PDA

View Full Version : Gundy recommends OSU fans to buy national championship tickets

Soonerpsycho
8/2/2011, 10:30 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/GSwaim/status/98584363129765888

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/2/2011, 10:44 PM
pathetic people they are

sooneredaco
8/2/2011, 10:47 PM
Uhhh... Ok...mike that's not a waste of money. Do you know how many cans they'd have to recycle to afford those tickets? Not to mention all the gas it would take to drive to Nawlins. All the moonpies, cheeto's and other snackums for the roadie....

Soonerson1975
8/2/2011, 10:47 PM
They have a better chance of seeing Hendrix playing at Orange Peel than the Pokes in the NC Game.

nighttrain12
8/2/2011, 10:49 PM
He obviously means to later resell them for a profit.

sooneredaco
8/2/2011, 10:51 PM
He obviously means to later resell them for a profit.

We really got you gooners this time! You have to pay us extra to get them! Hahaha![hairGel]

85sooners
8/2/2011, 10:56 PM
:D

Mike Stoops
8/2/2011, 11:25 PM
So they can watch Cale's team obviously.

Hot Rod
8/3/2011, 07:06 AM
Are they giving out "I attended the national championship game" rings as well?

AlbqSooner
8/3/2011, 07:30 AM
Are they giving out "I attended the national championship game" rings as well?

:D :D :D :D

Quik Sand
8/3/2011, 07:30 AM
Gets better every year with them.

soonerprices
8/3/2011, 07:34 AM
Who's a bigger ******, Swaim or Gundy. Definately Swaim.

yukonsooner
8/3/2011, 08:02 AM
......and they think Stoops is arrogant!

Keller Sooner
8/3/2011, 08:14 AM
Wear a hat out in this heat Mike, it's frying your eggs man! :)

NormanPride
8/3/2011, 08:31 AM
Holy ****. I'd be pissed if Stoops said something this stupid.

yukonsooner
8/3/2011, 08:34 AM
Will a 3 or 4 lose team make it to the MNC game? I think they will lose to OU, *, and atm. I maybe wrong, but I just don't see them having a "dream" season like last year.

badger
8/3/2011, 08:37 AM
Here' (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20110803_93_B1_CUTLIN563059)s more on that. Basically, Gundy was at the equivalent of a Sooner Caravan here in Tulsa, talking to diehard Poke Posse clubbers.

Interesting read, with some perspective from some Poke fans as well as Gundy going on about the transition from Lester to him and last year's 11-win season.

Sooner24
8/3/2011, 08:39 AM
They have a better chance of seeing Hendrix playing at Orange Peel than the Pokes in the NC Game.

Quote of the year!

:D

tcrb
8/3/2011, 08:40 AM
Once again, hope springs eternal in Stillwater, Ok., and a big Crimson steamroller will once again crush that hope back into oblivion come December 3rd.

XingTheRubicon
8/3/2011, 08:57 AM
It would almost be worth it to see them win a NC.

When anything even moderately good happens, they get that crazy look in their eyes like when a retard gets a yo-yo. If they went all the way to the BCS title game and then won it, I honestly think they would run out into traffic out of sheer confusion.

BillyBall
8/3/2011, 09:07 AM
Maybe they should fill up their stadium first before they start blowing money on tickets they are going to have to eventually sell.

texaspokieokie
8/3/2011, 09:41 AM
Holy ****. I'd be pissed if Stoops said something this stupid.

what did he say that was so stupid ??

Joe Kidd
8/3/2011, 09:57 AM
Once again, hope springs eternal in Stillwater, Ok., and a big Crimson steamroller will once again crush that hope back into oblivion come December 3rd.

The recommendation came in response to a fan's question if they should buy the tickets. When actually asked about OU specifically he was much more reserved. I don't think he is under any illusions that there is a massive roadblock at the end of every season. But every coach needs to make some comments to get the fans fired up at events like this.

texaspokieokie
8/3/2011, 10:17 AM
this^^^^

3rdgensooner
8/3/2011, 10:24 AM
How many losses for them in this schedule?

