PDA

View Full Version : any of you smart on gun optics?

jk the sooner fan
8/5/2011, 03:00 PM
anybody here familiar with the Burris Eliminator?

http://www.burrisoptics.com/laserscope.html

C&CDean
8/5/2011, 03:34 PM
No. I do have a Burris scope on a .22-250 and it is damned accurate though. I've got several Leupolds of varying quality, and I like the Burris the best. It's got the little line segments North and South of center on your cross hairs to help you with long shots. I've shot several coyotes and a couple foxes with it from fairly long range. I think the furthest coyote was about 450 yards, and I can plunk them very consistently at 300.

jk the sooner fan
8/5/2011, 03:36 PM
did you look at the link - to see what this thing does? it's a range finder within a scope that allows you to factor in bullet drop - depending on what round you're firing (manufacturer/caliber/etc).....i've got a leopould on my Kimber 8400

i just wonder if this Burris is suitable for mounting on an AR

StoopTroup
8/5/2011, 03:52 PM
A scope on an AR is like having a scope on a shotgun.

C&CDean
8/5/2011, 03:55 PM
Looks expensive. I wanna say I payed ~$450 for the one I have. I don't know if it's worth it on an AR, but it'd be hella sweet on a .300 Winmag for elk hunting.

jk the sooner fan
8/5/2011, 04:06 PM
A scope on an AR is like having a scope on a shotgun.

really?

well thats a new twist....

jk the sooner fan
8/5/2011, 04:07 PM
Looks expensive. I wanna say I payed ~$450 for the one I have. I don't know if it's worth it on an AR, but it'd be hella sweet on a .300 Winmag for elk hunting.

.300 winmag is what i took to southern colorado last october on my first elk hunt.....lot of good it did me! :)

StoopTroup
8/5/2011, 04:10 PM
really?

well thats a new twist....

You mean putting expensive optics on rifles not known for their accuracy?

jk the sooner fan
8/5/2011, 04:13 PM
You mean putting expensive optics on rifles not known for their accuracy?

i'm just going to put my fingers in my ears and stomp my feet - and pretend like you arent making noises that sound like you dont know what you're talking about

C&CDean
8/5/2011, 04:15 PM
.300 winmag is what i took to southern colorado last october on my first elk hunt.....lot of good it did me! :)

Go for muzzleloader. It's the only thing I've done up there for the past 10-11 years now. All the bulls/cows/mulies I've taken in Colorado are with the powder gun. The season is much earlier (it's warmer) there's a lot less hunters about, and the elk are usually in (or closer to) the rut.

The other thing I like about Colorado muzzleloader is that they do not allow scopes, sabots, or pelletized powder. Iron sights, belted bullets or balls, and loose black powder. It's a ton of fun.

StoopTroup
8/5/2011, 04:15 PM
i'm just going to put my fingers in my ears and stomp my feet - and pretend like you arent making noises that sound like you dont know what you're talking about

You mean how the AR-15 has a longer effective range and a better made barrel?

StoopTroup
8/5/2011, 04:16 PM
Do you even know if you have a real AK?

C&CDean
8/5/2011, 04:17 PM
I think he said AR...??

jk the sooner fan
8/5/2011, 04:18 PM
Go for muzzleloader. It's the only thing I've done up there for the past 10-11 years now. All the bulls/cows/mulies I've taken in Colorado are with the powder gun. The season is much earlier (it's warmer) there's a lot less hunters about, and the elk are usually in (or closer to) the rut.

The other thing I like about Colorado muzzleloader is that they do not allow scopes, sabots, or pelletized powder. Iron sights, belted bullets or balls, and loose black powder. It's a ton of fun.

i have tags for 3 whitetails in Nebraska - first rifle in November and muzzleloader (2) in december...on my brother in laws lease

yeah by the time we got to our hunting grounds west of Antonito - the bow and muzzleloaders had saturated the area - and then on top of that, the whole week we were out there, we had a full moon - so the elk were grazing at night and bedding down during the day - wayyyy up high

had a great time though - went with 5 others

jk the sooner fan
8/5/2011, 04:18 PM
Do you even know if you have a real AK?

i said AR and i have several rifles

whats your point?

jk the sooner fan
8/5/2011, 04:21 PM
most AR's i've seen are using the aimpoint pro and trijicon red dot magnifiers...i have a new AR coming in a couple of weeks - and saw the Burris - i dont have a rifle to mount it on but after reading the reviews, it seems pretty high speed - but i agree - i think it would be better suited for a longer barreled rifle - bolt action, etc

StoopTroup
8/5/2011, 04:25 PM
I think he said AR...??

I have an appointment for new glasses next week....lol

I swear it must be getting bad. My bad.

