PDA

View Full Version : Longhorn's Malcolm Williams quits football

lmg0088
8/4/2011, 05:26 PM
Here is a blog entry from the Statesman:

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2011/08/04/malcolm_william_1.html

Malcolm Williams will miss senior season
By Richard Tijerina | Thursday, August 4, 2011, 02:53 PM

Mack Brown addressed the media Thursday afternoon, in advance of the Longhorns opening up fall practices Friday morning.

He began with some roster updates:

First, the Longhorns have lost their only senior wide receiver on the roster. Malcolm Williams, who missed time this spring to deal with personal issues, will not play this year because of continued personal and family problems.
Brown wouldn’t go into specifics, but said he and Williams met Thursday morning, when the decision was made.

“I told him (this spring) just to slow down and made sure he took his time,” Brown said. “He’s been an outstanding player for us, and has done everything we’ve asked him to do.

“He’s had some tough things happen that would be tough for all of us, that got tougher in the summer. He was planning on playing, but some more things popped up. This morning, we talked. I want what’s best for him. I wish him well.”

The loss of Williams further thins Texas’ receiving corps, which has already lost sophomore Greg Timmons, who left the program this summer, and junior Marquise Goodwin, who’s skipping football this fall to concentrate on track and field.

What’s left at receiver? Texas’ best wideouts, in order, are Mike Davis … followed by several unknowns and unprovens: junior DeSean Hale, sophomore Darius White, redshirt freshmen John Harris and Chris Jones, and incoming freshmen Jaxon Shipley and Miles Onyegbule.

EatLeadCommie
8/4/2011, 05:27 PM
They probably need to reboot at that position anyway, but this can't help for whatever chemistry (if any) Gilbert has built up with those guys.

oudavid1
8/4/2011, 05:32 PM
Well I hope he is ok. This sucks for them. They lost him and Goodwin. Wow. Mike Davis and Darius White are their only tagets.

badger
8/4/2011, 05:56 PM
I find myself hesitant to believe any reason that Mack releases about why a player leaves his team after a certain essay on Sherrod Harris (http://www.lakenlitman.com/LakenLitman.SherrodHarris.narrative.pdf) snuck onto the internet.

“So I was like ‘Cool, I quit today. Take my stuff out of the locker,’” Harris said.
“Then they released some BS statement about me quitting because I wanted to focus on
school or some sh*t. Whatever, I had two classes.”

OUVarsityXV
8/4/2011, 06:12 PM
Their next best receiver had 10 receptions last year.

Herr Scholz
8/4/2011, 06:23 PM
They probably need to reboot at that position anyway, but this can't help for whatever chemistry (if any) Gilbert has built up with those guys.

Neither Goodwin nor Williams had any hands. Williams was best used on special teams. Remember Williams dropping that pass in the endzone in the national title game vs. Bama that hit him in the chest? Goodwin has 2 career TDs. We're fine at WR. We need a TE to step up in this offense.

Herr Scholz
8/4/2011, 06:28 PM
Well I hope he is ok. This sucks for them. They lost him and Goodwin. Wow. Mike Davis and Darius White are their only tagets.

No. Desean Hales and John Harris are very good. Shipley is already in the mix too. Plus, this means more touches for DJ Monroe who I know you guys remember.

sperry
8/4/2011, 06:39 PM
Neither Goodwin nor Williams had any hands. Williams was best used on special teams. Remember Williams dropping that pass in the endzone in the national title game vs. Bama that hit him in the chest? Goodwin has 2 career TDs. We're fine at WR. We need a TE to step up in this offense.

You're going to be fine when you either have a horrible JR QB, or a Frosh or Soph throwing to a bunch of frosh and sophs who have never played? It's gonna be a long year for Texas.

101sooner
8/4/2011, 06:46 PM
Well, they can always fall back on the power running game.

101sooner
8/4/2011, 06:50 PM
.....as long as they don't play Wyoming, they'll move the ball well that way.

Jacie
8/4/2011, 06:56 PM
You're going to be fine when you either have a horrible JR QB, or a Frosh or Soph throwing to a bunch of frosh and sophs who have never played? It's gonna be a long year for Texas.

What he means is they are not going to be any worse than they were before . . .