Sat, Sept 3 vs Louisiana-Lafayette
Thu, Sept 8 vs Arizona
Sat, Sept 17 @ Tulsa
Sat, Sept 24 @ Texas A&M
Sat, Oct 8 vs Kansas
Sat, Oct 15 @ Texas
Sat, Oct 22 @ Missouri
Sat, Oct 29 vs Baylor
Sat, Nov 5 vs Kansas State
Sat, Nov 12 @ Texas Tech
Fri, Nov 18 @ Iowa State
Sat, Dec 3 vs Oklahoma

bmrsnou
8/3/2011, 10:33 AM
Maybe he meant they should buy them as Christmas gifts for the Sooner fans in their lives.

I just hope that LosuR isn't the new Michigan. By that I mean ranked high at the beginning of the year, adored by the media, but you can count on them to lose at least two or three games. It's the media that made me hate Michigan, it's a family full of sheep loving aggies that has made me HATE osu.

Ruf/Nek7
8/3/2011, 10:34 AM
How many losses for them in this schedule?

Sat, Sept 3 vs Louisiana-Lafayette
Thu, Sept 8 vs Arizona
Sat, Sept 17 @ Tulsa
Sat, Sept 24 @ Texas A&M
Sat, Oct 8 vs Kansas
Sat, Oct 15 @ Texas
Sat, Oct 22 @ Missouri
Sat, Oct 29 vs Baylor
Sat, Nov 5 vs Kansas State
Sat, Nov 12 @ Texas Tech
Fri, Nov 18 @ Iowa State
Sat, Dec 3 vs Oklahoma

I say two for sure...OU and a&m with a chance of losing at * but i think they have too much offense to lose in austin

badger
8/3/2011, 10:46 AM
OSU fans should buy seasons tickets and national championship tickets... with the intent to sell both to Sooner fans for the final games of the season. :stunned:

picasso
8/3/2011, 10:49 AM
Maybe they should fill up their stadium first before they start blowing money on tickets they are going to have to eventually sell.

Yes! He should recommend they buy tickets to games played in Stillwater.

3rdgensooner
8/3/2011, 10:54 AM
Here' (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20110803_93_B1_CUTLIN563059)s more on that. Basically, Gundy was at the equivalent of a Sooner Caravan here in Tulsa, talking to diehard Poke Posse clubbers.
From that article:

With an Independence Bowl conquest of Alabama (a game Gundy still views as a critical building block for the program), the 2006 Cowboys had rallied to a 7-6 finish. Gundy's Cowboys have continued to generate momentum.

"When Mike was doing the play-calling, I thought he was micromanaging," Amilian said. "When he gave up the play-calling and focused more on the team as a whole, his stock went way up in my mind. Barry Switzer hired good coaches and let them do their job. I wanted Mike Gundy to do that. Now, he does."

Reflecting on the frustrating setbacks of the 2006 season, OSU fan Marcus Lemon says, "There was some grumbling from some of my friends."

Lemon's assessment on Tuesday: "Because Mike Gundy is one of us - because he is an OSU guy - I thought he would get more time than another coach would have gotten. I viewed Mike Gundy as having a chance to be like an Eddie Sutton, so I was willing to give Gundy a long leash."

"Realistically, Gundy has done a little better than I expected," said Lemon, an OSU graduate and a Tulsa banker. "Gundy really wanted the job and really loves the job. I became a believer (in Gundy) after we beat Missouri in '08. It was nice to beat Texas last year. Now, it's time to beat OU." First, please don't ever compare Gundy and Switzer.

