PDA

View Full Version : Eligibility updates for three incoming freshman.

Always_Sooner
8/5/2011, 07:22 AM
Sooners start with a dance

Anonymous The Norman Transcript The Norman Transcript Fri Aug 05, 2011, 05:12 AM CDT

NORMAN — After OU’s players stretched, practice began with a Haka dance led by freshman offensive lineman Nila Kasitati. Haka, a traditional dance of the South Pacific and New Zealand, was something different for the Sooners.

Stoops said a player is usually called out to do some sort of dance before practice begins. The coach was impressed by the freshman, but the rest of the team still needs some work on the dance.

“Well, Nila, I give him a 10 or an 11,” Stoops said. “The rest of the guys are about a four. They don’t know what they’re doing. All I know is I heard a few of them say it’s going to take a while for them to learn it. We’ll have to have Nila give everybody a little education on it.”

Still waiting on three freshmen

The only absences from Thursday’s practice were three freshmen. Defensive tackles Jordan Phillips and Jordan Wade and wide receiver Trey Metoyer are all still trying to become eligible.

Phillips is in Norman and has been taking summer school classes to become eligible. The summer semester doesn’t end until today.

Metoyer has been taking classes at Tyler (Texas) Junior College. He isn’t expected to arrive in Norman for at least another week.

Wade must still pass the Texas Assessment of Knowledge Skills test in order to receive his high school diploma and become eligible to enroll at OU.

“You guys all know we have a couple of defensive linemen still working on classes to finish up,” Stoops said. “We anticipate that happening here pretty soon — and a receiver still finishing up some classes. That will probably be determined here in another few days, I guess.”

Dodging the heat

Thursday’s practice began at 6:45 a.m. to avoid the heat and because most of OU’s players are still attending summer school classes.

Starting early did provide cooler temperatures to practice in. The temperature was still below 90 degrees when practice ended around 9:30 a.m. The high temperature in Norman Thursday was 109.

“I thought it was great. It was a great move going early,” Stoops said. “It couldn’t have been better out and we didn’t have one issue whatsoever of any problems.”

No test needed

The first preseason practice usually includes conditioning tests players have to pass in order to practice. Those tests were canceled Thursday for good behavior. Strength and conditioning coach Jerry Schmidt told Stoops they were unnecessary.

“Coach Schmidt felt that, in his opinion, the way they handled their summer, we didn’t need to do a conditioning test,” Stoops said.

John Shinn 366-3536 [email protected]

Ruf/Nek7
8/5/2011, 09:10 AM
Phillips does take his final today and we should know in a matter of days whether or not clearinghouse grants him eligibility.

Go ahead and count Wade out for this fall. If you fail the TAKS the two times in tthe Spring, you enroll in summer school that specifically gets you ready for the test. You are then given one more shot at passing it. Not sure how it works from here but sounds like he may need an accomodated or even modified exam

yankee
8/5/2011, 09:28 AM
Good Lord, still has to pass the.......TAKS test? Eesh...

Sooner74
8/5/2011, 10:07 AM
Taks really? I think my 5 year old sister can pass that joke of a test. How in the world did he get good enough grades for the SAT?

NormanPride
8/5/2011, 10:13 AM
Some people are terrible test takers, but that is troubling. I think when we took it our last time (When it was still the TAAS I think) we had about 10 people that didn't miss a single question in our class alone.

Don't give up! Just make it here and you'll have all the help you need to get a great education and prepare you for the future!

fwsooner22
8/5/2011, 10:32 AM
Have you all seen that TAKS test. It really is a joke. Most 7th graders could pass it.

NormanPride
8/5/2011, 10:52 AM
They have levels for each grade that takes it. I think they're all easy, but I knew some of my friends had a hard time because they were bad test takers.

Ruf/Nek7
8/5/2011, 10:56 AM
I am sorry but I have to disagree with these comments shooting down the TAKS test. I am a middle school teacher and it is not as easy as it seems. TAAS was what I took in school and that was easy. TAKS uses more critical thinking skills in which there are multiple right answers but one is the best. Math involves more word problems, that can be rather lengthy and tricky.

Sure, we all think its a breeze but Wade is not us unfortunately. Also, you are required to pass all tests: Social Studies, Science, And the obvious ELA and Math.
Here is a link that has past tests. Keep in mind, much younger people are taking these tests. Click on the "Exit Level Exams" as that is what Wade is having trouble with.

http://www.tea.state.tx.us/student.assessment/taks/released-tests/

Also, there are exemptions to the exit level TAKS. Certain scores on the SAT or ACT will overrule the TAKS test but he would still be required to pass the Science and Social Studies.

