PDA

View Full Version : Coach Heupel vs. FSU Defense

yankee
8/3/2011, 09:25 AM
Looking ahead...anyone think his relative inexperience at OC is going to be a factor, since we're allegedly playing a very good team in a somewhat hostile environment? Personally, I don't think so. Thoughts?

P.S. One month till football. :)

rekamrettuB
8/3/2011, 09:32 AM
He should have a pretty good blue print of that defense to work from.

At the same time the FSU defense won't have a lot of Heupel film.

madillsoonerfan5353
8/3/2011, 09:34 AM
Looking ahead...anyone think his relative inexperience at OC is going to be a factor, since we're allegedly playing a very good team in a somewhat hostile environment? Personally, I don't think so. Thoughts?

Isn't Mark Stoops kinda inexperienced as a DC also? I think Heupel is the answer to some of the problems that some of us here have been mad about the last few years on the o?

:gary:

BoulderSooner79
8/3/2011, 11:37 AM
Isn't Mark Stoops kinda inexperienced as a DC also? I think Heupel is the answer to some of the problems that some of us here have been mad about the last few years on the o?

We all hope Heupel is even better than KW, but it's still an unknown. Mark Stoops' D improved as the season went on last year and they will certainly work on the breakdowns they had in Norman. I look forward to watching the chess match unfold - it will be a great test for Heupel.

OU_Sooners75
8/3/2011, 11:47 AM
We all hope Heupel is even better than KW, but it's still an unknown. Mark Stoops' D improved as the season went on last year and they will certainly work on the breakdowns they had in Norman. I look forward to watching the chess match unfold - it will be a great test for Heupel.

Oh come on. They looked improved because they finally got to play the ****ty teams of the ACC.

Whose champion by the way lost to Boise State and James Madison.

BoulderSooner79
8/3/2011, 11:59 AM
Oh come on. They looked improved because they finally got to play the ****ty teams of the ACC.

Am I still allowed to look forward to the game? Pretty please?

OU_Sooners75
8/3/2011, 12:03 PM
Am I still allowed to look forward to the game? Pretty please?

Not sure why such harsh sarcasm... Hell I'm looking forward to the game.

But facts are, the ACC sucks from top to bottom. Or at least it did the last few years. And VT lost to Boise State and James Madison before beating up on their ACC bethern.

The Maestro
8/3/2011, 12:06 PM

Exactly. FSU's defense was in the 100's two short years ago. And I have a feeling that Bob Stoops loves his bro, but knows EXACTLY the kind of defense Mark runs. It might be why that game was a blowout at halftime last year and we could have scored 60 if Bob didn't not only take the foot off the gas, but he didn't want to do ANYTHING but run the clock out in the second half to protect his brother.

Yes, it is the road, at night, their fans will be jacked. They could very well beat us. But if Heupel has us carve them up early like he used to...and if our defense can get an early pick on Manuel...it could be a nice road win that comes with relative ease as we pull away...but we have to learn to pull away. Not like last year where we let the likes of Utah State, Air Force, Cincy and Texas stick around in games they had no business competing in.

budbarrybob
8/3/2011, 12:22 PM
In keeping with the Chess match theme:

Heupel is to FSU as Bobby Fischer was to Boris Spassky

BoulderSooner79
8/3/2011, 12:32 PM
Not sure why such harsh sarcasm... Hell I'm looking forward to the game.

But facts are, the ACC sucks from top to bottom. Or at least it did the last few years. And VT lost to Boise State and James Madison before beating up on their ACC bethern.

Maybe it was the "oh, come on" comment. And Boise was a very good team last year and would have been an extremely tough opponent for us vs. what we got in Uconn. But I'm not talking about VT. I just expect FSU to be more prepared for us than last year where obviously, you don't.

delhalew
8/3/2011, 01:36 PM
That Mark Stoops Defense had just been installed. Now they have guys who know the system. Yes, the ACC is comparatively weak, and yes we should win.

I say they will give us all we can handle. Big game, on the road, at night...that's what football is all about.

MR2-Sooner86
8/3/2011, 01:43 PM
Heupel saw a Stoops defense every day during practice as a player.
Stoops knows his brother and I'm sure will be helping Heupel in what could be thrown his way.
FSU's defense wasn't that good last year.

If anything, I'm more worried about OUr defense stopping their QB.