Second, juxtapose that last highlighted point with Sooner fans feelings about Gary Gibbs back in the day....

tfoolry
8/3/2011, 10:57 AM
Here's the link to buy NC tickets sent out by Gundy:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/06004663DF09CC7F?artistid=959529&major catid=10004&minorcatid=27

GKeeper316
8/3/2011, 11:15 AM

hendrix is playin orange peel???? i'm totally there... i'll step foot in still water for that.

badger
8/3/2011, 11:19 AM
Orange Peel is defunct, much like OSU's status as a basketball powerhouse. In fact, both went out about the same time :eddie:

picasso
8/3/2011, 11:21 AM
From that article:

First, please don't ever compare Gundy and Switzer.

Second, juxtapose that last highlighted point with Sooner fans feelings about Gary Gibbs back in the day....

You know poke fans are quick to say that Switzer didn't actually do any coaching during his time at OU, he simply let his coaches coach. This is so far from the truth it's rdiculous.

They simply don't want to give him any credit.

badger
8/3/2011, 11:27 AM
You know poke fans are quick to say that Switzer didn't actually do any coaching during his time at OU, he simply let his coaches coach. This is so far from the truth it's rdiculous.

You know what Switzer did that Gundy is an epic failbot at right now?

Getting and retaining recruits.

Dumby Gumby will offer right away and kids being kids, will commit right away just so they have a place to call home after high school. Then, the big boys start offering if the recruit is legit, and realizing that they can be a big time program rather than orange widdle brudder school, they decommit, sometimes on signing day.

Switzer notoriously worked his arse off to retain recruits. Gundy has yet to show the same work ethic and willingness to go all out like that.

SoonerDood
8/3/2011, 11:28 AM

If I was 1-15 against somebody, I'd try to discredit them too;)

texaspokieokie
8/3/2011, 11:33 AM
You know what Switzer did that Gundy is an epic failbot at right now?

Getting and retaining recruits.

Dumby Gumby will offer right away and kids being kids, will commit right away just so they have a place to call home after high school. Then, the big boys start offering if the recruit is legit, and realizing that they can be a big time program rather than orange widdle brudder school, they decommit, sometimes on signing day.

Switzer notoriously worked his arse off to retain recruits. Gundy has yet to show the same work ethic and willingness to go all out like that.

how many has su lost this year ??
how many has OU lost this year ??

how do you know how hard Switzer worked ??
you were a little kid in WI.
everybody recruits early these days.
i think it started with mack braun.

yukonsooner
8/3/2011, 11:59 AM
Switzer isn't called "The King" for no reason. To mention Switzer and Gundy in the same breath is rediculous. Gundy has done absolutly nothing. He didn't make it as a coach in the big league and he had a lucky year last year (8 home games). Let's just wait and see how this year pans out for him. I don't think it will be a nightmare year, but a dream year, no way.

budbarrybob
8/3/2011, 12:00 PM
how many has su lost this year ??
how many has OU lost this year ??

everybody recruits early these days.
i think it started with mack braun.

Are you Leroy's younger less intelligent sibling?

texaspokieokie
8/3/2011, 12:05 PM
Are you Leroy's younger less intelligent sibling?

Nope, much older & much less intelligent.

gundy wasn't being compared to Switzer, some guy just said that they both hired good coaches.

wonder what has happened to LL ???

badger
8/3/2011, 12:09 PM

I think we've all heard the famous Switzer recruiting tales by now, regardless of how we were or where we were back then. He's very open when talking about his coaching and recruiting days. I have no reason to disbelieve anything he says, especially since he's also mentioned a few NCAA violations that fortunately have passed the statue of limitations by now :D

It's not just about losing recruits that teams are going after, it's about losing recruits that once seemed like solid verbals. And Gundy has lost more than his share seemingly each season. Stoops? Not so much.

Please don't make me track down the details. It's not like I really enjoy discussing OSU football or recruiting, it's just that I hear about it all of the time being here in Tulsa.

Mississippi Sooner
8/3/2011, 12:14 PM
I think we've all heard the famous Switzer recruiting tales by now, regardless of how we were or where we were back then. He's very open when talking about his coaching and recruiting days. I have no reason to disbelieve anything he says, especially since he's also mentioned a few NCAA violations that fortunately have passed the statue of limitations by now :D

It's not just about losing recruits that teams are going after, it's about losing recruits that once seemed like solid verbals. And Gundy has lost more than his share seemingly each season. Stoops? Not so much.