Ruf/Nek7
8/5/2011, 11:10 AM
Too add: It wont be any easier starting next year when the state begins STAAR testing. It will consist of end of course exams requiring students to recall material from years past. It is accumulative so in the student's 4 years of high school, they will be required to have an average of 70% or better to pass.

Widescreen
8/5/2011, 11:35 AM
Since so many schools here in Texas spend a huge amount of time teaching specifically for the TAKS, it's distressing that anyone would fail. They're not going to get the same level if hand-holding in college.

SoonerMom2
8/5/2011, 11:59 AM
Some kids freeze up when they have to take these tests. That's a fact that some people miss. If you are weak in a subject, it can be a real problem. Would never say any of the standardized tests are so easy anyone can pass. When your career hanging on passage, you are not relaxed.

IMHO too much time is spent on getting kids ready for these stupid standardized tests and not enough on learning the subject as a whole. Whoever came up with the idea standardized tests was the end all be all is an idiot. But then I never understood why math scores had to be higher than reading comprehension either to get into college. Reading is the basis of most subjects and most kids don't go into anything math related. They take their three credit hours and are finished.

BetterSoonerThanLater
8/5/2011, 12:18 PM
cant be that tough...in the math section, they provide the formulas for equations...when i was in hgh school i had to memorize them.

MamaMia
8/5/2011, 12:18 PM
I for one, can hardly wait to see the pre game Haka dance. :D

cccasooner2
8/5/2011, 12:25 PM
cant be that tough...in the math section, they provide the formulas for equations...when i was in hgh school i had to memorize them.

In my day, we had to derive them. :D

OUTrumpet
8/5/2011, 12:30 PM
Have you all seen that TAKS test. It really is a joke. Most 7th graders could pass it.

The TAKS test (at least the math section) is 8th grade geometry/statistics and algebra 1. A 9th grader theoretically should be able to get a perfect score on this stupid test. Especially with a passing score being a 60%, and each additional time you take it, the required percentage DROPS, so for you to pass the summer after your senior year, you technically only need a 50% to pass to still make a 2100.

90% of formulas are provided. English has a dictionary/thesuarus available for the majority of the test. 20% of the science test is common sense "what should you do if spill/break/do something wrong in the lab?"

RUF/NEK7 - they still haven't released the final specs for the STAAR test. As of August 1st, my school (I teach at a high school) sent out information saying the state hasn't sent out requirements for the final grade weight yet, or what grade it will take to pass the test, or how to apply the score to the grade...or really anything that specific.

It is going to be a final exam for each core course (Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2, English I, II, and III, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, World Geography/History, Government, and American History). It is going to count for part of their final grade in each course. They are going to have to pass all 12 to graduate.

yankee
8/5/2011, 12:35 PM
Since so many schools here in Texas spend a huge amount of time teaching specifically for the TAKS, it's distressing that anyone would fail. They're not going to get the same level if hand-holding in college.

This!!!

SoonersEnFuego
8/5/2011, 01:32 PM
I for one, can hardly wait to see the pre game Haka dance. :D

It's on the official Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150397950474325&oid=99307042004&comments

Travis Lewis is absolutely hilarious on it!!!

TheHumanAlphabet
8/5/2011, 02:01 PM
In my day, we had to derive them. :D

You laugh, but my final in Atmospheric Physics was derive the Pseudoadiabatic Lapse Rate of a parcel of air ascending. Talk about a derivation...

TheHumanAlphabet
8/5/2011, 02:03 PM
Oh, Nila is from Euless Trinity. Lots of Haka there...

cccasooner2
8/5/2011, 02:24 PM
You laugh, but my final in Atmospheric Physics was derive the Pseudoadiabatic Lapse Rate of a parcel of air ascending. Talk about a derivation...

Pfff, I had to derive the Trueadiabatic Lapse Rate.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/6/2011, 10:48 PM
Pfff, I had to derive the Trueadiabatic Lapse Rate.

heh! :D

Soonermagik
8/6/2011, 11:11 PM
I'm sure the math trips up plenty of kids. I do agree that they pound it in your head, so you should eventually pass.

