PDA

View Full Version : Boise State can't wear all blue uniforms at home for Mountain West games

SoCal
7/27/2011, 10:11 AM
LAS VEGAS — The Boise State football team will not be allowed to wear blue pants and blue jerseys in home Mountain West Conference games, coach Chris Petersen said Tuesday.

The prohibition applies only to Boise State and was part of the school’s agreement to join the league.

“I thought it was ridiculous,” Petersen said of his reaction. “… That’s our colors. That’s who we are. That’s who our fans have wanted us to be since I’ve been at Boise State. That’s what it’s been through and through.”

Said commissioner Craig Thompson: “What we had heard from our coaches is ‘a competitive advantage.’ It’s as simple as that.”

Boise State has worn all blue uniforms at home for many years, but occasionally has worn something else — most notably all orange last year against Fresno State.

There have been rumblings among opposing coaches for years that the Broncos had an advantage with their blue uniforms on the blue turf. Mountain West members expressed a concern about the uniforms when the league was considering Boise State’s membership bid in summer 2010 and the school agreed to the rule as a condition of its membership, commissioner Craig Thompson said.

The rule doesn’t apply to schools that have green uniforms and play on green fields, like Colorado State and Hawaii.

One complaint from coaches is that it’s difficult to watch video of the Broncos’ home games. Petersen said that’s true, but shouldn’t be an issue as schools switch to high definition.

The Broncos will use a combination of colors at home but likely will wear all blue for their non-conference games. They have white, orange and blue pants and white, orange, blue and gray jerseys.

“Nike has saved us by giving us a bunch of different combinations,” Petersen said. “… If we can’t wear what we want to wear, then we will wear a bunch of different other stuff.”

The Broncos’ first Mountain West home game is Oct. 22 vs. Air Force.

"We've got enough color combinations that we'll still look good on the blue," quarterback Kellen Moore said.

Other notes from Petersen:

— The three preseason practices that the Broncos lost to the self-imposed penalties for their NCAA violations are spread throughout the month of August. The Broncos still will have two two-a-days. Petersen could have removed all two-a-days to deal with the practice reduction. “It’s different and it’s hard and sometimes they just need to do something hard,” he said.

— Petersen hasn’t figured out how he will reduce his scholarships by three over two years, beginning this fall. He declined comment on the NCAA violations until the NCAA delivers its ruling, likely later this summer.

— Petersen isn’t sure he likes the way the new bridge program for freshmen worked. It prevented the housing issues that got the school in trouble with the NCAA, but six credits and workouts might have been too much for the athletes. “It was intense for those kids,” he said. “They were overwhelmed in a big way. … I’m going to really grill them when I get back and analyze it.”

— The coaches haven’t finalized the grayshirt list, but Petersen doesn’t expect many.

— On Georgia coach Mark Richt using the Boise State game to propel his program: “He’s in a good spot and I think he knows it — from a coaching standpoint. They’ve got a huge chip on their shoulder, they’ve got good players, they’ve got good coaches, they’re very motivated.”

— Boise State isn’t going out of its way to prepare for Air Force, the way some other schools do. Petersen said he might sneak a little bit of option work into the schedule before game week, but not much.

•••

Boise State has an updated depth chart in the Mountain West media guide. It’s below:

QB: Kellen Moore; Joe Southwick/Grant Hedrick
RB: Doug Martin; D.J. Harper
FB: Dan Paul; Chandler Koch
WR: Geraldo Boldewijn; Aaron Burks
WR: Tyler Shoemaker; Mitch Burroughs
WR: Chris Potter; Kirby Moore
TE: Kyle Efaw; Gabe Linehan
LT: Nate Potter; Zach Waller
LG: Joe Kellogg; Faraji Wright
C: Thomas Byrd; Matt Paradis
RG: Chuck Hayes; Jake Broyles
RT: Charles Leno Jr.; Brenel Myers

DE: Tyrone Crawford/Jarrell Root
DT: Billy Winn; Ricky Tjong-A-Tjoe
DT: Chase Baker; Mike Atkinson
DE: Shea McClellin/Jarrell Root
MLB: Byron Hout/Tommy Smith
WLB: Aaron Tevis/J.C. Percy
N: Hunter White; Jonathan Brown/Dextrell Simmons
CB: Jamar Taylor; Antwon Murray
CB: Jerrell Gavins; Bryan Douglas
S: Cedric Febis; Jeremy Ioane
S: George Iloka; Travis Stanaway

K: Dan Goodale; Trevor Harman
KR: Doug Martin; D.J. Harper
PR: Chris Potter; Mitch Burroughs
KO: Trevor Harman; Dan Goodale
H: Joe Southwick
P: Brad Elkin; Trevor Harman
LS: Chris Roberson

Worth noting: "I don't think we have depth charts," Petersen said. "You've got Kellen and Doug and guys where you're going, 'No kidding.' Everybody else, you've just got to throw people out there."

