PDA

View Full Version : ? for weatherman types

ouwasp
8/2/2011, 05:11 PM
When is this infernal weather likely to end? I can look at a calendar and figure October will be decent; but then I remember some pretty warm days in that month as well.

I'm just wondering what will cause this stupid heat wave to end? That "high-pressure dome" we've heard about on the forecasts is getting to be as loathsome as hearing about Islam being a "religion of peace"! :mad:

Breadburner
8/2/2011, 05:12 PM
A large hurricane from the gulf could push it out of here if things went the right direction.....

GKeeper316
8/2/2011, 05:14 PM
A large hurricane from the gulf could push it out of here if things went the right direction.....

they wont. the high pressure ridge hangin out over us is too strong for any lingering hurricanes or tropical storms to displace.

Breadburner
8/2/2011, 05:15 PM
Yes it could....If it was the right storm and large enough.....

GKeeper316
8/2/2011, 05:25 PM
my meteorologist friend told me when i asked last week if a gulf hurricane could help us out.

he said it would have to move across texas without breaking up to move this high pressure system... its one of the strongest hes ever seen.

GrapevineSooner
8/2/2011, 05:42 PM
Yes it could....If it was the right storm and large enough.....

What I emphasized being the operative term.

The problem is the ridge spreads from Georgia to New Mexico from east to west. And from Texas up through Kansas and Missouri.

The only hope is for it to weaken and then move.

badger
8/2/2011, 05:48 PM
I've been having fun tracking the weather lately :mad:

The problem is that La Nina was particularly strong this year. For those of you that remember El Nino, this is the opposite. El Nino causes more wet weather in the Midwest, while La Nina causes drier weather in the Midwest.

Droughts are extremely hard to shake. Let's say you put a plastic bag over a happy green plant. You'll get the moisture from the happy green plant trapped in the plastic bag during the day and eventually, that moisture might get too excessive and fall back down to the happy green plant.

If you have a brown, dead plant, there's no moisture if you put a plastic bag over it. In fact, the plastic bag might just make the poor dead plant look even more pathetic.

Those are dumb, unscientific badger terms. But it kind of illustrates how dry, hot Oklahoma and neighboring states are stuck in a crappy cycle, where heat leads to drought, and drought leads to heat.

I have also heard experts say that this type of thing is cyclical, that we are paying for having a green, wet, and relatively cool start to the summer last year. When plenty of greenery vegetation built up last growing season, it died off over the cold, snowy winter. And now, there's not tons of greenery vegetation, but rather, tons of dead vegetation that just fuels the wildfires.

Now, the governor has asked us to pray for rain, and I have every Sunday in church. But the fact of the matter is that praying for rain in July and August in the middle of a drought is like OSU praying for national football title in a season where they've already lost to Nebraska --- it just doesn't happen. Longshot outside shot? Maybe, if every other team falls in the nation and OSU suddenly has a better record. But the equivalent of that for Oklahoma would be for a hurricane to re-route and we suddenly have a torrential downpour. The odds are very steep.

August is typically a hot, dry month, much like summer months typically don't get as much rain and have higher temperatures. To expect relief in the middle of a big arse drought in the middle of summer would be like... yes, like OSU expecting its weak arse non-traditional power football team to be as good as its rasslin' program. You aren't gonna win 50 national titles in football, dum-dums. You're not going to win one!

And alas, Oklahoma is not going to get strong relief from this weather crap anytime soon.

cccasooner2
8/2/2011, 05:50 PM
The weathermen say this is the best time to have sex, so consider yourself lucky and enjoy the slip and slide.

REDREX
8/2/2011, 05:51 PM
Talk is Tulsa could hit 117 on Wed---

87sooner
8/2/2011, 05:53 PM
it all changes sept 23rd

pphilfran
8/2/2011, 06:06 PM
I usually get a week or two of good dove hunting before a weather front drops the temp and brings some rain...

I will go with Sept 10th....

tcrb
8/2/2011, 06:19 PM

It's extremely rare that a low pressure system displaces a high pressure system. In fact, it's almost always the opposite. High pressure always moves towards low, just like letting the air outta your tires. The high pressure system that is now sitting over the southern plains is going to push any tropical storm activity to the east, just like it's going to do this week and next with Emily: Link (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at5.shtml?5-daynl#contents)

SoonerBread
8/2/2011, 06:37 PM
At 5 o'clock in Tulsa today, and according to the time and weather phone number (918.477.1000) the temp here was 117. Not sure where they get that info from, but there it is.

