PDA

View Full Version : Gundy Talks About Bedlam

SoonerofAlabama
8/7/2011, 01:35 PM
Read The Rest of the Interview Below. :)

This is what I thought was the highlight of the article:

"I think there was a period of time in maybe half of the '80s and the '90s where they may not have considered it a game," says OSU coach Mike Gundy, who as a star quarterback for the Cowboys from 1986 to 1989 went 0-for-4 against their archrivals to the south. "It was OU-OSU, but they didn't really worry about it."

His tone shifts to satisfaction.

"They're concerned with it now," Gundy says. "I can tell you that."

I know we are concerned about all of our games, but he does know that he hasn't beaten us as a head coach or as a player, right?

Flagstaffsooner
8/7/2011, 01:40 PM
Linky dont work but I read that silliness Friday morning.

http://26.media.tumblr.com/LTCeyvBgzpubje1p8bxvDnKKo1_500.jpg

SoonerofAlabama
8/7/2011, 01:48 PM
From USA Today:

Some football rivalries take time to build. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State dived right into theirs — quite literally — more than a century ago.

At one point during their frigid and wind-whipped first meeting in 1904, players splashed into an adjacent creek to chase a backward-blown punt. A soggy OU player finally claimed possession and was rewarded by the rules of the day with a touchdown. The Sooners rolled 75-0.

And they've kept rolling.

If the schools' Bedlam Series now packs all the requisite fervor, color and tradition of one of college football's top rivalries, it has tended to lack one other essential: competitiveness.

Seven-time national champion Oklahoma has won nearly 80% of the games, including the last eight.

"I think there was a period of time in maybe half of the '80s and the '90s where they may not have considered it a game," says OSU coach Mike Gundy, who as a star quarterback for the Cowboys from 1986 to 1989 went 0-for-4 against their archrivals to the south. "It was Bedlam, but they didn't really worry about it."

The Sooners will start this season at No.1 in the USA TODAY Coaches Poll, positioning them for a run at a fifth berth in the Bowl Championship Series' title game in 12 years. But Oklahoma State is in that picture, too. With quarterback Brandon Weeden, Biletnikoff Award-winning wide receiver Justin Blackmon and 14 other offensive and defensive starters back from an 11-win team a year ago, the Cowboys are No.8.

It marks the first time since USA TODAY took over the poll in 1991 that both have been in the preseason top 10.

They will meet in Stillwater on Dec. 3, the final weekend of the regular season, potentially delivering one of the highest-stakes showdowns in the series' history.

This is the new Bedlam. Gundy hasn't beaten OU in six more games as a coach, but his Cowboys twice have piled up more than 40 points and twice finished within a touchdown of the Sooners.

Last year's game was a 47-41 classic. Oklahoma State came in with 10 wins and a higher ranking (No. 9 to Oklahoma's No. 13), and both were chasing a Big 12 division title and a shot at a BCS berth. They punched and counterpunched for 37 points in the final eight minutes, the Cowboys pulling within two on a long kickoff return with 2:51 left. Two plays later, OU finally took control on Landry Jones' 76-yard scoring pass to tight end James Hanna.

"Every goal we'd set for ourselves going in was in front of us, and that's the same goal we have going into this year," Weeden says. "If we can put ourselves in the same situation, take care of business and win the games leading up to it, it'll be a fun night."

The 27-year-old senior, who spent five years in professional baseball before joining the Cowboys in 2007, is well-versed in the rivalry after growing up between the two campuses in Edmond, Okla.

"Since I've lived and followed it, I don't think we've competed on a yearly basis like we are now," he says. "Having this much hype around the two programs is good for the state. Everywhere we go, people are jawing and having fun with it."

Dominance runs deep

In the very best rivalries, that runs both ways.

Alabama has won 40 Iron Bowls vs. Auburn. The Tigers have prevailed in 34, including last year's, en route to a national championship. From Wallace Wade to Shug Jordan to Bear Bryant to Nick Saban, neither side has ever conceded an inch.

Michigan-Ohio State didn't show a lot of early promise. The Wolverines won 19 and tied two of their first 24 meetings. But the two Big Ten heavyweights have been nearly even since: a 40-38-4 advantage to Ohio State, not counting the 2010 victory the Buckeyes vacated as part of their self-imposed penalties for NCAA rules violations.

