PDA

View Full Version : Give me one sleeper team for 2012

JLEW1818
8/3/2011, 10:12 AM
Last year it was unanimously Auburn

not saying your pick has to win the title

I'll go with Mississippi State this year. All hard games are at home. easy road. Great coach, but it will be Dan Mullen's last year there.

Breadburner
8/3/2011, 10:38 AM
Cascia Hall Commando's.....

Salt City Sooner
8/3/2011, 10:53 AM
I'll take WVU. The coaching situation has been resolved so you'd think that things would be somewhat settled on that front. As for their schedule, USF in the last game looks to be their toughest roadie, & they'll get a shot at a good credibility win at home vs. LSU. They did lose a good chunk of their defense so they'll probably have to win a couple of shootouts until that side gets it together, but they've got the offense to do so.

NormanPride
8/3/2011, 10:56 AM
South Carolina. They just got Garcia back on the team and have probably the most physically gifted WR and RB in the nation.

LVSOONER15
8/3/2011, 11:08 AM
South Carolina. They just got Garcia back on the team and have probably the most physically gifted WR and RB in the nation.

I'll second that. But also WVU has a good qb and rb coming back.

tfoolry
8/3/2011, 11:20 AM
Arizona State

icmwhOU72
8/3/2011, 11:32 AM
Baylor. They finish 11-1 and get a fiesta bowl berth as an at large

sooneredaco
8/3/2011, 11:34 AM
Northwestern... Heisman candidate at QB, leading BIG 10+2 receiver coming back. It could be a break out year. Ohio State is down, Michigan is... well... Michigan. Could be a decent year for the boys in purple

NOVSooner
8/3/2011, 11:37 AM
Arkansas

soonerrhea
8/3/2011, 11:48 AM
Virginia Tech...mainly based on their schedule. They have to replace Tyrod Taylor but look at this schedule

Sat, Sept 3 vsAppalachian State
Sat, Sept 10 @East Carolina
Sat, Sept 17 vsArkansas State
Sat, Sept 24 @Marshall
Sat, Oct 1 vsClemson
Sat, Oct 8 vsMiami (FL)
Sat, Oct 15 @Wake Forest
Sat, Oct 22 vsBoston College
Sat, Oct 29 @Duke
Thu, Nov 10 @Georgia Tech
Thu, Nov 17 vsNorth Carolina
Sat, Nov 26 @Virginia

OULenexaman
8/3/2011, 11:52 AM
Stanford

OU_Sooners75
8/3/2011, 11:55 AM
I'll go with Ponca City! They should have a perfect season.

Now, if that perfect season is 0-10, that is yet to be determined.

Ifthey can do half what they did in 7 on 7 football qualifying for nationals in Florida, then they should have a very good year.

Too bad for them they have to play offensive and defensive linemen!

tfoolry
8/3/2011, 12:14 PM
Stanford

Not really a sleeper as they'll start in top 5, but my pic to play OU for NC.

MojoRisen
8/3/2011, 12:23 PM
Arkansas

badger
8/3/2011, 12:38 PM
I have no idea who else they retain, but I know this is Keith Nichol's last season, so regardless, for the guy that pushed Sammie to greatness... GO MICHIGAN STATE!

Mississippi Sooner
8/3/2011, 01:02 PM
Last year it was unanimously Auburn

not saying your pick has to win the title

I'll go with Mississippi State this year. All hard games are at home. easy road. Great coach, but it will be Dan Mullen's last year there.

Seriously, if they can get past LSU, they could take the SEC West. And since the LSU game is a Thursday night ESPN game in Starkville, the Dogs could do it. I'll probably have to make the trip up to Starkvegas for that one.

kbsooner21
8/3/2011, 01:03 PM
Arkansas and West Virginia

SWEAT PEA HOLIEWAY
8/3/2011, 01:39 PM
Clemson

deweydw
8/3/2011, 01:39 PM
I'm going with North Texas. They had quite a few close games last season. I think they'll get over the hump this year.

Sabanball
8/3/2011, 01:58 PM
This one may surprise you and goes against conventional wisdom......Auburn. Here are my reasons: Very low expectations, they are in year 3 after a coaching change, They've had two straight top 5 recruiting classes, arguably one of the best recruiting and coaching staffs in the country. IF they can beat Clemson in death valley(like who hasn't beaten them there in recent times?) and State @home in Sept, they will very quietly start out 4-0 going to South Carolina on Oct. 1.

badger
8/3/2011, 02:04 PM
Sabz, a few questions on this oddball offseason, from your perspective as a Bammer fan:

1- Will Cam give up his Heisman or have Auburn's title retroactively revoked after the NCAA finishes its investigation?

2- How often do your little brothers in orange accuse you guys of cheating, and what creative ways do they say it?

3- When you first heard about the oaks, what was your initial reaction?

4- How soon can we schedule another home and home, or do you just want us to go ahead and join the SEC?

