PDA

View Full Version : When does Fall practice start?

olevetonahill
8/2/2011, 04:47 PM
And with this crazy heat, will they keep it indoors? at Night? or just make sure every one dont over do it?

SoonerofAlabama
8/2/2011, 04:53 PM
August 3rd or tomorrow is what I have heard. Practices at OU are beginning at 9:00 A.M. for now and they are outside.

cvsooner
8/2/2011, 05:00 PM
I read somewhere online recently first day of practice would be Aug. 4. Haven't seen anything else about it.

sooneredaco
8/2/2011, 05:00 PM
This is supposed to be the hottest week of the year. Crappy week to start up. Especially at 9:00am! It's at least 100 by then. I'm assuming full pads right? Well that's why they get paid the big bucks. Oh wait...

silverwheels
8/2/2011, 05:01 PM
Players report tomorrow, first practice is Thursday.

SoonerofAlabama
8/2/2011, 05:02 PM
This is supposed to be the hottest week of the year. Crappy week to start up. Especially at 9:00am! It's at least 100 by then. I'm assuming full pads right? Well that's why they get paid the big bucks. Oh wait...

Tulsa is starting at 7:30 A.M., OSU at 8:15 A.M.

NormanPride
8/2/2011, 05:05 PM
As long as nobody gets injured, heat can forge a team.

BoulderSooner79
8/2/2011, 05:10 PM
Heat is one thing, but over 100 is dangerous. Hope they have alternate plans for indoors and/or earlier starts.

olevetonahill
8/2/2011, 05:14 PM
Yea , I dont really care which team it is, I want em all to be careful and make sure everyone stays healthy.

Just read this about a HS coach who died the 1st day :eek:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Texas-coach-dies-after-extreme-heat-on-first-day?urn=highschool-wp4201

yukonsooner
8/2/2011, 05:24 PM
After watching this evening's weather, it sounds like they better get used to it because it appears they will be playing the Sept games in much of the same type of heat. Don't think the Florida weather in mid-Sept will be anything new to our guys.

cvsooner
8/2/2011, 05:26 PM
Getting accustomed to the heat might prove to be a competitive advantage.

CBUS_SOONER
8/2/2011, 05:35 PM
not soon enuff

MamaMia
8/2/2011, 06:14 PM
Fall in the northern hemisphere in 2011 begins on Friday September 23, so technically its Summer practice.

edited because I had November on the brain. :P Thanks silverwheels. :)

silverwheels
8/2/2011, 06:28 PM
You mean September?

goingoneight
8/2/2011, 06:45 PM
They go through this every year. Trust me... there's no difference between 98 and 114 when you've been in full pads for two or three hours playing the toughest sport on campus.

OU_Sooners75
8/2/2011, 08:37 PM
They go through this every year. Trust me... there's no difference between 98 and 114 when you've been in full pads for two or three hours playing the toughest sport on campus.

Yes there is a big difference. The only comparison is that bit temps are hot.

The 114 temp can dehydrate you a lot faster and you won't even know it.

either tell is very hot to be in full pads

As long as everyone keeps hydrated and take plenty of breaks they should be fine.

BoulderSooner79
8/2/2011, 08:38 PM

Can't buy that one. The human body is ~98.6 and above that temp, the heat flows the wrong way. A few degrees makes a big difference. I'm sure the coaches have dealt with August heat before, but this year is ridiculous.

When I read about Bear Bryant (the good old days) and how he would run practice in blazing heat and *not allow water*, it makes me cringe. I think they got away with it back then because lineman didn't weigh 300lbs+. Fortunately, much more is known now about the human body under the stress of intense exercise.

MamaMia
8/2/2011, 08:52 PM
You mean September?Yes I did mean September. I better change that as not to confuse anyone. :D

silverwheels
8/2/2011, 09:24 PM
I wish it was November, too. Weather-wise, anyway.

oudavid1
8/2/2011, 09:34 PM
an no, the Everest Center is not air conditioned all that much.

SoonerGrant
8/2/2011, 09:36 PM
Why don't they just go to the indoor facility a few hours after practice starts. That way they can practice a bit longer? I mean, can't they make it snow in there? Heck, maybe I'll try to sneak in there, I could use some cold weather..

meoveryouxinfinity
8/3/2011, 02:56 PM
On College Football Live today they talked about the record 37 days & counting of 100+ heat. They showed the highs for the first few days of practice-- 108, 107, 106, 108..etc. They are also talking about keeping the players hydrated and allowing water/gatorade breaks upon the players' request (as opposed to whenever the coach allows a break). It is super, super hot. I'm worried about how many girls are going to faint during rush next week...

SoonerofAlabama
8/3/2011, 03:01 PM
On College Football Live today they talked about the record 37 days & counting of 100+ heat. They showed the highs for the first few days of practice-- 108, 107, 106, 108..etc. They are also talking about keeping the players hydrated and allowing water/gatorade breaks upon the players' request (as opposed to whenever the coach allows a break). It is super, super hot. I'm worried about how many girls are going to faint during rush next week...

