PDA

View Full Version : Not playing Nebraska anymore

dvdcrr
8/2/2011, 09:50 PM
Here's the NU perspective.... whats yours?

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/53431-sad-or-happy-we-dont-play-oklahoma-anymore/

Curly Bill
8/2/2011, 09:50 PM
F em!

That's my perspective. :D

silverwheels
8/2/2011, 10:01 PM
Like one of those posters said, the rivalry pretty much died when the Big 12 was born and the two no longer played each other every year. So it sucks, but it sucks a lot less than it would if the rivalry were still continuous up to July 1 of this year.

dvdcrr
8/2/2011, 10:05 PM
the conference really messed up when it killed the one and one in 96. Just threw it to the wind.. Doesn't make sense, but then neither does having the Big 12 office in Dallas, championship in Dallas, etc...

PLaw
8/2/2011, 10:11 PM
Sounds like they are more than a little bummed about it. Blame it on Osborn and Deloss, period. That said, it was never the same after '96.

Big XII really, really screwed up by not allowing an annual rivalary game.

Tejas is about to royally screw up and find themselves on an island. But, hey, they can schedule Rice, SMU, a directional Louisana school and feel good about themselves.

BOOMER

tfoolry
8/2/2011, 10:20 PM
Neb/Iowa is going to be a new rivalry. Hawk fans will swarm Lincoln when they play but will not bring the respect like OU fans did. I see that game becoming OU/TX north. Maybe they'll have to play the game in Des Moines or Ames in the future.

sooneredaco
8/2/2011, 10:27 PM
F em!

That's my perspective. :D

^^
this

85sooners
8/2/2011, 10:59 PM
corn cob faggits

oudavid1
8/2/2011, 11:06 PM
They left us, so they can go f**k themselves.

And regardless, (besides OSU), there is only one team that brings about a different shade of crimson....and I truly dislike that ugly shade of orange.

GKeeper316
8/2/2011, 11:19 PM
*** grabbin corn holers.

hell if i wasn't able to consistantly win in the big 12, i'd want to go to the big 10, where the competition is a whole lot weaker, too. minnesota? northwestern? indiana? illinois??

big 12 only has 2 consistantly cream puff teams in KU and baylor... hell even iowa state gets a seneca wallace every now and then to give those poor souls a glimmer of hope...

Football Jim
8/2/2011, 11:19 PM
[QUOTE=oudavid1;3308782]They left us, so they can go f**k themselves.

This

ouboomer1
8/2/2011, 11:44 PM
The Rivalry changed alot the past 20 years. There were just a few meaningful games like 2000, 2001, 2006, and 2010. Most of the rest were mismatches or both teams were not having great years like 2005 and 2009. Sooner fans under 30 never saw the rivalry in its golden years.

WA. Sooner
8/3/2011, 01:34 AM
I always liked NU. but they are the ones that chose to leave. I dont wish ill will on them, but will remember them as the ones that left

SoonerofAlabama
8/3/2011, 01:46 AM
Good luck, and good riddance.

MamaMia
8/3/2011, 04:02 AM
It was fun while it lasted. I loved the way it ended. Why should we allow them to play us every year, when they were the ones who took their ball and ran home?

OU_Sooners75
8/3/2011, 04:05 AM
Yeah they should feel sad, they are the ones that left!

That's cool though, we'll be in the big 10 before too long!

silverwheels
8/3/2011, 05:01 AM
Yeah they should feel sad, they are the ones that left!

That's cool though, we'll be in the big 10 before too long!

LMAO. The Big Ten doesn't want us.

Sooner in Tampa
8/3/2011, 05:48 AM

Nor do we want the Big 10

**** the bugeaters...they left...good riddance to a bunch of crybabies

jk the sooner fan
8/3/2011, 07:18 AM
i'll miss the rivalry - one of the more respectful rivalries in all of college football

they left - however misguided - because of the horns - not because of the sooners

i hope they do well in the big 10

their fans were great as we walked out of Jerry World last year after the Big 12 championship - couldnt have been more gracious

Jacie
8/3/2011, 08:06 AM
Neb/Iowa is going to be a new rivalry. Hawk fans will swarm Lincoln when they play but will not bring the respect like OU fans did. I see that game becoming OU/TX north. Maybe they'll have to play the game in Des Moines or Ames in the future.

I guess if I were from Hay Springs, NE or Van Wert, IA playing in the metropolis of Des Moines would be the highlight of my year . . .

But Ames???

tfoolry
8/3/2011, 08:28 AM
Anywhere between Lincoln & Iowa City; Ames & Des Moines were the only two places I could think of but maybe a home/away in Hay Springs & Van Wort would work.

delhalew
8/3/2011, 08:28 AM

Any conference would love to have us.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/3/2011, 08:34 AM
F the Bugeaters

jk the sooner fan
8/3/2011, 08:36 AM
i'm of the opinion that a strong contending football program relies on healthy rivalries

without them, you're just Wyoming......or Ball State

Keller Sooner
8/3/2011, 08:43 AM
A game, I, and most of the nation, looked forward to every year over the Thanksgiving Holidays. I blame the idiots of the Big 12 Conference for ending it. I don't care what you have to do, you keep that game on an annual basis and you keep it over Thanksgiving.

47straight
8/3/2011, 10:19 AM
Texas started it.

Nebraska finished it.

