PDA

View Full Version : Practice Notes (Tulsa World)

Always_Sooner
8/4/2011, 01:38 PM
Observations from Day 1 of Oklahoma's opening practice
8/4/2011 8:39:00 AM

NORMAN — A few observations from watching the first 65 minutes of Oklahoma’s first practice of training camp:

* RB Roy Finch, coming off an ankle/foot injury looks healthy and really explosive, even for him, though he wasn’t among the first rotation. Brennan Clay, Jonathan Miller and Jermie Calhoun got the first snaps, followed by Finch and Dominique Whaley.

* Gabe Lynn was the starting CB opposite Demontre Hurst. Jamell Fleming was not working with the As or the Bs to start off, but later got some work.

* Freshman DT Jordan Phillips was unexpectedly absent. Bob Stoops will likely address that after practice this morning. DT Jordan Wade and WR Trey Metoyer were also missing, though their absences were not unexpected. Metoyer is finishing junior college classes trying to get eligible. He could know as soon as next week if he made it.

* Stoops looks very relaxed. How so? He interacted (maybe played up to?) the ESPN All-Access camera crew a couple times between plays. The crew was all but underfoot, and Stoops never flinched. But maybe the best indicator Stoops is feeling fine, he opened up the first 15 minutes of Day 1 for local reporters, but allowed that to stretch to more than 40 minutes. (The latter may be a product of Stoops allowing more access because the ESPN crew is here.)

* Corey Nelson started out as the strongside linebacker. His first snap, he was lined up like a defensive end outside of DE Ronnell Lewis. His second snap, he was in a more traditional linebacker spot. On his third, he was split out covering a slot receiver. Players wore no pads (helmets only), but Nelson was in or near all three plays.

* Drills started at 6:45, but Cale Gundy’s running backs were all (but Finch) on the field by 6:40. The early start time was chosen to help players deal with the excessive heat. Temperatures were comfortable, in the low to mid-80s throughout the first 40 minutes and nobody at the OU rugby fields appeared to struggle physically.

— By John E. Hoover
Written by
John Hoover
Sports Writer

delhalew
8/4/2011, 01:46 PM
Hard to imagine Bob playing to the camera. I am uncomfortable with the effect of those cameras, but it will be fun to watch.

sooneredaco
8/4/2011, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the post.... I just can't get enough Oklahoma Football News these days!

Quik Sand
8/4/2011, 01:47 PM
thanks for the post

LakeRat
8/4/2011, 01:49 PM
Observations from Day 1 of Oklahoma's opening practice
8/4/2011 8:39:00 AM

NORMAN — A few observations from watching the first 65 minutes of Oklahoma’s first practice of training camp:

* RB Roy Finch, coming off an ankle/foot injury looks healthy and really explosive, even for him, though he wasn’t among the first rotation. Brennan Clay, Jonathan Miller and Jermie Calhoun got the first snaps, followed by Finch and Dominique Whaley.

* Gabe Lynn was the starting CB opposite Demontre Hurst. Jamell Fleming was not working with the As or the Bs to start off, but later got some work.

* Freshman DT Jordan Phillips was unexpectedly absent. Bob Stoops will likely address that after practice this morning. DT Jordan Wade and WR Trey Metoyer were also missing, though their absences were not unexpected. Metoyer is finishing junior college classes trying to get eligible. He could know as soon as next week if he made it.

* Stoops looks very relaxed. How so? He interacted (maybe played up to?) the ESPN All-Access camera crew a couple times between plays. The crew was all but underfoot, and Stoops never flinched. But maybe the best indicator Stoops is feeling fine, he opened up the first 15 minutes of Day 1 for local reporters, but allowed that to stretch to more than 40 minutes. (The latter may be a product of Stoops allowing more access because the ESPN crew is here.)

* Corey Nelson started out as the strongside linebacker. His first snap, he was lined up like a defensive end outside of DE Ronnell Lewis. His second snap, he was in a more traditional linebacker spot. On his third, he was split out covering a slot receiver. Players wore no pads (helmets only), but Nelson was in or near all three plays.
* Drills started at 6:45, but Cale Gundy’s running backs were all (but Finch) on the field by 6:40. The early start time was chosen to help players deal with the excessive heat. Temperatures were comfortable, in the low to mid-80s throughout the first 40 minutes and nobody at the OU rugby fields appeared to struggle physically.

— By John E. Hoover
Written by
John Hoover
Sports Writer

The bold part shows some major versatility. I hope he is as good as he has been talked about this offseason.

SoonerofAlabama
8/4/2011, 01:54 PM
Glad to hear Finch is getting back to 100%. Sounds like we have tons of talent ready at RB.

NormanPride
8/4/2011, 02:00 PM
Anyone else think Nelson is going to oust Ibiloye? Ibby's good, but you have to get your best players out on the field.

boomersooner28
8/4/2011, 02:03 PM
Sooo, TJ said on FB is is playing FS. I see Corey Nelson starting at LB, which allows TJ to "move back to" safety. That secondary is gonna be scary good! TJ and Colvin at the safeties. We have 3 CB's that are good (Fleming/Hurst/Lynn), LB's will be Corey Nelson/Lewis/& Wort?? Im getting excited here. Defense is gonna be better than people imagined.

mightysooner
8/4/2011, 02:08 PM
Did Dejuan Miller get on the field? Any word on his recovery?

boomersooner28
8/4/2011, 02:09 PM
Heard Dejuan Miller is back and healthy. They are expecting BIG things from him. Broyles said that will be one guy that everybody takes notice of this year.

