PDA

View Full Version : Mack Brown's last year at *???

Ruf/Nek7
8/8/2011, 12:05 PM
While in the truck today, I was listening to ESPN radio and an interesting topic was brought up. As we all know North Carolina has completely imploded. The thought was brought up that Brown could return to NC as the Athletic Director. I feel like this could be equivalent to all the Stoops to everywhere talks but a little different as this deals with an AD position. Throw in the fact that * is staring down the barrell of a loaded gun again, time could be right.

Thoughts??? (in particular, Herr Scholz)

LakeRat
8/8/2011, 12:12 PM
He may be nudged to take it by the admin at *. He lost control of his program last year. If they don't have an 8 win season, there will be tons of pressure.

oudavid1
8/8/2011, 12:13 PM
He is slated to take over for Dodds at Texas. I think he would take Texas > UNC.

sooneredaco
8/8/2011, 12:17 PM
I sure hope he stays put

WE ARE dirtburglars
8/8/2011, 12:19 PM
Mack Brown at * is the best thing that has happened to OU in a while. I hope he stays for 20 more years.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/8/2011, 12:23 PM
He is slated to take over for Dodds at Texas. I think he would take Texas > UNC.

Dodds isn't going anywhere and I haven't heard talk of him retiring. Dodds probably dies in the position. You know how the Coach in waiting worked out for *, probably the same for AD in waiting...

StoopTroup
8/8/2011, 12:28 PM
Anyone that replaced Smack at UT would think they should get 2-3 million and if they lost to us 3 years in a row...the hire/fire machine of the past would start until they could probably hire Saban or Urban Meyer for 5-10 million a year....lol

It ugly quick down there if they couldn't get past Bob.

badger
8/8/2011, 12:38 PM
I'm not sure what the future of :mack: is at UT, but I imagine that he is clinging to his position at this point, much like Bobby Bowden tried to when he was on his last throes at FSU.

I could see something similar happening to Mack.

1- Extreme disappointment in the fanbase over the culmination of multiple seasons.

Winning the conference in 2009 does not cut it. They see what OU has and continue to do and they want that. They are getting repeatedly upped by a school they feel is their inferior.

2- A large salary to dump.

The absolute wrong economy to have a $5 million annual salary attached to your name, but even if we were all swimming in backyard pools of our own mansions, $5 million is too much to not be winning conference and national titles. Plural. And not with years between 'em.

3- A loss to a rival will be the final nail in the coffin.

It doesn't have to be a major rival, just a conference one. In embarrassing, national television fashion. It will be one where announcers are constantly cutting to the sideline, showing the backups that aren't playing as the starters fail, or the coaches screaming their heads off in frustration, or worse, looking complacent. It will yield many screenshots for Internet message boards and Youtube video clips. It will be epic. It will be Mack's ultimate demise.

4- Then, the ultimatum.

Deloss will present Mack with two options. The first will be to serve as an ambassador coach, where he does no actual coaching but serves as an ambassador. The second option is that his contract is not renewed and ties are severed completely. Mack, like Bowden, will choose neither option and resign, perhaps coaching the bowl game (assuming they make it to one), get carried off on his player's shoulders afterward, and then tearfully leaving UT.

5- The tell-all book.

Why it wasn't his fault that Texas went 5-7. An insta-bestseller that makes him more than his UT salary.

5b- The ESPN gig.

It's inevitable.

BoulderSooner79
8/8/2011, 12:39 PM
I could see it. His reputation as a hands-off, CEO type coach could work in his favor for an AD position. If the horn AD slot isn't there for a long time, UNC might wax nostalgic.

Soonermagik
8/8/2011, 12:41 PM
Mack Brown at * is the best thing that has happened to OU in a while. I hope he stays for 20 more years.

^ This!!!

badger
8/8/2011, 01:03 PM
UT could definitely do worse than Mack, so be careful what you wish for, both UT fans that want him out and Sooner fans that want him to stay.

Remember Mack-ovich? He's the reason why Mack is at UT and the reason Mikey is at Arizona.

Remember Ron Zook? He's the reason Illini mellow in continued mediocrity and Florida got Urbie for two title runs.