Please don't make me track down the details. It's not like I really enjoy discussing OSU football or recruiting, it's just that I hear about it all of the time being here in Tulsa.

The answer is simple. Get out of Tulsa. You and NP are too good for that place.

3rdgensooner
8/3/2011, 12:19 PM
I don't think the T-town media discuss OSU more than the OKC Media. However, they do discuss Arky more.

badger
8/3/2011, 12:24 PM
Maybe some Arky here and there... definitely hear tons more about TU (that's University of Tulsa, not whorn, lol aggies) than anywhere else. I know that they have 16 incoming in-state recruits, are switching to a four-man front on defense, and their new coach Blankenship (a local high school guy and TU grad) said GJ Kinne is the best college quarterback in the state.

3rdgensooner
8/3/2011, 12:26 PM
Maybe some Arky here and there... definitely hear tons more about TU (that's University of Tulsa, not whorn, lol aggies) than anywhere else. I know that they have 16 incoming in-state recruits, are switching to a four-man front on defense, and their new coach Blankenship (a local high school guy and TU grad) said GJ Kinne is the best college quarterback in the state.Good synopsis. I look forward to a big ole Sooner "welcome to college football" for Mr. Blankenship.

badger
8/3/2011, 12:30 PM
Good synopsis. I look forward to a big ole Sooner "welcome to college football" for Mr. Blankenship.

We gave the same courtesy to Dodge when he came to pUNT a few years back. ESPN Mag had a full article on pUNT preparing to travel to OU and to shock the world.

I think we won that game by like 70. This is what happens when teams that can't beat us try to beat us --- you end up eating away no clock whatsoever, and even as we sub all the starters, backups and scholarship players, our walk-ons suddenly get their own chorus of "Boomer Sooner" as they effortless breeze into the endzone. :D

Graham, whom Rice band famously labeled a d00shebag a few years ago, actually left TU with a lot of talent, so they aren't gonna be a pushover like pUNT though.

Mississippi Sooner
8/3/2011, 12:32 PM
pUNT

LMAO

3rdgensooner
8/3/2011, 12:32 PM
I agree, and, for the record, I will pull for TU the rest of the season. I am skeptical about Blankenship but don't wish him ill will. Except on Sept. 3rd.

Sooner Tri
8/3/2011, 12:40 PM
What do you expect? They've had yet another Championship Summer!

When anything even moderately good happens, they get that crazy look in their eyes like when a retard gets a yo-yo. If they went all the way to the BCS title game and then won it, I honestly think they would run out into traffic out of sheer confusion.

badger
8/3/2011, 12:55 PM
Eff it... as long as it was called into question, OSU apparently (currently) has eight commits for the 2012 class (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20110729_93_B5_OnWedn718969&archive=yes). It's not signing period of course, so they're all verbals and given Gundy's record of retaining, not sure what to expect at this point.

BUT, if we go based on the fact that they already lost a four-star back in July (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20110609_93_B5_Apromi841422&archive=yes), and are also having current players quit/transfer on them, like former highly touted local QB Deaton and a few others (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20110723_93_B2_CUTLIN261790&archive=yes), I'm not sure what to think.

But what really sticks out in my mind was the year before last:

http://bcove.me/zet2ix3n

Calvin Barnett ended up not being academically eligible for Arkansas, but he decommitted on signing day, ripping off his BTW orange and black sweatshirt to reveal the Arky sweater. Over at OP, they were fuming, thinking that he had an OSU sweatshirt on before ripping it off (it was BTW, but the same colors).

texaspokieokie
8/3/2011, 03:15 PM
OU has @ least 12 verbals.

some are going elsewhere for more playing time.

