PDA

View Full Version : Medical Research Dollars

SCOUT
8/6/2011, 11:15 PM
My Mother is a breast cancer survivor so I appreciate the Susan G Komen foundation as much as anyone. With that said, have we reached the point where we should spread the wealth a little bit?

I say this with some truth but it is mostly out of frustration. I found out today that a 2nd friend of mine will die of colon cancer before his 40th birthday.

Please get checked.

sooner59
8/7/2011, 02:03 AM
It sucks big time. I agree, it seems like we could do something about this. It just takes time. The money is there. More could be thrown at it. But its a tough b1tch to conquer medically. Cancer is one of those things that WILL be beaten someday. We just have to wait until that day. Patience is not a virtue to us who lose loved ones, though.

Soonerfan88
8/7/2011, 10:22 AM
I agree completely. The only reason breast cancer gets so much attention is because it is mainly a woman's issue. Therefore it is a politically correct cause that is easy to support. It has become such an irritation to me that I will intentionally not buy something with a pink ribbon on it.

Unfortunately, I have had several members of my family diagnosed with cancer - none of it breast cancer even though most were women. So far we're running about a 50/50 cure rate simply from early detection and surgery. In thanks for the care they have received, my money is given directly to the American Cancer Society or St. Jude's.

olevetonahill
8/7/2011, 10:40 AM
I agree completely. The only reason breast cancer gets so much attention is because it is mainly a woman's issue. Therefore it is a politically correct cause that is easy to support. It has become such an irritation to me that I will intentionally not buy something with a pink ribbon on it.

Unfortunately, I have had several members of my family diagnosed with cancer - none of it breast cancer even though most were women. So far we're running about a 50/50 cure rate simply from early detection and surgery. In thanks for the care they have received, my money is given directly to the American Cancer Society or St. Jude's.

You're an idiot then.:pop:

47straight
8/7/2011, 01:40 PM
I've wondered why we pump a fair amount of money into women's-health-specific research while on average they live a lot longer than men.

soonercruiser
8/7/2011, 04:04 PM
Nobody really wants to listen to all the research.

Women could cut their risk of breast and cervical cancer by nearly 75% just by not using the pill, or having abortions. And then....Komen gives $$ to Planned Parentless. No conflict there!
:rolleyes:

soonerboomer93
8/7/2011, 04:40 PM
I've wondered why we pump a fair amount of money into women's-health-specific research while on average they live a lot longer than men.

cause boobies are ****ing cool

lexsooner
8/7/2011, 04:40 PM

Much of the reason women live longer than men on average is because they are less likely to get into gunfights, drive 120 mph while drunk, climb on top of a transformer, blow their own brains out, etc. etc. Whites live longer than blacks, so let's yank all the research money spent on cystic fibrosis since only whites suffer from it. ;) Brilliant.