I watched that. I thought I heard something about night practices. Did you hear such a thing?

Mississippi Sooner
8/3/2011, 03:04 PM
Remember back when they didn't allow water breaks during two a days because water made you weak? It's really a wonder more guys didn't die back then.

meoveryouxinfinity
8/3/2011, 03:14 PM
Remember back when they didn't allow water breaks during two a days because water made you weak? It's really a wonder more guys didn't die back then.

Junction Boys

meoveryouxinfinity
8/3/2011, 03:15 PM
I watched that. I thought I heard something about night practices. Did you hear such a thing?

hmm now that you mention it..

but i was eating so i wasn't really paying much attention

Mississippi Sooner
8/3/2011, 03:17 PM
Junction Boys

Yep, I read that book. While I can see how the few that actually made it through that hell maybe became tougher men for the experience, I still couldn't see how it made Bear Bryant a hero. I guess, in the end, even he saw how tragic it could have been because he never did anything like that again.

meoveryouxinfinity
8/3/2011, 03:23 PM
Yep, I read that book. While I can see how the few that actually made it through that hell maybe became tougher men for the experience, I still couldn't see how it made Bear Bryant a hero. I guess, in the end, even he saw how tragic it could have been because he never did anything like that again.

My uncle graduated from NW Classen during the glory days and played quarterback for OSU in the early 1960's (1960-1964, I believe?). His freshman year there were only like 19 or 20 players left after two a days. Some of his stories are great. While practicing returning punts, one of his teammates caught the ball, ran it back for a touchdown, and kept running..out of the stadium and home. They were brutal practices apparently.

My uncle also has some classic stories about Bud Wilkinson too. He led NW Classen to a win over Norman in the state championship. Who was Norman's quarterback? Jay Wilkinson... After that game my uncle (who was highly recruited by OU, OSU, and Nebraska) was never approached by OU coaches.

Edit: I actually looked this up, and apparently Wilkinson talks about it in his book:
And yes, the referee was "his uncle".. cheatin' aggies :D (http://books.google.com/books?id=5J6V5K_O4cEC&lpg=PA97&ots=BX6zA9nwjx&dq=NW%20classen%20football%20mike%20miller&pg=PA97#v=onepage&q=mike%20miller&f=false)

Flagstaffsooner
8/3/2011, 03:33 PM
Players officially report for fall camp today but most have been on campus working out and taking summer classes, which end late this week.
When practice starts Thursday it will be held from 6:45 to 9 a.m.
“It's just like Fan Day. It's different this year because our guys are still in class,” Stoops said Tuesday at his annual media golf tournament. “My only alternative was to go at 6 at night. I was going to push it back to 6:30 but it's still over 100 degrees.”
Temperatures late this week are projected to range from 84 to 90 degrees early in the morning compared to 104 to 107 degrees the final two hours before sunset.
Record high temperatures will force football coaches at every level to use extreme caution.
“You would be negligent not to be very aware of it and take all the appropriate precautions,” said defensive coordinator Brent Venables (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Brent+Venables&CATEGORY=PERSON). “Be cognizant by giving them enough water and keep them cool with ice towels. First and foremost find the coolest time of the day.”
Players won't be in class next week but the heat could alter the practice schedule.
The first of four scheduled two-a-days is Tuesday. The high temperature that day is projected to be 105. An early evening second practice would be held in 100 degree-plus heat.
“We're not sure (what we'll do),” Venables said. “You're not going to be able to avoid it all together. You have to be smart. It's still 100 degrees at 9 (p.m.). It's a different kind of heat if the sun is not out. You can't do two practices in the morning.”
Practicing in the heat won't be a dramatic change. Quarterback Landry Jones (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Landry+Jones&CATEGORY=PERSON) said voluntary seven-on-seven drills in recent weeks were held late in the afternoon.
“Our guys work out all summer in the heat,” Stoops said. “Even our lifting is mostly done in a garage-like atmosphere where it isn't air conditioned. Our guys are fairly used to it.”
The Sooners are scheduled to practice every day for 10 consecutive days, including two two-a-days, before taking a break for team meetings on Aug. 14.
Conditioning tests and the first practice are scheduled Thursday.
OU, 12-2 last season, is projected by every publication as the favorite to win the Big 12 (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Big+12+Conference+(Football)&CATEGORY=ORGANIZATION) in the new round-robin era.
“We're all anxious to get back on the field and get back with the players to start the process,” Stoops said. “We're very much anticipating (this season) and looking forward to it.
“This time of year you're sort of tired of the summer, tired of not being on the field. That's what we do. We're all looking forward to it.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/ou-football-coaches-adjusting-practice-times-due-to-brutal-heat/article/3591123#ixzz1U046MOyl

47straight
8/3/2011, 03:34 PM

Smellsofbourbon.

