PDA

View Full Version : Brian Wilson: Genius? Smile Sessions being released.

cleller
8/6/2011, 08:02 PM
OK whippersnappers, we are of course talking about the Beach Boys Brian Wilson.
Any closet Beach Boys fans out there need to know that the mythical lost Smile Sessions are being released in a legit issue. The date has been shoved around some, currently sitting at Oct 4, I think. Bootlegs of this have been floating around for 25 years, to the point that some of the mystique has tarnished.
Anyhow, there is a sizeable portion of the music appreciating public that thinks Brian Wilson had something going on in the 1960's and its a shame that LSD and Mike Love sidetracked it.

Just curious to see if the are more Smile nuts out there.

Memtig14
8/6/2011, 08:28 PM
First album we ever got was the Beach Boys.

A Sooner in Texas
8/6/2011, 08:31 PM
I'm happy to know this as I am very much an out-of-the-closet Brian Wilson fan, but this is the football forum. Can you please ask the mods to move this to the South Oval?

Nevertheless, thanks for posting it.

cleller
8/6/2011, 08:43 PM
Geez. What a mistake, thought that's where I was.

My apologies.

Sooner_Tuf
8/6/2011, 09:44 PM
Geez. What a mistake, thought that's where I was.

My apologies.

No biggie, it's the off season.

FYI Don't google Brian Wilson + Out of the Closet. :eek:

colinreturn
8/6/2011, 09:59 PM

ictsooner7
8/6/2011, 10:56 PM
Any closet Beach Boys fans out there need to know that the mythical lost Smile Sessions are being released in a legit issue. The date has been shoved around some, currently sitting at Oct 4, I think. Bootlegs of this have been floating around for 25 years, to the point that some of the mystique has tarnished.
Anyhow, there is a sizeable portion of the music appreciating public that thinks Brian Wilson had something going on in the 1960's and its a shame that LSD and Mike Love sidetracked it.

LSD and Mike Love didn't ruin it, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band did. Brian didn't think he could top it, so he stopped working on it.

Land Run Sports
8/6/2011, 11:08 PM
Unfortunately my name is Brian Wilson, seriously.

tommieharris91
8/7/2011, 12:29 AM
http://thecloserreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/brian_wilson-300x272.jpg

Seamus
8/7/2011, 12:56 AM
Giants pitcher looks like he should be in the Balkans, doing some serious ethnic cleansing ...:eek:

cleller
8/7/2011, 07:11 AM

That guy is going to something bad some day.

cleller
8/7/2011, 07:26 AM
LSD and Mike Love didn't ruin it, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band did. Brian didn't think he could top it, so he stopped working on it.

Oh Yeah?? Well, the Beatles and 4 guys plus George Martin to make their records, Brian did all the Beach Boys stuff by himself. Plus he had his crazy, abusive dad to deal with.;)

I'm not actually a complete Mike Love hater like most of Brian's disciples. At the time, I imagine he sounded pretty sane when he wanted to stick with the old formula, while Brian was wearing a fireman's hat and recording crazy musical snippets all the time.
But, geniuses are always tottering on the edge.

sooneron
8/8/2011, 10:23 AM
I'd be down for giving it a listen.

StoopTroup
8/8/2011, 10:34 AM

Actually the guy is pretty laid back and I think he only takes his personal life and when he's on the mound seriously. The rest of it is him just having fun. Albeit it's his own personal way of fun but that's why he's able to make himself and the Giants interesting to watch.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/8/2011, 12:35 PM
Brian Wilson is a wart on the ballsack of music.

lexsooner
8/8/2011, 12:50 PM

He's immensely talented and also nutty as a loon. He was in Lexington last week doing a solo performance and they interviewed him and all they could get out of him was "Yep," or "Nope, or "Yeah." The dude lay in bed for an entire year when he was depressed back in the 1960s. He looks heavily medicated today. When they finally finished Smile a few years ago, I saw a documentary about it and while his singers were rehearsing, Wilson sat in the corner looking like a basket case, totally unable to function. His wife or gf said he was having major anxiety about whether he could get the recordings done. I will say that I have heard his studio tapes from the Beach Boys days and he was the creative genius behind their best sounds. Too bad he is mental health wreck.