PDA

View Full Version : George R. R. Martin

thecynic
7/31/2011, 10:31 AM
who has read the latest book? was it good and worth the wait?
I just finished Feast of Crows and am looking forward to the continuing saga.

Veritas
7/31/2011, 10:52 AM
Isn't that the Game of Thrones guy?

Howzit
7/31/2011, 10:57 AM
Yes, it's the Game of Thrones guy.

I'm in the middle of it. It's been so long for me I have forgotten some of the story lines and names, but I didn't have the time to go back and re-read all of the other books.

But it's been good so far.

Veritas
7/31/2011, 11:06 AM
Yes, it's the Game of Thrones guy.

I'm in the middle of it. It's been so long for me I have forgotten some of the story lines and names, but I didn't have the time to go back and re-read all of the other books.

But it's been good so far.
I liked GoT okay. Enough to buy the second book.

I think Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth is way better, plus there's a real libertarian undertone that I like.

On a side note, I really miss Howzit art. Do you still render your lovely expressions over at Slick's?

Howzit
7/31/2011, 11:16 AM
:D

Nah, since Dallasbabe isn't around much I've lost my muse.

sappstuf
7/31/2011, 11:24 AM
It isn't this George Martin?

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsR/15064-15041.gif

C&CDean
7/31/2011, 11:25 AM
Dang, that looks like Howzit back inna day.

Howzit
7/31/2011, 11:29 AM
I never had hair that pretty.

GKeeper316
7/31/2011, 11:30 AM
I think Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth is way better, plus there's a real libertarian undertone that I like.

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time is better.

Veritas
7/31/2011, 11:32 AM
Cool! Thanks for the steer. My library actually has it so I'm going to go dead tree rather than Kindle for it.

Howzit
7/31/2011, 12:31 PM

Didn't care for it. I read the first one and it was too much fantasy for me. That's what I like about Game of Thrones, just a sprinkle of that stuff.

thecynic
7/31/2011, 12:52 PM

I read the first couple of those years ago. Aren't there like 77 books in that series?

I'd never heard of Game of Thrones until the series. So I got to read the first four all in a row. Don't know how you could keep up, (or remember in my case) especially from 4-5 if it had really been 5 yrs in between.

Howzit
7/31/2011, 01:18 PM
I'm probably not. I know there are several story lines I just really can't remember, at least not well.

crawfish went back read the first 4 over again, I just didn't have the time or that level of interest to do that.

C&CDean
7/31/2011, 01:22 PM
That's cause it ain't no Harry Potter.

Wishboned
7/31/2011, 01:35 PM

Both the Sword of Truth, and Wheel of Time series have some serious S&M undertones as well.

GKeeper316
7/31/2011, 02:17 PM
Both the Sword of Truth, and Wheel of Time series have some serious S&M undertones as well.

ya... read some Gor books by john norman sometime.

GKeeper316
7/31/2011, 02:20 PM
Didn't care for it. I read the first one and it was too much fantasy for me. That's what I like about Game of Thrones, just a sprinkle of that stuff.

the first one was a little bit hokey... he wasn't sure if it would be well recieved and was afraid he wouldn't be able to end the series, so eye of the world ended kind of weird.

honestly i thought the series didn't really take off until the fourth book when rand went into the waste.

mat cauthon is probably my favorite literary character of all time... and i've read a whole lot of books.

you should try the series again.

Veritas
7/31/2011, 02:42 PM
Yeah. The Mord-sith...yowza.

Didn't LAS's gal play a Mord-sith in the dreadful television adaptation of the SoT series?

GKeeper316
7/31/2011, 03:04 PM

Didn't LAS's gal play a Mord-sith in the dreadful television adaptation of the SoT series?

yup. she was on the spartacus panel at comic con last weekend. i was not able to attend.

GDC
7/31/2011, 03:21 PM
Some of my favorites in this genre are Robert E. Howard, Michael Moorcock, Poul Anderson, Mervyn Peake, and H.P. Lovecraft.

Wishboned
7/31/2011, 03:41 PM
ya... read some Gor books by john norman sometime.

