PDA

View Full Version : Obama speaks

MamaMia
8/8/2011, 12:59 PM
I guess he had to wait for his teleprompter to get loaded. :P

He says he didn't need a a rating agency to tell us that we need a balanced long term approach to deficient reduction. He says he knew that last year and when he took office and as early as last week.

Position Limit
8/8/2011, 01:01 PM
and the market takes another leg lower.

TitoMorelli
8/8/2011, 01:02 PM
cute--

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-PA986_noonan_G_20110804162619.jpg

REDREX
8/8/2011, 01:04 PM
I know I am inspired

sappstuf
8/8/2011, 01:10 PM

He says he didn't need a a rating agency to tell us that we need a balanced long term approach to deficient reduction. He says he knew that last year and when he took office and as early as last week.

I guess that is why he brought forward a budget that increased spending an additional $3 trillion over 10 years that was voted down 97-0 in the senate.

It is CLEAR that he gets it...

MamaMia
8/8/2011, 01:13 PM
and he wants to raise taxes...because as we all know, the politicians need more of our money. They don't have enough of it and we should be ashamed that we aren't writing them a check. All of us average tax payers could get second jobs, or we could work until July to pay our taxes instead of the middle of May. There are so many important things that the politicians have to do for their communities with our money so they can get reelected. Far be it from us to not step up to the plate and pay more.

Position Limit
8/8/2011, 01:17 PM
this whole embarassing mess points out several things we already knew, but puts it on full display. mainly that the obama camp, boehner, reid and all other leaders have little talent when faced with hard decisions with obvious answers. that's lack of leadership all around. and i cant for the life of me figure out how they all can act so suprised by the downgrade and continue to point fingers.

47straight
8/8/2011, 01:20 PM
Senator Coburn's plan, the most serious one I've seen addressing the deficit and actually getting it reduced, includes closing any number of tax breaks. I think it needs more serious discussion in conservative circles.

Position Limit
8/8/2011, 01:23 PM
Senator Coburn's plan, the most serious one I've seen addressing the deficit and actually getting it reduced, includes closing any number of tax breaks. I think it needs more serious discussion in conservative circles.

yep. amazing how it's popularity lasted all of 5 mins.

jk the sooner fan
8/8/2011, 01:23 PM
"ONE TERM PRESIDENT....CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP........ONE TERM PRESIDENT......"

Veritas
8/8/2011, 01:24 PM
"ONE TERM PRESIDENT....CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP........ONE TERM PRESIDENT......"
I hope so, jk, but aside from RPaul and Herman Caine there's not an R candidate that would be much better.

jk the sooner fan
8/8/2011, 01:26 PM
ron paul? ugh - no thanks

i dont care who it is to be honest, we can do it like a speed dating deal - move one in, see how he/she does......dont like them? move on to another

TUSooner
8/8/2011, 01:28 PM

THIS ^^^^^^^^
The GOP's absolute "no tolerance" policy on anything that can be construed as a tax is absolute stupidity.

KantoSooner
8/8/2011, 01:31 PM
And there, Veritas, is the real tragedy. I'm a lifelong R voter and can't see a single candidate on that side of the divide who I think would be one iota better than Obama.

The Dems don't get that the individual, not the collective, is the basis for our society and therefore keep trying to pump big government as the solution to whatever is defined as a problem.

The Repubs can't quite figure out that being conservative means butting out of individual's personal lives and want to grant to organized religion the coercive powers of the government.

It's a disgusting mess.

But then, we've been here before, so this, too, will pass. Not pretty, but not, historically, that big a deal.

soonercruiser
8/8/2011, 01:59 PM
So I guess you guys want Trump to jump back in???
What a freek. :eek:

The only good thing about Trump would be the debate line..."You're Fired"! :D

OUmillenium
8/8/2011, 02:16 PM
Trump would be better than Obama...unfortunately

OhU1
8/8/2011, 02:25 PM
Obama's popularity rating is so low even Jimmy Carter is calling Obama another Jimmy Carter.

OklahomaTuba
8/8/2011, 02:25 PM
The GOP's absolute "no tolerance" policy on anything that can be construed as a tax is absolute stupidity.