:D thanks for being such a fun resident opposing fan.

Sabanball
8/3/2011, 02:11 PM
Sabz, a few questions on this oddball offseason, from your perspective as a Bammer fan:

1- Will Cam give up his Heisman or have Auburn's title retroactively revoked after the NCAA finishes its investigation?

2- How often do your little brothers in orange accuse you guys of cheating, and what creative ways do they say it?

3- When you first heard about the oaks, what was your initial reaction?

4- How soon can we schedule another home and home, or do you just want us to go ahead and join the SEC?

:D thanks for being such a fun resident opposing fan.

1. No

2. All the time

3. Disappointed

4. Just go ahead and join the SEC

;-)

meoveryouxinfinity
8/3/2011, 02:12 PM
Florida......not

Augusta_Sooner
8/3/2011, 03:41 PM
WISCONSIN.....their first 6 games are at home and 8 of their 12 games are at home. Only 4 road games, Mich St., Oh St., Minn, and Illini. They have a shot at winning all of these road games. Not saying they will, but they have a shot. They got N.C. State's transfer, a very athletic QB, something Wisconsin hasn't had in forever. They end the yr at home vs. Penn St. Whoever made their schedule needs a raise.....

badger
8/3/2011, 03:43 PM
I would have said Wisky, being my home state and all, if not for the fact that their star running back foolishly decided to go to the NFL (and then went undrafted) and I think their QB graduated as well. Not easy to replace either.

texaspokieokie
8/3/2011, 03:48 PM
I'm going with North Texas. They had quite a few close games last season. I think they'll get over the hump this year.

I'm rooting for NT this year. Todd Dodge really flopped & left them in a big hole.

at least they have a NEW stadium !!!

I almost never root for tx teams.

mostly rice, cause they have higher entrance standards.

JLEW1818
8/3/2011, 03:50 PM
Baylor. They finish 11-1 and get a fiesta bowl berth as an at large

really?

i was at their bowl game last year in Houston

LOL

Flagstaffsooner
8/3/2011, 03:51 PM
texass, they may win 6 this year.

OUmillenium
8/3/2011, 03:59 PM
I don't use the sleeper unless the opportunity presents itself. I tend to rely on the kneelift.

signed,
Mr. Wrestling II

meoveryouxinfinity
8/3/2011, 04:01 PM
Miami?

All the talk has been around FSU..

Ruf/Nek7
8/3/2011, 04:05 PM
I'm rooting for NT this year. Todd Dodge really flopped & left them in a big hole.

at least they have a NEW stadium !!!

I almost never root for tx teams.

mostly rice, cause they have higher entrance standards.

They also got Trice who transferred from OU. He will look to start.

I am going on a real limb here and will say Utah. They avoid having to play Stanford and Oregon. They just need to show up against usc and Arizona. If they win those two they should win the pac 12 south and have the chance at the conference championship and then the Rose Bowl. That would be a huge accomplishment for them.
Other considerations: Wisconsin(Add Russell Wilson, as well as returning RBs Ball, White, and Clay) They have a potent offense but can defense make the necessary stops? Also, I see them starting the season fairly highly ranked so not much of a sleeper. West Virgina, South Carolina, and Michigan.

goingoneight
8/3/2011, 08:20 PM
Nebraska could make some noise in the BIG 10+2. Year two for Martinez and hopefully a better system for him to work in than "snap, stare down #1, GO!"

Jacie
8/3/2011, 08:40 PM
As preseason Top 10's Stanford, Nebraska and Arkansas are all disqualified from the sleeper picks. You want to predict a sleeper, you gotta dig deeper . . .

TahoeSOONER
8/3/2011, 08:51 PM
I hate to say it, Notre Dame

dvdcrr
8/3/2011, 08:52 PM
Never overlook the Akron Zips!

BrockLanders
8/3/2011, 09:13 PM
Tulsa. They lose to us first game. Win out including a 56-53 upset of the Pokes at home. Conference USA champs.

cccasooner2
8/3/2011, 09:47 PM
I hate to say it, Notre Dame

I sure would hate to say that.

TheLadiesMike
8/3/2011, 10:31 PM
Virginia Tech...mainly based on their schedule. They have to replace Tyrod Taylor but look at this schedule

Sat, Sept 3 vsAppalachian State
Sat, Sept 10 @East Carolina
Sat, Sept 17 vsArkansas State
Sat, Sept 24 @Marshall
Sat, Oct 1 vsClemson
Sat, Oct 8 vsMiami (FL)
Sat, Oct 15 @Wake Forest
Sat, Oct 22 vsBoston College
Sat, Oct 29 @Duke
Thu, Nov 10 @Georgia Tech
Thu, Nov 17 vsNorth Carolina
Sat, Nov 26 @Virginia

Wow, that is a very weak schedule.

TheLadiesMike
8/3/2011, 10:34 PM
Notre Dame.