If I read that right, a good ACT/SAT score could also satisfy the testing requirement. If I were in that dude's shoes I would have taken the ACT/SAT every weekend, so he doesn't put all his eggs in one basket. I'm sure he will be humiliated if he doesn't pass because everyone will know he failed the test again. To be honest, that's a lot of pressure!!

BajaOklahoma
8/6/2011, 11:15 PM
The TAKS test is based on the TEKs (Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills). The TEKS are the state based items that must be taught for each grade level. In theory, if you are teaching to the TAKs, then you should also be teaching to the TEKS.
I'm not sure if it is a district based decision or a state requirement, but as soon as the school is informed that a student failed TAKS, they are put in tutoring.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/6/2011, 11:28 PM
Too add: It wont be any easier starting next year when the state begins STAAR testing. It will consist of end of course exams requiring students to recall material from years past. It is accumulative so in the student's 4 years of high school, they will be required to have an average of 70% or better to pass.

Washington started requiring these for graduation last year so my daughter (who is in trig) had to go back and take the algebra 1 one to pass. We homeschool both of our kids and we've switched curriculums based on what we thought was the most thorough. My daughter was completely lost on her first pass through the study exam. So I went through the study guide and was like WTF?

Out of 50 practice questions:

5 were physics/chemistry applied questions (the booklet got 2 of the answers wrong, sigh).
2 were not in any algebra 1 book I could find (geometric series, etc)
5 were in function form (which isn't covered until pre-calc)

I literally had to teach her to use deductive reasoning to get the answer on a lot of the questions. It was so bad, that I emailed the State Overseer of the test pointing out the problems and estimated that 75% of the kids taking it would fail it (since a 70% was needed to pass). I was close -> 62% failed.

So for the youngest, I'm taking a different track. We are going to continue to use the current textbooks (since they are laid out the best), but we are going to supplement with Singapore Math word problems and some other secondary source material.

Soonermagik
8/7/2011, 09:11 AM
Washington started requiring these for graduation last year so my daughter (who is in trig) had to go back and take the algebra 1 one to pass. We homeschool both of our kids and we've switched curriculums based on what we thought was the most thorough. My daughter was completely lost on her first pass through the study exam. So I went through the study guide and was like WTF?

Out of 50 practice questions:

5 were physics/chemistry applied questions (the booklet got 2 of the answers wrong, sigh).
2 were not in any algebra 1 book I could find (geometric series, etc)
5 were in function form (which isn't covered until pre-calc)

I literally had to teach her to use deductive reasoning to get the answer on a lot of the questions. It was so bad, that I emailed the State Overseer of the test pointing out the problems and estimated that 75% of the kids taking it would fail it (since a 70% was needed to pass). I was close -> 62% failed.

So for the youngest, I'm taking a different track. We are going to continue to use the current textbooks (since they are laid out the best), but we are going to supplement with Singapore Math word problems and some other secondary source material.

That's pretty crazy. Surely there are practice exams for this stuff, so why don't you just constantly go over that with your kids? Like the TAKS or whatever it's called, there were practice exams so you would know exactly the kind of problems that will be on the test.

60 + % of the kids should not be failing. In my opinion, there is a problem when more than 20% of kids fail a standardized test.

SoonerofAlabama
8/7/2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the update. Hope these guys make it.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/7/2011, 07:24 PM
That's pretty crazy. Surely there are practice exams for this stuff, so why don't you just constantly go over that with your kids? Like the TAKS or whatever it's called, there were practice exams so you would know exactly the kind of problems that will be on the test.

60 + % of the kids should not be failing. In my opinion, there is a problem when more than 20% of kids fail a standardized test.

No, No, No. That stuff it too advanced for the great state of Warshington. No we put the mandate that you have to do it and then go try to find a test. The 1st study guide and test were basically handwritten because it hadn't been standardized yet. Thus the reason for the high failure rate.

Now, my daughter passed because as I said, she's homeschooled so we can as much time on it as we want (and tweak what we teach for assinine requirements).

prrriiide
8/7/2011, 08:24 PM
TAKS uses more critical thinking skills

Wow. I'm glad NCLB makes sure that's taught so thoroughly...:rolleyes:

tfoolry
8/7/2011, 09:11 PM
It's on the official Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150397950474325&oid=99307042004&comments

Travis Lewis is absolutely hilarious on it!!!

Badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger MUSHROOM

Ground_Attack
8/7/2011, 09:31 PM

http://pages.suddenlink.net/wx/images/moistadiabat.PNG

soonerboy_odanorth
8/8/2011, 12:38 AM

African or European?