Switzer & his guys worked very hard @ recruiting, no one questions that.

when Switzer quit OU, you were about 6. were you a great OU fan ???

texaspokieokie
8/3/2011, 03:17 PM
that's really tuff; having to live in Tulsa !!!
:P wish i did !!!

badger
8/3/2011, 03:25 PM

I'm not sure I like the tone some of your posts have taken lately. I'm not sure what has set you off but I certainly don't appreciate it.

GKeeper316
8/3/2011, 03:35 PM
Orange Peel is defunct, much like OSU's status as a basketball powerhouse. In fact, both went out about the same time :eddie:

so you're saying hendrix won't be playing orange peel this year?

Flagstaffsooner
8/3/2011, 03:40 PM
"Buy tickets, I love to steal and lie. My puppet Gundy is an idiot but I am not.":

http://biggovernment.com/files/2011/06/bp366321_t_boone_pickens.jpg

texaspokieokie
8/3/2011, 03:41 PM
I'm not sure I like the tone some of your posts have taken lately. I'm not sure what has set you off but I certainly don't appreciate it.

don't think i can live, not being appreciated.:D

OUChampsBig12
8/3/2011, 04:17 PM
Well in my opinion, no teams fan from the Tiny Ten should purchase MNC Tickets. Just saying!!!!! Love me them Sooners!

champions77
8/3/2011, 05:11 PM
Gundy has for the most part, conducted himself well over the years, with little amunition for opponents bullentin board. However the stupid comments last night, along with these are starting to accumulate;

Authorizing the purchase (at a considerable expense) Championship rings for the 2010 pukes, proclaiming themselves as Big XII South Champions. I wonder how they will explain away the fact they didn't play in the Championship game in later years?

During the osu Alamo bowl game last year, Craig James or Jesse Palmer remarked "In talking with the osu coaches, they felt that they should have been the team playing Nebraska last year for the Big XII Championship"

Bob will probably not get himself worked up too much about last night or even the Rings, but I know that hearing what was said during the Alamo Bowl prorably made him crazy with rage. Bob is all about giving credit to your opponent, and for the osu coaches to whine to the ESPN guys, after losing at HOME to OU, is really, really stupid.

sooneredaco
8/3/2011, 05:15 PM
Here's the link to buy NC tickets sent out by Gundy:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/06004663DF09CC7F?artistid=959529&major catid=10004&minorcatid=27

LMAO

sooneredaco
8/3/2011, 05:28 PM
that's really tuff; having to live in Tulsa !!!
:P wish i did !!!

I love Tulsa. Great town, we have great music, good arts, great food, awesome golf and better people. We are all glad you don't live here.

LakeRat
8/3/2011, 06:19 PM

I was 8 actually and yes! I was a huge OU fan. My saturday afternoons were spent preparing to be the next jamelle hallaway (Sp?). I would get into my OU garb, with my OU jersey and the little OU short shorts that were popular in the 80's, and pitch the football into the recliner 5 hundred times during the games. As I did this, I would scream out, "ALL the way Hallaway!!" It would kill my dad as he was trying to actually "watch" the game.

I had the Boz haircut and everyone of my friends knew who the Boz and The King were. If you didn't, you weren't my friend anymore!!

So maybe not at OSU level with their fully operational half empty stadium, but I was a fan.

BTW, you guys plan on filling the stadium for at least one game this year?

sooneredaco
8/3/2011, 06:27 PM
Yea they'll fill it on Bedlam because OUr fans will scoop up any tix they don't use.

OSUAggie
8/3/2011, 06:44 PM

****, I'd lay down on the train tracks after that victory.

A Sooner in Texas
8/3/2011, 07:29 PM

It's that aggie swagger tricklin' down from Gumby!

sWagGIe!!!!!!!!!!!!![hairGel]

CowboyMRW
8/3/2011, 07:36 PM
Done and done. I'm glad I saw thuis posted here or I would've missed out on some early guarantees for the game. Did he happen to say who our opponent would be?

Sooner_Tuf
8/3/2011, 07:40 PM
Done and done. I'm glad I saw thuis posted here or I would've missed out on some early guarantees for the game. Did he happen to say who our opponent would be?