NormanPride
8/3/2011, 01:54 PM
Their QB had one good game and a ton of mediocre to poor. He'll be improved, but he's not VY or Cam.

meoveryouxinfinity
8/3/2011, 02:17 PM
I don't think our offense will have many problems performing this year as long as we keep turnovers to a minimum (running back position) and we are able to have a mediocre season running the ball. Our O-line should be very good.

NormanPride
8/3/2011, 02:21 PM
Yeah, I really hope we get a good ground game going vs Tulsa so we can iron out the new RBs. Getting them ramped up is key to a great season. Without a good running game we are doomed.

pweitkem
8/3/2011, 02:29 PM
FSU's defensive backfield is no joke. They will challenge the OU receivers. If their D Line can get pressure on Jones it could be a tough game. But I don't think their D Line is up to the test. OU has multiple big plays and pulls away in the second half.

yankee
8/3/2011, 02:35 PM
I agree with what pretty much everyone is saying...but any of you see his inexperience in a big game playing into this? With playcalls in certain situations, etc. Like I said, I don't, but I wanna hear what you guys have to say.

meoveryouxinfinity
8/3/2011, 02:41 PM
I agree with what pretty much everyone is saying...but any of you see his inexperience in a big game playing into this? With playcalls in certain situations, etc. Like I said, I don't, but I wanna hear what you guys have to say.

I think it can only help. changing up tendencies, etc. is what matters most on 3rd and 4th down, right??

delhalew
8/3/2011, 02:48 PM
I see Josh as someone who has always thrived under pressure. Can we agree that he led a team to a championship on sheer will and desire. It would be hard to argue he relied on physical talent like the mentally useless Vince Young.

I say Josh will make precious few mistakes due to big game pressure.

The Maestro
8/3/2011, 02:48 PM
Some things to remember about how lopsided that game was until OU provided mercy.

It was 41-7 with 9 minutes to go in the third quarter. At half OU had 375 yards and FSU had 115--70 of that coming on the first drive TD for the Noles.

FSU got 132 of their 345 yards in the 4th quarter...when we held a 44-7 lead. From the opening drive until the 4th quarter they had 11 possessions and gained around 150 yards total. That included 9 straight possessions with 7 punts and two interceptions. Meanwhile OU scored touchdowns on their first four possessions and 7 of their first 10. Landry was 30 of 40 for 380 and no picks...so their DB's will have to show me a lot think we are not just way better than they are.

None of this means it will happen again. But this game was a blowout...and it was only not more of a blowout because of Stoops being nice and not needing or wanting to destroy them worse than it was. If FSU plays twice as good as they did last year and we repeat our performance, we still win.

OU_Sooners75
8/3/2011, 02:54 PM
Maybe it was the "oh, come on" comment. And Boise was a very good team last year and would have been an extremely tough opponent for us vs. what we got in Uconn. But I'm not talking about VT. I just expect FSU to be more prepared for us than last year where obviously, you don't.

Wow... So you like reading more into what is actually there... Then not take the time to read the quote in my post of whom I was directing my post toward?

Just to get back on track...

The comment was made that Florida State improved throughout the season.

My comment was to effect it had a lot to do with them playing the ACC.

Where the **** does any of that have to do with this coming season? Do i think FSU will he more prepared? Yes... But that has nothing to do with what I was talkin about.

delhalew
8/3/2011, 02:55 PM
Some things to remember about how lopsided that game was until OU provided mercy.

It was 41-7 with 9 minutes to go in the third quarter. At half OU had 375 yards and FSU had 115--70 of that coming on the first drive TD for the Noles.

FSU got 132 of their 345 yards in the 4th quarter...when we held a 44-7 lead. From the opening drive until the 4th quarter they had 11 possessions and gained around 150 yards total. That included 9 straight possessions with 7 punts and two interceptions. Meanwhile OU scored touchdowns on their first four possessions and 7 of their first 10. Landry was 30 of 40 for 380 and no picks...so their DB's will have to show me a lot think we are not just way better than they are.
I
None of this means it will happen again. But this game was a blowout...and it was only not more of a blowout because of Stoops being nice and not needing or wanting to destroy them worse than it was. If FSU plays twice as good as they did last year and we repeat our performance, we still win.

Breaking down that game tape must have been like shiving yourself in the nuts for FSU.

Let's also remember Norman can be a magical place.

Sooner_Tuf
8/3/2011, 02:57 PM
They have a good coaching staff and a lot of talent. Add in a big chip on their shoulder. We arent going to blow them out.

The Maestro
8/3/2011, 03:00 PM
Let's also remember Norman can be a magical place.