Bedlam isn't limited to a single sport. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State keep an annual tally in all sports, awarding each winner a cut-crystal trophy.

OSU has traditionally held an edge in men's basketball and golf. In baseball, softball and elsewhere, the two schools have gone back and forth.

But as longtime radio play-by-play man Bob Barry Sr. notes, "The big difference was always football."

OU says it leads the series 82-16-7. Oklahoma State says it's 81-17-7. At issue is a 1972 win that Oklahoma forfeited, sort of, upon the discovery of irregularities in the high school transcript of quarterback Kerry Jackson. Because the NCAA never reversed the victory, the Sooners say they've continued to count it in their records.

It matters little. Ugly is ugly. It was nine years before Oklahoma State scored a point in the series. OU icon Bud Wilkinson coached 17 games against the Cowboys from 1947 to 1963; he won them all, by an average of nearly four touchdowns. Chuck Fairbanks and Barry Switzer went 21-1 from 1967 to 1988.

When Oklahoma State registered its most lopsided win, 47-0 in 1945, the Sooners came back with a 73-12 comeuppance a year later and didn't fall to OSU again until 1965.

"They just clobbered Oklahoma State nearly every year, and fans in the state were attracted to OU. So there was bitterness," says Barry, who called 50 Bedlam games — 32 for the Sooners, 18 for the Cowboys — before retiring at the end of last season. "From the perspective of Oklahoma State, they were sort of the adopted sisters."

Most often, the difference was talent. Sometimes, it was luck. Former Oklahoma offensive coordinator Merv Johnson recalls the 1983 game, played shortly after star OU running back Marcus Dupree famously went home to Mississippi and didn't come back.

Oklahoma State led, but the penalty-plagued Sooners pulled to 20-18 on a long touchdown pass with a few minutes left.

OU plotted an onside kick, then changed its mind and got word to everybody on the field except kicker Tim Lashar. He hit a line drive that bounced off the helmet of an OSU player and back to the Sooners. They moved for a couple of first downs, and Lashar nailed a 46-yard field goal for a 21-20 win.

"It was just one of those Aggie moments," Johnson says, "as far as there was no way they could lose it but they did."

(Oklahoma State was once Oklahoma A&M and, yes, the Cowboys were once known as the Aggies. The university changed names in 1957.)

Gundy knows similar anguish. In a game featuring a 215-yard, two-TD rushing day by teammate Barry Sanders in 1988, he put up a last-play pass that was dropped in the end zone. The Cowboys lost 31-28.

Coach, cash have helped

But the days of playing foil appear behind them. Uber-booster T. Boone Pickens has injected money. That was plowed into facilities, which has helped Oklahoma State attract top-of-the-line talent. Gundy, who finished his playing career as the Big Eight Conference's all-time leader in passing yards and total offense, is proving to be as good a coach as he was a quarterback.

OSU is winning like never before: 11 victories last season, 29 over a three-year stretch, the best in the program's history.

But the climb isn't complete. The Cowboys own one share of a conference title in 53 years in the Big Eight and Big 12; that came in 1976. Oklahoma has accumulated 25 in that time and returns Jones and standout wideout Ryan Broyles among two dozen full- or part-time starters from a team that finished 12-2 and atop the Big 12 in 2010.

Sooners coach Bob Stoops acknowledges the added value of a competitive series. "It always makes it stronger and better," he says, though he's in no hurry to alter a decades-old script. "I'd much rather not have it close."

The Cowboys' Gundy is blunt.

"Ultimately, we need to beat them," he says. "I don't want anybody here to get so concerned with that they can't go out and play the other games. We're going to go to Missouri, to Texas A&M, to Texas Tech. We're going to have our hands full.

"But what I tell our staff and our players is we have to keep them (the Sooners) in our sights. Because to win a championship, it has to go through there."

badger
8/7/2011, 01:55 PM
The highest attended "Gooner game" in Stillwater, according to OSU's own athletic site, was back in 1996.

Blame their season ticket policy now if you must, but that policy wasn't in place until recent years. Where, exactly, were they for the 20 or so years before the season ticket policy?

Absent.

Gundy has no place saying OU fans don't care about the game when his own fans clearly haven't shown up en masse for it season ticket policy or not.

LVSOONER15
8/7/2011, 01:55 PM
I read that to and thought that was dumb remark. The guy is winless against us.