Troy or Houston, can't remember which.

CowboyMRW
8/3/2011, 07:44 PM
Not bad. We don't play them this year so they can't get an early season loss, so that should help them out that way. I wouldn't mind someone like North Texas or New Mexico State, heck even Rutgers would probably do

70sooner
8/3/2011, 08:04 PM
I love Tulsa. Great town, we have great music, good arts, great food, awesome golf and better people. We are all glad you don't live here.

yep, Tulsa is a very nice town to live in. I've lived in NE Oklahoma most of my life, grew up in B-ville. Nothing wrong with this part of the state....

Peach Fuzz
8/3/2011, 08:15 PM

That's probably why no one outside of the area likes it. I think its a gem of a city, also agree with the music scene and it is a more fit city compared to okc and such, but the people are the reason it's not great. So full of of themselves and for what reason? I understand being proud of your city, but it ain't no alpha world city by any means. Nothing personal, jmo.

Also do they really talk much about arky there?? That would suck more than listening to kansas football broadcasts ;)

MR2-Sooner86
8/3/2011, 08:53 PM
When anything even moderately good happens, they get that crazy look in their eyes like when a retard gets a yo-yo.

Jesus Christ that's funny...and oh so true.

Also do they really talk much about arky there?? That would suck more than listening to kansas football broadcasts ;)

I think Tulsa has one of, if not the, largest Arkansas alumni bases. You'd be surprised just how many Arkansans shirts, bumper stickers, etc. are around here.

Anyway, F OKIE LITE!!! (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147947) I wish nothing but bad things for their program.

CowboyMRW
8/3/2011, 08:59 PM
Anyway, F OKIE LITE!!! (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147947) I wish nothing but bad things for their program.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UyksELsu58g/TIu4kPd1mwI/AAAAAAAAAyw/ixBWfV2fpVg/s1600/sadness.jpg

70sooner
8/3/2011, 09:06 PM
That's probably why no one outside of the area likes it. I think its a gem of a city, also agree with the music scene and it is a more fit city compared to okc and such, but the people are the reason it's not great. So full of of themselves and for what reason? I understand being proud of your city, but it ain't no alpha world city by any means. Nothing personal, jmo.

bull hockey.....we are no prouder about our part of Oklahoma than others are of theirs.

goingoneight
8/3/2011, 09:20 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UyksELsu58g/TIu4kPd1mwI/AAAAAAAAAyw/ixBWfV2fpVg/s1600/sadness.jpg

Lemme guess... the new Leroy Lizard's avatar? :D

sooneredaco
8/3/2011, 11:10 PM

Never said it was. It's not Chicago, San Diego, NYC... Buts it's Tulsa. We love it, and when someone knocks it... I say glad you're not here

Peach Fuzz
8/3/2011, 11:56 PM
I asked a guy if he was from OK, he replied, "No, I'm from Tulsa." with a grin. I'm not sayin' I'm just sayin'

picasso
8/4/2011, 06:58 AM

Oh yes, this town is completely full of stuffy people.:rolleyes:

XingTheRubicon
8/4/2011, 09:34 AM
I don't know Pic, you're pretty stuffy.

CrimsonCommando
8/4/2011, 09:58 AM

Holy ****. This started making me le laugh until I cried. Way to go bro.

badger
8/4/2011, 11:25 AM
It's that aggie swagger tricklin' down from Gumby!

sWagGIe!!!!!!!!!!!!![hairGel]

It's cool. Didn't mean to get all sensitive there for a moment. He's just become very hostile toward poor badger lately. :(

;)

Regardless of whose going this year, and I definitely hope and pray its OU, I want to get SEC off its high horse this year. Love me them Bammers, so I might take this year as a hiatus if it's between them and someone besides us, but everyone else... either needs to not make the title game at all, or lose the title game. No SEC (unless its Bammer unless they're playing us), not this year.

Somebody beat them! NOW!