PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning...Ladies and Gentlemen, Rock and Roll

MR2-Sooner86
8/1/2011, 05:19 AM
MTV is launched.

August 1, 1981, 30 years ago, MTV was launched with the very first music video being "Video Killed the Radio Star." Back then, the station played music videos 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Cw6xesXLIAA
trQebBym-eI&feature
Watch the very first 20 minutes here.

With the creation of the channel, Generation X got it's nickname of "the MTV Generation."

The MTV logo was created by Manhattan Design which became very iconic. Of course the logo has changed to focus on MTV's reality programing, not the music, but still stays somewhat true to the original.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/99/MTV_Logo_Refresh.png
MTV has rebranded itself over the years.

Remember the TV spot? You should, it aired over 15,000 times in the 80's.
182oUgBfoLE

With MTV's success, other channels were able to be created.
VH1 (1985)
MTV2 (1996)
CMT (1999)
Logo (2005)

Of course MTV's programming changed, some say for the worst, with the creation of their reality programming in 1992 with The Real World.

Since then, there has been a flow of "reality" shows and other programming that make the M in MTV completely useless. Some of these programs are as followed.

Jackass
Viva La Bam
My Super Sweet 16
16 and Pregnant
Teen Mom
Jersey Shore
Laguna Beach
High School Stories
Parental Control
Date My Mom
Pimp My Ride
Paris Hilton's New BFF
Cribs
Busted
Real World/Road Rules Challenge

Of course during the 90's there was one show that some say was the "face" of MTV. It held on to MTV's roots as it played music videos as well. Lucky for us, it's returning, to make fun of the network that made it famous.

Beavis And Butt-Head Return To Watch 'Jersey Shore,' Viral Videos (http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1658114/beavis-butt-head-jersey-shore-viral-video.jhtml)

SoonerStormchaser
8/1/2011, 05:49 AM
MTV programming nowadays has been reduced to a bunch of whiny-*** folks with silver spoons who don't know jack **** about how the real world works. Methinks the network should be nuked and start over...

delhalew
8/1/2011, 07:55 AM
The evolution of that channel is bizarre. Now there is no music, but you can always catch sixteen and pregnant.

C&CDean
8/1/2011, 07:56 AM
To the OP, are you the new homey?

sooneron
8/1/2011, 08:53 AM
I'll never forget how psyched I was to visit my Dad in Htown back in 81/82. I think Nompton got it in the Summer / Fall of 82. That channel totally blows now and it's pretty much TRW's fault.

I knew that the Buggles were the first vid played. I didn't know Benatar was the 2nd. That's a decent piece of trivia there...

OhU1
8/1/2011, 09:07 AM
Beavis and Butthead and the Jimmy the cab driver MTV commercials are the only good things to ever come out of MTV.

MR2-Sooner86
8/1/2011, 10:17 AM
To the OP, are you the new homey?

Nope, just plagiarizing. Besides, I have too much heart to be a lawyer ;)

MR2-Sooner86
8/1/2011, 05:18 PM
Beavis and Butthead and the Jimmy the cab driver MTV commercials are the only good things to ever come out of MTV.

The original Celebrity Deathmatch was pretty awesome.

GKeeper316
8/1/2011, 06:24 PM
its cheaper to just do reality programming than it is to show music videos. every time you show a music video, there's a ton of people that get paid in royalties... you don't even have to hire a writer for reality tv.

MR2-Sooner86
8/3/2011, 10:08 AM
Interesting article today I saw on this.

MTV Apparently Wants To Be 29 Forever (http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/heard/12618/mtv-apparently-wants-to-be-29-forever/#mwpphu-container)

On Monday, August 1, MTV turned 30 years old. Media outlets across the country, including Yahoo!, celebrated this auspicious occasion in pop culture. All but ONE media outlet, that is: um, MTV. Like the ungracefully aging Gloria Swanson in Sunset Blvd. or titular character in Logan's Run, MTV bizarrely refused to celebrate its own 30th birthday, and just treated it like any other day.

The above screenshot depicts what the homepage of MTV.com looked like on August 1, 2011. No moon landing. No Martha Quinn. No Nina Blackwood. No Buggles. Nothing to acknowledge that MTV even existed before December 3, 2009 (the date that "Jersey Shore" first aired). MTV.com outsourced all of its 30th birthday coverage to the more demographically appropriate VH1.com, and the network itself dumped its retrospective coverage on its lesser-watched sister stations, MTV2 (the same station that recently brought Matt Pinfield back for a "120 Minutes" relaunch) and VH1 Classic.

"MTV as a brand doesn't age with our viewers," explained Nathaniel Brown, senior vice president of communications for MTV, who confirmed that there were no plans for an on-air MTV celebration. "We are really focused on our current viewers, and our feeling was that our anniversary wasn't something that would be meaningful to them, many of whom weren't even alive in 1981."