Soonermagik
8/7/2011, 02:03 PM
He's never beaten OU!! Gundy with the help of Pickens has done some nice things for OSU, but they are still winless against OU under "Gumby".

47straight
8/7/2011, 02:07 PM
Moral victories. Being concerned about the OSU game must be a moral victory.

Quik Sand
8/7/2011, 02:08 PM
Hope he continues to say these things.

101sooner
8/7/2011, 02:24 PM
OSU has traditionally held an edge in men's basketball and golf. In baseball, softball and elsewhere, the two schools have gone back and forth.

Fail.

olevetonahill
8/7/2011, 02:29 PM
He aint totally stupid, at least he has the teams in the right order.:D

"I think there was a period of time in maybe half of the '80s and the '90s where they may not have considered it a game," says OSU coach Mike Gundy, who as a star quarterback for the Cowboys from 1986 to 1989 went 0-for-4 against their archrivals to the south. "It was OU-OSU, but they didn't really worry about it."

agoo758
8/7/2011, 02:46 PM
I understand what he means by the games being closer as of late (except for 2009 against a FIVE loss OU :rolleyes: ), but you really need to win a game before you start talking like that.

Flagstaffsooner
8/7/2011, 02:57 PM
I miss Jim Stanley.:D [hairGel]

CowboyMRW
8/7/2011, 02:58 PM
I don't think it's as much a shot at OU, as a confidence booster in OSU saying how much we've upgraded talent.

CowboyMRW
8/7/2011, 02:59 PM
Plus we all know how journalists can take things out of context just to sell more papers

3rdgensooner
8/7/2011, 03:07 PM
Hope he continues to say these things.In a great way...

SoonerofAlabama
8/7/2011, 03:08 PM
I don't think it's as much a shot at OU, as a confidence booster in OSU saying how much we've upgraded talent.

I didn't think of it as a shot at OU, I just thought it was funny since he hasn't beaten us as a head coach or player.

BHB 91
8/7/2011, 03:11 PM
I grew up with Gumby in Midwest City and our mom's went to MWC High School together as well. He has always been arrogant and annoying since he was a little kid, and that kept growing as he went to Monroney, MWC High and OSU.

Some things never change. As a side note, Cale in those days was almost completely different but he was 4 or 5 years younger than me. He hung out with my youngest cousin a lot and I though he was a good kid. I was so happy that Mike chose OSU and Cale chose OU once decision time was here.

It makes even more since now than it did 20 odd years ago. Once an aggy, always an aggy...

EatLeadCommie
8/7/2011, 03:30 PM
good article. I think it captures the essence of suffering of being an Aggie fan pretty well.

Sooner Cal
8/7/2011, 03:35 PM
Talking about OU three months before kickoff just shows how important the game is to the Aggies. Stoops won't discuss it until the week of the game.

NMSooner'80
8/7/2011, 04:10 PM
I always have some concern over that game, because of the Ags' typical one-game season mentality (I give them credit for not playing it that way last season, but otherwise....). That doesn't erase the fact that most of us will never live to see that series even get close.

I also hate it that the writer used the false assumption that OSU basketball has the traditional edge. OU still leads the series by 34 games. And no matter how much the Sutton-loves in the Oklahoma media loved to minimize that, back in the day, it's still a 34-game edge for the good guys.

picasso
8/7/2011, 04:49 PM

It's about time. Scholarship limits are decades old now.

toast
8/7/2011, 04:54 PM
Coach Stoops looked absolutely frightened while browsing the osu media guide before last year's game.

OSUAggie
8/7/2011, 05:10 PM
I always have some concern over that game, because of the Ags' typical one-game season mentality (I give them credit for not playing it that way last season, but otherwise....). That doesn't erase the fact that most of us will never live to see that series even get close.

I also hate it that the writer used the false assumption that OSU basketball has the traditional edge. OU still leads the series by 34 games. And no matter how much the Sutton-loves in the Oklahoma media loved to minimize that, back in the day, it's still a 34-game edge for the good guys.

Ah, the head-to-head is definitely most important.

That's why Texas football is far superior to Oklahoma football.

CowboyMRW
8/7/2011, 05:21 PM
I grew up with Gumby in Midwest City and our mom's went to MWC High School together as well. He has always been arrogant and annoying since he was a little kid, and that kept growing as he went to Monroney, MWC High and OSU.