StoopTroup
8/5/2011, 04:27 PM
i said AR and i have several rifles

whats your point?

Just talking about guns and you turn ******* as soon as I post. That's all. Same **** different day. I miss read your post is all.

jk the sooner fan
8/5/2011, 04:38 PM
look at your first response

Sooner_Tuf
8/5/2011, 04:54 PM
I haven't seen the scope you are talking about. But gimmicks for the most part are gimmicks. If you absolutely are unable to judge distances it might help some. You still have to dope for the wind.

I think stuff like this is cool for the range. Not so much for when you are hunting. I hear stories of deer being shot at ridiculous ranges all the time.

Most deer are probably shot closer than eighty yards. Certainly 90% less than two hundred yards.

To me it makes more sense to buy a good Leupold fixed power scope and spend the extra money on ammunition and learn to shoot the combination you will be carrying.

As to the AR question, I guess it would depend on the AR itself. Is it a battle weapon or one that has been all tricked out to be a tack driver. What caliber it is in. If it is a 223 I don't think I would worry much about a range finder. It's effective range in Oklahoma winds is close enough most shooters can judge the range close enough. But yes some AR's could take advantage of good optics.

Burris makes good products for the most part from what I have seen. I still think Leupold, depending on the line you chose from, makes the best optics.
You can spend many times more and still not get as durable a scope as a Leupold. I have seen some multi-thousand dollar scopes that do have brighter optics but I haven't seen one that I think offers and real advantage to spend the extra money.

Take my advice for what it is worth. I don't like variable power scopes only fixed. So I don't care for doo-dads on my rifles.

StoopTroup
8/5/2011, 04:58 PM
look at your first response

I'm on my Laptop now instead of my IPhone.

Yeah my eyes playing tricks on me. My right eye is giving me fits lately so I'm hoping my eye exam goes well next week. I can only wear my old glasses 15-20 minutes at a time. It's why you haven't seen me on here much.

cccasooner2
8/5/2011, 05:07 PM
I have an appointment for new glasses next week....lol

I swear I must be getting bald. My bad.

I need glasses too, I thought you said bad.

jk the sooner fan
8/5/2011, 05:10 PM
I haven't seen the scope you are talking about. But gimmicks for the most part are gimmicks. If you absolutely are unable to judge distances it might help some. You still have to dope for the wind.

I think stuff like this is cool for the range. Not so much for when you are hunting. I hear stories of deer being shot at ridiculous ranges all the time.

Most deer are probably shot closer than eighty yards. Certainly 90% less than two hundred yards.

To me it makes more sense to buy a good Leupold fixed power scope and spend the extra money on ammunition and learn to shoot the combination you will be carrying.

As to the AR question, I guess it would depend on the AR itself. Is it a battle weapon or one that has been all tricked out to be a tack driver. What caliber it is in. If it is a 223 I don't think I would worry much about a range finder. It's effective range in Oklahoma winds is close enough most shooters can judge the range close enough. But yes some AR's could take advantage of good optics.

Burris makes good products for the most part from what I have seen. I still think Leupold, depending on the line you chose from, makes the best optics.
You can spend many times more and still not get as durable a scope as a Leupold. I have seen some multi-thousand dollar scopes that do have brighter optics but I haven't seen one that I think offers and real advantage to spend the extra money.

Take my advice for what it is worth. I don't like variable power scopes only fixed. So I don't care for doo-dads on my rifles.

good stuff, thanks.

Breadburner
8/5/2011, 05:24 PM
Leupold....Their customer service is the best in the industry.....

StoopTroup
8/5/2011, 05:33 PM
Still....don't use good money putting a scope on a AK.....and if you are bald....spend some dough on a Prescription Minoxidil, unless your Wife is totally down with it.

OutlandTrophy
8/5/2011, 05:44 PM
Still....don't use good money putting a scope on a AK.....and if you are bald....spend some dough on a Prescription Minoxidil, unless your Wife is totally down with it.

you seem to be a big fan of Prescriptions

StoopTroup
8/5/2011, 05:50 PM
you seem to be a big fan of Prescriptions

Prescription Minoxidil is a lot stronger than the over-the counter stuff so if you need to grow the hair on your balls back...you know what to use.

OutlandTrophy
8/5/2011, 08:46 PM
why do you think my balls don't have hair on them and why would a person not groom their balls?

TIA!!! LOLz!!!!!

StoopTroup
8/5/2011, 08:54 PM
The old saying...."You ain't got a hair on yer ***" probably applies to yer balls too.

StoopTroup
8/5/2011, 09:26 PM
Wife just bought me some new cheaters until I can see the Eye Guy. Man what a difference! Even all my backups are so bad I can hardly wear them for 20 minutes without getting vertigo.

These are much much better. I can tell my AK from my AR now.