PDA

View Full Version : Got a puppy yesterday...

GottaHavePride
8/1/2011, 10:13 PM
Picked him up from the animal shelter. Looks like he might be a lab / german shepherd mix, maybe. Smart guy, picked up "sit" on about the second try. Slept all through last night and only whined once.

Named him Watson. Smart, but a bit of a sidekick type. ;)

I'll post a pic or two later on.

StoopTroup
8/1/2011, 10:15 PM
Cool.

MamaMia
8/1/2011, 10:16 PM
Picked him up from the animal shelter. Looks like he might be a lab / german shepherd mix, maybe. Smart guy, picked up "sit" on about the second try. Slept all through last night and only whined once.

Named him Watson. Smart, but a bit of a sidekick type. ;)

I'll post a pic or two later on.My dogs name is Watson too; not the cute funny looking one, but the black one. They are both very smart too. :)
Do you have photos?

GottaHavePride
8/1/2011, 10:16 PM
All on my phone right now, and heck if I can find my cord. I'll try to post some in the morning. :)

SoonersEnFuego
8/2/2011, 07:42 AM
Just post the pics.... It's elementary my dear. :D

jk the sooner fan
8/2/2011, 07:47 AM
spek for getting a shelter dog!!!

OhU1
8/2/2011, 08:37 AM
We surprised dad with a Bassett Hound pup for Father's Day. He had been wanting a dog after our last Bassett Bo died at age 15 in 2006 but mom wouldn't let him get another dog. Mom recently relented and I picked a pup up in Shawnee. He's a black, white, and brown. Cute and lovable as hell. Name is Gus, perfect for a hound.

NormanPride
8/2/2011, 08:39 AM
We recently removed the crates in our house and our dogs are adjusting... Well, more like we're adjusting to prepping the house. :O

olevetonahill
8/2/2011, 09:21 AM
spek for getting a shelter dog!!!

Heh, I get mine at the dump and or side of the road.
Cut out the middle man so to speak.:cool:

jumperstop
8/2/2011, 09:22 AM
This thread is useless without pics....

olevetonahill
8/2/2011, 09:44 AM
This thread is useless without pics....

Heres ya a Pic
I wish every one would Spay or neuter their pets ;)

http://www.stokescountyhumanesociety.com/images/366_shelter_puppies_for_flyer.jpg

jk the sooner fan
8/2/2011, 09:46 AM
Heh, I get mine at the dump and or side of the road.
Cut out the middle man so to speak.:cool:

you're a good egg for taking them in!

jk the sooner fan
8/2/2011, 09:47 AM
I wish every one would Spay or neuter their pets

this!!!!!!

olevetonahill
8/2/2011, 09:52 AM
you're a good egg for taking them in!

If i can get to em before they get to scared and wild Ill make sure they are fed and doctored and do my best to find em a home. The real spooky ones who I cant get near to make sure they are healthy. I hate to but I put em down.

jumperstop
8/2/2011, 09:54 AM
Heres ya a Pic
I wish every one would Spay or neuter their pets ;)

My dog still has his balls, but I plan on breeding him possibly. It's not like he's ever going to have a chance to sneek through the fence and knock the neighbors dog up.

jk the sooner fan
8/2/2011, 09:59 AM
My dog still has his balls, but I plan on breeding him possibly. It's not like he's ever going to have a chance to sneek through the fence and knock the neighbors dog up.

no offense, but this is irresponsible - the world doesnt need more puppies from backyard breeders

educate yourself on this before you do so

please

olevetonahill
8/2/2011, 10:03 AM
See JK we can agree on a lot of things.;)

Jumper You do that yer dog CAN get out dont ya? He dayum sure wouldnt be the 1st.

If ya aint gonna cut at least make sure he has some Condoms and knows how to use them.

jumperstop
8/2/2011, 10:06 AM
I wouldn't say irresponsible. He's not registered, but I'll be able to sell my Saint puppies for about 200 each at least. It's not like he's just some mut. His dad was AKC registered and his mom was UKCI registered.

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww70/jumperstop/2010-10-27220556.jpg

jumperstop
8/2/2011, 10:07 AM
This was from about a 6 months ago. He's about 110-115 now probably.

MsProudSooner
8/2/2011, 10:07 AM
If i can get to em before they get to scared and wild Ill make sure they are fed and doctored and do my best to find em a home. The real spooky ones who I cant get near to make sure they are healthy. I hate to but I put em down.