OUTrumpet
8/8/2011, 01:09 AM
The TAKS test is based on the TEKs (Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills). The TEKS are the state based items that must be taught for each grade level. In theory, if you are teaching to the TAKs, then you should also be teaching to the TEKS.
I'm not sure if it is a district based decision or a state requirement, but as soon as the school is informed that a student failed TAKS, they are put in tutoring.

The problem with the TAKS test is you can move on to the next level without showing mastery.

60% is considered 'passing' at almost all levels.

But the problem is is when a kid starts falling behind - they score at a D level, and are expected to use that material to build on. And so the next grade level has to go back and spend time reteaching that material over from scratch. And it doesn't help that the TAKS tests are below grade level, and the scores are where the majority of funding comes from.

By the time they get to me, I have kids that are incredibly far behind from this snowball effect. I'm supposed to teach how to derive formulas and apply them and they can't even solve an equation of 2x = 4.

The kids are good enough at taking multiple choice tests. They can use a calculator to some degree. But they don't understand concepts very well. And they fallback on calculator 'tricks' to get them through a multiple choice test where they are significantly behind each year.

northspeter
8/8/2011, 08:58 AM
just another reason why texas is suck....

TheHumanAlphabet
8/8/2011, 09:31 AM
http://pages.suddenlink.net/wx/images/moistadiabat.PNG

God, I forgot what that looked like...I don't recall it in that form or in any form ;).

Now show your math on a Blue Book and do it within an hour...

101sooner
8/8/2011, 09:35 AM
So are they eligible or not? :)

sooner_born_1960
8/8/2011, 09:40 AM
The problem with the TAKS test is you can move on to the next level without showing mastery.

60% is considered 'passing' at almost all levels.

But the problem is is when a kid starts falling behind - they score at a D level, and are expected to use that material to build on. And so the next grade level has to go back and spend time reteaching that material over from scratch. And it doesn't help that the TAKS tests are below grade level, and the scores are where the majority of funding comes from.

By the time they get to me, I have kids that are incredibly far behind from this snowball effect. I'm supposed to teach how to derive formulas and apply them and they can't even solve an equation of 2x = 4.

The kids are good enough at taking multiple choice tests. They can use a calculator to some degree. But they don't understand concepts very well. And they fallback on calculator 'tricks' to get them through a multiple choice test where they are significantly behind each year.
Are you just going to leave us hanging here?

Eielson
8/8/2011, 10:04 AM
If I read that right, a good ACT/SAT score could also satisfy the testing requirement. If I were in that dude's shoes I would have taken the ACT/SAT every weekend, so he doesn't put all his eggs in one basket. I'm sure he will be humiliated if he doesn't pass because everyone will know he failed the test again. To be honest, that's a lot of pressure!!

You can't take the ACT every weekend. There is only one national test date given in the summer, I believe. If he tests at the University of Oklahoma, he has to wait something like 60 days between tests.

LVSOONER15
8/8/2011, 10:11 AM
So are they eligible or not? :)

Exactly what I am waiting for.

jmax33
8/8/2011, 12:59 PM
Not to make fun of myself but, I stunk at tests. Something about testing I severely stunk at. My ACT was a joke and I was last near the bottom of my class. Yet, I received a Bachelors, Masters, and 15hrs towards my doctorate. I graduated at a college with high standards " Northeastern State out of Tahlequah, and PROUD . I laughed off high school but when a person becomes serious, all is out the window. But, I sure hope they are eligible. BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!!!!!! I sure hate Arkansas!!!!!!!!

70sooner
8/8/2011, 12:59 PM
take it for what it's worth, but I found this on another site. don't know if it is correct ot not.

Jordan Wade a Sooner signee for last years class out of Round Rock, Texas will not be a Sooner this season. It appears the 6'4 293 pound DT will enroll at a JUCO immediately. Wade was highly regarded out of high school ranked as a 4 star prospect, number 150 player in the nation, 15 DT in US, and number 20 player in Texas. This is disappointing news as Sooner coaches believe Wade would have played for OU this fall. Wade joined Jordan Phillips and Marquis Anderson as the Sooners three interior D-Lineman for the 2011 football recruitng class.

Ruf/Nek7
8/8/2011, 01:24 PM
Wow. I'm glad NCLB makes sure that's taught so thoroughly...:rolleyes:

No comment ;)