Remember Tyrone Willingham? Screwed up both Notre Dame and Washington.

There are big names out there that can fail a lot harder than Mack did in 2010 at UT. If they land Lane Kiffin, for example, he will not only fail, he will fail to do what previous UT coaches do so incredibly well: Disguise the program's cheating.

fwsooner22
8/8/2011, 01:39 PM
It sure looks to me like Mack is as much a fixture in Austin as Bob is in Norman. I just don't see it. There are very few (but for the weather) better places in the country to live and prosper than Austin, Texas. Some of you don't want to hear it but it is an awesome place especially if you can stomach the t-shirts. I'm not saying I would live there but I would for 3 mill

badger
8/8/2011, 01:41 PM
But 22, what if it isn't up to Mack? What if he's forced to leave UT?

JLEW1818
8/8/2011, 01:48 PM
only one thing to say...

5-7

OUmillenium
8/8/2011, 02:02 PM
While in the truck today, I was listening to ESPN radio and an interesting topic was brought up. As we all know North Carolina has completely imploded. The thought was brought up that Brown could return to NC as the Athletic Director. I feel like this could be equivalent to all the Stoops to everywhere talks but a little different as this deals with an AD position. Throw in the fact that * is staring down the barrell of a loaded gun again, time could be right.

Thoughts??? (in particular, Herr Scholz)

This was brought up over a week ago on Sirius college sports radio. Don't give espin any credit. ESPN = fail

fwsooner22
8/8/2011, 02:15 PM
But 22, what if it isn't up to Mack? What if he's forced to leave UT?

Badg....I just don't see it. I am forced to spend time in Austin and I am a radio junkie.....It seems like he is seen the same as Bob in Norman.....would Bob be fired after even two, 5 and 7's I don't think so......maybe I'm wrong and certainly Bob has more skins on the wall but Mack has the most recent "big one". I just don't see the crisis that some of you do.

badger
8/8/2011, 02:22 PM
NormanPride (full disclosure: we're married) had an interesting take on this: Basically, last year was supposed to be their year, with only losing Colt and Jordan and returning a lot of defensive starters.

Now, that defense is gone, they still have Gilbert Grape and no running game, and a lot of turnover on staff, from the ones UT fans loathed (Greg Davis) to the ones UT loved (Boom!).

Could Mack Brown survive back to back disappointment seasons?

EDIT: Remember SI's preseason mag cover?
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/413355/texassicover_medium.jpg

Their defense was supposed to be KILLER. And it might have been, had the offense kept them off the field a bit more, hehe. With Coach Boom and starters departed, what will happen now?

sooneron
8/8/2011, 02:25 PM
Badg....I just don't see it. I am forced to spend time in Austin and I am a radio junkie.....It seems like he is seen the same as Bob in Norman.....would Bob be fired after even two, 5 and 7's I don't think so......maybe I'm wrong and certainly Bob has more skins on the wall but Mack has the most recent "big one". I just don't see the crisis that some of you do.

I think you would see it if they were heading into this Nov with 2-3 losses...

Sooner_Tuf
8/8/2011, 02:35 PM
Mack isn't going anywhere. Mack isn't going to be AD at Texas ever. Mack is a good/bad coach however you see it but he is no way going to be seen as qualified to be AD by the Texas Board of Regents.

badger
8/8/2011, 02:38 PM
Especially if DeLoss isn't looking to leave... is he close to retirement, or does he still enjoy a cushy high paying job involving sports?

fwsooner22
8/8/2011, 02:46 PM
I think you would see it if they were heading into this Nov with 2-3 losses...

Don't get me wrong I will be highly entertained if you guys (and gal) are right. Heck I am highly entertained right now. A decade ago they were laughing at us and thinking it could NEVER happen to them. They won a championship and then tanked just a few years later. They didn't build on it at all. It really is amazing that they are where they are....I just don't think that ship is sinking just yet.

fwsooner22
8/8/2011, 02:48 PM
Deloss always looks angry to me......Like he has some sort of digestion issue.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/8/2011, 04:22 PM
DeLoss Dodds info, 30 years as AD...

