PDA

View Full Version : Netflix,Firefly, Legend of the Seeker, and other tv series I missed the first time

achiro
8/1/2011, 04:07 PM
I started watching The legend of the seeker a while back on Netflix. Cheesy but enough eye candy(there are some real purty folks on that show) and a decent story line(I need to read the actual books). I had never seen or heard of this show when it was airing.
Firefly. I really liked this show. Can't believe it only went one season. I watched the follow up movie this weekend and it was good as well.
I watched it last summer but I think Dexter is my favorite of all the series I've watched on Netflix.

Any others I should check out?

achiro
8/1/2011, 04:09 PM
Oh, and did I see LAS' lady on Seeker? If so, did she get to take home the mord sith(sp?) outfit at the end of the day? ;)

sappstuf
8/1/2011, 04:12 PM
If you like SciFi then Doctor Who.

achiro
8/1/2011, 04:14 PM

That one keeps popping up on my recommended list, I'll have to check it out.
What about Mad men or Farscape? I've got them both added to my queue but haven't watched.

jumperstop
8/1/2011, 04:14 PM

They run that non stop on BBCA though.

sappstuf
8/1/2011, 04:16 PM
That one keeps popping up on my recommended list, I'll have to check it out.
What about Mad men or Farscape? I've got them both added to my queue but haven't watched.

The first 5 or 6 seasons are all on Instant view... Makes for good marathons. Most of the seasons have good large arcs so it is good to watch in order.

I watched Farscape, but it was many years ago. It wasn't bad.

GDC
8/1/2011, 04:48 PM
I, Claudius
Lonesome Dove
The Wire
Freaks and Geeks
Trailer Park Boys
The IT Crowd
Justified
Arrested Development
Get a Life

Veritas
8/1/2011, 04:49 PM
Series I've watched/been watching:

Saxondale (BBC)
British comedy is hit or miss for me. I loved the Office, The IT Crowd, and a few others. I hated a ton of others. This is a Steve Coogan characters that's sorta the British version of a redneck. He drives a Mach 1, has anger management issues, and atrocious social skills. It's a funny 22 minutes.

Sports Night
Great show from the late nineties. It is Aaron Sorkin so it's dialogue heavy and it doesn't always work fitting in the comedy and the drama into half an hour. And it's Sorkin so be prepared for awkwardly placed liberal diatribes.

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
Another Sorkin deal. Hour long epis. The first half of the season is strong, the last half it's apparent why it got cancelled. But Steven Weber is great and Chandler is pretty funny.

The Good Guys
Yet another great Fox production that got cancelled. Good twist on the buddy cop bit.

Hotel Babylon
BBC dramedy about a 5-star hotel. First two seasons are good, then it loses steam (and key cast members).

Sleeper Cell
Effing awesome.

Weeds
It's in its final season on Showtime, but you can stream the first five. Effing hilarity.

Intelligence
This is Canadian made, but it's a very solid two seasons of crime & investigation drama.

The League
Half an hour of epic guy comedy. I'm not into fantasy football and I've watched this at least four times.

Archer
I think this might still be in production. It's a raunchy animated series about this doofus special agent. It also features the first animated character I've ever sorta wanted to bone, played by Aisha Tyler, a real life person who I'd desperately like to bone.

Party Down
Very very funny two seasons about a catering service. Got cancelled because the actors left to do other things...Jane Lynch to Glee, the main character to Parks & Rec.

TitoMorelli
8/1/2011, 05:21 PM
I started watching The legend of the seeker a while back on Netflix. Cheesy but enough eye candy(there are some real purty folks on that show) and a decent story line(I need to read the actual books). I had never seen or heard of this show when it was airing.
Firefly. I really liked this show. Can't believe it only went one season. I watched the follow up movie this weekend and it was good as well.
I watched it last summer but I think Dexter is my favorite of all the series I've watched on Netflix.