That is, without question, the main reason to think this could be tight.

Only 7 games have even been decided by 10 or less in Norman since our last loss their, and some of those doozies were Utah State, Air Force, UAB and Baylor...along with aTm in 2005 and 10 point wins over Texas Tech and Baylor.

OU_Sooners75
8/3/2011, 03:00 PM

He was a quarteback. He knows how to look at a defense and he knows his offense. He will be just fine. He has had some very good coaches helping to prepare him for this moment!

meoveryouxinfinity
8/3/2011, 03:01 PM

To me, that game was kind of a perfect storm. We played a GREAT game after having a slow start to the season. They played absolutely horrendous football. Any other day in Norman we beat them 42-20 or something.

delhalew
8/3/2011, 03:08 PM
That is, without question, the main reason to think this could be tight.

Only 7 games have even been decided by 10 or less in Norman since our last loss their, and some of those doozies were Utah State, Air Force, UAB and Baylor...along with aTm in 2005 and 10 point wins over Texas Tech and Baylor.

Totally. A big game in Norman is likely to be a prison rape.

GKeeper316
8/3/2011, 03:13 PM

heupel will be fine. better than mangino, long and wilson put together. i leave leach out because the dude is a savant level offensive genius.

OUInformant
8/3/2011, 03:17 PM
If anything, Heupel has shown that he can exploit defenses as well as anybody.

If our offensive line plays well, FSU won't be able to stop us, plain and simple. Their front seven, and their defensive line in particular, is going to have to be exceptional that day.

OUmillenium
8/3/2011, 04:20 PM
If anything I think Josh will be more creative in goal line situations against a quality opponent.

JLEW1818
8/3/2011, 04:25 PM
Florida State destroyed South Carolina, a team that beat Alabama, a team that beat Mich St, a team that beat Wisconsin, a team that beat Ohio State, a team that beat Arkansas, a team that beat LSU, a team that beat Alabama, a team that beat Penn state, a team who's coach is old.

delhalew
8/3/2011, 04:34 PM
Florida State destroyed South Carolina, a team that beat Alabama, a team that beat Mich St, a team that beat Wisconsin, a team that beat Ohio State, a team that beat Arkansas, a team that beat LSU, a team that beat Alabama, a team that beat Penn state, a team who's coach is old.

Lmao.

cccasooner2
8/3/2011, 04:52 PM

I know this response belongs in the South Oval. Is anyone else (still?) pissed at our incompetent, hypocritical government over their treatment of Fischer as the master criminal for playing a f**king chess game in Yugo? The propganda machine is so self serving on selective human rights violations by China, Iraq, Iran, and Texas. Hell, they even pardon a multimillion dollar Frog tax evader only because he had a wife willing to nibble Hillary's clit.

OK, rant over.

OU by 17.

soonercoop1
8/3/2011, 05:10 PM

Nah....I think his experience as a MNC QB at OU is all the experience he needs....

Curly Bill
8/3/2011, 05:43 PM
I'm excited to see our offense with Heupel as OC. I don't remember KW exactly setting the world on fire with his decisions made during pressure situations. I think Josh could be a breath of fresh air so to speak.

...and yeah I know: KW directed a record-setting offense, blah, blah, blah...A lot of those games were runaways with little pressure on him though.

OUTrumpet
8/3/2011, 06:12 PM
Exactly. FSU's defense was in the 100's two short years ago. And I have a feeling that Bob Stoops loves his bro, but knows EXACTLY the kind of defense Mark runs. It might be why that game was a blowout at halftime last year and we could have scored 60 if Bob didn't not only take the foot off the gas, but he didn't want to do ANYTHING but run the clock out in the second half to protect his brother.

We took our foot off the gas after that nasty hit on Brennan Clay on the OU sidelines. We were up 5 tds and pretty much had the attitude "let's call it a day". Noone wanted to play anymore after that hit.

mightysooner
8/3/2011, 06:15 PM
I saw a quote from Broyles the other day where he was asked what the differences will be under Heupel. He said "we'll look pretty much the same but not as conservative. We're going to go downfield more." I think Heupel will be more aggressive and creative and he'll actually take what the defense offers him and force them out of their game plan early. I'm looking forward to watching it. I think he'll know how to exploit a defense much better than K-dub ever did.

BoulderSooner79
8/3/2011, 06:33 PM
I'm excited to see our offense with Heupel as OC. I don't remember KW exactly setting the world on fire with his decisions made during pressure situations. I think Josh could be a breath of fresh air so to speak.