Turd_Ferguson
8/2/2011, 06:41 PM
My pickup thermometer showed 106 at 1130 this morning...

soonercruiser
8/2/2011, 06:49 PM
Where's a good arctic front when you need one?
:( + dripping drops

SoonerStormchaser
8/2/2011, 07:06 PM
Where I'm at we're at 120 by noon...

...so I'm guessing mid-October before I get below 100.

87sooner
8/2/2011, 08:32 PM
I usually get a week or two of good dove hunting before a weather front drops the temp and brings some rain...

I will go with Sept 10th....

this is true about 19 times outta 20....
this year is different....
it'll prolly be too damn hot to hunt doves..
it should be easy to find'em tho....just hunt the waterholes
might be one every 10 miles or so...

Jacie
8/2/2011, 08:57 PM
On the other side of the equator, there was rain and snow at one of the driest places on Earth.

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/wireStory?id=14207486

. . . fractions of an inch of rain have done major damage . . .

oumartin
8/2/2011, 08:59 PM
this time next week we are only barely supposed to be in the nineties with thunderstorms likely.

87sooner
8/2/2011, 09:00 PM
this time next week we are only barely supposed to be in the nineties with thunderstorms likely.

which forecast you lookin at?

oumartin
8/2/2011, 09:06 PM
which forecast you lookin at?

it was the weather.com 10 day forcast but now they've gone from 91, 93, 89 to 100's and storm chances.

badger
8/2/2011, 09:40 PM
Tulsa's official high (TV weather dudes will say whatever they wanna, including Gary England issuing his own watches and warnings, lol) was 112 today according to the National Weather Service. There are chances of rain for the rest of the week here, so perhaps... maybe... SOME relief???

87sooner
8/2/2011, 09:44 PM
Tulsa's official high (TV weather dudes will say whatever they wanna, including Gary England issuing his own watches and warnings, lol) was 112 today according to the National Weather Service. There are chances of rain for the rest of the week here, so perhaps... maybe... SOME relief???

careful what you wish for...
a few days ago.....one of my farms was hit with a rogue shower...prolly about 1/2 inch...
when the sun came out....it was so freakin hot/steamy it felt like mars..
you could see the steam rising from the ground..

we need 3 straight days of rain and a return to low 90s....

mgsooner
8/2/2011, 10:04 PM
Record-Setting Low Temperatures Across Northern Oklahoma
Posted: Feb 10, 2011 7:01 AM CST Updated: Feb 10, 2011 4:44 PM CST

Staff and Wire Reports

NOWATA, Oklahoma -- After a second winter storm brought heavy snow to Oklahoma on Wednesday, residents woke up Thursday to bitterly cold temperatures across northern Oklahoma.

The News On 6 WARN Team is reporting clear skies across the state Thursday morning and temperatures as low as 28 below zero in Bartlesville and 24 below in Ponca City. Stillwater is at 14 below while Enid is at 11 below.

The new state record, however, was set in Nowata with a temperature of minus 31 degrees. The temp was recorded by Mesonet, but the National Weather Service has agreed to honor it as the new state low.

The temperature in Tulsa was 5 below while Lawton reported 1 below and Oklahoma City was at 5 above zero.

The National Weather Service in Tulsa issued the following statement:

AN ALL TIME RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF 28 DEGREES BELOW ZERO WAS SET AT BARTLESVILLE, OKLAHOMA THIS MORNING AT 7:19 AM. THE PREVIOUS ALL TIME RECORD LOW WAS 25 BELOW ZERO JANUARY 22ND 1930. THIS SMASHES THE PREVIOUS RECORD FOR THIS DATE OF 13 BELOW ZERO SET IN 1929. THIS ALSO SETS THE ALL TIME RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE FOR THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA. THE PREVIOUS RECORD LOW WAS 27 DEGREES BELOW ZERO SET AT VINITA, OK IN 1905 AND AT WATTS, OK IN 1930.