While the point is is well taken, it doesn't seem like MTV has much issue with NINETIES nostalgia (as evidenced by the network's recent "120 Minutes" and "Beavis & Butt-Head" revivals). So even a tribute to MTV's later shows ("Club MTV," "Headbanger's Ball," "Yo! MTV Raps," "Unplugged," "The Week In Music" with the impeccably smarmy Kurt Loder) could have provided enough fodder for a month-long celebration of MTV's genuine importance in youth culture (and would have been a welcome reminder that the "M" in "MTV" used to stand for "music"). Heck, I would have even been okay with recycled footage of "Singled Out" and "Celebrity Deathmatch." Anything but the network's usual endless rotation of "Jersey Shore" reruns and glamorization of knocked-up teens. What a missed opportunity this was.

Of course, I take this snub a little personally, as MTV was a huge part of my own childhood--which was, I admit, somewhere around 30 years ago. It's no exaggeration to say MTV actually changed my life. I'll never forget the fateful day when I flipped on MTV for the first time and my sheltered peepers feasted on the video for some peculiar song called "I Melt With You," by some exotic Brit band I'd never heard of before, Modern English. I was way too young to understand how, exactly, one person would melt into another. But I knew I did NOT watch to touch that dial. The lightning-quick images that flashed before me--A Flock Of Seagulls' topiary/aviary hairdos, Dexy's Midnight Runners' worn-out overalls, the Human League's inch-thick Cleopatra eyeliner--were more interesting to me than any kiddie cartoon, and they made me realize that rock 'n' roll wasn't just background noise on my mom's station-wagon radio. No, rock was an entire world, with its own clothes, haircuts, language, lifestyles. And thanks to MTV, this brave new world was now accessible to little old me, 24 hours a day. Maybe I was still too young to go to concerts or hang out in clubs, but with MTV I felt like I was a part of something huge and exciting without even having to leave the safety of my girly pastel bedroom. Becoming part of MTV's rock 'n' roll world pretty much became my life goal at that point, and it was only a few years later that I was breaking my mom's heart my putting burgundy streaks in my hair, double-piercing my ear, and dating guys with tattoos. And I owed it all to MTV!

This might make it sound like MTV was a bad influence on me. On the contrary. MTV is the reason why I am a music journalist today. I wanted to be the next Martha Quinn, or Downtown Julie Brown, or Duffy, or Kennedy. Like I said in the above paragraph, I wanted to live in their world. Now, I sort of do. But what about today's teens, watching MTV in 2011? What world do they want to live in--Seaside Heights? Maybe they instead aspire to be "16 & Pregnant," or they just dream of a DTF life of gym/tan/laundry. Maybe these kids could have learned something from a three-decade MTV retrospective. Oh well.

So it's too bad that MTV was so reluctant to celebrate its own legacy, and so willing to assume that younger viewers wouldn't be interested in the network's storied past. Did the powers-that-be really worry that turning the dreaded age of 30 would make MTV seem antiquated and uncool? Or were they just worried that reminiscing about MTV's old video-centric format would only draw attention to the network's lack of actual music video programming today? (If the latter's the case, then they better cancel the MTV Video Music Awards, stat.)

I'm not sure, but I wasn't the only longtime viewer who was disgruntled about the lack of fanfare. When I finally unearthed a rather underwhelming MTV.com blog about MTV's 30th anniversary, after no small amount of digging, almost all of the comments echoed my sentiments. "Y'all don't seem excited at all. VH1 Classic is doing all the celebrating & y'all are just acting like it's a regular day on air showing stupid 'Teen Mom' & 'Jersey Shore' & all those silly reality shows," read one comment. Griped another commenter: "I'm so VERY disappointed with MTV that they couldn't even recognize your 30th anniversary on any of your TV networks. If it weren't for your original programming 30 years ago, you wouldn't be where you are now. Sadly, you've lost your way."

Hey, I understand that networks have to evolve, and as much as I want my (old) MTV, I admit that I do tune in to MTV nowadays to watch Ronnie and Sammi's domestic quarrels or witness the transformation of some kid who "Used To Be Fat." It's not like I'm boycotting the network, or expecting it to still air Modern English videos (though that would be kind of awesome). But August 1, 2011 should have been different.

So, it appears MTV killed the video star. And when given the chance to resurrect it for just one day, for a big 30th birthday celebration, MTV programmers opted not to. And that was a shame, for viewers of all ages.

I remember going to a friend's house in '94. His parents just got satellite. We turned on MTV and watched Celebrity Deathmatch, Beavis and Butt-head, and music videos all night. I remember thinking "this channel is...awesome!" It was both crazy and beautiful. I watch MTV now and don't get that feeling at all. There's no crazy, in your face, feeling anymore.

I agree with the writer, it would've been nice had MTV gone back to their roots, if even for a day.