BoulderSooner79
8/3/2011, 03:53 PM

I think it was due the fact that lineman were not 300lbs+ back then. They did it back then because they were ignorant of the possible consequences - no such excuse now. I just hope there are no too many macho (and ignorant) HS coaches out there trying to "toughen up" their players. This 100+ degree heat dome is huge and must encompass many HS that are starting practices now. These guys are not nearly as equipped to deal with the situation like big, college programs.

Howzit
8/3/2011, 04:09 PM

I just checked it on my calculator and there is 6 degrees difference.

If anyone has any other math questions, just ask. I'm here to help.

lmg0088
8/3/2011, 04:25 PM

Unless you are trying to be funny or something, you are missing a number. It should be a 16 degree difference, not 6.

BoulderSooner79
8/3/2011, 05:19 PM

Did you keep the receipt on that calculator?

NormanPride
8/4/2011, 08:45 AM
Bump. Already some pics on soonersports.com it seems...

EDIT: Sorry, thought I saw some, but it looks like it's just a story.

olevetonahill
8/4/2011, 08:57 AM
Players officially report for fall camp today but most have been on campus working out and taking summer classes, which end late this week.
When practice starts Thursday it will be held from 6:45 to 9 a.m.
“It's just like Fan Day. It's different this year because our guys are still in class,” Stoops said Tuesday at his annual media golf tournament. “My only alternative was to go at 6 at night. I was going to push it back to 6:30 but it's still over 100 degrees.”
Temperatures late this week are projected to range from 84 to 90 degrees early in the morning compared to 104 to 107 degrees the final two hours before sunset.
Record high temperatures will force football coaches at every level to use extreme caution.
“You would be negligent not to be very aware of it and take all the appropriate precautions,” said defensive coordinator Brent Venables (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Brent+Venables&CATEGORY=PERSON). “Be cognizant by giving them enough water and keep them cool with ice towels. First and foremost find the coolest time of the day.”
Players won't be in class next week but the heat could alter the practice schedule.
The first of four scheduled two-a-days is Tuesday. The high temperature that day is projected to be 105. An early evening second practice would be held in 100 degree-plus heat.
“We're not sure (what we'll do),” Venables said. “You're not going to be able to avoid it all together. You have to be smart. It's still 100 degrees at 9 (p.m.). It's a different kind of heat if the sun is not out. You can't do two practices in the morning.”
Practicing in the heat won't be a dramatic change. Quarterback Landry Jones (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Landry+Jones&CATEGORY=PERSON) said voluntary seven-on-seven drills in recent weeks were held late in the afternoon.
“Our guys work out all summer in the heat,” Stoops said. “Even our lifting is mostly done in a garage-like atmosphere where it isn't air conditioned. Our guys are fairly used to it.”
The Sooners are scheduled to practice every day for 10 consecutive days, including two two-a-days, before taking a break for team meetings on Aug. 14.
Conditioning tests and the first practice are scheduled Thursday.
OU, 12-2 last season, is projected by every publication as the favorite to win the Big 12 (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Big+12+Conference+(Football)&CATEGORY=ORGANIZATION) in the new round-robin era.
“We're all anxious to get back on the field and get back with the players to start the process,” Stoops said. “We're very much anticipating (this season) and looking forward to it.
“This time of year you're sort of tired of the summer, tired of not being on the field. That's what we do. We're all looking forward to it.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/ou-football-coaches-adjusting-practice-times-due-to-brutal-heat/article/3591123#ixzz1U046MOyl

Thanks Flag

Good jorb

Did you keep the receipt on that calculator?

:D :D :D :D :D

jk the sooner fan
8/4/2011, 08:59 AM
football is officially here!!!!!!

cvsooner
8/4/2011, 12:38 PM
The schedule is up at soonersports.com:

08/03 Players Report / Team Meeting
08/04 Practice 1
08/05 Practice 2
08/06 Practice 3 / Media & Fan Day
08/07 Practice 4
08/08 Practice 5
08/09 Practice 6 and 7
08/10 Mini-Scrimmage
08/11 Practice 9 and 10
08/12 Practice 11
08/13 Scrimmage
08/14 Special Teams Walk-Thru
08/15 Practice 13 and 14
08/16 Mini-Scrimmage
08/17 Practice 16 and 17
08/18 Scrimmage
08/19 Practice 19
08/22 Classes Begin
08/29 Game Week Begins
09/03 Season-Opener vs. Tulsa

Mini-scrimmages and scrimmages count as practices, so that's why the numbers are missing, I believe.

NormanPride
8/4/2011, 01:12 PM
Players we all need updates on:

Trey Metoyer
Jordan Wade
Trey Millard (injured for spring)
Roy Finch (injured for spring)

any others I'm missing?

yankee
8/4/2011, 01:21 PM
Players we all need updates on:

Trey Metoyer
Jordan Wade
Trey Millard (injured for spring)
Roy Finch (injured for spring)

any others I'm missing?

Add another Jordan, who is also a DT...Jordan Phillips. Stoops said he and Wade are expected in camp sometime over the next week. We need at least one of those guys. DT is our thinnest position on the field.