PDA

View Full Version : Longwhorn Network? Pac-12 will have networks, plural

cvsooner
7/27/2011, 04:56 PM
Wow...didn't see this coming.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/27/pac-12-commissioner-larry-scott-drops-conference-network-bombshell/

Quote: "After what appeared to be a last-minute finalization, Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott decided to open up the New York version of Pac-12 Media Day with an announcement about the conference’s network media rights deal.

And it’s huge.

Scott announced the creation of what is now know as Pac-12 Networks (part of Pac-12 Media Enterprises), which is comprised of six regional networks and one national network that will be broadcast through four cable operators: Comcast, Time Warner Cable, COX Communications and Bright House Networks.

The four cable operators will broadcast a total of 850 sporting events — 350 events nationally and 500 events regionally — including every football game and every men’s basketball game that isn’t carried by the Pac-12′s other media rights conglomerates, ESPN and FOX."

Starts presumably in August 2012...

silverwheels
7/27/2011, 05:01 PM
And here we are, our wagon hitched to the biggest ego in the nation outside of Notre Dame, with its own television network. Sigh...

cvsooner
7/27/2011, 05:02 PM
Yep. Coulda jumped to the Pac-16, but no...

SoonerMarkVA
7/27/2011, 06:33 PM
I regretted the P-16 failing when it did. Now I really regret it.

SoonerMom2
7/27/2011, 08:29 PM
I regretted the P-16 failing when it did. Now I really regret it.

Same here -- thought it was a mistake at the time. Still have to wonder if the rumor out of College Station is true that ESPN paid TX the big bucks to stay in the Big 12 as originally it was $3M a year for the Longhorn network that jumped to $15M after they stayed. They didn't want to renegotiate their TV contracts in the SEC.

goingoneight
7/27/2011, 08:41 PM
The fact that someone thought this league was better off with two of it's name schools leaving is still a big :confused:.

Muno
7/27/2011, 08:59 PM
So they are saying that each team is expected to earn approximately $30 million on this. If true that is crazy money on top of all of the other televsion revenue coming in. Huge mistake for us to ride the Texas coat tails. Feels like we are being left behind.

spanielboy
7/27/2011, 09:25 PM
Have to give credit to the PAC10 picking Larry Scott to be their commissioner. He seems to very savy and forward thinker. With him as the uber-commish, you all, and what would have been the PAC16, would have been getting teevee exposure and big bucks.

... and what does the Flyover Conference have as a commissioner and plans to get more exposure? :(

Chuck Bao
7/27/2011, 10:22 PM
I couldn't disagree with you guys any more strongly.

OU does not belong in the Pac-12 whatever. OU does not belong in the SEC.

OU is fine where it is. But, I agree that the Big XII-II needs to get a new commissioner.

I still think that OU can set up its own sports channel relatively cheaply. No, there wouldn't be a huge payoff and no national audience with contracts with the four largest cable TV companies or maybe there could be with no huge payoff expected.

I thought that the OU athletic department was still budget positive. What would change that?

* I didn't think that OU sports facilities were that far behind the best out there.
* I didn't know that we had to keep up with the Jones. I had thought we were the Jones.
* Are we anticipating that coaching salaries are going to double or triple over the next 5-8 years?
* We don't need a megalomanic athletic director who looks at profits and power over the enjoyment and ability of the fan base to attend games.
* We don't seem to be hurting too much on recruiting by playing 3 football games in northern Texas each year. I would be very slow to hitch the Sooner Schooner to any other conference affiliation, west coast or south coast. A short-term monetary payout may not be worth it.

yankee
7/27/2011, 10:46 PM
Damn. Looks like we done goofed.

badger
7/28/2011, 08:44 AM
So they are saying that each team is expected to earn approximately $30 million on this. If true that is crazy money on top of all of the other televsion revenue coming in. Huge mistake for us to ride the Texas coat tails. Feels like we are being left behind.

The funny thing is that's less than what Bevo will make with the Whorn network annually (20 years, $300 mil).

Eff the LHN. Time to start a Big 12 Network or find a better home elsewhere in the SEC or Pac 16

soonervegas
7/28/2011, 09:30 AM
But, but Dan Beebe wrote a five-page document marked “confidential,” and titled, “The Case For The Big 12.”