News On 6 meteorologist Alan Crone says things will eventually warm up but these bitterly cold temperatures are impacting Thursday's wind chill factors too.

"The air mass remains very cold and morning readings have dropped below zero in many locations over the snow pack of northern Oklahoma, including the Tulsa metro," said Alan Crone. "Wind chill values will also be from 0 to -15 over the next few hours."

So we could set an all time low and an all time high in the same calendar year. Incredible.

SoonerNate
8/2/2011, 11:07 PM
It's extremely rare that a low pressure system displaces a high pressure system. In fact, it's almost always the opposite. High pressure always moves towards low, just like letting the air outta your tires. The high pressure system that is now sitting over the southern plains is going to push any tropical storm activity to the east, just like it's going to do this week and next with Emily: Link (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at5.shtml?5-daynl#contents)

Hopefully. Some of the models have Emily heading right at us. It all depends on what happens when it goes over Hispanola (Dominican/ Haiti) and their 8K feet mountains. If it weakens it will track west. If it strengthens it will likely head east and not hit land.

As for the heat you guys are feeling I really feel for you. I was up there all of July and it was hot. Hopefully you'll get a break sooner than later.

bigfatjerk
8/3/2011, 01:48 AM
I would take this extreme heat over the cold weather we've had in the winter the last couple years.

pphilfran
8/3/2011, 09:52 AM
this is true about 19 times outta 20....
this year is different....
it'll prolly be too damn hot to hunt doves..
it should be easy to find'em tho....just hunt the waterholes
might be one every 10 miles or so...

I usually hunt near Tipton and the Salt Fork of the Red....a few years ago there was very little water...we found one hole of water at a river bend....three of us backed up to the river bank and slaughtered those suckers...they were blowing in from down river at a high rate of speed and then crammed on the brakes when they spotted the water....then the evasive action when they spotted us...cram in three shells and pop em off...load in three shells...load in three shells....load in three more...I couldn't even touch the barrel because it was so hot...

Spectacular hunting for about a week...

texaspokieokie
8/3/2011, 09:56 AM
i noticed that CA had the highest & lowest temps in the lower 48, again yesterday.

interesting. (to me anyway)

GKeeper316
8/3/2011, 10:02 AM
i noticed that CA had the highest & lowest temps in the lower 48, again yesterday.

death valley is always going to be one of, if not the, hottest parts of america, while the bay is going to stay nice and cool.

lexsooner
8/3/2011, 10:08 AM
That "high-pressure dome" we've heard about on the forecasts is getting to be as loathsome as hearing about Islam being a "religion of peace"! :mad:

Or hearing about global warming.

texaspokieokie
8/3/2011, 10:14 AM
these locations are, blythe, low desert in eastern ca. actually, on the river with much greenery.

bodie state park, in mountains, but not extremely high. about 8400 ft.
i woulda guessed the low temp would be up in the 14s, but it is often bodie state park.

texaspokieokie
8/3/2011, 10:16 AM
death valley is always going to be one of, if not the, hottest parts of america, while the bay is going to stay nice and cool.

very true about death valley.
but not this time.

pphilfran
8/3/2011, 10:18 AM

They also have the highest and lowest points in the Continental US...and they are only a little over a 100 miles from each other...

texaspokieokie
8/3/2011, 10:34 AM
They also have the highest and lowest points in the Continental US...and they are only a little over a 100 miles from each other...

yep, but those are not where the extreme temps were yesterday.
i know, you didn't say they were.

i',ve been to both. @ whitney you can drive up to about 9000 ft, & that's as high as i've been. my sister & bro-in-law climbed to the top, once many many years ago when they were young. they said it's not all that tuff, but it is an "overnighter". they lived in Ridgecrest, approx 80 miles away.

been in death valley several times, but don't remember how low we went. i do remember passing a sign going to lower elevations that said "sea level".

pphilfran
8/3/2011, 10:39 AM
yep, but those are not where the extreme temps were yesterday.
i know, you didn't say they were.

i',ve been to both. @ whitney you can drive up to about 9000 ft, & that's as high as i've been. my sister & bro-in-law climbed to the top, once many many years ago when they were young. they said it's not all that tuff, but it is an "overnighter". they lived in Ridgecrest, approx 80 miles away.

been in death valley several times, but don't remember how low we went. i do remember passing a sign going to lower elevations that said "sea level".

