PDA

View Full Version : Benvenutti's in Norman

C&CDean
7/27/2011, 02:19 PM
I'm pretty sure somewhere on this board I dissed this place. Momma and I went in one time and I had my heart set on "real Italian food." Nary a veal parmagiana/veal marsala/milanese/chicken cacciatore type dish on the menu. We had a drink and left.

Last Friday night, we decided to give it a try again. She got the lobster ravioli, and I got the Pasta from Hell. We split the scallop appetizer and a salad.

I have to say it was one of the better meals I've eaten in Norman in a very, very long time. In fact, I'd give it a solid 4.5 outta 5. If you haven't given them a shot I recommend it.

TIA.

Mississippi Sooner
7/27/2011, 02:24 PM
I couldn't turn down a dish called Pasta from Hell.

BillyBall
7/27/2011, 02:29 PM
No one could possibly pass on a dish called Pasta from Hell.

C&CDean
7/27/2011, 02:32 PM
Well I sure as **** couldn't. **** was good too. Italian sausage, pepperoni, pastrami (yes pastrami), jalapenos, light cream sauce, and some other stuff. Like I said, **** was good.

Cheez-It
7/27/2011, 02:33 PM
I have eaten there once a few years ago. It was a very nice dinner.

sooner_born_1960
7/27/2011, 02:35 PM
Vulgar, ignorant, tacky, embarrassing are just a few of the adjectives that describe this restaurant.

WichitaSooner
7/27/2011, 02:36 PM
I have eaten there once a few years ago. It was a very nice dinner.

What a coincidence.... I ALSO have eaten there only once... a few years ago.

Howzit
7/27/2011, 02:37 PM
Vulgar, ignorant, tacky, embarrassing are just a few of the adjectives that describe this restaurant.

You are obviously incorrect in your assessment.

Partial Qualifier
7/27/2011, 02:41 PM
Well I sure as **** couldn't. **** was good too. Italian sausage, pepperoni, pastrami (yes pastrami), jalapenos, light cream sauce, and some other stuff. Like I said, **** was good.

Damn, that *does* sound good. And I remember your less-than-glowing review of the place, which was part of the reason I hadn't tried it yet (the delicious-sounding review in Oklahoma Magazine notwithstanding)

sooner_born_1960
7/27/2011, 02:41 PM
You are obviously incorrect in your assessment.
This chef embarrassed himself and made his restaurant a laughingstock.

Howzit
7/27/2011, 02:43 PM
bork bork

Cheez-It
7/27/2011, 02:49 PM
What a coincidence.... I ALSO have eaten there only once... a few years ago.

Funny I remember it being a nice dinner. Can't remember who we went with...

C&CDean
7/27/2011, 02:50 PM
Damn, that *does* sound good. And I remember your less-than-glowing review of the place, which was part of the reason I hadn't tried it yet (the delicious-sounding review in Oklahoma Magazine notwithstanding)

Well to be fair, my bad review didn't include the food. It was more the menu.

Oh yeah, those scallops were the best I've had in a very long time. They were pan seared and served on top of sauteed green beans. You only get 2 scallops, but they were some of the sweetest/best textured sea boogers I've ever had.

C&CDean
7/27/2011, 02:50 PM
This chef embarrassed himself and made his restaurant a laughingstock.

Why don't you stick to things you know something about - like lesbian marches on the Capitol.

The
7/27/2011, 02:52 PM

Drunky.

sooner_born_1960
7/27/2011, 02:53 PM
Why don't you stick to things you know something about - like lesbian marches on the Capitol.
I'll take my husband.

C&CDean
7/27/2011, 02:54 PM
I'll take my husband.

Is he a man?

sooner_born_1960
7/27/2011, 02:58 PM
Is he a man?
More of a man than you are.

SoCaliSooner
7/27/2011, 02:59 PM
We ate there a few years ago and it was probably one of the worst Italian places we've ever had a meal. If somebody told me they were using Prego or Ragu sauces, I'd believe it.

C&CDean
7/27/2011, 02:59 PM
More of a man than you are.

