PDA

View Full Version : Air Force Cites New Testament, Ex-Nazi to Train Officers on Ethics of Launching Nukes

JohnnyMack
8/4/2011, 07:27 AM
http://www.truth-out.org/air-force-pulls-christian-themed-ethics-training-missile-officers/1311972789?q=air-force-cites-new-testament-ex-nazi-train-officers-ethics-launching-nuclear-weapons/1311776738

Air Force Cites New Testament, Ex-Nazi, to Train Officers on Ethics of Launching Nuclear Weapons

The United States Air Force has been training young missile officers about the morals and ethics of launching nuclear weapons by citing passages from the New Testament and commentary from a former member of the Nazi Party, according to newly released documents.

The mandatory Nuclear Ethics and Nuclear Warfare session, which includes a discussion on St. Augustine's "Christian Just War Theory," is led by Air Force chaplains and takes place during a missile officer's first week in training at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California.

St. Augustine's "Qualifications for Just War," according to the way it is cited in a 43-page PowerPoint presentation, are: "to avenge or to avert evil; to protect the innocent and restore moral social order (just cause)" and "to restore moral order; not expand power, not for pride or revenge (just intent)."

Sounds like a great idea.

OUDoc
8/4/2011, 08:35 AM
xOrgLj9lOwk

OhU1
8/4/2011, 08:51 AM
Hallelujah and Allah Akbar!

I liked the Dead Zone movie where Martin Sheen as a populist who rose to the Presidency tells his stunned Joint Chiefs who have rushed to tell him a settlement had been reached with the Russians - "My destiny has been fulfilled. The bombs are in the air! God Bless America!".

sappstuf
8/4/2011, 09:14 AM
I actually don't have a problem with the quote from Van Braun. In context, there is nothing wrong with it.

"We knew that we had created a new means of warfare and the question as to what nation, to what victorious nation we were willing to entrust this brainchild of ours was a moral decision more than anything else," Von Braun said upon surrendering to American forces in May 1945. "We wanted to see the world spared another conflict such as Germany had just been through and we felt that only by surrendering such a weapon to people who are guided by the Bible could such an assurance to the world be best secured.

He could have just as easily said, "There is no way were going to hand it over to the heathen, sub-human Soviets because they will destroy the world with it". Which is probably exactly how Van Braun felt.

The class should have been toned down and been an optional class.

NormanPride
8/4/2011, 09:22 AM
I know a lot of foreign people bitch about America, but I can't think of another nation in history that has had such a huge military and scientific advantage over the rest of the world and not made a huge move to expand their empire. From an objective standpoint, it's an idiotic move that we squandered such a rare opportunity, but from a moral standpoint I am proud that we had the self control to minimize our global military impact as much as we have.

EDIT: **** you and your stupid title, JM.

JohnnyMack
8/4/2011, 09:30 AM
I know a lot of foreign people bitch about America, but I can't think of another nation in history that has had such a huge military and scientific advantage over the rest of the world and not made a huge move to expand their empire. From an objective standpoint, it's an idiotic move that we squandered such a rare opportunity, but from a moral standpoint I am proud that we had the self control to minimize our global military impact as much as we have.

EDIT: **** you and your stupid title, JM.

I'll pee on you.

87sooner
8/4/2011, 09:32 AM
the class has been suspended...
but i'm sure you already knew that didn't you littlejohnnymack?
you should just pee on yourself..

TUSooner
8/4/2011, 09:41 AM
Rather specious how the source sums up Von Braun's life with "ex-Nazi".

JohnnyMack
8/4/2011, 09:44 AM

Using Werner Von Braun as a reference point for morality is like asking Casey Anthony for tips on childcare.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/4/2011, 09:54 AM
I'm sure they would have used the Atheist Moral Handbook if they had it handy.

jk the sooner fan
8/4/2011, 10:01 AM

:golfclap:

NormanPride
8/4/2011, 10:02 AM
I'll pee on you.
Tease.

TUSooner
8/4/2011, 10:04 AM
Using Werner Von Braun as a reference point for morality is like asking Casey Anthony for tips on childcare.

He got better!

Be careful - else you may become as credible as soonercruiser....

yermom
8/4/2011, 10:09 AM
they've gotta do something to brainwash them into killing countless civilians should the need arise

"nuke thy neighbor" is one of the commandments, right?

87sooner
8/4/2011, 10:11 AM
they've gotta do something to brainwash them into killing countless civilians should the need arise

nuke they MUSLIM neighbor

cccasooner2
8/4/2011, 10:12 AM
http://www.truth-out.org/air-force-pulls-christian-themed-ethics-training-missile-officers/1311972789?q=air-force-cites-new-testament-ex-nazi-train-officers-ethics-launching-nuclear-weapons/1311776738

Sounds like a great idea.

The contents of that link scared me so much I soaked my armor.

TUSooner
8/4/2011, 10:12 AM

Well, it's quicker than killing them all with swords and stuff; that's so Old Testament.

JohnnyMack
8/4/2011, 10:13 AM

Yes because atheist = immoral.

Simpleton.

sappstuf
8/4/2011, 10:23 AM
Van Braun with President Kennedy...

What kind of moral code must Kennedy have had to be consorting with an Ex-Nazi? :rolleyes:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/Kennedy_vonbraun_19may63_02.jpg

JohnnyMack
8/4/2011, 10:26 AM
Van Braun with President Kennedy...

What kind of moral code must Kennedy have had to be consorting with an Ex-Nazi? :rolleyes:

Well, he did spend quite a bit of his time ****ing women that he wasn't married to.

Veritas
8/4/2011, 11:27 AM
http://truth-out.org is basically the DailyKos with less garish graphics so the full range of illogic that usually betrays a lack of objectivity is to be expected.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/4/2011, 12:21 PM
Yes because atheist = immoral.

Simpleton.

I prefer peabrain.

But Jesus did teach me not to make thread titles too long. After all, we know long thread titles are compensation for small appendages.

JohnnyMack
8/4/2011, 12:34 PM
http://truth-out.org is basically the DailyKos with less garish graphics so the full range of illogic that usually betrays a lack of objectivity is to be expected.

You mean newsmax?

soonercruiser
8/4/2011, 01:16 PM
If I were still a unit Commander in the Air Force, I would be required to take classes on implementing "open" service of gays in the military. And, I would be using this to train my own troops on "diversity"!

What Bible is that in????
:rolleyes:
Just sayin.....

JohnnyMack
8/4/2011, 01:22 PM
I prefer peabrain.

But Jesus did teach me not to make thread titles too long. After all, we know long thread titles are compensation for small appendages.

:les:IT'S AVERAGE SIZE!!!!

GDC
8/4/2011, 02:20 PM
http://elpasotimes.typepad.com/morgue/2009/01/v2-rocket-off-course-falls-near-juarez.html

V-2 Rocket, Off Course, Falls Near Juarez
May 30, 1947

Veritas
8/4/2011, 02:38 PM
You mean newsmax?
Sure, why not. It's just red foam at the mouth there instead of blue.