Dodds, the men's athletic director, will get a raise of $72,891, upping his base salary to $700,000. Dodds' new contract would run through Aug. 31, 2015, but a provision has been added that, after serving as athletic director, Dodds, 72, could be employed part-time in another capacity at UT through Aug. 31, 2020, with a $100,000 yearly salary and benefits.

Who knew he is a KStater?

Jacie
8/8/2011, 07:46 PM
NormanPride (full disclosure: we're married) had an interesting take on this: Basically, last year was supposed to be their year, with only losing Colt and Jordan and returning a lot of defensive starters.

Now, that defense is gone, they still have Gilbert Grape and no running game, and a lot of turnover on staff, from the ones UT fans loathed (Greg Davis) to the ones UT loved (Boom!).

Could Mack Brown survive back to back disappointment seasons?

EDIT: Remember SI's preseason mag cover?
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/413355/texassicover_medium.jpg

Their defense was supposed to be KILLER. And it might have been, had the offense kept them off the field a bit more, hehe. With Coach Boom and starters departed, what will happen now?

Orange bloods think they have a running game this year in the form of Malcolm Brown. As for last season's defense, it was KILLER, statistically speaking (1st in Big XII in yards/game and passing yards). It was the offense unable to sustain drives or worse, turning the ball over that was mainly responsible for those 7 losses.

And all those new assistant coaches are supposed to be a good thing (we'll see).

ashley
8/8/2011, 07:56 PM
No way. This is silly.

Herr Scholz
8/8/2011, 08:01 PM
No, Mack will stay at UT as long as he wants. There's zero pressure on him. He's not on a hot seat in the least even if we have another clunker season.

As far as what he does later (I'm guessing after 5 more years at least), I would say he's more likely to get a tv gig than an AD job. Dodds will retire before Mack and someone else will fill that role.

delhalew
8/8/2011, 08:04 PM
I'm sure ESPiN would love to have Mack. They deserve each other.

Ruf/Nek7
8/8/2011, 08:06 PM
No, Mack will stay at UT as long as he wants. There's zero pressure on him. He's not on a hot seat in the least even if we have another clunker season.

As far as what he does later (I'm guessing after 5 more years at least), I would say he's more likely to get a tv gig than an AD job. Dodds will retire before Mack and someone else will fill that role.

Why does there have to be pressure to send him off? Can Mack not wake up one day, lets say after losing some low end bowl game and being a below .500 team again, and say "you know what, i think i'm done here"?

Herr Scholz
8/8/2011, 08:15 PM
He'll leave when he's ready. It could be next year. Who knows? He won't be sent packing though. And I wouldn't bet on UT being down for long.

Jacie
8/8/2011, 08:27 PM

I have to agree with these, especially the second one. I don't think Mack has the personality to be an AD (which is a good thing IMO). He only has about half of the traits needed to be an effective AD, who in addition to being a leader and delagater of authority, sometimes has to be an s.o.b. to do what has to be done, and Mack will never be accused of that.

AlboSooner
8/8/2011, 08:32 PM

Mack has brought stability to Texas, and consistency. Also an NC doesn't hurt. Mack Brown is bad for OU, because he is good for Texas. His record, although losing, against Stoops is not as lopsided as it was when Stoops was first hired.

Mack has shown tremendous ability to adapt and try new things, new coaches, new ideas, and that makes his dangerous. He's not Lloyd Carr. I wish he was Carr.

If he left, Texas would reel and hurt for a while, and it would be good for OU if he left and Stoops stayed.

Mack is a better coach than people around here give him credit for. He's won everywhere he's been.

Herr Scholz
8/8/2011, 08:51 PM
Nice post, Albo.

Ruf/Nek7
8/8/2011, 09:21 PM
Mack has brought stability to Texas, and consistency. Also an NC doesn't hurt. Mack Brown is bad for OU, because he is good for Texas. His record, although losing, against Stoops is not as lopsided as it was when Stoops was first hired.

Mack has shown tremendous ability to adapt and try new things, new coaches, new ideas, and that makes his dangerous. He's not Lloyd Carr. I wish he was Carr.