I know they weren't the highs for yesterday...but I bet if you put a thermometer on top of Whitney and made it a reporting site it would be close to the low every day...Death Valley is appropriately named...

Never been up Whitney...

texaspokieokie
8/3/2011, 10:40 AM
I know they weren't the highs for yesterday...but I bet if you put a thermometer on top of Whitney and made it a reporting sight it would be close to the low every day...Death Valley is appropriately named...

Never been up Whitney...

agree.

texaspokieokie
8/3/2011, 10:47 AM
going up to "whitney portals" is very nice. at 9000' it's really cool.
there's 2 little fishing pools up there, (melted snow) & you can see the fish.

there's a place to buy snacks & drinks, including beer. lotta camping up there.
have been up there & played in the snow, but it's closed in the winter.

climbed "telescope peak" when we were very young, summer of 56. it's about 11,000', but mostly just a long walk, 7 miles each way. no trees like on whitney.
gets pretty steep near the top.

pphilfran
8/3/2011, 10:56 AM
going up to "whitney portals" is very nice. at 9000' it's really cool.
there's 2 little fishing pools up there, (melted snow) & you can see the fish.

there's a place to buy snacks & drinks, including beer. lotta camping up there.
have been up there & played in the snow, but it's closed in the winter.

climbed "telescope peak" when we were very young, summer of 56. it's about 11,000', but mostly just a long walk, 7 miles each way. no trees like on whitney.
gets pretty steep near the top.

We went through there in the late 50's but I was too young to remember too much...I have skied Tahoe and Squaw but never been there in the summer...I spent my summers in Colo....

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii187/pphilfran/001-2.jpg

Peach Fuzz
8/3/2011, 10:56 AM
On the other side of the equator, there was rain and snow at one of the driest places on Earth.

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/wireStory?id=14207486

. . . fractions of an inch of rain have done major damage . . .

The atacama desert has been hit hard this year winter. They just had 34 inches of snow around July 11th... very strange when they average .1 mm a year

Flagstaffsooner
8/3/2011, 10:58 AM
Here, we have had an unusuaually mild Summer. I aint bitchin. High of 79 Monday and almost an inch of rain.

texaspokieokie
8/3/2011, 10:58 AM
We went through there in the late 50's but I was too young to remember too much...I have skied Tahoe and Squaw but never been there in the summer...I spent my summers in Colo....

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii187/pphilfran/001-2.jpg

is that you, & if so, where ???

Tulsa_Fireman
8/3/2011, 11:00 AM
is that you, & if so, where ???

In front of a rock.

Duh.

pphilfran
8/3/2011, 11:01 AM
Me...probably in about 63 or 64...

Part way up Engineer Pass near Lake City, Colo...

We went up in pos 2 wheel drive pick up with a granny gear...

pphilfran
In front of a rock.

Duh.

That is a snow bank...

Duh....

waynepayne

and you wonder why I say the things I do....

texaspokieokie
8/3/2011, 11:03 AM

Oh. Granny gear is good if engine doesn't overheat.

i've only been to CO in winter. Don't ski, but can shiver.

pphilfran
8/3/2011, 11:17 AM
and you wonder why I say the things I do....

Come in big mouth...post a pic of you when you were 10...

Dare ya....

waynepayne
8/3/2011, 11:24 AM
Come in big mouth...post a pic of you when you were 10...

Dare ya....

I'll find one for ya but I should just warn you. Its going to exceed the cuteness bandwidth of this board...

;)

pphilfran
8/3/2011, 11:37 AM
I'll find one for ya but I should just warn you. Its going to exceed the cuteness bandwidth of this board...

;)

We will see....

badger
8/3/2011, 12:28 PM
down to 83 this morning. whew! only down to 87 yesterday here.

:mad: buuuuut, already 106 now. so crazy.

Jacie
8/3/2011, 06:48 PM

I've gone over Engineer Pass several times on different trips to Colorado. My first time was the most memorable, four of us in an open top 52 Willy's Jeep. Thought we'd make a day trip from Lake City to Ouray. We didn't get back to LC till 2:00 am after making the 25-mile drive over the pass and returning 150 miles by paved highway. It was some trip . . .