But is he hot?

I got nothin'...

sooner_born_1960
7/27/2011, 03:00 PM
But is he hot?

I got nothin'...
Yeah, I ran out of stuff a while back.

C&CDean
7/27/2011, 03:01 PM
We ate there a few years ago and it was probably one of the worst Italian places we've ever had a meal. If somebody told me they were using Prego or Ragu sauces, I'd believe it.

I don't even remember seeing anything with "red sauce" on the menu.

Here's the "pasta" portion of their menu. I'm calling bull****.

http://benvenutisristorante.com/pdf/pasta.pdf

Howzit
7/27/2011, 03:03 PM
Yeah, I ran out of stuff a while back.

Your husband probably drained you.

SoCaliSooner
7/27/2011, 03:05 PM
I don't even remember seeing anything with "red sauce" on the menu.

Here's the "pasta" portion of their menu. I'm calling bull****.

http://benvenutisristorante.com/pdf/pasta.pdf

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Wq0Oj4vKOoY/S4KZDvwK1BI/AAAAAAAABZo/nbfuaICHbu0/s400/prego.jpg

http://www.lonestarshopping.com/austingrocer/graphics/Grocery_Images/canned_pasta_sauce_ragu_alfredo.jpg

WichitaSooner
7/27/2011, 03:05 PM

I'm pretty sure it was T & A... and maybe Daniel.... And for some reason I don't think his wife was there, but I could be making that last part up.

Howzit
7/27/2011, 03:06 PM
I get the feeling you two are doing it.

C&CDean
7/27/2011, 03:07 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Wq0Oj4vKOoY/S4KZDvwK1BI/AAAAAAAABZo/nbfuaICHbu0/s400/prego.jpg

http://www.lonestarshopping.com/austingrocer/graphics/Grocery_Images/canned_pasta_sauce_ragu_alfredo.jpg

Yeah, I'm sure this guy pops the top on a ragu. Meh. You're just trolling.

http://benvenutisristorante.com/

C&CDean
7/27/2011, 03:08 PM

Well if so he's doing it right cause Cheezit cops the Big O pretty regular I've heard.

Howzit
7/27/2011, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't be surprised. WichitaSooner sounds dreamy.

Boomer.....
7/27/2011, 03:10 PM
We ate there a few months ago and teh wife got the pasta from hell. Very good but spicy. I got the lasagna and the slice filled an entire plate. We left very full and happy.

WichitaSooner
7/27/2011, 03:10 PM

Well if so he's doing it right cause Cheezit cops the Big O pretty regular I've heard.

Two of these statements are currently true

:D

tator
7/27/2011, 03:13 PM
My guess is 1 and 3

3rdgensooner
7/27/2011, 03:13 PM
Did I step into some kind of 2006 time warp cause it's all deja-vuey up in here.

The
7/27/2011, 03:15 PM
Did I step into some kind of 2006 time warp cause it's all deja-vuey up in here.
http://www.reelcomix.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Rocky-Horror-Picture-Show.jpg

Nope.

3rdgensooner
7/27/2011, 03:17 PM
http://www.reelcomix.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Rocky-Horror-Picture-Show.jpg

Nope.

Wichita wears platforms and stockings?

C&CDean
7/27/2011, 03:17 PM
Man that's one ****ty flick.

WichitaSooner
7/27/2011, 03:32 PM

Wichita wears platforms and stockings?

3 of these are currently true.

DIB
7/27/2011, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I'm sure this guy pops the top on a ragu. Meh. You're just trolling.

http://benvenutisristorante.com/

Cdiz0k0Rudw

The
7/27/2011, 03:48 PM
Cdiz0k0Rudw

Have I told you lately... that I love you?

http://www.oldradioshows.com/photos/lionelrichiethen.jpg __________________

Sooner_Tuf
7/27/2011, 03:53 PM

Don't be hating on Ragu. I haven't ever had anything as good as Ragu there.

It's OK but if you are craving Italian they don't really have that. It is Italian-like.

I'll have to try the Pasta from Hell. Sounds like it has some good reviews here.