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2011/07/26/ccripe/heres_boise_states_updated_preseason_depth_chart

MsProudSooner
7/27/2011, 10:19 AM
I suppose that's easier than trying to make them install a green field.

badger
7/27/2011, 10:22 AM
You can't tell me that BS knew that their game tapes would be difficult to view with blue-on-blue-on-blue.

It's time Bois Estate was brought down a notch. The MWC seems like the perfect place to turn Miami-Big East into Miami-ACC. :D

Hot Rod
7/27/2011, 10:35 AM

MeMyself&Me
7/27/2011, 10:42 AM
This is dumb. As much as I hate that blue field, it's hard to say it gives them an advantage. Otherwise every team in the country that wears a green uniform would have been enjoying an advantage since the beginning of football.

tfoolry
7/27/2011, 10:45 AM
Not sure what the big deal is. Here's a pic from their Spring game:

http://www.theimagist.com/files/images/klein_blue.jpeg

badger
7/27/2011, 10:46 AM
This is dumb. As much as I hate that blue field, it's hard to say it gives them an advantage. Otherwise every team in the country that wears a green uniform would have been enjoying an advantage since the beginning of football.

Methinks there's a reason manufactured blue turf disguises manufactured blue uniforms a little bit more than natural grass on different shades of green.

NormanPride
7/27/2011, 10:47 AM
A Good Team Would Say: "We'll win no matter what we wear."

A Gimmick Team Would Say: "This isn't fair!"

MR2-Sooner86
7/27/2011, 10:52 AM
The rule doesn’t apply to schools that have green uniforms and play on green fields, like Colorado State and Hawaii.

That made me stop and re-read it a couple of times just to make sure I saw it correctly.

badger
7/27/2011, 10:58 AM
Here's another factor: TV might have complained.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_BnOP43Mv_PY/STFknZXNeHI/AAAAAAAAG38/36FSfp63_pM/s400/Boise%20State.jpg

delhalew
7/27/2011, 11:00 AM
I've been saying this for years, but I'm still not watching a game in that blue turf.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/27/2011, 11:08 AM
This is dumb. As much as I hate that blue field, it's hard to say it gives them an advantage.

It definitely gives them an advantage... They blend in so well, especially in video games. :D

OUVarsityXV
7/27/2011, 11:08 AM
It is a disadvantage. You cannot see them on that turf.

Sooner_Tuf
7/27/2011, 11:58 AM
They replaced the turf last year because of the way it reflects light hurt many people's eyes. On TV it looked about the same to me.

It's sad we need a rule about the color of the field but because of people like Boise State we probably do.

SoonerofAlabama
7/27/2011, 12:02 PM
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/1258/boisebluevoodoo200x300.jpg

freshchris05
7/27/2011, 12:05 PM
We've got blue potatas

70sooner
7/27/2011, 12:13 PM
I've been saying this for years, but I'm still not watching a game in that blue turf.

this!~

SoonerNomad
7/27/2011, 12:25 PM
I think the rule is stupid. (probably not as stupid as the blue field itself). The disadvantage is in the watching of the game tape and the watching of the game on TV. (and the occasional bird that thinks it has found water). It is ridiculously hard and appalling to watch.

However, I am sure the players on the field don't have a problem differentiating the players from the grass. The biggest problem might be Boise QB finding his blue clad players down the field, but that hasn't been an issue in the last five years.

badger
7/27/2011, 12:27 PM
Regardless of the reasons behind it, I love it. Bully those Smurf Turfers, MWC. Make them comply with tons of weird rules to get outta the WACky Conference.

Seamus
7/27/2011, 12:27 PM
This whole Boy Easy thing is lame. I mean, look how well they blend in:

http://riogringa.typepad.com/my_weblog/images/2007/10/18/parada_gay_rj_f_014.jpg

PrideMom
7/27/2011, 12:28 PM
I don't like all one color uniforms, except the away whites. The all red that Nebraska has worn looks like they are in long johns, and the all orange by OSU just looks like faded long johns! Bur who really cares? Second tier schools.....

