PDA

View Full Version : The Mormon-Jewish deadlock is finally broken

SanJoaquinSooner
7/26/2011, 10:23 AM
Two years after a rupture in Mormon-Jewish relations in America, leaders of the two groups believe they have achieved “a breakthrough” and finally solved an issue of major contention between them — the Mormon Church’s practice of proxy baptism of souls, including of Jewish Holocaust victims.

The new pact, which was announced in a statement Wednesday simultaneously through The Jewish Week and The Deseret News, the Mormon-owned Salt Lake City daily, stipulates that the Mormon Church will allow Jewish Holocaust victims to be the only category exempt from Church doctrine that calls for vicarious baptism for the dead, giving souls the choice to enter the Kingdom of God.

Since 1840, the Church practice has been to gather the names of every person who ever lived and offer their souls the choice of baptism.

http://www.thejewishweek.com/editorial_opinion/gary_rosenblatt/mormons_jews_new_pact_baptisms

47straight
7/26/2011, 10:43 AM
It seems to me that either a) the mormon proxy baptism of souls is ineffective, in which case there is no harm, or b) the mormon proxy baptism of souls is effective, thus saving souls.

So it's either no harm, or everlasting salvation. I see nothing but upside for the proxy-baptized.

Sorry, just can't fake the outrage on this one.

cccasooner2
7/26/2011, 10:46 AM
Two years after a rupture in Mormon-Jewish relations in America, leaders of the two groups believe they have achieved “a breakthrough” and finally solved an issue of major contention between them — the Mormon Church’s practice of proxy baptism of souls, including of Jewish Holocaust victims.

The new pact, which was announced in a statement Wednesday simultaneously through The Jewish Week and The Deseret News, the Mormon-owned Salt Lake City daily, stipulates that the Mormon Church will allow Jewish Holocaust victims to be the only category exempt from Church doctrine that calls for vicarious baptism for the dead, giving souls the choice to enter the Kingdom of God.

Since 1840, the Church practice has been to gather the names of every person who ever lived and offer their souls the choice of baptism.

http://www.thejewishweek.com/editorial_opinion/gary_rosenblatt/mormons_jews_new_pact_baptisms

It's great the souls now have a choice.

sheepdogs
7/26/2011, 11:01 AM
You would think that if God felt it necessary to Baptize these souls then it would be a done deal rather than it being done solely because "Norman the Mormon" so aptly made the request.

KantoSooner
7/26/2011, 11:07 AM
It seems to me that either a) the mormon proxy baptism of souls is ineffective, in which case there is no harm, or b) the mormon proxy baptism of souls is effective, thus saving souls.

So it's either no harm, or everlasting salvation. I see nothing but upside for the proxy-baptized.

Sorry, just can't fake the outrage on this one.

It's only outrageous if you actually take this crap seriously. If the 'Invisible Friend' is truly important to you, then the form of address you use toward it, even after death, (along with the type of hat you were buried in, the way your arms were positioned and what words were mumbled over you as your buddies threw clods on your box) is of vital importance.

For those with fully functioning minds, it's only mildly offensive; something the Mormons are by definition anyway.

<sorry, had to do it, somebody had to>

47straight
7/26/2011, 12:40 PM
It's only outrageous if you actually take this crap seriously. If the 'Invisible Friend' is truly important to you, then the form of address you use toward it, even after death, (along with the type of hat you were buried in, the way your arms were positioned and what words were mumbled over you as your buddies threw clods on your box) is of vital importance.

For those with fully functioning minds, it's only mildly offensive; something the Mormons are by definition anyway.

<sorry, had to do it, somebody had to>

Seems like those with so malice inside will find or even fabricate the malice in others.

JohnnyMack
7/26/2011, 12:43 PM
I had sushi for lunch. Mmm. Sushi.

Turd_Ferguson
7/26/2011, 12:43 PM
JM>>Kanto

KantoSooner
7/26/2011, 01:16 PM
JM>>Kanto

He's twice as good at this as I am? I'll have to pay more attention. In the meantime...