C&CDean
7/27/2011, 03:58 PM

It's OK but if you are craving Italian they don't really have that. It is Italian-like.

I'll have to try the Pasta from Hell. Sounds like it has some good reviews here.

If you read the little bio on the chef I think it explains a lot. There is certainly a French influence in his cooking. And I agree, it ain't hardcore Italian food. However, it's damn good quasi-Italian food.

Chuck Bao
7/27/2011, 03:58 PM

What the hell, man? All of my best buds are pissing me off today.

Rocky Horror Picture Show is the best use of celluloid in the history of mankind. Don't you dare talk bad about it. And, it all took place just outside Denton. True story.

Besides that light sauce on pasta? And, then you get the antipasta heaped on top? Why didn't you just order a friggin' salad?

Now, who is the queer here?

C&CDean
7/27/2011, 04:00 PM

Rocky Horror Picture Show is the best use of celluloid in the history of mankind. Don't you dare talk bad about it. And, it all took place just outside Denton. True story.

Besides that light sauce on pasta? And, then you get the antipasta heaped on top? Why didn't you just order a friggin' salad?

Like I said, you're killing me today Chuck.

You digging on RHPS pretty much answers your question my brother. I got drug to that POS I don't know how many years ago by some bimbette I was dating. Freaked me the **** out the first time. Reminded me of my first time in a Catholic church. Everybody had a bunch of **** memorized, they all knew when to stand/kneel/answer the priest/dip it in holy water, etc. Kinda like the RHPS fanatics.

C&CDean
7/27/2011, 04:02 PM
Oh, and I'm fixin' to hit the shower and go to Abner's for $3 burger night. You can't go wrong there either.

3rdgensooner
7/27/2011, 04:04 PM
Rocky Horror Picture Show is a classic. You can hate on it all you want. But it will not change it's classic stature.

C&CDean
7/27/2011, 04:06 PM
Oh I never said it wasn't a classic. I just said it's a ****ed up flick. A seriously ****ed up flick - although not quite as ****ed up as the people who dress up and know all the words by heart, throw the rice, etc. - present company obviously excluded.

3rdgensooner
7/27/2011, 04:09 PM
Kinda like the ones at Harry Potter I-VII.

Or Star Wars (whatever to whatever).

Or Star Trek conventions

Or Comic Con

tator
7/27/2011, 04:09 PM
Nice knowing you 3g :(

C&CDean
7/27/2011, 04:15 PM
Kinda like the ones at Harry Potter I-VII.

Or Star Wars (whatever to whatever).

Or Star Trek conventions

Or Comic Con

No, nothing like them at all - although I will say they're almost as ****ed up. RHPS fanatics take it to a whole other level. I semi-remember going to one at the Sooner Theater years ago. Everybody was mindblowingly wasted, and a couple of the chicks all dressed up puked all over the place but other than that, it was alright I guess. The movie still sucked though.

KantoSooner
7/27/2011, 04:29 PM
You obviously need to do the time warp again.

it's not hard. Just a jump to your left, and a step to your right, as I recall...

Might be a good activity for a tailgate!

So to speak.

Ctina
7/27/2011, 04:33 PM
I dressed up for this last years show. I even talked my husband into doing it. I didn't win the costume contest, but I had fun going up on stage for it!

Sooner_Tuf
7/27/2011, 04:34 PM

That right there is sig material!

The
7/27/2011, 04:34 PM
I dressed up for this last years show. I even talked my husband into doing it. I didn't win the costume contest, but I had fun going up on stage for it!

Why does this not surprise me in the least bit?

Ctina
7/27/2011, 04:37 PM
Why does this not surprise me in the least bit?

I may be chubby, but your eyes would still have bugged out at my fabulousness spilling over my bustier.

OutlandTrophy
7/27/2011, 04:42 PM
I'm pretty sure somewhere on this board I dissed this place. TIA.

you did. we snickered behind your back.

the pasta from hell is good, the lobster ravioli is almost too rich but very good.

