PDA

View Full Version : Can we duplicate the 2000 season

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/27/2011, 02:48 PM
Don't think this is a jinx. Or, if you do, note that the genie is already out of the bottle. An old Sooner buddy sent me this article. I like it.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/15356592/sooners-can-duplicate-2000-title-run-but-not-the-aura

SoonerofAlabama
7/27/2011, 02:54 PM
Great article.

SoCaliSooner
7/27/2011, 02:56 PM
If we played every game at home...yes. We suck on the road and Landry has to show he's not a head case when the game is on the line. We'll play teams much better than UConn. Florida State is going to be a big test...Texas too...but Oklahoma State is going to be the toughest test.

7/27/2011, 03:00 PM
If we played every game at home...yes. We suck on the road and Landry has to show he's not a head case when the game is on the line. We'll play teams much better than UConn. Florida State is going to be a big test...Texas too...but Oklahoma State is going to be the toughest test.FSUCriminoles scare me more than orange aggy. The Crims haven't beaten OU since the days of Steve Tensi and Fred Biletnikoff, and have a BURNING DESIRE to do so. Esp, in front of the home folks.

madillsoonerfan5353
7/27/2011, 03:04 PM
If we played every game at home...yes. We suck on the road and Landry has to show he's not a head case when the game is on the line. We'll play teams much better than UConn. Florida State is going to be a big test...Texas too...but Oklahoma State is going to be the toughest test.

Head Case? I strongly disagree. I recall being down 17 points to some team that had a top 10 defense and coming back to win? I recall Landry throwing a couple picks on the road against oSu and righting the ship in the second half to win. Josh had some games where he threw more then one pick in a game. Landry had some help in the two road losses we had last year. Herby said it best in the Big 12 CCG, Landry is CLUTCH.

:gary:

KantoSooner
7/27/2011, 03:05 PM
Well, you could play the old 'the world is against us' card and try to construct a siege mentality. But really, I think that's negative.

On the other hand, you could give the team the whole, 'very few have your gifts, your teammates' gifts and the opportunity to live up to the highest tradition in college football. Very few have the chance to finally stand at the pinnacle and belong alongside the Wilkinson and Switzer teams...and the team that Coach Hype played and won with. There might be great plays, but the season will not be won by them; the season will be won through consistent effort and implacable will. It is up to each individual on this team to seize this moment in their lives and live it to the fullest. Your coaches can help you, but it will be you, the players, who get there or fail in the attempt. This can be your time. Grab the cup and drink it dry."

Yeah....something like that would be a little more positive.

LVSOONER15
7/27/2011, 03:09 PM
Great write up, these kids need to be ready to give it their all. BOOMER!!!

7/27/2011, 03:10 PM
Well, you could play the old 'the world is against us' card and try to construct a siege mentality. But really, I think that's negative.

On the other hand, you could give the team the whole, 'very few have your gifts, your teammates' gifts and the opportunity to live up to the highest tradition in college football. Very few have the chance to finally stand at the pinnacle and belong alongside the Wilkinson and Switzer teams...and the team that Coach Hype played and won with. There might be great plays, but the season will not be won by them; the season will be won through consistent effort and implacable will. It is up to each individual on this team to seize this moment in their lives and live it to the fullest. Your coaches can help you, but it will be you, the players, who get there or fail in the attempt. This can be your time. Grab the cup and drink it dry."

Yeah....something like that would be a little more positive.nice pep talk! Did you write it? Screw the Winklevoss!(unless that is your family's name, of course)

The Maestro
7/27/2011, 03:21 PM

So....you missed the last part of last season I take it.

yankee
7/27/2011, 03:28 PM

So it IS true, Californians do have their heads stuck up their asses!

madillsoonerfan5353
7/27/2011, 03:33 PM

THIS^^^^^

KantoSooner
7/27/2011, 03:42 PM
nice pep talk! Did you write it? Screw the Winklevoss!(unless that is your family's name, of course)

yep.
And no, winklevoss is not my name.

OUVarsityXV
7/27/2011, 03:45 PM

WTF are you talking about. The last three games of the season were the perfect example of how to be clutch as a QB. If Landry just played this last season at OU he would be a very memorable QB. He is going to be legit this year. POW!