We didn't get downgraded for the first time in our nation's history because our taxes are to low.

It's because the donks, who control the government, have bankrupted the country.

OhU1
8/8/2011, 02:26 PM
We need Bachman, Palin, or Perry in the White House. They will pump up the market with prayer and Jesus!

oumartin
8/8/2011, 02:29 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/four_more_years_obama_2012_button-p145178284652733935qd2b_400.jpg

JLEW1818
8/8/2011, 02:30 PM
I'm Obama and i need the thug vote to win, and baby killers votes too.

OklahomaTuba
8/8/2011, 02:30 PM
Obama's popularity rating is so low even Jimmy Carter is calling Obama another Jimmy Carter.Jimmy Carter is a best case scenario at this point.

oumartin
8/8/2011, 02:31 PM
They will pump up the market with prayer and Jesus!

well it couldn't hurt cuz everyone knows.

http://disinfo.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/jesus-hates-obama-240x300.jpg

OklahomaTuba
8/8/2011, 02:32 PM
We need Bachman, Palin, or Perry in the White House. They will pump up the market with prayer and Jesus!Both of which would probably work a helluva lot better than what's being done now.

Sooner24
8/8/2011, 02:34 PM
And there, Veritas, is the real tragedy. I'm a lifelong R voter and can't see a single candidate on that side of the divide who I think would be one iota better than Obama.

The Dems don't get that the individual, not the collective, is the basis for our society and therefore keep trying to pump big government as the solution to whatever is defined as a problem.

The Repubs can't quite figure out that being conservative means butting out of individual's personal lives and want to grant to organized religion the coercive powers of the government.

It's a disgusting mess.

But then, we've been here before, so this, too, will pass. Not pretty, but not, historically, that big a deal.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/1310/obamaofborgol7.jpg

sappstuf
8/8/2011, 03:16 PM
I just wish Obama's handlers would tell him the speech is an hour earlier than what it really is. That is what I have to do to get my wife places on time...

sheepdogs
8/8/2011, 03:23 PM
One of these days "youz" guys are going to finally realize that the Presidency is a figurehead position and nothing more. If a parade was scheduled for a Saturday and the Grand Marshall became ill the previous day would the parade be cancelled? Of course not! This is not 1793, and political leaders, such as the President of the U.S. garner less and less control of how things are and how they appear to be, and it has been this way for a long, long time and will continue as such. Surprise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

StoopTroup
8/8/2011, 03:26 PM
One of these days "youz" guys are going to finally realize that the Presidency is a figurehead position and nothing more. If a parade was scheduled for a Saturday and the Grand Marshall became ill the previous day would the parade be cancelled? Of course not! This is not 1793, and political leaders, such as the President of the U.S. garner less and less control of how things are and how they appear to be, and it has been this way for a long long time and will continue as such. Surprise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No they won't.

SoonerNate
8/8/2011, 07:52 PM
I have been so wrong. Obama is a wonderful president and today's market reaction to his speech has proved this.

How did I not see the economic genius of this man?

I feel so embarrassed.

AlboSooner
8/8/2011, 08:02 PM
The economy is not ruled, shaped, or programmed by the President. I was never in the "everything it Bush's fault" camp, and never in the "Obama will fix everything camp."

The economy in this country is in the hands of the big companies. Bill Clinton gets credit as a president that improved the economy, when in reality it was the boom of the internet and computers that stimulated the economy. If Dell decides to move 100k jobs to China, what can Obama do? NOTHING.

SoonerNate
8/8/2011, 08:05 PM
The economy is not ruled, shaped, or programmed by the President. I was never in the "everything it Bush's fault" camp, and never in the "Obama will fix everything camp."

The economy in this country is in the hands of the big companies. Bill Clinton gets credit as a president that improved the economy, when in reality it was the boom of the internet and computers that stimulated the economy. If Dell decides to move 100k jobs to China, what can Obama do? NOTHING.

If the Yankees players go on a slump the manager gets fired. Why can't we hold the President to the same standard? God knows they claim credit when things go well. It goes with the territory. You can't have one without the other.

