Fraggle145
8/3/2011, 05:05 PM
http://electroncafe.wordpress.com/2011/05/04/scientific-process-rage/

http://boingboing.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/scienceragebig.jpg

GDC
8/3/2011, 06:26 PM
Nice.

Here's a good book related to this:

Henry H. Bauer, Scientific Literacy and the Myth of the Scientific Method, (Urbana and Chicago, University of Illinois Press, 1994). Bauer, chemistry professor at Virginia Polytechnic Institute, upends current contentions about science literacy in a small, dense book that could be the nucleus of a restructuring of how science works in our culture, or, in the author's terms, how its reputation works.

Did you know OU has one of the best history of science collections in the world? It's amazing to view something in the handwriting of Galileo, Darwin, Newton, etc.

sooner59
8/3/2011, 11:25 PM
Yep, that pretty much nails it there Fraggle. I would probably at some more cuss words and probably some destruction of property out of frustration in there as well.

sooner59
8/3/2011, 11:37 PM
Nice.

Henry H. Bauer, Scientific Literacy and the Myth of the Scientific Method, (Urbana and Chicago, University of Illinois Press, 1994). Bauer, chemistry professor at Virginia Polytechnic Institute, upends current contentions about science literacy in a small, dense book that could be the nucleus of a restructuring of how science works in our culture, or, in the author's terms, how its reputation works.

Did you know OU has one of the best history of science collections in the world? It's amazing to view something in the handwriting of Galileo, Darwin, Newton, etc.

I don't think a lot of people know about that, but yes, you are correct. The history of science collection at OU is outstanding. I minored in history of science and was able to have some great professors and tour and use the books in the collection.

One summer, I worked in the library and had to help them move the entire history of science collection. It took up the entire 5th floor. Had to move it to the 3rd so they could fire-proof the 5th. Anyway, I never knew the extend of that collection until then. I was able to to actually pick these handwritten books up and "carefully" move them. They thumbed through them and showed us all of the cool stuff. Millions and millions of dollars on each rack that had to be moved. It actually made me nervous. It was cool, though. They keep them in locked and sealed rooms that are kept at a certain temperature and humidity.

On another note, in the history of science collection they have a separate wing behind lock and key that is just a Bible collection. Some are hundreds and hundreds of years old. No Gutenberg, but some really amazing stuff. Again, millions of dollars worth. We would carefully stack a rack full and move them and shelve them, then they would tell us that the rack we just moved was worth a fortune...some single Bibles on the rack worth a million each. Outstanding.

OutlandTrophy
8/4/2011, 02:32 AM
The scientific process is for hippies, liberals and blondes.

lexsooner
8/4/2011, 08:50 AM
South Oval Science: unseasonably cool or cold short term weather conditions = proof that global warming is a bunch of bunk.

lexsooner
8/4/2011, 08:53 AM
Nice.

Well, Kentucky has, uh, the Creation Museum. And remember, evo-lution is only a theory, not fact, which means it don't mean nuthin.

OhU1
8/4/2011, 08:57 AM
South Oval Science: I ain't come from no monkey! (actually I'm joking here, I don't see as much of that here as in the general population :) ).

OhU1
8/4/2011, 08:59 AM
Well, Kentucky has, uh, the Creation Museum. And remember, evo-lution is only a theory, not fact, which means it don't mean nuthin.

Have you been? And have you ridden the Triceretops equipped a saddle?

Fraggle145
8/4/2011, 09:10 AM
I don't think a lot of people know about that, but yes, you are correct. The history of science collection at OU is outstanding. I minored in history of science and was able to have some great professors and tour and use the books in the collection.

One summer, I worked in the library and had to help them move the entire history of science collection. It took up the entire 5th floor. Had to move it to the 3rd so they could fire-proof the 5th. Anyway, I never knew the extend of that collection until then. I was able to to actually pick these handwritten books up and "carefully" move them. They thumbed through them and showed us all of the cool stuff. Millions and millions of dollars on each rack that had to be moved. It actually made me nervous. It was cool, though. They keep them in locked and sealed rooms that are kept at a certain temperature and humidity.

On another note, in the history of science collection they have a separate wing behind lock and key that is just a Bible collection. Some are hundreds and hundreds of years old. No Gutenberg, but some really amazing stuff. Again, millions of dollars worth. We would carefully stack a rack full and move them and shelve them, then they would tell us that the rack we just moved was worth a fortune...some single Bibles on the rack worth a million each. Outstanding.

I've hear about it, but I havent had a chance to check it out since you have to like sign up for the tours and I always miss the right times :(. I've also heard they have some of the original plates Darwin made... very cool.

lexsooner
8/4/2011, 09:56 AM
Have you been? And have you ridden the Triceretops equipped a saddle?

It was a rip off! The thing didn't even move like the horsie outside of the grocery store.

sooner59
8/4/2011, 10:56 AM
I've hear about it, but I havent had a chance to check it out since you have to like sign up for the tours and I always miss the right times :(. I've also heard they have some of the original plates Darwin made... very cool.

Yeah they have some of Darwin's stuff as well. Galileo's handwriting was very cool. Probably the coolest book was a biology book filled with hand-drawn pictures cataloging tons of different plants from hundreds and hundreds of years ago. Has to be super rare. All of it is in color and the book is pretty large. It took a LONG time to finish that book.

SoonerAtKU
8/4/2011, 11:23 AM
I took several History of Science classes at OU, and they were all really good. Post-Newton and the Science and Civilization in Islam were my favorites. We got to go up to the collection to do research as well, which was great.

I did my research project on the Germ Revolution in Medicine, and I've never been prouder of an A.

soonercruiser
8/4/2011, 01:38 PM
http://electroncafe.wordpress.com/2011/05/04/scientific-process-rage/

http://boingboing.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/scienceragebig.jpg

So, that's why I got "published"???
Good 'un!

soonercruiser
8/4/2011, 01:40 PM
South Oval Science: I ain't come from no monkey! (actually I'm joking here, I don't see as much of that here as in the general population :) ).

Come on! With all the new science shows on TV, everybody knows that it was the periodic "visitors FOS" that were responsible for the jumps in evolution of "man".

tommieharris91
8/4/2011, 01:46 PM
This message is hidden because soonercruiser is on your ignore list.

Best soonercruiser post ever.