If he left, Texas would reel and hurt for a while, and it would be good for OU if he left and Stoops stayed.

Mack is a better coach than people around here give him credit for. He's won everywhere he's been.

5-7 with the top talent in Texas. Yeah, you're right.

delhalew
8/8/2011, 09:28 PM
Considering the staggering resources, Mack under achieves. This I am thankful for.

TXBOOMER
8/8/2011, 09:38 PM
I want Mack at texass for another 5 years at least.

btb916
8/8/2011, 09:43 PM
It sure looks to me like Mack is as much a fixture in Austin as Bob is in Norman. I just don't see it. There are very few (but for the weather) better places in the country to live and prosper than Austin, Texas. Some of you don't want to hear it but it is an awesome place especially if you can stomach the t-shirts. I'm not saying I would live there but I would for 3 mill

I wouldn't do it for 3 mil. I would for 4 mil though.

BoulderSooner79
8/8/2011, 10:45 PM

I wouldn't do it for 3 mil. I would for 4 mil though.

You're a cheap wh*re.

I'd do it for 5 mil though - that puts me up in the classy wh*re range.

Curly Bill
8/8/2011, 11:20 PM
Considering the staggering resources, Mack under achieves. This I am thankful for.

There ya have it. Sure he's done a good job at Texas, but considering the advantages Texas has he should have done much more. We should hope for him to stay the HC at Texas for ever and ever.

Sooner_Tuf
8/9/2011, 12:53 AM
DeLoss Dodds info, 30 years as AD...

Who knew he is a KStater?

Practically everyone?

Sooner_Tuf
8/9/2011, 01:06 AM

He went 6-5 his first year as a head coach. He went 1-10, 4-7, 6-6 at Tulane, In ten years at North Carolina he won 69 games including two 10 win seasons and two 1 win seasons. In 26 years as a Head Coach he has won two Conference Championships.

He's far from the worst coach that ever lived but he's not close to being great either. But to say he's won everywhere he's been is more than a bit of a stretch.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/9/2011, 09:24 AM
Practically everyone?

Well count me in the list that didn't know. Like I really care about an AD enough to know that.

cjames317
8/9/2011, 10:44 AM
Let's hope sMack sticks around long enough to endure another 5-game losing streak to OU.

ddub0224
8/9/2011, 12:41 PM
How long is Dan Beebe going to stay with Texas?

Sooner_Tuf
8/9/2011, 01:13 PM
Well count me in the list that didn't know. Like I really care about an AD enough to know that.

Dodds turned out to be a great hire but you don't you remember all the whorns being upset that the guy hired to lead the whorn nation was coming in from KSU?

The meltdown was great while it lasted. Until the figured out the guy could get money out of your grandma's piggy bank. He's a tru texan now by god.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/9/2011, 02:48 PM
Dodds turned out to be a great hire but you don't you remember all the whorns being upset that the guy hired to lead the whorn nation was coming in from KSU?

The meltdown was great while it lasted. Until the figured out the guy could get money out of your grandma's piggy bank. He's a tru texan now by god.

30 years or so ago, I was at OU more worried about beer, women and grades. Trying to max all out...:eek:

BudSooner
8/9/2011, 03:54 PM
How long is Dan Beebe going to stay with Texas?
As long as they stuff cash into his pockets.

Herr Scholz
8/9/2011, 04:55 PM
Would you guys have preferred Beebe not working to keep the conference together last year? And he put the kibosh on TLN showing high school games btw.

47straight
8/9/2011, 05:06 PM
Would you guys have preferred Beebe not working to keep the conference together last year? And he put the kibosh on TLN showing high school games btw.

I'd prefer you quit lying about OU players and not come back here.

Herr Scholz
8/9/2011, 05:14 PM
I'd prefer you quit lying about OU players and not come back here.

Still waiting on the lies I supposedly told. And still waiting for you to take my bet on the Scott situation.

47straight
8/9/2011, 05:21 PM
Still waiting on the lies I supposedly told. And still waiting for you to take my bet on the Scott situation.

Here's the lie. When challenged for proof, you had none.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3314659&postcount=76

Herr Scholz
8/9/2011, 05:25 PM
Yeah, OK.

