PDA

View Full Version : Move over Alabama . . .

Jacie
8/3/2011, 08:01 AM
. . . move over Oklahoma and Notre Dame. There's another contender for Most National Championships.

Read an article about Big East football today and it mentioned a sign in a Pitt lockerroom that says, "Nine national championships . . . expect ten."

Nine? I know they won once. Let's see, the Pitt Panthers were national champions in 1976 under Johnny Majors before he left to coach his alma mater, Tennessee. But according to the article, the Panthers earned eight more from 1915-37 (and you thought 'bama fans were the only ones that did this).

So this isn't delusional fans, they have it painted on a wall to inspire Pitt players. Anyone ever attended a Pitt home game? Do they have the years they claim proudly displayed on their stadium for all to see?

Besides these guys, Alabama and Yale, what other schools claim more than 7 national titles in football? If Oklahoma is only #5 or #10 on the list, I would like to know, moreso if Stoops can put it all together and bring home an eighth title this year.

King Barry's Back
8/3/2011, 08:15 AM
This post just reminded me...

I remember we played them up there in about 1984 or so, and I saw all those national championships painted in their stadium and I couldn't believe it!

But most of those are from the very early days of college football, when the game was spreading from its northeastern roots, and other regions didn't have much chance to be competitive.

Kind of like college hockey now -- if you aren't in the North, you're not going to have a good team.

I don't in any way begrudge anybody claiming their championships from those early years, although others do disagree.

tcrb
8/3/2011, 08:23 AM
Brings to mind the saying "What have you done for me lately?"

rekamrettuB
8/3/2011, 09:36 AM
Pitt got nothing on Princeton and Yale.

MeMyself&Me
8/3/2011, 10:22 AM
But most of those are from the very early days of college football...

... when nobody was crowning a national champion. Ie, those early days of football championships are backdated.

Breadburner
8/3/2011, 10:37 AM
They do have an angry new coach.....Do they remember Tony Dorsett getting "Knocked the **** out"....!!!

70sooner
8/3/2011, 12:22 PM
I was at that game and it was one of the hardest/best hits I've seen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54EV42w4_t0

badger
8/3/2011, 12:37 PM
Texas A&M might have to claim some more soon to keep up with all these guys. I mean, 1939 is a year older each and every season they fail :rcmad:

SteelClip49
8/3/2011, 12:48 PM
Pittsburgh has no title claims before the AP began. Only the school claims the 7 others and no one else therefore their 9 total is just a local thing and printed in media guides.

They have 2 national titles: 1937 AP; 1976 AP & UPI.

OUVarsityXV
8/3/2011, 04:06 PM
Ok then we are claiming all 16! Sixteen-time National Champions sounds pretty good to me.

silverwheels
8/3/2011, 04:07 PM
I declare OU National Champions every year. **** Pitt.