Some things never change. As a side note, Cale in those days was almost completely different but he was 4 or 5 years younger than me. He hung out with my youngest cousin a lot and I though he was a good kid. I was so happy that Mike chose OSU and Cale chose OU once decision time was here.

It makes even more since now than it did 20 odd years ago. Once an aggy, always an aggy...

Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy might never escape his “I’m a man, I’m 40” YouTube fame. But he is proving correct the old adage that it takes a real man to be a father.
Gundy promised his nine-year-old son Gunnar that if his baseball team reached the national championship round in the USSSA 32 World Series that dad would be there to watch his son play. The Oklahoma Elite and Gunnar Gundy will be playing Saturday in Orlando, Fla., and the Cowboys coach will be there.
However, that means he will miss Saturday’s Fan Day (big deal) and media day (not so big deal).
“The kids have played seven games over the last week to get to this point and I told Gunnar if they got to national championship day, I wouldn’t miss it,” said Gundy, who will miss the Cowboys’ morning practice. “The timing in August would never be good, but being out of town on Saturday is particularly unfortunate.
“Fan Day is one of my favorite days of the year. Like I’ve said before, the worst thing about being a coach is that you never get to see your own kids’ games. This might be a once in a lifetime opportunity and I want to be there for my son.”
The Oklahoma State coach will be gone for about 24 hours. But the time spent watching a child do something important is time a parent can never replace.

That arrogant POS :rolleyes:

Keller Sooner
8/7/2011, 05:22 PM
Very surprising. The summer time team crowing again. :D

Collier11
8/7/2011, 05:23 PM

Diff is that we own ut in conf and natl titles, osu doesnt own OU in anything basketball related. Well, unless you count the titles back when Abe Lincoln was running around the South Lawn :D

olevetonahill
8/7/2011, 05:24 PM

Hell none of My Grand kids Grand kids will live to see that.:rolleyes:

Ignorant ag,Compare apples tp apples not sheep ****, The records OU/saxet=41-59-5 OU/OsU 82-16-7 So if Saxet is in your words 'FAR SUPERIOR" than OU . what does that make OU in relation to yer sheep school?

CowboyMRW
8/7/2011, 05:28 PM
Diff is that we own ut in conf and natl titles, osu doesnt own OU in anything basketball related. Well, unless you count the titles back when Abe Lincoln was running around the South Lawn :D

How about Final 4's, Elite 8's, Sweet 16's, pretty much anything in the postseason, and GIA was named the rowdiest arena in the country. LNC, not su much

Ignorant ag,Compare apples tp apples not sheep ****, The records OU/saxet=41-59-5 OU/OsU 82-16-7 So if Saxet is in your words 'FAR SUPERIOR" than OU . what does that make OU in relation to yer sheep school?

I think he is talking about basketball records for OU/OSU

olevetonahill
8/7/2011, 05:33 PM
How about Final 4's, Elite 8's, Sweet 16's, pretty much anything in the postseason, and GIA was named the rowdiest arena in the country. LNC, not su much

I think he is talking out his ***.;)

Collier11
8/7/2011, 05:41 PM

Final 4s

6-4 Osu

Combined Conf Titles (Regular season and Tourney)

OU 22- 7

NCAA Tourneys

OU 27-24

So, please show me where osu owns ou in basketball? If you want to claim natl titles then fine, otherwise not so much

StoopTroup
8/7/2011, 05:54 PM
Ok oSu owns us in Rowdiness.

BTW....what does that Trophy look like?

picasso
8/7/2011, 06:15 PM
OU basketball dwarfed Poke State for over a decade before Whiskey Eyes returned to Stillwater.

olevetonahill
8/7/2011, 07:12 PM
Ok oSu owns us in Rowdiness.

BTW....what does that Trophy look like?

Here ya go ST :D

http://www.funnyemployeeawards.com/trophies/images-lg/horses-rear-award.jpg

Dio
8/7/2011, 08:30 PM

Why is this sheephumper green?

badger
8/7/2011, 08:33 PM

5-7 :mack:

Also, I know you guys have more Final Fours and nat'l titles than us, but we also have something besides head-to-head on you: conference championships.

You have three regular season and four tournament championships. We have seven conference tourney and 15 (no typo) regular season championships.

