PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Reality

MR2-Sooner86
7/27/2011, 05:46 PM
Yes, the games have been played, we know what happened, and it will never change. However, I'm a big fan of "what if" history with many books on the subjects (if Lee won Gettysburg, JFK wasn't assassinated, etc.) so bringing it over to football was obvious.

I'm just asking your opinion on what you think would've happened had certain things changed. Like I said, we'll never truly know but I think it's fun to think about it.

I'll give a few scenarios and I'm curious how you think they would've played out. I know a couple of things we'd have to throw out like miracle comebacks and such. Like I said, we know how it happened but I'm presenting a "what if" to events that could have possibly happened. I know, a couple of these things are a stretch but I think they "theoretically" could have.

Anyway, would like to hear your thoughts.

Scenario #1

Rashaun Woods drops the touchdown pass in Norman which causes OU to barely escape another upset by in-state rival Oklahoma State. They go on to represent the South in the Big XII Championship beating Colorado. With that victory they go face Miami in hopes of winning back to back National Championships.

Who wins?
2001 National Title - OU vs Miami

Scenario #2

DeMarco Murray got hurt during the '08 Big XII Championship game. The next day it's discovered he just had a pinched nerve and will be better in a day or two. He's cleared and will be 100% for the National Championship against Florida.

Who wins?
2008 National Title - OU (with a healthy Murray) vs Florida

Scenario #3

Florida tries but ultimately fails in a 4th quarter comeback against Alabama in the SEC Championship. This gives Alabama the victory as they go to face OU in the National Championship.

Who wins?
2008 National Title - OU vs Alabama

Scenario #4

UCLA being huge underdogs pulls off the impossible and shuts down USC. They are able to stop any 4th quarter comeback winning 24-23. With this Oklahoma jumps to #1 and Auburn to #2 where they stay that way until they meet in the National Championship game.

Who wins?
2004 National Title - OU vs Auburn

Scenario #5

During the '07 Tech game, when Bradford hands off to Patrick, he doesn't fumble but just runs up the middle for no gain. This doesn't cause Bradford to get a concussion, changing the game plan where Murray doesn't dislocate his kneecap. OU, with Bradford as their quarterback, wins and goes on to defeat Missouri in the Big XII Championship. With only one loss OU goes over LSU and meets Ohio State in the National Championship.

Who wins?
2007 National Title - OU vs Ohio State

Scenario #6

The human polls give Miami the edge needed for the #2 BCS ranking. They pass FSU where they meet undefeated Oklahoma in the National Championship.

Who wins?
2000 National Title - OU vs Miami

Scenario #7

With their #1 ranking OU is able to hold of Missouri pulling it off late in the 4th quarter. They stumble again at A&M but are able to, again, hold off defeat and barely escape. Auburn is found to have paid for Cam Newton by evidence surfaced in the middle of the season. OU defeats OSU and Nebraska and heads to the National Championship to face one of the most high octane offenses in college football.

Who wins?
2010 National Title - OU vs Oregon

cleller
7/27/2011, 05:49 PM
I'll go for the easy answer first:
Sooners
Sooners
Sooners
Sooners
Sooners
Sooners
Sooners

Curly Bill
7/27/2011, 05:55 PM
1. Miami
2. OU
3. OU
4. Auburn
5. OU
6. OU
7. Oregon

badger
7/27/2011, 06:04 PM
Those what ifs might make me cry if I continue to read them :(

OUVarsityXV
7/27/2011, 06:06 PM
Sooners win every hypothetical NCG duh.

MR2-Sooner86
7/27/2011, 06:25 PM
Those what ifs might make me cry if I continue to read them :(

I try to make an interesting thread and badge just has to come in here and turn on the water works. Killin' me!

ouwasp
7/27/2011, 06:28 PM
1978... Billy Sims doesn't fumble at Nebraska's 3 yd line. Lott scores on the next play. OU beats Penn St for the MNC

1984... South Carolina does not lose an inexplicable game to Navy, thus is ranked #1 and invited to face Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl. Oklahoma destroys the cocks and edges past vastly overated BYU for the MNC

goingoneight
7/27/2011, 07:14 PM
Scenario #1
Rashaun Woods drops the touchdown pass in Norman which causes OU to barely escape another upset by in-state rival Oklahoma State. They go on to represent the South in the Big XII Championship beating Colorado. With that victory they go face Miami in hopes of winning back to back National Championships.

Who wins?

I really hate going against the home team, but OUr 2001 offense in no way gets within 20 points of Miami. I don't feel like Miami was unbeatable, it just was not a good matchup this particular year. Now, gimme Josh Heupel or a healthy Jason White, it's a different game.