Soonermagik
8/4/2011, 07:04 PM

Now that's funny!!!:D

TahoeSOONER
8/4/2011, 07:16 PM
It's a trap

oudavid1
8/4/2011, 07:17 PM
No. Desean Hales and John Harris are very good. Shipley is already in the mix too. Plus, this means more touches for DJ Monroe who I know you guys remember.

They are no ones. So far. Not to concerned. And yes, im remember DJ (urg)

Sooner_Tuf
8/4/2011, 07:33 PM

Are they GG good?

sperry
8/4/2011, 07:42 PM
Also considering that Texas' receivers were horrible last year, and none of these guys could crack the lineup, I'd say it's not a good sign.

SoonerObsession
8/4/2011, 07:48 PM
Hate to see any college athlete have personal problems interfere with their dreams. Best of luck to him! May not look good for UT right now, but for some reason I don't think they will be as bad as last year. They recruit well, and unproven players can surprise you.

RIPOUinsider
8/4/2011, 08:27 PM
I find myself hesitant to believe any reason that Mack releases about why a player leaves his team after a certain essay on Sherrod Harris (http://www.lakenlitman.com/LakenLitman.SherrodHarris.narrative.pdf) snuck onto the internet.

Thanks for that link. Kind of sounds like sour grapes, but it was interesting reading.

SoonerinSouthlake
8/4/2011, 08:58 PM
We hang half a hun on the whorn this year

BlackwellSooner
8/4/2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks for that link. Kind of sounds like sour grapes, but it was interesting reading.

Maybe, maybe not. If even half of what Mack was claimed to have promised Sherrod (and didn't deliver) is true, Harris definitely got the $hitty end of the stick!

I know that players who are All-Everything in HS are promised the moon by recruiters - that's standard operating procedure, all coaches do it, so I won't throw darts at Mack for that. Not that. But the runaround that Mack and Greg Davis gave this kid, especially in the leadup and during their game against Alabama STINKS. No other word for it, it stinks.

I wish Sherrod Harris good luck in his future life, and bestow my disdain for MB. That is all...

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/4/2011, 10:31 PM
Sad deal

Good luck young man

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/5/2011, 01:53 AM
You're going to be fine when you either have a horrible JR QB, or a Frosh or Soph throwing to a bunch of frosh and sophs who have never played? It's gonna be a long year for Texas.THAT'S more like it!

BigJerm7
8/5/2011, 09:54 AM
I can't wait to hear the McCoy-Shipley lovefest again.

cjames317
8/5/2011, 12:24 PM
Freshman horn WR Miles Onyegbule was Arlington High's QB last year and a WR before that. He's a good kid. It'll be hard to watch him suffer, but I'll do my best.

Herr Scholz
8/5/2011, 01:50 PM
We hang half a hun on the whorn this year

I don't think the Horns will win the RRS this year due to new schemes on both sides of the ball (not to mention a thin O line and ? at QB), but our D will be salty. I think we'll hang in there for a while.

BermudaSooner
8/5/2011, 02:04 PM

I thought Colt McCoy was out of eligibility

Herr Scholz
8/5/2011, 03:00 PM
Malcolm Brown and Joe Bergeron will add a boost to the RB corps this Fall to go along with Fozzy, DJ Monroe and Jeremy Hills. Of course they'll go as the O line goes and how fast the new offense gets picked up. Expect more swing passes to the RBs as well as inside tackle plays with pulling guards. And more North/South blocking, less East/West. Totally different offense.

BillyBall
8/5/2011, 03:15 PM
42-17

Sooner in the Bluegrass
8/5/2011, 05:05 PM
Thanks for that link.Kind of sounds like sour grapes , but it was interesting reading.

Especially this line:

"Texas ended up losing a [the BCS championship] game it should have won, 37-21."

Is he saying

a) "Should (would) have won if Colt hadn't gotten hurt" (a standard bromide, or so I'm given to understand)

b) "Should (would) have won if Harris had replaced Colt, instead of Gilbert."

or

c) "Should have won no matter what, because, duh, they're, like, Texas, and well, just because. And stuff."

Sure, maybe they could have won, but should have? It's not like they were playing some upstart underdog-- that wasn't East Popcorn State, that was freakin' Alabama.