You all should be thankful.

OUVarsityXV
7/28/2011, 10:18 AM
Texas will be independent here in the near future.

badger
7/28/2011, 10:24 AM
But, but Dan Beebe wrote a five-page document marked “confidential,” and titled, “The Case For The Big 12.”

You all should be thankful.

He also probably hired some crappy firm to come up with the "This is how..." campaign that's currently on another thread and the fark board.

Seriously... what has Beebe done to really move the Big 12 forward other than getting rid of dead weight Colorado

NormanPride
7/28/2011, 10:26 AM
The funny thing is that's less than what Bevo will make with the Whorn network annually (20 years, $300 mil).

Eff the LHN. Time to start a Big 12 Network or find a better home elsewhere in the SEC or Pac 16
Hon, is my math wrong? Texas is getting 10M a year and the Pac 12 is getting 30, right? Or is that 30 number not per year?

NormanPride
7/28/2011, 10:27 AM
He also probably hired some crappy firm to come up with the "This is how..." campaign that's currently on another thread and the fark board.

Seriously... what has Beebe done to really move the Big 12 forward other than getting rid of dead weight Colorado
Also, how is getting rid of one of our larger markets (Denver) moving the conference forward?

soonervegas
7/28/2011, 10:28 AM
Beebe showed his worth when he let Colorado and Nebraska walk.......there is no real reason that should have happened.

Muno
7/28/2011, 01:30 PM
Hon, is my math wrong? Texas is getting 10M a year and the Pac 12 is getting 30, right? Or is that 30 number not per year?

Texas is receiving $15M per year from the LHN. I looked into potential payouts and the $30M is very inflated. Based on a few articles I've read most are speculating that each team will make $6-8M from the PAC 12 network. By way of comparison each team in the Big 10 makes about $9M from the Big 10 network. I had heard OU officials were hoping to generate $3-5M per year with a Sooner Network so it will be interesting to see how that plays out. Personally I think the conference networks are much more appealing than individual school networks.

Kray
7/28/2011, 02:09 PM
Texas may have made less with a packaged conference network than $15 million per year, but the overall revenue, and the revenue we would have realized would have been more than otherwise. If the P12 can get $6-$8 million per school, wouldn't the Big 12 be able to generate more?

I still think a conference network minus Texas is a good idea. Sooner network is a matter of eyeballs, and a lack thereof in Oklahoma vs. a footprint from Texas to Iowa.

badger
7/28/2011, 02:15 PM
I misunderstood. It sounded like each team was getting $30 mil, which would dwarf the LHN's annual payment to Bevo.

I would rather have a better network with other Big 12 partners included than have a crappy network to ourselves, regardless of the payment size. Watching OU sports in low def on a high def TV is craptacular.

Muno
7/28/2011, 02:23 PM
Texas may have made less with a packaged conference network than $15 million per year, but the overall revenue, and the revenue we would have realized would have been more than otherwise. If the P12 can get $6-$8 million per school, wouldn't the Big 12 be able to generate more?

I still think a conference network minus Texas is a good idea. Sooner network is a matter of eyeballs, and a lack thereof in Oklahoma vs. a footprint from Texas to Iowa.

Without Texas on Board I'm not sure how the Big 12 could generate more revenue than the Pac 12 deal. There are a lot more television sets in the PAC 12 region than the Big 12 region minus Texas.

Kray
7/28/2011, 02:59 PM
Without Texas on Board I'm not sure how the Big 12 could generate more revenue than the Pac 12 deal. There are a lot more television sets in the PAC 12 region than the Big 12 region minus Texas.

That's what I meant - with UT, a Big 12 network would have probably generated more than the Pac 12. Yeah, their markets are bigger and more, but they aren't passionate college football fans, a few areas aside.

Even without UT, would a network that included us and the other 8 schools still make sense? Would it be more than we could make on our own? I don't profess to know, but if you had TT, aTM, and Baylor, you'd get just as many Texas cable systems as UT could on its own. You'd get all of Oklahoma, all of Kansas, all of Missouri, and at least some of Iowa. Smaller than the Pac 12 footprint, but more watched in general, I'd bet.