...and yeah I know: KW directed a record-setting offense, blah, blah, blah...A lot of those games were runaways with little pressure on him though.

You still have to credit KW for the fact so many games were runaways. He was excellent at having a plan to blow the other guy off the field quickly and avoid those head-slapping upsets that other elite teams seem to suffer. But I agree that when plan A didn't work, we sometimes looked lost in tight situations. I hope Heupel can keep plan A intact, but improve on when it doesn't work because the other guy is too much our equal.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/3/2011, 06:39 PM
I don't think this one is necessarily a coaching matchup question. A game like this, where you have the full attention of your players and both sets of coaches know what they are doing, is going to come down to who can "out-athlete" who. And I think we still have an edge there. Not huge like last year, but enough.

TheLadiesMike
8/3/2011, 06:54 PM

Please rewatch our last two drives in Bedlam 2010.

Dan Thompson
8/3/2011, 07:01 PM
I hope I can say, "Wow, where did that play come from", more than once.

Maybe we can run the BS statue of liberty play:)

VA Sooner
8/3/2011, 07:27 PM
We had problems with the middle last year. Adrian was still hurting and Box wasn't covering the middle so we got exploited by every other team except FSU. With healthy DTs up the middle and Tom Wort hopefully having a lot more experience with his gaps, I think our DBs will have a good day.

Offense... no questions. Running back by committee but that's actually a good thing in my mind. Running the diamond will definitely be amusing again this year!

Curly Bill
8/3/2011, 09:36 PM
You still have to credit KW for the fact so many games were runaways. He was excellent at having a plan to blow the other guy off the field quickly and avoid those head-slapping upsets that other elite teams seem to suffer. But I agree that when plan A didn't work, we sometimes looked lost in tight situations. I hope Heupel can keep plan A intact, but improve on when it doesn't work because the other guy is too much our equal.

I don't disagree with any of this.

Curly Bill
8/3/2011, 09:37 PM
Please rewatch our last two drives in OU-OSU 2010.

Watch 2 drives? Really? KW was here for how long, and 2 drives is supposed to be what...? A representative sample of his work? :rolleyes:

prrriiide
8/4/2011, 12:29 AM

Don't you need to go put some tape on your glasses or sumpin'? :D

AFA JH's inexperience...

I think breaking down game film at the college level since he was old enough to hold a football and QB-ing us the a NC and working alongside Leach, Mangino, Long, and KW are more and better experience than 2/3 of the D-1 OC's out there.

LASooner
8/4/2011, 01:00 AM
OU will have 2 game tapes to look at and 2 weeks to prepare for FSU.

SoonerofAlabama
8/4/2011, 01:02 AM
OU will have 2 game tapes to look at and 2 weeks to prepare for FSU.

Yeah, but FSU has been working out, have been watching film, and are real angry about last time.

I know 'cause I heard about it in several news articles. :mad:

;) :D

Curly Bill
8/4/2011, 01:04 AM
I've also heard FSU has been lifting weights.

MR2-Sooner86
8/4/2011, 05:34 AM
I've also heard FSU has been lifting weights.

They've always been watching film...lots of film.

rekamrettuB
8/4/2011, 08:28 AM
Please rewatch our last two drives in OU-OSU 2010.

I get frustrated w/ KW's goal line play calling and lack of in-game adjustments but overall he is an extremely good OC. Saying that I think fans are giving him way too much credit for these plays. 1 was a 15 yard in route that Kenney turned into an 80 yard TD. The other was an extremely safe play action that, if dropped/overthrown, would have sent this fan base into an absolute frenzy.

TheLadiesMike
8/4/2011, 09:22 AM
Watch 2 drives? Really? KW was here for how long, and 2 drives is supposed to be what...? A representative sample of his work? :rolleyes:

You could not remember KW "setting the world on fire" in "pressure situations," a vague term that I'm sure you define the same way our fan base defines a "big game". I simply provided a couple of examples for your memory.

Maybe down 17-0 in the Big XII championship and going with a play action bomb from midfield to get our first TD? Seems like "setting the world on fire" in a "pressure situation."

CrimsonCommando
8/4/2011, 10:02 AM
If the flats are open, Heupel will be the first person to notice them. FSU is so screwed.

MojoRisen
8/4/2011, 11:02 AM
There is a lot to be said about FSU not knowing it's new defense last year. They do now - I still think we have to much firepower but if we let them get up on us - watch out with that crowd.