PDA

View Full Version : Is This An Unusual Way to Run Practice?

MsProudSooner
8/5/2011, 10:17 AM
From Mack Brown's press conference on Thursday:

In the morning the older guys as such, will go out and practice for an hour-and-a-half. The young ones will be there to watch, and then tomorrow afternoon we will do just the opposite.The older ones will come and watch the young ones practice, and the young ones will be watched by the coaches. We have felt like this is pretty much an orientation where in the first three days the young ones get to watch the older ones practice, and you do move some guys up and change them. We are talking about the possibility because of the heat of maybe flipping it some, and having the younger guys go in the morning, because it’s a little cooler, and you have a better chance when you’re out in the morning than if you were out in a 4-6pm practice. The quarterbacks will alternate between those two practices. All four of them will get to work with the older ones as well as the younger ones.

SoonerBK
8/5/2011, 10:24 AM
I hope they use the 'zact same rountine they did 1 year ago.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/5/2011, 10:27 AM
Maybe they will tackle at some point and perhaps lift weights...;)

MsProudSooner
8/5/2011, 10:37 AM
Maybe they will tackle at some point and perhaps lift weights...;)

Running might be good. Running is very innovative and new wave. It should be very appealing in Austin.

Partial Qualifier
8/5/2011, 10:39 AM

In the morning the older guys as such, will go out and practice for an hour-and-a-half. The young ones will be there to watch, and then tomorrow afternoon we will do just the opposite.The older ones will come and watch the young ones practice, and the young ones will be watched by the coaches. We have felt like this is pretty much an orientation where in the first three days the young ones get to watch the older ones practice, and you do move some guys up and change them. We are talking about the possibility because of the heat of maybe flipping it some, and having the younger guys go in the morning, because it’s a little cooler, and you have a better chance when you’re out in the morning than if you were out in a 4-6pm practice. The quarterbacks will alternate between those two practices. All four of them will get to work with the older ones as well as the younger ones.

you're not the only one who thinks that sounds a little effed up. Can you imagine Stoops describing practices as such? Me neither.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/5/2011, 10:55 AM
It makes sense to me. Obviously, based on last year's results, they need the freshman to come in and check our their practices and tell them how they are doing it wrong.

badger
8/5/2011, 11:10 AM
A few years ago texags was posting pics of shermanator running water balloon fights and players trying to get one leg over a hurdles in a row and it was labeled a waste of practice time by many.

Let's see how this plays out. I mean, at the time the Aggies appeared to be wasting practice time, but now they're Cotton Bowl champions... oh wait :rcmad:

fadada1
8/5/2011, 12:10 PM
well, i just think that's a dandy way to build team unity.

cccasooner2
8/5/2011, 12:19 PM

They left out the following Mack quote trying to sound like Bob but not quite succeeding. "All our guys were watching in a great way, but, at the end of the day, we've got nothing."

ATX Sooner
8/5/2011, 12:25 PM
Sounds like Mack has the old ones and young ones covered, but what about the middle aged ones?

Flagstaffsooner
8/5/2011, 12:33 PM
Silly, silly whorns.

47straight
8/5/2011, 01:27 PM
As long as they don't start watching film, lifting weights, or unfreeze the depth chart, we're ok.

Eielson
8/5/2011, 02:05 PM
They're not in pads yet, so I don't think it will be a problem.

Soonerntxs
8/5/2011, 02:15 PM
Ok Boys u can come in at 6 Mon, Wed, Thur. @ 4 on Tue, Fri. & @ 5 on Sat.
Now, if Mon falls on an odd # day you MUST come in @ 3 because the Men will be here at 6 and you may only stand between the 10 & 40 yrd line on the S side of the field. (ANY QUESTIONS?)

OhU1
8/5/2011, 02:18 PM
Do they have the "no hiting hard" rule in effect?

stoopified
8/5/2011, 02:36 PM
It makes sense to me. Obviously, based on last year's results, they need the freshman to come in and check our their practices and tell them how they are doing it wrong.:D

badger
8/5/2011, 02:58 PM
Tricky wording by Mack. Remember how he had everyone introduce themselves and say it was their first day at Texas?

Everyone's a freshman now, even the coaches. So who will the upperclassmen watch? The Toy Story 3 movie that nobody stayed after the Spring Game for, hehe :D

:mad: I pay way too much attention to our rivals. :mad:

rekamrettuB
8/5/2011, 03:43 PM
I got a headache just reading that junk. Talking circles and I can't help but hear his whiney voice.

vtsooner21
8/5/2011, 03:50 PM
Now let's all join hands and sing a fun little ditty as we circle the campfire. Afterward, s'mores will be made and we'll all (old and young) tell stories of how we will fight, fight, fight against the big bad men across the Red River..

Boomer

fadada1
8/5/2011, 06:21 PM
So I read through that again... seriously, that might be the dumbest thing I have ever read related to college football. I can't believe a Division 1 football coach would a) actually conduct a practice like this; and b) actually say something like this to someone who may put it in print.

That's not "locker room material" for rival players; that's "post in your office material" for rival coaches to laugh at.

fadada1
8/5/2011, 06:23 PM
And I read it again.

The genius behind it is that it has absolutely no chance of working.

Sooner_Tuf
8/5/2011, 08:34 PM
"Well here at Texas we take good kids from good homes, by good kids I mean four and five star kids and we coach them to a 5-7 season. Because at the University of Texas winning isn't everything, my salary and me getting all the credit is everything. They don't call it Mack Brown's Texas Football for nothing. It's five million a year."

Soonermagik
8/5/2011, 08:47 PM
I hope he never leaves as head coach.

LASooner
8/5/2011, 08:54 PM
Here's footage of the older ones watching the younger ones

http://youtu.be/vo4kDrWBa6c?t=47s

StoopTroup
8/5/2011, 09:01 PM
I'd lock em all in a shed.

sooneredaco
8/5/2011, 09:20 PM