Pricetag
7/27/2011, 01:24 PM
One complaint from coaches is that it’s difficult to watch video of the Broncos’ home games. Petersen said that’s true, but shouldn’t be an issue as schools switch to high definition.

It looks even worse in high definition.

— Boise State isn’t going out of its way to prepare for Air Force, the way some other schools do. Petersen said he might sneak a little bit of option work into the schedule before game week, but not much.

I like where this is going.

virginiasooner
7/27/2011, 01:42 PM
Watching Boise State on the Smurf Turf was self inducing eye strain. It doesn't make any difference if it's a day or night game -- it looks crappy on television.

NMSooner'80
7/27/2011, 01:51 PM
I'm just glad the MWC actually did something that Potato Ag doesn't necessarily like. Our local version of "The Sports Animal" did a MWC Media Day show that was almost a Boise love-fest, here in Albuquerque.

It's been disgusting with various media here, especially that station, ever since the Fiasco Bowl. At least one of the hosts, who is an OU grad but loves to talk up BSU, will tell people that Boise didn't "kick OU's butt" on the scoreboard that gawd-awful night. I do expect the one remaining fish-wrap in town to verbally fellate the Broncos during the week leading up to Boise's first visit to ABQ as a conference member in '12. :mad:

GKeeper316
7/27/2011, 01:58 PM

air force gonna whoop thier asses if this is true. triple option offenses run by disciplined teams are very very very hard to defend.

LASooner
7/27/2011, 03:02 PM
One of the issues with blue is that the human eye has a lower sensitivity range to blue than other colors and it makes it more difficult to pick out edges. It's essentially why those ugly blue blocker glasses makes your vision "clearer"

yankee
7/27/2011, 04:02 PM
That made me stop and re-read it a couple of times just to make sure I saw it correctly.

Hawaii: Black top, green pants

http://www.myfootballdvds.com/2008/gifs/08_washingtonstate_hawaii.jpg

Colorado State: Green top, bright gold pants or green top green pants that's much darker than the field, not dyed the same color.

SoonerofAlabama
7/27/2011, 04:07 PM
They should make Army change their uniform.

All that camouflauge, can't see 'em. :D

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/6098/5129518561bcc8f7cdcdb.jpg

cleller
7/27/2011, 05:53 PM
Boise is the Lady Gaga of college football.

SoonerofAlabama
7/27/2011, 06:04 PM
Boise is the Lady Gaga of college football.

I see the resemblence.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4577/ladygagablue.jpghttp://img714.imageshack.us/img714/1578/boisestate7.jpg

STROMME95
7/27/2011, 07:47 PM
There is a field worse than the Blue Turf. Eastern Washington has a Red Field that they played on last year.

goingoneight
7/27/2011, 07:52 PM
Why would anyone want to simulate grass, let alone color it a shade that no such grass in all of 8.5 planets would ever grow? A green field is a very simple but great part of what makes football so cool. Save the carpet for arena ball.

Mazeppa
7/27/2011, 07:57 PM
I'll watch any two teams play on tv, but I have not and never will watch a bsu
home game.

SoonerRoy
7/27/2011, 10:25 PM
Don't think it ever actually happened but there was once some concern about trick plays in which a player either stays down on the field after the previous play, or a sub barely crawls onto the field and flattens himself out. Then, with a player unnoticed, the offense snaps the ball. Then player then jumps up, runs downfield uncovered and catches a pass.

sooneron
7/27/2011, 10:47 PM
“I thought it was ridiculous,” Petersen said of his reaction. “… That’s our colors. That’s who we are. That’s who our fans have wanted us to be since I’ve been at Boise State. That’s what it’s been through and through.”

Way to expound on the ultra rich heritage that is Boyzee state, Chris. Like, it's been going on for practically a decade now!:rolleyes:

OK2LA
7/27/2011, 11:24 PM
I like where this is going.

Yup . . . :pop:

Jacie
7/28/2011, 10:09 AM
Computer-enhanced analysis of the video of all BSU home games played in the last 10 years revealed that on most plays they lined up with 12 men on the field. Formations of 13 and even 14 men were not uncommon. Officials, who were issued special blue blocker glasses, were apparently unable to see any of the blue clad players. The MWC rule is expected to correct this oversight . . .

ouduckhunter
7/28/2011, 12:52 PM
We were at the Oreygone - Boys State game, and it was hard to see the Boys State players even when you're sitting in the stadium.