IndySooner
7/28/2011, 03:00 PM
The $30 million figure is each school's total payout from the Tier 1 and 2 agreements, plus the network at $6.9 million per school.

That's still more than Texas is going to make.

That's also MUCH more than we're going to make.

LASooner
7/28/2011, 03:57 PM
I couldn't disagree with you guys any more strongly.

OU does not belong in the Pac-12 whatever. OU does not belong in the SEC.

OU is fine where it is. But, I agree that the Big XII-II needs to get a new commissioner.

Here's where you're getting lost in this. Had OU made that move last year, We would have basically still been playing the 4 of the other 5 teams from the Big 12 South. It's not exactly like the University would pick up and move to Wilshire Blvd. in West LA. If you're playing Texas, Texas A&M, OSU, Tech and Colorado every year, how do we not fit in that league? We already play them. We would also happen to play the Arizona schools, and 2 west coast teams, and not all on the west coast, I'm fairly certain they would still let us play home games. With the conference title game played at home stadiums and now with this network announcement, how can you not see this is a big loss for those teams not named Texas who were going to leave for the Pac-16?

silverwheels
7/28/2011, 04:26 PM
Larry Scott still believes that the Pac-12 will be the Pac-16 someday, so there is still hope.

And yeah, Texas is either going to remain in the Big 12 and be the big dog or go independent. They're not going to let any other schools with any sort of muscle in decision-making in their conference and vice versa.

soonervegas
7/28/2011, 04:28 PM
Larry Scott still believes that the Pac-12 will be the Pac-16 someday, so there is still hope.

And yeah, Texas is either going to remain in the Big 12 and be the big dog or go independent. They're not going to let any other schools with any sort of muscle in decision-making in their conference and vice versa.

Therefore, we are like a hostage with stockholm syndrome....

IndySooner
7/28/2011, 04:33 PM

And by the way, this is going to kill Texas if they keep thinking this way. Within the next five years, we'll have four major conferences with 16 teams. Texas and Notre Dame will both have to be a part of it. If they're not, they won't have anyone to play.

MeMyself&Me
7/28/2011, 04:49 PM
I misunderstood. It sounded like each team was getting $30 mil, which would dwarf the LHN's annual payment to Bevo.

I would rather have a better network with other Big 12 partners included than have a crappy network to ourselves, regardless of the payment size. Watching OU sports in low def on a high def TV is craptacular.

This is my sentiment. I can't imagine having my local cable, satellite is just that much better. I can't see either satellite company carrying a Sooner only network in HD. SR = Bleh

If there's going to be superconferences, there won't be any indies because scheduling would be too difficult.

SoonerMom2
7/28/2011, 06:54 PM
We can leave after 2012 with no penalty -- we should go the PAC 10 which is a better for the style of ball we play. Not to mention I would love to go west to watch the Sooners much more than going East.

You could have the four Big 12 schools, two AZ schools, and two LA schools in the south and the rest in the north.

Think A&M is headed for the SEC which leaves what three schools other than OU? This may be why the PAC 10 stopped expansion at 12 teams leaving room for four more.

MeMyself&Me
7/28/2011, 09:33 PM
We can leave after 2012 with no penalty -- we should go the PAC 10 which is a better for the style of ball we play. Not to mention I would love to go west to watch the Sooners much more than going East.

You could have the four Big 12 schools, two AZ schools, and two LA schools in the south and the rest in the north.

Think A&M is headed for the SEC which leaves what three schools other than OU? This may be why the PAC 10 stopped expansion at 12 teams leaving room for four more.

I really liked the idea of Pac-16 last year with an east/west division and two cross division games so that there was only 1 coastal trip per year. I still like a Pac-16 deal if it were divided east/west and three other Big 12 teams went with OU. I like that a LOT better than SEC.

If the Pac was going to 16 I think that would force Texas's hand because other conferences would follow suite and Texas would need to go somewhere. Indy would not be a viable option for them in a world of super conferences due to scheduling issues. So Texas would need a home and I think they'd go to the Pac. All forcing their hand would take is to get the Pac to invite three schools from the Big 12. Which three? If aTm really does want to go SEC, that makes it easy... OU, Tech, and OSU. Just tell Tejas it's a done deal and, if they're smart, they'll go too. :D