FirstAndGoalOU
7/27/2011, 04:22 PM
Yes.
UYdk2H55AT0
NwM0i7psJ1Q&NR
a0CHjahWtxU
What can Josh Do?
dxdQC-eWtAw
5q_w0LJNm3E
PyI5RtCsD8A
_L_NyfXnK9w

2011-12
[Y7EokRLFL34

NormanPride
7/27/2011, 05:04 PM
Not gonna bash you like everyone else has. Landry still has a lot to prove, IMO. But that can be a good thing - keeps him honest. He improved a TON last year, especially after the A&M road loss. Watching him play against Baylor it was like a light came on.

SyN
7/27/2011, 08:19 PM
No! That 00 Team was so so special... That 22 was strong as a bull with the heart of a Lion... No one really knows if Finch is even healthy again? Is Finch a clone of That 22...I think he is dam close... Landry is not Magical like Josh was...Can he be? Maybe! This yr is his yr to really prove himself...Everyone knows our Receiver Core is one of the best in the Country....We have a stud Fullback...Offensive Line is the big ? Again! OU TEs are growing up Fast!

But this yrs Defense is not close to the 00 defense... And IMHO and many others--->Defense Wins Championships... OU DT have to show they can stop the run... and the Big Plays Kill Us... But with that all said... I hope I am 100% Wrong... Ok Flame Away!! That's what your good at...

Lets play one game at a time!!

SoCaliSooner
7/27/2011, 09:04 PM

I saw the A&M game where we laid a turd on the road against a team we were clearly better than... I saw the Oklahoma State game where we had to hold on to win against while allowing a team we are better than to score over 40....and I saw us barely beat Nebraska after pummeling their QB...and I saw a substandard UConn roll up 20 against our D.

theresonly1OU
7/27/2011, 10:12 PM
I saw the A&M game where we laid a turd on the road against a team we were clearly better than... I saw the Oklahoma State game where we had to hold on to win against while allowing a team we are better than to score over 40....and I saw us barely beat Nebraska after pummeling their QB...and I saw a substandard UConn roll up 20 against our D.

And I see a dooshbag who doesn't get the point.

Salt City Sooner
7/27/2011, 10:23 PM
1. Better than? Possibly. Clearly? Hardly, & especially in their house.

2. Yeah, it's not like OSU was #3 in the nation in scoring offense, had a pick 6, a KO return for a TD, & STILL didn't get their average in their own crib.

3. Dang, I didn't realize that field goals were worth 10 points a piece now, because that's all UConn got against our defense. I guess Jimmy Stevens had definitely better be ready to go now because he's more important than I thought.

7/28/2011, 12:34 AM
No! That 00 Team was so so special... That 22 was strong as a bull with the heart of a Lion... No one really knows if Finch is even healthy again? Is Finch a clone of That 22...I think he is dam close... Landry is not Magical like Josh was...Can he be? Maybe! This yr is his yr to really prove himself...Everyone knows our Receiver Core is one of the best in the Country....We have a stud Fullback...Offensive Line is the big ? Again! OU TEs are growing up Fast!

But this yrs Defense is not close to the 00 defense... And IMHO and many others--->Defense Wins Championships... OU DT have to show they can stop the run... and the Big Plays Kill Us... But with that all said... I hope I am 100% Wrong... Ok Flame Away!! That's what your good at...

Lets play one game at a time!!Boo Blake was as good a recruiter as he was bad as a coach.

SoonerofAlabama
7/28/2011, 12:37 AM
As the article states, we won't. We can have these undefeated seasons, but it will never have that luster like the 2000 season. I'm fine with having the biggest dog in the fight, especially if it brings #8. :D

TheLadiesMike
7/28/2011, 12:59 AM

I figure you're trolling but OSU scored 27 on offense and UConn scored 6.

OUVarsityXV
7/28/2011, 10:26 AM
I really don't care if we re-create the aura. I just want to raise the trophy. Championships are championships.

The Maestro
7/28/2011, 11:04 AM

The only player you called out in your original post was Landry Jones. What does he have to do with OSU scoring 40 or UConn scoring 20?

You act like aTm, OSU, Nebraska and UConn were all slouches. We lost a couple of games...on the road to decent teams despite rallying back from lousy starts.

No one doubts OU can get better, but your original post and then the follow up are lame. Or you are in the category of fan that has unrealistic expectations to win every game, every year.