PDA

View Full Version : Bama

KantoSooner
8/8/2011, 10:37 AM
Hey Sabanball and others who follow the Tide,
Can you encapsulate the current thinking on what kind of team Alabama will have this year?
<Yes, I could dredge up and read a million articles and form my own opinion, but I'm lazy and also want the opinions of people who've been interested in that program for more than a season or two.>

BoulderSooner79
8/8/2011, 11:40 AM
My feeling as just another OU fan is that Bama will get instant love if the offense shows signs of being effective - especially at the QB position. The media guys would much rather back 'Bama than OU and it's hard to blame them. "Defense wins championships" and "SEC! SEC!". But losing Ingram, J. Jones and an established QB is too much risk to pick them at preseason #1 - and yet they are #2. Same could be said for LSU, to a lesser extent (fortunately, there can be only one). Does reality match that perception? I'd like to hear what Sabanball has to say about that as well.

Sabanball
8/8/2011, 05:21 PM
First, let me say I think you guys are deserving of the preseason no. 1 ranking--and I've thought that since the conclusion of last season. I also think Landry will be a finalist for the Heisman. Mark it down, the Sooners will be in the BCS title game.

As far as my team is concerned, there's a lot of optimism and I DO think we'll be much improved from last season's 10-3 team despite some key losses to the NFL. With Donta Hightower healthy once again finally at jack lb 'qb'ing' our D, and future NFL'ers Mark Barron, Hasean Clinton- Dix, and Dre Kirkpatrick in the secondary, I think we may have assembled the best lb/db combo we've EVER had in Tuscaloosa--and that's saying something. We project to be absolutely sick on that side of the ball. We're a little young on the D-line, but with top rated juco Jesse Williams there taking Marcel Dareus' place, most think we'll be solid there also, where veteran Josh Chapman returns. The qb situation is still unresolved, but as I've said here before, with Saban's system of the qb being basically a game manager that is basically asked not to get you beat with mistakes, that at best will be asked to pass for 230-270yds/game, and a run/pass balance of 50/50, I'm not that concerned because of who we have available--two 5-star qbs in Philip Sims and AJ McKarron, that have BOTH shown promise and great ability. One will eventually separate himself from the other and become the starter, but Saban has said he'll play both until that happens--whenever that is. MY BIGGER concern is available depth at the rb position. Our projected no. 2 rb, Dee Hart, is out for the year with a ACL tear that he sustained in a 7- on- 7 game last month. Then, our no. 3 guy Eddie Lacy had a freak accident in the weight room. Supposedly he's ok now, but we've clearly been snakebit at the position and the timing could not have been worse. Thankfully, we've got some younger guys that are available that are going to get a chance for early playing time, we'll just have to see how they develop. We have the second or third rated O-line in the country, so that should help also.
As long as we get good, solid play at the rb position, and Trent Richardson stays healthy, then I think we are in for a big year and a possible championship season.

Our schedule is tough but more navigatable than last year--We should handle Penn State but if there's a trap game on the schedule, it's the nittany lions in happy valley in front of 106,000 fans. Vandy replaces South Carolina on the schedule and we get LSU and Arkansas at Bryant- Denny. Yes, we play Florida in the swamp, but we've quietly won two in a row and 5 out of the last 7 against the gators(we were 3-2 against Urban Meyer). I think we'll continue to dominate that series.

In conclusion, barring an unforeseen injury, I think we've got a great chance to make a BCS title game run and ultimately I think the outcome of the LSU/Bama game could very well decide your opponent in New Orleans. Let's hope so anyway....:) Nothing would be better or more fitting for college football than an all-crimson BCS title game.:)

StoopTroup
8/8/2011, 05:26 PM
I hear Bama will be really good but not good enough to show up for Iron Bowl Tickets after paying up that nasty warrant for being behind on your child support.

sooneredaco
8/8/2011, 05:34 PM
Great breakdown Sabanball. It would be pretty epic if it were an all crimson game. Plus I'm sure Bobby would love to go back up against Nick again for a little revenge. It would be a game for the ages IMO. Also it would stir the pot even more on the OU to SEC talk. But at end of the day, ad long as OUr boys handle business and we make it, I'll be happy with whoever we play.