PDA

View Full Version : Natural Born Filibusters

soonerhubs
8/3/2011, 09:57 AM
No this is not about politics.

This is about those people who feel the incessant need to hear their own damn voice constantly.

This is about folks who spout off useless details about an experience and break up their monologue with "and........" and "so......" making it impossible to get a word in edgewise.

These people drive me crazy! Unfortunately for me, some are relatives.

Wishboned
8/3/2011, 10:00 AM
My ex wife is like that. Between talking constantly and interrupting constantly I told her once that talking to her was like trying to pull out from a side street in heavy traffic. I wait, and wait for an opening. Then I see one, pull out and then WHAM! she cuts me off.

Her mom was the same way. I told her that watching them have a conversation was like watching a NASCAR race. They're both jockeying for position, cutting each other off, doing a little bumping.

She was not amused.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/3/2011, 10:04 AM
So I was talking with a colleague who was on site training some new people. She said the account manager was on the conference bridge for the entire 8 hours talking the entire time. She turned the speaker down and just continued training.

Midtowner
8/3/2011, 10:05 AM
Try questioning one of these people on the witness stand sometime--an absolutely horrible experience.

soonerhubs
8/3/2011, 10:08 AM
My ex wife is like that. Between talking constantly and interrupting constantly I told her once that talking to her was like trying to pull out from a side street in heavy traffic. I wait, and wait for an opening. Then I see one, pull out and then WHAM! she cuts me off.

Her mom was the same way. I told her that watching them have a conversation was like watching a NASCAR race. They're both jockeying for position, cutting each other off, doing a little bumping.

She was not amused.

Awesome analogy!

I called her out for interrupting me yesterday. She proceeded to pout for 15 minutes. I enjoyed the short-lived reprieve.

Seriously, she's so bad that you can put the phone down for 30 seconds or more and she would continue on the other end of the line none-the-wiser.

soonerhubs
8/3/2011, 10:11 AM
So I was talking with a colleague who was on site training some new people. She said the account manager was on the conference bridge for the entire 8 hours talking the entire time. She turned the speaker down and just continued training.
Yep! It's as if they don't even care as long as they get to talk.

Try questioning one of these people on the witness stand sometime--an absolutely horrible experience.

Now THAT sounds painful!

Wishboned
8/3/2011, 10:18 AM
Awesome analogy!

I called her out for interrupting me yesterday. She proceeded to pout for 15 minutes. I enjoyed the short-lived reprieve.

Seriously, she's so bad that you can put the phone down for 30 seconds or more and she would continue on the other end of the line none-the-wiser.

The worst was when I was trying to watch something on television. She would always want to talk then.

This was before DVR's, so I would just record everything I watched on the VCR. That way when she started talking I could turn the television off and focus all my attention on her.

She would then accuse me of being an ******* and walk off.

OULenexaman
8/3/2011, 10:31 AM
There is a guy like this at the local watering hole. His name is Cris....we call him Incred-a-Cris. Non stop....same ****...over and over. Incredible.

OhU1
8/3/2011, 10:48 AM
When you do break into the conversation and get a chance to speak you will notice these people are fidgeting and looking at you with anticipation - they are not listening to you - they are merely waiting for their chance to resume talking.

3rdgensooner
8/3/2011, 10:50 AM
This is about those people who feel the incessant need to hear their own damn voice constantly.

This is about folks who spout off useless details about an experience and break up their monologue with "and........" and "so......" making it impossible to get a word in edgewise.
Add volume to this description and you have the loud talker with whom I work.

virginiasooner
8/3/2011, 10:50 AM

Try having one in more than one class! Back in the 90s, when I was taking courses for my current line of work, I had this one real blowhard in a class. He'd get off topic, and when you're spending 3 hours a night, twice a week, you don't want to waste any time. And then this guy pops up in the next class I took. I told the teacher about him, and not five minutes in, he asks one of his nonsensical questions. Teacher got right down to it: "What's your point?" Shut him up for the rest of the term.

soonerhubs
8/3/2011, 11:04 AM
When you do break into the conversation and get a chance to speak you will notice these people are fidgeting and looking at you with anticipation - they are not listening to you - they are merely waiting for their chance to resume talking.

This is so true! I just give up on talking to these people. They will even pretend to be interested in what you're doing just enough to find a chance to turn the topic back to their narcissistic world.

Wishboned
8/3/2011, 11:09 AM
There is a guy like this at the local watering hole. His name is Cris....we call him Incred-a-Cris. Non stop....same ****...over and over. Incredible.

Is he Cris...or Cliff?

k6GTZrcoWEM

OULenexaman
8/3/2011, 11:17 AM
Cris Lefairy....no ****. Wonder if there is a medical term for this condition?

Condescending Sooner
8/3/2011, 12:42 PM
I dated a girl for a while that when she called, I could set the phone down and go to the bathroom and get something to drink and she would still be talking when I got back. The relationship didn't last long.

SicEmBaylor
8/3/2011, 01:48 PM
My sister is this way. She won't stop to take a breath. She will go on and on and on for 2 hours and at the end get pissed at YOU because you aren't saying anything. The traffic analogy was spot-on. What's worse, in the middle of a conversation about one thing she'll go off on these little side-tangents that have virtually nothing to do with the main conversation but each side tangent takes 20 minutes.

I avoid talking to her like the plague.

NormanPride
8/3/2011, 02:04 PM
I enjoy these people for the most part. It can be very revealing to simply let them go - what was the saying about "better to be silent and assumed a fool...?" The best part is when they finish and truly have nothing to say. The fear and pain in their eyes as they are forced to savor the silence they have created, with no recourse to end it.

Delicious.

soonerhubs
8/3/2011, 02:05 PM
I actually tried to talk this way once to said hypertalker. My wife and I wondered if she actually caught on.

NormanPride
8/3/2011, 02:07 PM
Do not even attempt it. It is not a skill one can learn. Simply wait them out, then let their own silence destroy them.

soonerhubs
8/3/2011, 02:12 PM
Good advice!

soonerhubs
8/3/2011, 08:20 PM
Heading home tomorrow. I'm not sure what I'll do with all that dead air. Maybe I'll actually enjoy the radio in the car.