Scenario #2
DeMarco Murray got hurt during the '08 Big XII Championship game. The next day it's discovered he just had a pinched nerve and will be better in a day or two. He's cleared and will be 100% for the National Championship against Florida.

Who wins?

Again, I hate to be negative Nancy, but Murray going wild on UF's defense doesn't cure five turnovers. However, it does get us into the endzone on the goal line stand IMO. Murray was just better at crossing that line, even if he had to go up and over to do it. Brown planted too hard upon the exchange and didn't make people miss nor catch the ball very well. A healthy Murray ultimately changes the offensive gameplan, as you have that swing pass option Murray was good for making defenses pay with. The way the game played out, it's still Florida's National Championship game. But, going into the MNC with Murray changes a LOT. It also changes a lot if Sam's hand is not splinted and he can play-fake better, but that's not as big an issue. It just made it easy for UF to read the misdirection plays.

Scenario #3
Florida tries but ultimately fails in a 4th quarter comeback against Alabama in the SEC Championship. This gives Alabama the victory as they go to face OU in the National Championship.

Who wins?

OU big. Bama laid a major turd against Utah and Nick Saban admitted after the game that it was because Utah exposed his pass defense. OU was pretty good at defending the run and overall MUCH better in turnover margin that year.

Scenario #4
UCLA being huge underdogs pulls off the impossible and shuts down USC. They are able to stop any 4th quarter comeback winning 24-23. With this Oklahoma jumps to #1 and Auburn to #2 where they stay that way until they meet in the National Championship game.

Who wins?

Depends on which OU shows up. The Sooner defense who shut out Vince Young and Texas plus the Sooner offense at it's season-best... we got a hell of a ballgame. The team that gave up (keywords) 55 points in the Orange Bowl and had such a giving spirit that they kept giving the opponent the ball doesn't stand a chance. Another Sooner team that's good against the run defensively and can score at will when they wanted to win. Auburn was pretty one-dimensional under Tuberville.

Scenario #5
During the '07 Tech game, when Bradford hands off to Patrick, he doesn't fumble but just runs up the middle for no gain. This doesn't cause Bradford to get a concussion, changing the game plan where Murray doesn't dislocate his kneecap. OU, with Bradford as their quarterback, wins and goes on to defeat Missouri in the Big XII Championship. With only one loss OU goes over LSU and meets Ohio State in the National Championship.

Who wins?

No question at all, it's OU. Todd Boeckman was no Troy Smith, and certainly no Tyrelle Pryor, and that team reeked of overrated from day one. They just so happened to luck out when Michigan laid the biggest turd season of all time considering who they had coming back in 2007. The fact that tOSU kept that game close initially just goes to show that LSU didn't really belong there either.

Scenario #6
The human polls give Miami the edge needed for the #2 BCS ranking. They pass FSU where they meet undefeated Oklahoma in the National Championship.

Who wins?

Having more NFL talent than the opposition doesn't win National Championships... just ask Florida. The perception of this Hurricanes from late 2000 to 2002 was that of an invincible team. They weren't even scary good, really. Plenty of teams hung in there with them. if they were oh-so-good in 2002, why was the game in doubt in the first place in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl? Josh Heupel's team was too special, and he was too smart under fire. Until someone can score on OU in that Orange Bowl, they can't beat them. if anyone thinks that Torrance Marshall and the boys wouldn't be sick and tired of hearing Miami's thugs run their mouths by January 2001, you're only kidding yourself.

Scenario #7

With their #1 ranking OU is able to hold of Missouri pulling it off late in the 4th quarter. They stumble again at A&M but are able to, again, hold off defeat and barely escape. Auburn is found to have paid for Cam Newton by evidence surfaced in the middle of the season. OU defeats OSU and Nebraska and heads to the National Championship to face one of the most high octane offenses in college football.

Who wins?
2010 National Title - OU vs Oregon[/QUOTE]

Lots of points would be scored, but I can't take OU as they weren't good against good running backs in 2010. They also needed to be better on special teams to keep up with Oregon's tricky schemes. That being said, Auburn's paper tiger defense was able to perform pretty well against Oregon's tricksy style, so it can be said that OU would have done alright also. Stoops as Co. wouldn't let this game slide from a preparation standpoint the way they did the USC, Boise State or WVU games. Not after Gordongate 2006.

Close game... shootout possibly, even. Not really ready to predict this one.

Here's a few for ya:

1. Ryan Reynolds pops back up, heads to the sideline, gets checked out, throws a knee brace on and gets back in the game... plays the rest of the game without missing a beat. What happens in OU/TX 2008?

2. Jason White is healthy for the 2004 Sugar Bowl in NOLA... what happens there?

3. Sam Bradford returns to full form after OU's 2-2 start in 2009. How does OU finish the 2009 season with him healthy the full rest of the season and how does it affect Landry Jones's development in 2010?

