PDA

View Full Version : Saw Joe Paw's interview with media...

Soonerus
7/28/2011, 10:20 PM
It was awesome...

mightysooner
7/28/2011, 10:24 PM
Joe Pa = awesomeness. Great American coach!

cleller
7/29/2011, 07:07 AM
Did he use the term "whipper-snappers" at all?

picasso
7/29/2011, 08:27 AM
Did you fall asleep? Was Joe having a sasparilla?

rekamrettuB
7/29/2011, 09:08 AM
I'm guessing an occasional nurse popped on screen to wipe his chin and offer him a drink of Ensure through a straw.

meoveryouxinfinity
7/29/2011, 09:11 AM
Are you serious? he went on and on about Socrates in 400 BC or something. Man, he seriously needs to retire.. not sayin' it's not entertaining, but it's time for him to pass the torch.

KantoSooner
7/29/2011, 09:29 AM
Time for him to pass the torch was approximately 1980.

the guy is a joke who has set Penn State back by a decade or more. If you talk to PSU fans, you'll get about 30% who are diehard Joe Pa fans and the rest who hate his guts for destroying their football program.

Imagine if Bud Wilkinson was still coaching, and still running the same offense he ran in 1955. That is the reality for PSU fans.

Not that he wasn't a great coach, but his era was over more than a generation ago.

Fraggle145
7/29/2011, 09:47 AM
link?

meoveryouxinfinity
7/29/2011, 09:51 AM
link?

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2011/7/28/2301904/big-ten-media-day-joe-paterno-press-conference-recap

The old days when I first started to coach, I lived four blocks off the campus. We don't have a big house. We've been there for a long time, my wife and the kids. Well, the kids are all gone obviously. I used to get a telephone call from one of the campus cops would say, "Hey, coach, you better come up here and get a hold of ‘Mike.’ Too much to drink, making a lot of noise." I'd go up at 2:00 in the morning, grab Mike, put him in bed, get him up at 5:00 in the morning, run his rear-end off for a week. You guys never heard about it. Every once in a while I hear one of these guys that I know a little bit about when they were 19 and 20, I'm talking about all the kids today, they ought to go back and read Socrates. Socrates, 400 years BC, said, ‘The kids today are terrible, tyrants. They don't pay attention.’ That's 2,500 years ago, OK? Anyway, I'm shooting my mouth off too much. Let's go (laughter).

OUster
7/29/2011, 11:31 AM
Time for him to pass the torch was approximately 1980.

I have to respectfully disagree, brother. I could give a rat's *** if Joe Pa is still coaching, but I do recall we had to go through Penn State for number 6 in 1985 and the next year Penn State whipped the U's *** to claim another MNC. I think you pass the torch when you start to suck wind trying to keep up with the young 'ns. JoePa and Penn State were a serious force through all of the 80's and into the 90's.

texaspokieokie
7/29/2011, 11:31 AM
if he loved dear old psu as much as he thinks he does, he'd have retired some time ago.

Football Jim
7/29/2011, 12:17 PM
Like it or not, Joe Pa is Penn State football.

What is their best recruiting angle? "Hey, come to PSU and play for a legend!"

Other than that, what have they got?

I say let the Geezer coach, he has earned all the respect he has received.

Lott's Bandana
7/29/2011, 12:21 PM
I'm talking about all the kids today, they ought to go back and read Socrates. Socrates, 400 years BC, said, ‘The kids today are terrible, tyrants. They don't pay attention.’ That's 2,500 years ago, OK?

I think he actually heard Socrates make that statement.

fadada1
7/29/2011, 12:41 PM
i grew up a PSU fan and think JoePa is everything college football AND academics should represent. class act since day 1 (perhaps LITERALLY, day 1).

nevertheless, most of my family lives in/around state college. my mom lives about 5 blocks from Joe. word has it, Joe was out walking (which he is known to do and usually is left alone, but says hello to everyone), but had a bit of trouble finding his way home. apparently the state college police had to come get him and bring him back to casa de joe.

i love the guy, but he should've retired 5 years ago. he's already got the entire library named after him, stadium soon to come, and possibly the whole town/county.

meoveryouxinfinity
7/29/2011, 01:56 PM
Like it or not, Joe Pa is Penn State football.

What is their best recruiting angle? "Hey, come to PSU and play for a legend!"

Other than that, what have they got?

I say let the Geezer coach, he has earned all the respect he has received.

