to protect their fragile bones must find it another way. Not saying it's best for PSU football, but I figure that's between Paterno and the program. But he still fields good teams in a BCS conference, as recently as '09 as pointed out. There is no guarantee the next guy will do better.

Joe doesn't have to get completely out of cfb. He could take another position within the program and still make a contribution and hence, still feel like he has a purpose. But this is the second time he's gotten nailed.....and it's probably not the last time. Again, JMO.

jumperstop
8/9/2011, 01:01 PM
I agree, should retire. If a dude can run into you and you get hurt that bad you're probably too old. This wouldn't have been news with any other coach.

Chuck Bao
8/9/2011, 01:55 PM

I agree and spek. Head coaching, in my opinion, is more about recruiting and media these days. Since he isn't drawing down a huge salary, PSU can afford to buy the best OC and DC around. I think PSU is still getting its money worth with a legendary football coach. And, tradition is the very thing that I love about college football.

On a side note, everyone always said that my granddad would be dead within 3 years after he could no longer go out and feed his cows, which he did until he was well into his 80s. It was actually a little more than 2 years.

yermom
8/9/2011, 03:30 PM
I agree, should retire. If a dude can run into you and you get hurt that bad you're probably too old. This wouldn't have been news with any other coach.

other than Charlie Weiss?

Jacie
8/9/2011, 03:53 PM
So now in order to be a head coach a guy has to be able to take a hit?

That ought to make the job interviews interesting . . .

BoulderSooner79
8/9/2011, 04:32 PM
other than Charlie Weiss?

Bingo. Weiss was injured much more severely. I guess we need to weigh coaches too or at least measure their shuttle times to see if they can move out of the way quickly.