... and a few for thy enemy:

1. Colt McCoy gets a shot, stretches, throws a couple of sharp passes and returns to the MNC on the very next series, strong as an ox for four quarters against Alabama. What happens?

2. Brandon Weeden plays against OU in 2009. How many points does OSU put up?

3. Ricks hits the field goal dead center in 2004 to send OU-OSU to overtime. Who wins? Lucky Last Minute Lester or Stoops' Troops?

4. Snoop Minnis plays in the 2001 Orange Bowl. Does it make a difference?

5. OU punts on 4th and short at College Station in 2006. Does the defense hold onto a 1-point lead or does the FRANchise play for the BIG 12 Championship?

6. Kevin Wilson calls a QB sneak on 3rd and long to play it safe with a lead in the 2006 BIG 12 Championship Game. Does OU hold onto the lead with Nebraska's momentum mounting?

7. :mack: changes quarterbacks... do they beat BAYLOR at home?

8. IOWA STATE at home?

9. Anybody not named FAU the rest of the year? :P

10. Anyone (Hook 'em, hello?) happen to notice what enemy numbers are in bold on this list? :D

SoonerDood
7/27/2011, 07:35 PM
Scenario #1
Who wins?

Scenario #2
Who wins?

Scenario #3
Who wins?

Scenario #4
Who wins?

Scenario #5
Who wins?

Scenario #6
Who wins?

Scenario #7
Who wins?
2010 National Title - OU vs Oregon

#1- OU makes a better stand than Nebraska, but ultimately falls short.
#2- Toss up. We almost won without him, but I doubt the gameplan changes that much with him.
#3- You can't win if you don't score. Bama's lack of offense is (was) their downfall.
#4- Auburn was a paper tiger that year.
#5- Slow Big Ten team vs. anyone in bowl games? I'll take anyone. Also works for 06 vs. tOSU.
#6- The Defense was on fire that night, I'm not sure Payton Manning would've scored on us. Washington should've been there, and we would've taken care of them too.
#7- Toss up. Revisionist history makes me think we can take them.

SoonerDood
7/27/2011, 07:55 PM
Here's a few for ya:

1. Ryan Reynolds pops back up, heads to the sideline, gets checked out, throws a knee brace on and gets back in the game... plays the rest of the game without missing a beat. What happens in OU/TX 2008?

2. Jason White is healthy for the 2004 Sugar Bowl in NOLA... what happens there?

3. Sam Bradford returns to full form after OU's 2-2 start in 2009. How does OU finish the 2009 season with him healthy the full rest of the season and how does it affect Landry Jones's development in 2010?

#1- Is RR healthy just for the game or the rest of the season? Either way, we win the game. Texas was averaging less than 3 yards a play before he got hurt, and more than 8 after he left. Then we don't have to rush Box along, he doesn't get cheap-shotted against OSU ending his season and leading to a string of injuries, and... now we're in Len Bias Territory so I'll just stop.

#2- I will always be convinced if we had played LSU anywhere but the Sugar Bowl, we win by 14+. If we play anyone else besides LSU in the Sugar Bowl we win by 14+. If Justin-****ing-Vincent doesn't go 64 yards on the first play, we win.

#3- Bradford returns, we win Big 12. Nebraska doesn't get hosed in the championship game, and doesn't decide to leave the conference. Landry gets no real experience the rest of the year, and 2010 suffers as such. Nebraska wins the conference championship over <gasp> Okie State.

goingoneight
7/27/2011, 08:45 PM
I dunno if I'd say Landry would be so bad that we're not still B12 Champs in 2010... I just wonder if we simplify the offense any like we did with PT and Sam in his first year.

OUVarsityXV
7/28/2011, 10:22 AM
I seriously want to kill myself thinking about those missed opportunities. Stoops could have 3+ national championships. If that happened we would be forced to use student tuition to build a solid golden idol that towers above Owen Field. Like the tower of babel the Stoops statue would be a direct affront to god. I wouldn't even be mad.

BoulderSooner79
7/28/2011, 10:51 AM
#1 The OU defense sniffs out that draw play on 3rd and 10 and drops Kinney for a loss. NU settles for a long FG attempt which hits the post and OU runs out the clock for a 31-28 win in '71. They smoke 'Bama in the Orange bowl for the title.

#2 After out gaining USC 400+ yards to 200- yards in '73, OU manages to kick a late FG and win 10-7 instead of the 7-7 tie. They add '73 to the '74 and '75 titles.

#3 Holieway doesn't get hurt against OSU in '87 and displays his magic against the 'Canes in the Orange bowl in a 27-20 victory. Switzer gets his 5th (remember, he got '73 now).