Another reason why the UT head-to-head is less important in football is because we dominate our conference in that sport. You guys, alas, may someday be ahead of us in every mens basketball category, but you will never be ahead of Kansas. And lately, you're losing ground to other conference foes too.

SoonerMarkVA
8/7/2011, 08:34 PM
Looks like Gundy's been taking interview lessons from Less Miles.

OUFan22
8/7/2011, 09:29 PM

Please refrain from distracting us from the basis of this thread and OU's general dominance over osu by bringing tu into the mix. Great job! The only sport that osu owns OU in is wrestling. I am a wrestling fan and former wrestler too. Please stop making the rest of us from Claremore look bad!

SoonerDood
8/8/2011, 07:43 AM
I understand what he means by the games being closer as of late (except for 2009 against a FIVE loss OU :rolleyes: ), but you really need to win a game before you start talking like that.

The 27-0 game WAS the closest game in Norman since the greatest day in OSU history.

KantoSooner
8/8/2011, 09:08 AM
I for one am quite happy that OSU football is another reason to be pround of Oklahoma. (As I am happy that Tulsa is doing great things, like beating up on Notre Dame (I loved that game so much last year)).

I am also very happy that we beat them about 95% of the time.

OSUAggie
8/8/2011, 09:31 AM
Final 4s

6-4 Osu

Combined Conf Titles (Regular season and Tourney)

OU 22- 7

NCAA Tourneys

OU 27-24

So, please show me where osu owns ou in basketball? If you want to claim natl titles then fine, otherwise not so much

Final Four
Elite 8
Sweet 16
Tournament Wins
Tournament Win %
National Titles

None of that **** really matters though. Everyone knows the only reason to play basketball is to beat an in-state foe and win your conference.

badger
8/8/2011, 11:04 AM
None of that **** really matters though. Everyone knows the only reason to play basketball is to beat an in-state foe and win your conference.

We're both miserable failures in mens basketball lately. Let's stick with football for the sanity of both of us.

This is not be waiving the white flag, because Lonster will kick Fordster's arse up and down LNC, GIA, or any other arena floor you care to meet at for the next seven years or longer if he is having too much fun doing that.

BUT... we both know that both of our fanbases care more about football now, because it's almost football season, basketball doesn't start till November, and if you're gonna trash talk OU in anything, stick with rasslin'

101sooner
8/8/2011, 11:17 AM

Big difference. Texas built their lead in football prior to WWII.

OU built their lead over OSU in basketball since about 1960.

SoonerofAlabama
8/8/2011, 08:43 PM
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff472/SoonerofAlabama/ryan-broyles-punt-return-o.gif

OU_Sooners75
8/8/2011, 10:58 PM
Ou owns a good lead in basketball, yet in this article, he writes that osu owns ou in that sport.

I wish reporters would do some research before writing articles.

OU_Sooners75
8/8/2011, 11:07 PM
Is it me or is the osu faggies starting to get texas arrogant?

Must suck to be mediocre in sports, then have a few decent seasons, and then start to act like they belong.

When OSU finally beats ou and wins something of substance let me know.

MamaMia
8/8/2011, 11:28 PM
http://soonerstats.com/basketball/men/series/index.cfm

ouwasp
8/9/2011, 12:50 AM
You know, if the OU-osu rivalry were, say, five states or two time zones away and I were an uncaring observer, I might throw the pokes a bemused glance at their new-found spunk.

But having to work with and be around osu fans keep me hoping they have perpetual 0-12 seasons.

but it turned out good they lucked out to beat AnM last yr :D

At least this yr we hear comments about winning "championships" and not just their white-hot desire to beat OU. Wait...what was this thread about?:rolleyes:

OUMonster
8/9/2011, 08:55 AM
Conference teams OU has lost to since the last time OSU beat OU:

Missouri
Texas A&M
Texas
Nebraska
Colorado
Texas Tech
Kansas State

But it's OSU that we're really scared of right? It's they and not any of these other teams who have "turned the corner" and showed how much of a threat they are...

Joe Kidd
8/9/2011, 09:18 AM
if you're gonna trash talk OU in anything, stick with rasslin'

Lots of OSU fans are fairly concerned about the new wrestling staff in Norman. Castiglione knocked that hire out of the park.

BoomerJack
8/10/2011, 12:22 PM
"It was just one of those Aggie moments," Johnson says.

This cracks me up.