He needs to go back to Chicago and this nation needs a leader again.

AlboSooner
8/8/2011, 08:13 PM
Time and nostalgia make many a politician seem great. My guess is that very few leaders were really any good, any many profited from the eras they lived in, as far as notoriety is concerned.

There is nobody who can fix this. You could resurrect Reagan if you wanted, and we'd still be in a mess. This is beyond the powers of the president.

SoonerNate
8/8/2011, 08:15 PM
That's likely true and politics is but a game. But for some reason Bush took hell for everything and this guy gets a pass from the press.

Can you imagine if the markets were doing this under W's administration?

There would be protests in the streets hanging him in effigy.

sappstuf
8/8/2011, 09:13 PM
Ouch..

He was a half hour late. His head turned from side to side as if he were attending a tennis match. He practically never looked in the camera, as if he were averting our gaze. And those were the strong parts of President Obama’s disastrous speech.

He did say one indisputably true thing: The downgrade was more a comment on our political dysfunction than on our ability to repay our debts. That is the dysfunction that he has presided over. That is the paralysis he perpetuated by insisting for months on tax increases. He was describing his own disastrous tenure as president.

This illuminated Obama’s predicament — devoid of ideas, bitter about political opposition and completely in over his head. If the election were held today, I bet he’d lose. By a lot.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/post/obamas-horrifyingly-bad-speech/2011/03/29/gIQAvN7p2I_blog.html

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/8/2011, 09:31 PM
...The Repubs can't quite figure out that being conservative means butting out of individual's personal lives and WANT TO GRANT TO ORGANIZED RELIGION THE COERCIVE POWERS OF THE GOVERNMENT!...

Holy Mooly, no wonder you're down on republicans if you think that. haha

Rowdyroady
8/8/2011, 10:09 PM
The tombstone actually reads:

Here lies Lester Moore
4 slugs from a .44
No Les no more

Get it right

MamaMia
8/8/2011, 11:44 PM
One of these days "youz" guys are going to finally realize that the Presidency is a figurehead position and nothing more. If a parade was scheduled for a Saturday and the Grand Marshall became ill the previous day would the parade be cancelled? Of course not! This is not 1793, and political leaders, such as the President of the U.S. garner less and less control of how things are and how they appear to be, and it has been this way for a long, long time and will continue as such. Surprise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats not true. the president has immense power, including the power to veto. People listen to him and his ideas all the time; agreeing or not. Some of his ides are implemented. He is behind the scenes orchestrating his members of Congress. They draft bills that he wants drafted. They pass bills that he wants passed. He has powerful influence over this country and represents us in other nations. He is the voice for America at the moment and for his party.

SoonerNate
8/8/2011, 11:56 PM
To be fair, what can Obama do himself at this point?

I have a few ideas but I'd like to see a day when the country doesn't blame every single thing on our President. I was sick at how Bush was treated and now the other side is doing it to Obama. It's a cycle that won't stop and honestly it's childish. I don't know when this first started but it isn't healthy. Is it talk radio?

sheepdogs
8/9/2011, 12:25 AM
Thats not true. the president has immense power, including the power to veto. People listen to him and his ideas all the time; agreeing or not. Some of his ides are implemented. He is behind the scenes orchestrating his members of Congress. They draft bills that he wants drafted. They pass bills that he wants passed. He has powerful influence over this country and represents us in other nations. He is the voice for America at the moment and for his party.

Outside of the veto power, everything else you mentioned is done by other members of congress as well whether it involves orchestrating, suggesting opinions, drafting, reading other's speeches, etc.

soonercoop1
8/9/2011, 05:50 AM

He is about as dishonest as they come...

diverdog
8/9/2011, 06:46 AM
and he wants to raise taxes...because as we all know, the politicians need more of our money. They don't have enough of it and we should be ashamed that we aren't writing them a check. All of us average tax payers could get second jobs, or we could work until July to pay our taxes instead of the middle of May. There are so many important things that the politicians have to do for their communities with our money so they can get reelected. Far be it from us to not step up to the plate and pay more.