We love the place. We normally get the Fornarina as an appitizer.

soonerboomer93
7/27/2011, 04:52 PM
I may be chubby, but your eyes would still have bugged out at my fabulousness spilling over my bustier.

TTIWWP

The
7/27/2011, 04:54 PM
TTIWWP

Have you ever dropped a can of biscuits on the floor, and it pops open?

Chuck Bao
7/27/2011, 04:57 PM
While I am on the history of mankind, antipasto with fresh cantaloupe gets my vote for one greatest taste combinations of all time.

GDC
7/27/2011, 05:03 PM
This is where my wife always made me take her for special occasions when we lived in Norman. I liked it, and quite often you could listen to Coach Switzer hold court at the bar.

SoCaliSooner
7/27/2011, 05:18 PM

My wife's grandfather owned an italian restaurant for years out here. All their pastas were hand made and hand stuffed. All their sauces were done from scratch. My mother in law worked there growing up and they've passed recipes and cooking tips on to my wife. There are a ton of italian restaurants out here but there may only be 9 or 10 we like.

If you ever have actual hand made pasta and sauces made with fresh ingredients, you'll taste the difference between that and boxed pasta with canned sauce.

Ctina
7/27/2011, 05:25 PM
TTIWWP

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz327/ctina_1973/rocky-1.jpg

Have you ever dropped a can of biscuits on the floor, and it pops open?

You'd still try to take a bite out of it though.

Sooner_Tuf
7/27/2011, 05:44 PM
My wife's grandfather owned an italian restaurant for years out here. All their pastas were hand made and hand stuffed. All their sauces were done from scratch. My mother in law worked there growing up and they've passed recipes and cooking tips on to my wife. There are a ton of italian restaurants out here but there may only be 9 or 10 we like.

If you ever have actual hand made pasta and sauces made with fresh ingredients, you'll taste the difference between that and boxed pasta with canned sauce.

Well I thought I had but after reading your story I realize the only authentic Italian Food available was before I was born.

AlboSooner
7/27/2011, 06:15 PM
Welcome's

Partial Qualifier
7/27/2011, 06:16 PM
TTIWWP

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz327/ctina_1973/rocky-1.jpg

You'd still try to take a bite out of it though.

/thread no longer worthless

StoopTroup
7/27/2011, 06:49 PM
I have gone to plenty of Restaurants that if I only tried one meal there....they would have never seen me walk in the door again. Ti Amos in Tulsa for example. I had a pasta there once that was Pesto based. Not my thing. Mahogany's Steak House does a filet with gorgonzola on it....I about puked. Worst Steak Ever. Both those places are great places to eat however there are just certain meals they do that I like.

I think as Dean found out about Benvenutti's is true of lots of good restaurants. Not every dish they do should be used to decide if it's worth eating at however the more they have that are to ones taste...the better chance they have of surviving these days.

The Pasta from Hell sounds good. I might have to give it a try sometime.

Jammin'
7/27/2011, 06:55 PM
I've never understood people's love of Italian food. And I've eaten an all day meal on New Year's Day at Charles Amorosa's parents house in Brooklyn. It was the best I've had by far but it doesn't compare to a steak or sushi IMO.

Ctina
7/27/2011, 06:56 PM
You can probably blame the gorgonzola. That is the nastiest stuff ever. Dirty feet dipped in wd-40.

C&CDean
7/27/2011, 09:50 PM

Hand made pasta? Check.

Sauces from scratch? Check.

Several generations of passing recipes on? Check.

Dude, just cause you're in socal doesn't mean you know something about good food that others don't. The **** at this place is very far from "boxed pasta and canned sauce." IDGAS how many Italian goddesses you know or dreamed about ****ing. Good food is good food. The food there is good. Very good. I'm willing to eat my crow for dissing the place since I did it in ignorance (like I said, I dissed the menu, not the food). You, on the other hand...

C&CDean
7/27/2011, 09:50 PM
You can probably blame the gorgonzola. That is the nastiest stuff ever. Dirty feet dipped in wd-40.

You shut your whore mouth.

Soonerus
7/27/2011, 10:18 PM
Best restaurant in Norman !!!!