..ummm an absolutely fabulous school, academically.
A very large fan base.
A very large alumni base.
A very wealthy alumni base.
A very large stadium.

Basically they're Ohio State or Texas, but classier.

meoveryouxinfinity
7/29/2011, 01:57 PM
i grew up a PSU fan and think JoePa is everything college football AND academics should represent. class act since day 1 (perhaps LITERALLY, day 1).

nevertheless, most of my family lives in/around state college. my mom lives about 5 blocks from Joe. word has it, Joe was out walking (which he is known to do and usually is left alone, but says hello to everyone), but had a bit of trouble finding his way home. apparently the state college police had to come get him and bring him back to casa de joe.

i love the guy, but he should've retired 5 years ago. he's already got the entire library named after him, stadium soon to come, and possibly the whole town/county.
I love State College... great area...

badger
7/29/2011, 02:16 PM
I think Penn State was recently named the top party school as well.

Joe Paterno might be old, but in the midst of that rabid, crazy and hostile fanbase, he's the one bright spot.

LSU fans deserve Les Miles, because he acts like a lot of them. Penn State fans by and large do not deserve someone as classy and nice as Joe Pa. Give em Ed Orgeron :D

fadada1
7/29/2011, 02:20 PM
I love State College... great area...

yep. beautiful part of the country (even if it's in the middle of nowhere). true college town and atmosphere.

KantoSooner
7/29/2011, 02:53 PM
I have to respectfully disagree, brother. I could give a rat's *** if Joe Pa is still coaching, but I do recall we had to go through Penn State for number 6 in 1985 and the next year Penn State whipped the U's *** to claim another MNC. I think you pass the torch when you start to suck wind trying to keep up with the young 'ns. JoePa and Penn State were a serious force through all of the 80's and into the 90's.

I'll consent to be wrong on the dates. Let's agree that his day passed 20 rather than 30 years ago.

The Maestro
7/29/2011, 03:26 PM
I bet he calls a couch a davenport.

KantoSooner
7/29/2011, 03:35 PM
Or a 'divan'.

picasso
7/29/2011, 03:38 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-yF1MPxNE42M/ThkJ6Yh-fAI/AAAAAAAAAc8/V5pvMUwL9b0/s400/ending.jpg

PLaw
7/29/2011, 05:51 PM
Fine, fine man, but I think it's time for him to pass the torch. It seemed to me that he was pretty tired. I just wander who is really running the show in Happy Valley? I don't see Coach Joe Pa having the stamina to lead a major program at this point in his life.

Boomer

SoonerofAlabama
7/29/2011, 05:55 PM
Okay, if Joe Paterno were to step down, who does Penn St. get? I wouldn't want to be the next guy in line for that job, too much pressure.

texaspokieokie
7/29/2011, 05:58 PM
Okay, if Joe Paterno were to step down, who does Penn St. get? I wouldn't want to be the next guy in line for that job, too much pressure.

that'd be quite a "step-up" for a guy your age.

StoopTroup
7/29/2011, 06:03 PM
http://www.bigtennetwork.com/generic/schools/penn-state/video?bcpid=109424549001&bckey=AQ~~,AAAAAEBQhU8~,kLn_EtefUBnXsQlBtan1no8bhB 5YjE-d&bclid=1612710060&bctid=1084669392001

Soonerlife07
7/29/2011, 07:29 PM
Hes still alive??

StoopTroup
7/29/2011, 08:02 PM
Hes still alive??

Till the next guy flying out of bounds hits him.

ashley
7/29/2011, 08:18 PM
I have to disagree, but I don't think some of you are looking at the facts. In the last six years Coach Paterno has a record of 58 and 19. He is 4 and 2 in bowl games. I think that is damn good.

KantoSooner
7/31/2011, 11:44 AM
Mike Leach!

oudavid1
8/1/2011, 12:19 AM
He is that one coach that can leave when he dam well pleases.

ouleaf
8/1/2011, 12:38 AM
Can anyone honestly say that Joe Pa has really "coached" Penn State the last 10 years or so. I'm pretty sure it's his coordinator's and assistant coaches run the show these days. He doesn't even wear a headset to know what plays are being called.

I'm not saying Joe Pa isn't one of the all-time greats, because he is, but I think Penn State is just keeping him on as a figure head and a recruiting tool to help separate them from the other schools in the Big 10.

ouwasp
10/26/2012, 03:40 PM
heh... check out this Blast from the Past...