They had close losses and a lot of injuries last year. Two recruiting classes that brought in more athleticism and guys better suited for Kelly's system. A lot of the teams they played last year have more question marks this year.

IndySooner
8/3/2011, 11:03 PM
Iowa. They seem to be really good in years they are supposed to be mediocre and vice-versa.

lasooner123
8/3/2011, 11:56 PM
oklahoma.

agoo758
5/29/2012, 02:43 AM
texass, they may win 6 this year.

cleller
5/29/2012, 07:58 AM
Clemson

My pick, too, if they qualify as a sleeper. Nothing to do with Brent, Dabo has these boys on a roll. Sammy Watkins is close to unstoppable, if he doesn't pull some suspensions for his MJ arrest.

soonerboy_odanorth
5/29/2012, 04:56 PM
Michigan. Brady Hoke the real deal. They will run away with the BigTenlevenelve this year.

SoonerorLater
5/29/2012, 06:38 PM
Da Utes..... I think things could line up for Utah. They have their best QB back, they miss playing Oregon and Stanford and they get USC at home.

CowboyMRW
5/29/2012, 07:09 PM
OK State baby!! B2B Big 12 Champs

soonerboy_odanorth
5/29/2012, 07:19 PM
OK State baby!! B2B Big 12 Champs

Heh. Would you care to make a wager?

I'm not enthralled with OU's chances to win the Big 12.

But you one-year-wonders won't finish top 4, much less B2B.

PalmettoSooner
5/29/2012, 07:52 PM

Garcia was kicked off in the middle of the season last year....Conner Shaw is QB and lead them on that run last year. As far as WR, they lose their top WR and the other guys still has a lot to prove. Good squad all around though.

PalmettoSooner
5/29/2012, 07:53 PM
My pick, too, if they qualify as a sleeper. Nothing to do with Brent, Dabo has these boys on a roll. Sammy Watkins is close to unstoppable, if he doesn't pull some suspensions for his MJ arrest.

Watkins has been suspended for the first two games (Auburn and Ball State). Good team but lost a lot of OL and DL this past year...I'm thinking they are a 9 to 10 win team.

PalmettoSooner
5/29/2012, 07:58 PM
I don't like them but I will say UGA...real easy schedule for the second year in a row....a lot of experience

LVSOONER15
5/29/2012, 10:06 PM
I'll have to go with Michigan, Hoke is doing a very good job so far.

ashley
5/29/2012, 10:11 PM
Baylor will be better than expected, WVU could be close to the top of the 12. But, watch La Tech beat the aggies and go on to a very good year. Aggies thing it's a gimmie and it isn't at all.

Salt City Sooner
5/29/2012, 11:36 PM
I'm with Palmetto. Georgia's got 9 coming back on D. Jarvis Jones (no, not that one) is a flat out stud. Established returning QB, & Crowell's solid at RB. If they have a downfall, IMO, it'll be because they've got some holes on the OL that need filling. As far as the slate goes, they couldn't have begged for a better one in that conference. No Bama, no LSU, no Arkansas, or MSU.

JLEW1818
5/30/2012, 09:51 AM
miss st stunk

NormanPride
5/30/2012, 12:00 PM
Yeah, this was my prediction last year. This year I think Georgia has what it takes.

BoulderSooner79
5/30/2012, 12:47 PM
In UGA's defense, they have had just crazy bad luck with injuries to starters the last couple of years (and we know what that feels like). If they could ever stay relatively healthy...

...then Richt can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt he's an under achiever :)

budbarrybob
5/30/2012, 12:51 PM
Texas. They get Ash to throw forward passes this year and their defense plays without names on their jerseys. Plus, rumor is they've been lifing weights in the off season O.O

8timechamps
5/30/2012, 05:50 PM
Washington. Not gonna win it all, but will make a lot more noise than they are expected to make. Coach Sark has proven he had a lot to do with Carroll's success at USC, and he now has the majority of "his players" on the roster. This is their break-out year out west.

Salt City Sooner
5/30/2012, 08:30 PM
miss st stunk

I think you're thinking of Ole Miss. MSU wasn't worldbeaters by any stretch, but they pretty much beat everybody that they should have. The Rebs on the other hand, were flat out horrible.

Herr Scholz
5/31/2012, 11:16 AM
Notre Dame is not a sleeper, more like slept. They'll be doing well to win 7 this year. Have you seen their schedule? Brutal.

Sat, Sept 1 vsNavy
Sat, Sept 8 vsPurdue
Sat, Sept 15 @Michigan State
Sat, Sept 22 vsMichigan
Sat, Oct 6 vsMiami (FL)
Sat, Oct 13 vsStanford
Sat, Oct 20 vsBrigham Young
Sat, Oct 27 @Oklahoma
Sat, Nov 3 vsPittsburgh
Sat, Nov 10 @Boston College
Sat, Nov 17 vsWake Forest
Sat, Nov 24 @USC