The average taxpayer pays very little in income taxes. That is a huge part of the problem.

sappstuf
8/9/2011, 06:54 AM
The average taxpayer pays very little in income taxes. That is a huge part of the problem.

I agree, but all Obama mentions is the rich not paying their fair share and corporate jet owners...

It is class warfare 101.

diverdog
8/9/2011, 07:10 AM
I agree, but all Obama mentions is the rich not paying their fair share and corporate jet owners...

It is class warfare 101.

Not when the speaker is a multi millionaire. It is called throwing meat to the base so I can keep making millions in the future.

Btw why isn't classwarfare when the repubs go after the unions?

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
8/9/2011, 07:21 AM
We didn't get downgraded for the first time in our nation's history because our taxes are to low.

It's because the donks, who control the government, have bankrupted the country.

Hey Bubba, since 1980 there has been 10.5 years of a democratic WH as compared to 20 years of a republican WH. Don't pile this manure on the donkeys. The only president who had a surplus budget was Clinton.

Veritas
8/9/2011, 07:32 AM
Hey Bubba, since 1980 there has been 10.5 years of a democratic WH as compared to 20 years of a republican WH. Don't pile this manure on the donkeys. The only president who had a surplus budget was Clinton.
President schmesident. Which party held control during those periods?

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
8/9/2011, 08:17 AM
My point is that you can't blame 1 party for this. It is both of them.

Spend, spend. Entitlements, entitlements. War, war.

Ton Loc
8/9/2011, 08:51 AM
If the Yankees players go on a slump the manager gets fired. Why can't we hold the President to the same standard? God knows they claim credit when things go well. It goes with the territory. You can't have one without the other.

He needs to go back to Chicago and this nation needs a leader again.

If the manger for the Yankees had to wait for 6-700 people to argue, lounge around, make a name for themselves, take more off the table than they add to it, and just be a giant PIA that really only made things harder...

Then sure...

My opinion - these politicians are "members" to one of the two parties only to get into office. Once they get where they want to be, they become one big party of imbeciles only focused on what's keeping them in office or what's getting them paid when they get out.

Greed, Greed, Greed

OhU1
8/9/2011, 08:52 AM
My point is that you can't blame 1 party for this. It is both of them.

Spend, spend. Entitlements, entitlements. War, war.

The Repubs and Dims have all oiled up and rolled around in the same drunken orgy of spending and telling America they are entitled to everything with no pain or sacrifice. The main difference between the two is rhetoric, this enough to appease the fans of each party apparently.

Even our wars are now fought with the expectation that someone else's kids should fight them- a paid mercenary class of soldiers. No sacrifice from the general public Further, during these wars gas should be expected to remain cheap, no domestic luxuries should be given up, and nothing on the home front is any different. Debts and deficits belong to the top 5% in income to pay - the lower 95% "middle class" should not have to sacrifice or pay. In fact, the market fell - where's my free $600 stimulus check?

soonercruiser
8/9/2011, 05:17 PM
The Repubs and Dims have all oiled up and rolled around in the same drunken orgy of spending and telling America they are entitled to everything with no pain or sacrifice. The main difference between the two is rhetoric, this enough to appease the fans of each party apparently.

......- where's my free $600 stimulus check?

Oh, just hold on.
That's all that Obama's staff can think about....spend more to stimulate the economy!
Another wasted $Trillion or so....... NO problem for Obummer! MORON!
:(

REDREX
8/9/2011, 05:29 PM
WSJ article--- http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904140604576495932704234052.html?m od=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop

MamaMia
8/9/2011, 06:53 PM
Outside of the veto power, everything else you mentioned is done by other members of congress as well whether it involves orchestrating, suggesting opinions, drafting, reading other's speeches, etc. Obama and his teleprompter are always center stage.

MamaMia
8/9/2011, 06:56 PM
The average taxpayer pays very little in income taxes. That is a huge part of the problem. I agree. About half, pay NOTHING. Thats a problem.

soonercruiser
8/10/2011, 11:45 AM
It certainly is "Class Welfare"!

You are either "working class"; or, "welfare class".
(pulling the wagon; or in the wagon)