Read a few.

crawfish
7/31/2011, 05:07 PM

There is a whole lot of stupid over here. ;)

The fifth book is very good - echoes of the third book. For the first time in the series, I get the idea that the plot is converging back together rather than spreading out. Better than AFFC, there's quite a bit of action in this one, and a lot of surprises. It's pretty brutal for some characters.

Wishboned
7/31/2011, 05:37 PM

The fifth book is very good - echoes of the third book. For the first time in the series, I get the idea that the plot is converging back together rather than spreading out. Better than AFFC, there's quite a bit of action in this one, and a lot of surprises. It's pretty brutal for some characters.

I'm finishing up AFFC tonight. After what happened in AGOT and ASOS I'm not sure how much more brutal he can get.

GDC
7/31/2011, 05:40 PM
I'm finishing up AFFC tonight. After what happened in AGOT and ASOS I'm not sure how much more brutal he can get.

The Manderly's pies, for one example.:eek:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6127/5937718041_6a69c09c84_o.jpg

thecynic
7/31/2011, 09:40 PM

thanks for that. The fact that you can feel the plot converging is a good thing for me. There was already some brutality on some of my favorite characters so I'm ready for that. hopefully it won't take six years for the next one.

crawfish
7/31/2011, 09:43 PM
The Manderly's pies, for one example.:eek:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6127/5937718041_6a69c09c84_o.jpg

I had to read the chapter again to catch that. :)

Wishboned
8/1/2011, 03:38 PM

On a side note, I really miss Howzit art. Do you still render your lovely expressions over at Slick's?

Did you know Goodkind wrote another book set right after The Sword of Truth series ends?

http://us.macmillan.com/BookCustomPage.aspx?isbn=9780765327727&m_type=4&m_contentid=26784#cmscontent

GKeeper316
8/1/2011, 03:39 PM

in what universe is goodkind better than jordan?????

Wishboned
8/1/2011, 03:44 PM
in what universe is goodkind better than jordan?????

I think he was saying that Martin is better than both.

I haven't read Goodkind. I have read Jordan and Martin and have to say both can spin a good yarn, but both are also prone to excessively pad their stories needlessly.

Lawton4Life
8/1/2011, 03:48 PM
I loved the Drangonlance books in HS. Anyone else get into them? The ones by Weis and Hickman were always the best. Once D&D had a bit of a resurance it seems like TSR let just about anybody write a book about any minor character. I guess the overall story is a lot like LOTR now that I think about it.

the Legend of Huma was great too.

GKeeper316
8/1/2011, 07:56 PM
I loved the Drangonlance books in HS. Anyone else get into them? The ones by Weis and Hickman were always the best. Once D&D had a bit of a resurance it seems like TSR let just about anybody write a book about any minor character. I guess the overall story is a lot like LOTR now that I think about it.

the Legend of Huma was great too.

the first dragonlance trilogy is easily the most entertaining 3 books i've ever read.

Frozen Sooner
8/1/2011, 08:05 PM

Heh. The exact reason I stopped reading Goodkind's books. If I want to be beaten over the head with libertarian fantasy, I can read Ayn Rand or go to a Ron Paul site (ducks).

The real reason I stopped reading his books is because I read an interview where he came across as one of the biggest *******s ever.

And yes, I'm constantly surprised people read anything I write for that very reason.

Dwight
8/1/2011, 08:22 PM
who has read the latest book? was it good and worth the wait?
I just finished Feast of Crows and am looking forward to the continuing saga.

I'm reading it now. It's better than the 4th.

Wishboned
8/1/2011, 08:22 PM
The real reason I stopped reading his books is because I read an interview where he came across as one of the biggest *******s ever.

I'm guessing Orson Scott Card is not on your favorite list of authors either?

Frozen Sooner
8/1/2011, 08:32 PM
I'm guessing Orson Scott Card is not on your favorite list of authors either?

No, he's not. I really enjoyed Ender's Game and the Ender's Shadow series, but he lost me as a reader forever with Empire.

Wishboned
8/1/2011, 08:38 PM
No, he's not. I really enjoyed Ender's Game and the Ender's Shadow series, but he lost me as a reader forever with Empire.

It's a shame when someone who's work you've enjoyed in the past turns out to be a dick.

Scott D
8/1/2011, 08:51 PM
I know I for one was disappointed that Goodkind went back to his golden cow considering how much he claims distaste for the genre.