OklahomaTuba
8/4/2011, 02:10 PM
Just heard Merv speaking at a lunch that Colvin and TJ are the real deal.

mightysooner
8/4/2011, 02:12 PM
Excellent! I think with him healthy and on the field we have to have the best WR corp in the nation, easily. We already know what Broyles and Stills can do but I expect Miller to have a big year this year. I'd hate to have to defend against that group. Yikes!

Widescreen
8/4/2011, 02:13 PM
D. Miller had a very good spring game.

mightysooner
8/4/2011, 02:15 PM
I thought Miller was held out of the spring game because of his lagging injury?

OK2U
8/4/2011, 02:15 PM
Sooo, TJ said on FB is is playing FS. I see Corey Nelson starting at LB, which allows TJ to "move back to" safety. That secondary is gonna be scary good! TJ and Colvin at the safeties. We have 3 CB's that are good (Fleming/Hurst/Lynn), LB's will be Corey Nelson/Lewis/& Wort?? Im getting excited here. Defense is gonna be better than people imagined.

STOOPS EXPERIMENTING WITH JEFFERSON (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Tony+Jefferson&CATEGORY=PERSON), NELSON (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Corey+Nelson&CATEGORY=PERSON)
Stoops said the team is experimenting with sophomore defensive back Tony Jefferson, who played nickelback last season, at the deep safety positions and sophomore linebacker Corey Nelson at the nickelback.
“We're looking at Tony Jefferson some in the deep positions,” Stoops said. “He needs to know the deep positions as well as the nickel positions. As a true freshman a year ago, that wasn't the right thing to do. It was too much to grasp. But in just one day out there, you can tell he's already grasping playing the deep safety positions.
“We're looking at Corey Nelson not only as the outside weak backer, but as the nickel outside strong backer. To us, it's always about getting your absolute best 11 on the field.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/ou-football-coach-bob-stoops-pleased-with-sooners-first-practice/article/3591585#ixzz1U5akiHLz

Widescreen
8/4/2011, 02:19 PM
I thought Miller was held out of the spring game because of his lagging injury?

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/041611aaa.html

Search for Miller. He played well.

REDREX
8/4/2011, 02:19 PM
Jordan Phillips-----Whats the problem?

soonersweetie
8/4/2011, 02:21 PM
It is finally here! Now if we can just get college football weather to cooperate ;)

sperry
8/4/2011, 02:26 PM
Miller has been good his whole career when he's gotten to play. Don't know if it's the dog house or poor blocking or poor practice play or what that has limited his role in the past. Also, I think Stoops has gotta be kicking himself for putting Dejuan in for like 2 games as a freshman. I hate it when we burn redshirts for basically no reason, and I think we are really gonna regret not having Dejuan in '12.

ouboomer1
8/4/2011, 02:36 PM
Jordan Phillips-----Whats the problem?

buzz on him is a clearing house issue (much like Stills last year)

badger
8/4/2011, 02:38 PM
NP and I miss football so much we've been watching the sh!tty team replays on CBS College Sports and ESPNU. Look, NP! East Carolina is taking on NC State! And now UCF is battling Southern Mississippi! It's the Beef O Brady Bowl! With... Southern Mississippi again against Louisville! Yay!!!!!!!!!

BoulderSooner79
8/4/2011, 02:55 PM
+1 thanks on the post

Very happy to see Calhoun getting snaps. That knee injury in the CU game was severe and I'm surprised he is ready to go.

Mad Dog Madsen
8/4/2011, 03:00 PM
NP and I miss football so much we've been watching the sh!tty team replays on CBS College Sports and ESPNU. Look, NP! East Carolina is taking on NC State! And now UCF is battling Southern Mississippi! It's the Beef O Brady Bowl! With... Southern Mississippi again against Louisville! Yay!!!!!!!!!

LMAO! I totally know where yall are coming from... But hey, at least they finally quit showing the Auburn/Oregon game! They must've shown that damn game like 30 times a week it seemed like.

madillsoonerfan5353
8/4/2011, 03:06 PM

This ^^^^^ I've been thinking this since the Uconn game, this will be a top 5 D IMO!! Can't wait, BOOMER!!!!!

:gary:

BoulderSooner79
8/4/2011, 03:12 PM
I doubt top 5 statistically as long as we still try to run 90+ plays on offense. But it could be a very good D from the aspect of how tough they really are on the field.

badger
8/4/2011, 03:26 PM
LMAO! I totally know where yall are coming from... But hey, at least they finally quit showing the Auburn/Oregon game! They must've shown that damn game like 30 times a week it seemed like.

:mad: It was on yesterday. It'll probably be on again tonight. I don't watch it anymore. It's a lot closer than people from the almightly SEC like to remember though. Oregano had a very good chance at the end.

usaosooner
8/4/2011, 03:54 PM
Boomer Sooner!

85sooners
8/4/2011, 03:56 PM
boooooooooooooooooooomer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OUNASH
8/4/2011, 06:10 PM
SSSSSOOOOOOONNNNNEEEEEERRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!
Cant Wait to get this season started.

OUVarsityXV
8/4/2011, 06:23 PM
Great stuff.

swardboy
8/4/2011, 08:39 PM
I hope this time next summer we're tired of OU MNC game replays.

BajaOklahoma
8/4/2011, 10:45 PM
Not possible.
I've got a bunch of old games on tape that i am copying over to DVDs. It's amazing how many times I find myself watching the games.

stoopified
8/5/2011, 12:40 PM
go0od stuff