PDA

View Full Version : Bricktown 1996

Serge Ibaka
8/7/2011, 06:58 PM
http://twitpic.com/612lm8

Ugly.

C&CDean
8/7/2011, 07:12 PM
I spent a lot of time in Bricktown in the early 90's. There was O'Brien's (the Irish piano bar joint), and then Bricktown Harley's (which became Charley's) came along. It's come a long, LONG way since then.

Frozen Sooner
8/7/2011, 07:26 PM
I hope Birmingham does something like this with its downtown. Of course, the city is about to file bankruptcy, so it's not likely that there's going to be any kind of funds to do it, and the sales tax is already at 9%, so people aren't likely to want to pre-fund it like they did with MAPPS, but it'd be nice.

C&CDean
8/7/2011, 07:30 PM
Froze, dude, I drove through Birmingham twice over this past week. That tornado did a ****ing job. It wasn't near as wide as the Moore tornadoes, but that was some seriously effed up damage. God bless those poor folks.

Frozen Sooner
8/7/2011, 08:01 PM
Shoulda called man. But yeah, you should see what it messed up in Tuscaloosa. **** got pretty bad.

Sooner24
8/8/2011, 11:14 AM
I remember going to the NCAA basketball 1st/2nd round games in 1995 and walking to Spaghetti Warehouse, between sessions, because it was just about the only place to eat within walking distance of the Myriad.

soonervegas
8/8/2011, 11:30 AM
I remember going to the Bricktown haunted warehouse back in the late 80's. I don't know if there was anything else down there back then.....sure didn't seem like it.

Fish&Game
8/8/2011, 11:43 AM
I think I picked up a drunk & disorderly in bricktown...round about 96':P

Sooner24
8/8/2011, 11:49 AM
I remember going to the Bricktown haunted warehouse back in the late 80's. I don't know if there was anything else down there back then.....sure didn't seem like it.

The whole Bricktown area was haunted back then.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/8/2011, 12:40 PM
I dumped a dead hooker body in the old casket company.

Taxman71
8/8/2011, 12:43 PM
Bricktown in 1996...Studio 310 on Saturday nights was pretty good. Also, saw The Lemonheads play an outdoor concert down there around 1993.

As for Bricktown Harley's/Charley's, anyone remember Jim Belushi hanging out one night and having his security guy beat up a few dudes?

Tulsa_Fireman
8/8/2011, 12:46 PM
Yeah. That was me.

sooneron
8/8/2011, 02:31 PM
I saw a good show down there around 91 or 92. We used to hit Pyramid way back in the day. That and SW were the ONLY things down there.

cantwait48
8/8/2011, 02:48 PM
I dumped a dead hooker body in the old casket company."

Yeah. That was me."

you were a dead hooker?

Fish&Game
8/8/2011, 03:01 PM
Bricktown in 1996...Studio 310 on Saturday nights was pretty good. I'm pretty sure that was where we were when I got the D&D....really cleared the bar out that night, from what I understand the place went downhill after that...

soonerbrat
8/8/2011, 03:42 PM
I spent a lot of time in Bricktown in the early 90's. There was O'Brien's (the Irish piano bar joint), and then Bricktown Harley's (which became Charley's) came along. It's come a long, LONG way since then.

spaghetti warehouse was the first thing down there...i worked there when it first opened in i think 1991 or 1990

Taxman71
8/9/2011, 10:53 AM
Bricktown Brewery was packed when the Wake (or Wakeland) would play.

Actually, Chris Sullivan plays solo sets at The Greens on the weekends alot.

hawaii 5-0
8/9/2011, 10:56 AM
There used to be a good haunted house in Bricktown in the early 80's.

5-0

Trump/ Spanky 2012

Viking Kitten
8/9/2011, 11:43 AM
Anyone else remember Kinetix? I believe it was where Bricktown Ballroom is now. I saw shows like Oliver Magnum and LA Guns there back in the days when men were men and had prettier hair than women.

Partial Qualifier
8/9/2011, 03:15 PM
Anyone else remember Kinetix? I believe it was where Bricktown Ballroom is now. I saw shows like Oliver Magnum and LA Guns there back in the days when men were men and had prettier hair than women.

I remember Kinetix and the Pyramid.

I saw LA Guns at that little concert hall in the strip mall over by the dorms.. I'm having a brainblock, can't remember the name of it (or whatever it was called back then)

Viking Kitten
8/9/2011, 03:20 PM
I always wondered if the guys in LA Guns were really bitter about playing strip malls while their old bandmates were off cavorting around with Axl and Slash.

Viking Kitten
8/9/2011, 03:21 PM
But then again, I was listening to LA Guns on "Hair Nation" on XM last week, and thinking Guns and Roses really were a whole lot better than these guys.

Partial Qualifier
8/9/2011, 03:28 PM
that's funny - I've had that same thought, especially after seeing them live and knowing they were not making any money (and G&R was going ballistic). You know they were bitter!

Back then I thought they might be almost as good as G&R but yeah, now it's brutal and clearly G&R had better songwriting, better talent.

But I gotta say, LA Guns at the strip mall was a helluva lot better than watching Axl Rose cough & wheeze his way through an absolutely miserable performance the one time I saw them live. Half the audience was gone 30 minutes into the show (probably didn't help that Metallica opened for them)

Viking Kitten
8/9/2011, 04:29 PM
I guess I won't feel bad I never got the chance to see them live then! :D

Taxman71
8/10/2011, 10:52 AM
I remember Kinetix and the Pyramid.

I saw LA Guns at that little concert hall in the strip mall over by the dorms.. I'm having a brainblock, can't remember the name of it (or whatever it was called back then)

Rome 90 (next to Mr. Bills). Used to be called something else before...The Edge?