I enjoyed "Firefly" and the movie "Serenity" - I hadn't seen the series when I caught the movie about 15 minutes in, the first time I ever watched it. Made the scene in the bar even more unexpected, and better imo.

GKeeper316
8/1/2011, 06:26 PM
Oh, and did I see LAS' lady on Seeker? If so, did she get to take home the mord sith(sp?) outfit at the end of the day? ;)

no, she didn't. keith was disappointed.

MsProudSooner2
8/1/2011, 07:55 PM
If you try Dr. Who and like it, try Torchwood.

Star Trek Enterprise

bigfatjerk
8/1/2011, 08:25 PM
Star Trek Enterprise is terrible.

Doctor Who is good, I'm not as big a fan of the newer Doctors though. The first 2 in the new series were pretty good. I haven't watched as much of the last doctor though. Maybe it's just me though. I think the older Docs are more interesting, but I haven't watched all of them yet. Haven't seen the Torchwood spin-off yet.

Firefly was an amazing show but the networks it was on screwed it over. They didn't show the series in order. Which was okay for some episodes because they were stand alone but not okay for some others. I think they moved the time slots a couple times. The show still had it's core fan group and has become a cult hit since then. It might be my favorite Sci-Fi show of all time.

Wishboned
8/1/2011, 08:27 PM
Sons of Anarchy and Justified.

GKeeper316
8/1/2011, 08:31 PM
Star Trek Enterprise is terrible.

no way dude. enterprise was the second best star trek series right behind voyager.

t'pol >>>>>>> 7 of 9

bigfatjerk
8/1/2011, 08:36 PM
Voyager had 7 of 9 going for them. And the Doctor going for them. Wooden acting, bs technobabble that meant nothing, and a psychopathic captain going against them.

Enterprise had nothing going for it. Outside of T'Pol's breasts there wasn't a character in that show.

GKeeper316
8/1/2011, 08:41 PM
Voyager had 7 of 9 going for them. And the Doctor going for them. Wooden acting, bs technobabble that meant nothing, and a psychopathic captain going against them.

Enterprise had nothing going for it. Outside of T'Pol's breasts there wasn't a character in that show.

there was more to the show?

BajaOklahoma
8/1/2011, 09:16 PM
Top Gear.
My nephew got me hooked on it this weekend. I don't know who most of the guest drivers (British celebs) are. The three main guys grow on you. I've heard they are going to do away with the challenges and go back to serious car testing in this year's series.

SoonerDude
8/1/2011, 11:22 PM
Firefly is awesome, Jayne is my favorite character. I'd like to see a fight between Jayne Cobb and John Casey.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s308/sinatrachairman/cobbcasey.jpg

I recently finished watching The IT Crowd on Netflix. I loved it. I wish Flight of the Conchords was streaming. I'm having to watch those a few at a time on DVD.

ouleaf
8/2/2011, 08:40 AM
From the Comedy realm, I'd recommend Parks and Recreation and The League.

Parks was ripped early for being too much of an Office knock-off and that is exactly what it is, but if you really give the show a chance, there is some real genius in there and I think it has a better overall cast than the Office. It also gave us the greatness that is Ron Swanson.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but The League is also greatness. One of my biggest concerns about the NFL lockout was if it would also mean The League would be delayed. Centers around 5 really great comedians who are highschool friends that are very competitive about their Fantasy Football League. It's mostly just the 5 guys slinging funny insults at each other, but it still makes me laugh.

waynepayne
8/2/2011, 09:19 AM

I had read all the Seeker books and really enjoyed the series. Its too bad they didnt renew this next season. I got "carnivaled" all over again :(

crawfish
8/2/2011, 10:36 AM
no way dude. enterprise was the second best star trek series right behind voyager.

t'pol >>>>>>> 7 of 9

I guess if you judge your Star Trek shows by breasts... :)

SoonerDude
8/2/2011, 11:15 AM

t'pol >>>>>>> 7 of 9

Both sucked. TNG was the best. No real hotties, just better scripts.