I've gotten kind of 'meh' with WoT, but with Brandon Sanderson showing more of his colors in continuing the series for the late Mr. Jordan it's breathed some new life into it.

I'm probably halfway through DoD, and the best thing so far is that other than in Tyrion's mental musings, there's been virtually no mention of Cersei, I was sick of her as a character by the end of Feast.

SoonerAtKU
8/2/2011, 03:03 PM
I'm done with the book now, and I really enjoyed it. There were some parts that dragged, but I'm hopeful that some of the work done there will be more meaningful and relevant later.

Howzit
8/2/2011, 03:21 PM
I'm done with the book now, and I really enjoyed it. There were some parts that dragged, but I'm hopeful that some of the work done there will be more meaningful and relevant later.

Yeah, 6 years from now.

SoonerAtKU
8/2/2011, 03:28 PM
I remain hopeful that the books return to their pre-Feast level of production, which is one every 2-3 years.

That's an appropriate length of time for me, and there's the TV show to keep me entertained and interested in the meantime.

Lawton4Life
8/2/2011, 03:35 PM
the first dragonlance trilogy is easily the most entertaining 3 books i've ever read.

The next 3 with Twins were great too. I enjoyed that whole storyline.

I dont keep up much any more, but they'll always be with me.

GKeeper316
8/2/2011, 03:48 PM
The next 3 with Twins were great too. I enjoyed that whole storyline.

I dont keep up much any more, but they'll always be with me.

naw i hated crysania as a character and thought the whole raistlin is really fistandantilus, master of time and space was a ****ty story vehicle.

crawfish
8/2/2011, 10:34 PM
I'm probably halfway through DoD, and the best thing so far is that other than in Tyrion's mental musings, there's been virtually no mention of Cersei, I was sick of her as a character by the end of Feast.

Keeping mum, but just want to say that it's eventually worth it. :D

(One of the most amazing chapters in the book is a Cersei chapter.)

crawfish
8/2/2011, 10:43 PM
I think he was saying that Martin is better than both.

I haven't read Goodkind. I have read Jordan and Martin and have to say both can spin a good yarn, but both are also prone to excessively pad their stories needlessly.

I worked my way through the first few SOT and five of the WOT books, and each is needlessly excessive. No real character growth. While Martin's books are also padded pretty heavily, it seems to flow with the story better (and oftentimes, the small details make the story richer - like in the Manderly pie thing mentioned above).

GDC
8/3/2011, 02:18 PM
A Storm of Swords is one of my all-time favorite books of any genre.

OUMallen
8/3/2011, 02:24 PM

http://images.elfwood.com/fanq/r/l/rlapolinar2/cara_mordsith_001.jpg

OUMallen
8/3/2011, 02:30 PM

Lifechanging. I read Dragons of Autumn Twilight at least 20 times. I finally donated all of my Dragonlance books this summer so that another kiddo can enjoy them as much as I did. The following trilogy with Caramon and Raistlin, as mentioned above, was also really solid, but the firs trilogy was everything good about the genre.

Kitiara > Laurana.

Howzit
8/3/2011, 02:32 PM
Lifechanging is not a sentence and does not warrant a period.

OUMallen
8/3/2011, 02:53 PM
Lifechanging is not a sentence and does not warrant a period.

You're one to talk about things that shouldn't have periods, but do.

Howzit
8/3/2011, 02:54 PM
Joke's on you, I hit menopause last week.

GKeeper316
8/3/2011, 02:58 PM
Kitiara > Laurana.

NO!

GKeeper316
8/3/2011, 03:04 PM

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee309/GKeeper316/katrinalawmord-sith.jpg

boom

Howzit
8/3/2011, 03:14 PM
Can we please get this thread back on track to my menopause?

OUMallen
8/3/2011, 03:16 PM
Joke's on you, I hit menopause last week.

Delicious.

Howzit
8/3/2011, 03:17 PM
That's still not a sentence.

crawfish
8/3/2011, 03:37 PM
That's still not a sentence.

Living with a woman during menopause is. At least I've heard.

OUMallen
8/3/2011, 03:44 PM
Living with a woman during menopause is. At least I've heard.

/thread