We had 2 feral dogs that hung around our place for several weeks. You couldn't get near them. My ex finally decided he was going to have to shoot them. He shot one of them and couldn't bring himself to shoot the other one. We redoubled our efforts to domesticate the 2nd one. After several weeks we were finally able to get him to the vet - with the help of valium laced hamburger meat! He turned out to be the most devoted dog we ever owned.

jumperstop
8/2/2011, 10:08 AM
See JK we can agree on a lot of things.;)

Jumper You do that yer dog CAN get out dont ya? He dayum sure wouldnt be the 1st.

If ya aint gonna cut at least make sure he has some Condoms and knows how to use them.

He could get out, but it'd have to be a big hole. And then someone would have to not notice the 115 pound dog running down the street.

jk the sooner fan
8/2/2011, 10:09 AM
I wouldn't say irresponsible. He's not registered, but I'll be able to sell my Saint puppies for about 200 each at least. It's not like he's just some mut. His dad was AKC registered and his mom was UKCI registered.

beautiful dog

like i suggested - educate yourself - talk to a few professional breeders and get their take on it

talk to your vet

akc registration is really meaningless in the grand scheme of things

jk the sooner fan
8/2/2011, 10:10 AM
We had 2 feral dogs that hung around our place for several weeks. You couldn't get near them. My ex finally decided he was going to have to shoot them. He shot one of them and couldn't bring himself to shoot the other one. We redoubled our efforts to domesticate the 2nd one. After several weeks we were finally able to get him to the vet - with the help of valium laced hamburger meat! He turned out to be the most devoted dog we ever owned.

i'd be loyal and devoted too if i knew you'd shot my brother ;)

jumperstop
8/2/2011, 10:12 AM
beautiful dog

like i suggested - educate yourself - talk to a few professional breeders and get their take on it

talk to your vet

akc registration is really meaningless in the grand scheme of things

Thanks. Of course I would talk to someone before going through with it, and I'm not sure if that's what I would want to do. I just felt like if I might so I decided I wasn't going to neuter him. And plus I've heard with large dogs is sometimes best to wait until almost a year or so because you don't want to stunt their growth.

jk the sooner fan
8/2/2011, 10:14 AM
i've never heard that - in fact i've heard its best to do it between 8 months and a year

i've done "a bit" of work with breed specific rescues, etc - and am a "bit" opinionated when it comes to back yard breeding

anyway - like i said - beautiful dog!

MsProudSooner
8/2/2011, 10:16 AM

Maybe that was it! ;)

olevetonahill
8/2/2011, 11:17 AM

You planning on getting a bitch to? cause thats the only way yer gonna get ALL the pups.

jk the sooner fan
8/2/2011, 11:18 AM
You planning on getting a bitch to? cause thats the only way yer gonna get ALL the pups.

yeah i always thought the stud fee was the "pick of the litter"

jumperstop
8/2/2011, 11:23 AM
yeah i always thought the stud fee was the "pick of the litter"

Yeah I was just saying that to try and prove my point. I mainly want one or two, so I can have one and maybe one for a family member. He came from a litter of 12 I think with only one dying. One was taken by his dad's owners and then I got first pick. He was either the biggest or second biggest in the litter.

GottaHavePride
8/3/2011, 03:45 PM
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6025/6006578116_19f1c48123.jpg

The little guy.

Mississippi Sooner
8/3/2011, 03:49 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm still laughing at valium laced hamburger meat. :D

pphilfran
8/3/2011, 03:56 PM
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6025/6006578116_19f1c48123.jpg

The little guy.

Ahhhhhhhh....

GottaHavePride
8/3/2011, 06:20 PM
Yeah, he's still in the "OMG RUN PLAY EVERYTHING IS AWESOMzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" stage. :)

olevetonahill
8/3/2011, 06:54 PM
Cute, May Yall have a Lot of good years together

C&CDean
8/3/2011, 06:58 PM
Just wait till he hits 100lbs and wants to rip your throat out. You'll wish you woulda spent $1K on a **** zu. Heh. Good job taking a dog from the shelter.

MamaMia
8/3/2011, 08:29 PM
HES A CUTIE! :)

Curly Bill
8/3/2011, 09:54 PM

:D LMAO!

MsProudSooner
8/4/2011, 08:28 AM
I'm sorry, but I'm still laughing at valium laced hamburger meat. :D

The vet gave us three 5mg tablets. He said he would probably be noticibly drowsy after one, but that if he wasn't, to give him the second one 45 minutes after we gave him the first one. It took all 3 for him to mellow out enough so that we could get him into the car. When we got back from the vet, he spent the afternoon literally leaning against the fence in the back yard. I don't think he moved a muscle for over 3 hours. We should have taken pictures. :D

jk the sooner fan
8/4/2011, 08:32 AM
did you put pepper on the hamburger meat?

oh wait - thats tigers that like pepper