So no bet on the Scott situation? Scared?

47straight
8/9/2011, 05:38 PM
Yeah, OK.

So no bet on the Scott situation? Scared?

Bet what? And I thought you were leaving to go teach some kids how to blame the victim. But you're still on here.

Sooner_Tuf
8/9/2011, 05:42 PM

Just send the guy a check. Mack didn't kick the guy off the team like you have been claiming all over a Sooner Board. I didn't think anyone could make me miss Lid but damn I think you are the dumbest whorn yet.

Herr Scholz
8/9/2011, 10:27 PM
Bet what? And I thought you were leaving to go teach some kids how to blame the victim. But you're still on here.

You said if I was wrong about Scott being gone from the team for good, then I should leave the board. I then asked you if you'd do the same if you were wrong. Crickets.

And we're not the ones who blame girls who have been assaulted and had their lives threatened by a roided up football player. That's you guys in the case of that POS Chaisson.

Herr Scholz
8/9/2011, 10:30 PM
Just send the guy a check. Mack didn't kick the guy off the team like you have been claiming all over a Sooner Board. I didn't think anyone could make me miss Lid but damn I think you are the dumbest whorn yet.

Umm, yeah, Scott is off the team and he won't be back. "Suspended indefinitely" is Mack's code for "long gone". If you don't think so, put your money where your mouth is on the topic. Put up or shut up, tough guy.

Sooner_Tuf
8/10/2011, 12:29 AM
Umm, yeah, Scott is off the team and he won't be back. "Suspended indefinitely" is Mack's code for "long gone". If you don't think so, put your money where your mouth is on the topic. Put up or shut up, tough guy.

Sure thing, when you coming up? I wouldn't miss it for the world.

There is no code. What is this grade school? The guy hasn't been kicked off the team. If he had been I'm sure they would just say it.

Back to this tough thing. Let me know.

Herr Scholz
8/10/2011, 12:32 AM
So, too scared to put your money where your mouth is just like 47. Gotcha. Thanks. And you really are a tough guy. Fantastic. :D

I'll give you the same offer I gave him. If I'm wrong, I'll leave the board. Same goes for you.

Crickets.

47straight
8/10/2011, 10:19 AM
You said if I was wrong about Scott being gone from the team for good, then I should leave the board. I then asked you if you'd do the same if you were wrong. Crickets.

And we're not the ones who blame girls who have been assaulted and had their lives threatened by a roided up football player. That's you guys in the case of that POS Chaisson.

Wrong about what? Point it out. I've asked you to do that many times.

Crickets.

47straight
8/10/2011, 10:20 AM
So, too scared to put your money where your mouth is just like 47. Gotcha. Thanks. And you really are a tough guy. Fantastic. :D

I'll give you the same offer I gave him. If I'm wrong, I'll leave the board. Same goes for you.

Crickets.

Wrong about what, you piece of **** human being? You're the billy innernet badass making, and I quote, "guarentee" 's.

Quote me, piece of ****. Find it and quote me, you pathetic hypocrite.

Crickets.

soonervegas
8/10/2011, 10:24 AM

I would have prefered he be an effective commisioner and soothed over things with Nebraska so we are not left with a embarrassing conference. Instead he stood next to Texas and essentially said, "take it or leave it" just like daddy told him. Once that happened, I wish he was out of a job and we were beginning Pac-16 play in 2012. He's a joke....period.

Herr Scholz
8/10/2011, 12:24 PM
Wrong about what? Point it out. I've asked you to do that many times.

Crickets.

I proposed a bet that you won't take (because you know Scott is gone from our team). Don't know how that's so confusing, 47.

Sooner_Tuf
8/10/2011, 02:21 PM

Crickets.

You'll leave this board when Teas has 3 or 4 losses just like you did last year. I swear you have gotten worse than a poke or an aggie. Talk **** all summer and disappear during the season. I am surprised you haven't had some help leaving but keep it up and I'm sure Dean or Phil will spank your narrow *** out the door.

I could care less about your childish bet. What was the part about money or how tough you are? Those are the parts I am interested in.