GKeeper316
8/3/2011, 10:44 AM
Any conference would love to have us.

okc/tulsa aren't that great of television markets, and all the other teams would get pissed at us for winning all the time, so no. not really.

delhalew
8/3/2011, 01:46 PM
okc/tulsa aren't that great of television markets, and all the other teams would get pissed at us for winning all the time, so no. not really.

Even if that were the only factor, which it is not, north Texas is ours.

silverwheels
8/3/2011, 01:53 PM
The Big Ten has shown no interest in OU. We're either staying put, going to the Pac-whatever, or going to SEC. Staying put seems like the short term solution.

delhalew
8/3/2011, 01:59 PM
The Big Ten has shown no interest in OU. We're either staying put, going to the Pac-whatever, or going to SEC. Staying put seems like the short term solution.

They've shown no interest in anyone other tba ND. They also know we wouldn't go, but if they needed teams, they'd be happy to have us.

soonervegas
8/3/2011, 02:01 PM
It's a bad deal, period. Once things cool down I hope the admins can put together some sort of consistent meeting. I wouldn't mind playing them 4-5 times per decade.

silverwheels
8/3/2011, 02:04 PM
They've shown no interest in anyone other tba ND. They also know we wouldn't go, but if they needed teams, they'd be happy to have us.

We wouldn't be high on their wishlist, even if they thought they could get us.

Sooner_Tuf
8/3/2011, 07:55 PM
As a Husker Fan told me the other day, The Big 10 would never take OU it's not an AAU University :D

royalfan5
8/3/2011, 08:27 PM
There's nowhere to play football in Des Moines.

TahoeSOONER
8/3/2011, 08:55 PM
The first rivalry I can remember is Keith Jackson making the one handed catch putting us in FG range. I still remember the family going crazy. I will miss the bugeaters like the crazy family member you got in trouble with at the reunion.

goingoneight
8/3/2011, 09:26 PM
The final BIG 12 Game was a great reflection of the OU/NU Rivalry. A championship on the line, Nebraska taking advantage of a sputtering OU who eventually awakens and steals their thunder. :D

Soonermagik
8/3/2011, 09:30 PM
I'll miss them... and they are getting so close to being a constant BCS type school again. They have classy fans that really understand football and its history.

I hope we can do some kind of a series every other year or something. I've always liked their program and will really miss them.

MeMyself&Me
8/3/2011, 10:25 PM
The final BIG 12 Game was a great reflection of the OU/NU Rivalry. A championship on the line, Nebraska taking advantage of a sputtering OU who eventually awakens and steals their thunder. :D

That's how I felt and why I couldn't miss attending despite hating jerryworld and not actually attending many games at all since graduating. Just couldn't miss that one. And the game didn't disappoint. ONLY way it could have been more fitting was if there was a NC on the line AND it took place the day after Thanksgiving.

I'll miss them... and they are getting so close to being a constant BCS type school again. They have classy fans that really understand football and its history.

I hope we can do some kind of a series every other year or something. I've always liked their program and will really miss them.

I feel the same. Went to games back when the rivalry was in full swing. Went to the last game this last year and the fans were just like I remembered... respectful and knowledgeable. To me, Nebraska was always the 'brother' program you HAD to beat but liked to see do well.

That said, I don't think there's a lot to gain by scheduling them a lot for non-conference now. We tend to target one 'expected' tough non-con game each year and a lot of the time, that target is in 'recruit' territory. Nebraska is not in any meaningful recruit territory. Do the 50 year anniversary of the 'Game of the Century' and that's about it for me. The rivalry is ended.

Good luck to them in the Big 10. I hope they give 'em hell.

oudavid1
8/4/2011, 03:22 AM
Hey Nebraska......F*** Texas!

Thats how much you mater to us.

jk the sooner fan
8/4/2011, 07:03 AM
Hey Nebraska......F*** Texas!

Thats how much you mater to us.

your knowledge of OU history saddens me

soonerboy_odanorth
8/4/2011, 10:04 AM
.. Doesn't make sense, but then neither does having the Big 12 office in Dallas, championship in Dallas, etc...

Wrong. It makes perfect sense having the Big 12 office in Dallas. Corn cobs always want to point the finger at UT, but Dallas is a heckuva lot closer to OU and A&M than KC is. So you move the offices in closer proximity to 3 power-brokers and further away from 1.

Likewise it makes perfect sense to have the championship game in Dallas. Let's see, freeze your butt off in early December in a a worn out NFL has-been stadium. Or move to an environment-controlled super-stadium with all the amenities one could ask for. And, I don't know how to break it to Huskerville, but the great state of Nebraska doesn't really produce much of anything for football talent anymore. NU's horses are coming from Texas and points south. You think those warm-weather athletes that are the difference makers for NU's program really get a kick out of the cold, windy, icy conditions of Arrowhead. No way.

Not to mention, does anyone at NU own a globe? I don't think NU fans care about that extra few hours of travel to Dallas one whit. That is unless they are collectively a bunch of whiney-tushies that in fact don't actually take pride in how well they travel as a fan base as they claim. And that also is if they don't notice Indianapolis is 647 miles away... almost exactly the same as Dallas (640.) (And for conference offices, for travel from Lincoln, Chicago is 120 miles closer than Dallas, but is 320 further than KC... that is.. the admin is still flying, rather than driving.)

Bottom line... the bitter old men administrating NU have a significant problem with change management and that's all there is to it. (And I'll say it again, they also have very little foresight in that they blew a chance to have their very own "HuskerVision". Now they get to share equally, which they somehow suddenly take to be a good thing, when in the BigXII they were one of the top 3 "weighted pay" teams.)