Breadburner
7/26/2011, 01:17 PM
They should get together get drunk and ****...!!!!

Chuck Bao
7/26/2011, 02:26 PM
I don't believe, even for a second. The Highlander movie taught us all that there can only be one...God's chosen people. We need more sword fights to settle this thing.

JohnnyMack
7/26/2011, 02:31 PM
I don't believe, even for a second. The Highlander movie taught us all that there can only be one...God's chosen people. We need more sword fights to settle this thing.

Connor MacLeod would DESTROY Joseph Smith.

Soonerfan88
7/26/2011, 02:33 PM
A distant relative had my grandmother posthumously baptized in the Mormon faith. I'm convinced the subsequent rolling in her grave caused all the recent earthquakes in Oklahoma.

Chuck Bao
7/26/2011, 02:44 PM
Connor MacLeod would DESTROY Joseph Smith.

Connor MacLeod couldn't produce the juice to make a baby no matter how many wives he had. Score one for the Mormons, zero for Clan MacLeod.

JohnnyMack
7/26/2011, 03:17 PM
Connor MacLeod couldn't produce the juice to make a baby no matter how many wives he had. Score one for the Mormons, zero for Clan MacLeod.

You shut your whore mouth.

tator
7/26/2011, 03:43 PM
The Mormon-Jewish deadlock is finally broken
I, for one, will sleep better knowing that this is resolved

StoopTroup
7/27/2011, 03:07 PM

The Muslims got to Ireland and the Irish and the Scots started killing and didn't stop until they got to Baghdad. It was all settled long ago and the other Peaceful Faiths knew to STFU until Richard Gere bought the Dali Llama a Gerbil Habitat as a gift of faith and good will. The Dali started traveling the World in search of the perfect gerbil and there has been Wars ever since. Coincidence? I think not.

tator
7/27/2011, 03:15 PM
The Muslims got to Ireland and the Irish and the Scots started killing and didn't stop until they got to Baghdad. It was all settled long ago and the other Peaceful Faiths knew to STFU until Richard Gere bought the Dali Llama a Gerbil Habitat as a gift of faith and good will. The Dali started traveling the World in search of the perfect gerbil and there has been Wars ever since. Coincidence? I think not.

87sooner
7/27/2011, 03:21 PM

yes....
this is like the end of an overtime game between north texas and arkansas st.

Chuck Bao
7/27/2011, 03:31 PM

What the ****, dude!!???!!!!

You are really, really making me angry. Yeah, I know that that isn't really a Buddhist trait. And, Buddhist can take jokes.

But, at least get the facts right.

His Holiness, the Dalai Lama is Mr. Lama to you. He is NOT a Llama.

From your post, I can only draw one of two possible conclusions: 1) you are secretly a counter-intelligence spy of the Chinese or 2) you have a really strange concept of what a Peruvian pack animal actually is.

tator
7/27/2011, 04:00 PM
You forgot 3) he's an idiot

JohnnyMack
7/27/2011, 04:03 PM
What the ****, dude!!???!!!!

You are really, really making me angry. Yeah, I know that that isn't really a Buddhist trait. And, Buddhist can take jokes.

But, at least get the facts right.

His Holiness, the Dalai Lama is Mr. Lama to you. He is NOT a Llama.

From your post, I can only draw one of two possible conclusions: 1) you are secretly a counter-intelligence spy of the Chinese or 2) you have a really strange concept of what a Peruvian pack animal actually is.

We're pretty sure ST's brain fell out of his ear about 2 months ago. We don't have proof just yet, but we hope to soon.

Oldnslo
7/27/2011, 05:05 PM
I can now talk with civility towards Mormons? What about the underwear?

OhU1
7/27/2011, 05:20 PM
Even Atheists get to go to the Mormon heaven after we die? Do I get my own planet and all that jazz? I don't even have to tithe the mandatory 10%?

Is that what those 19 year olds that knock on our doors are up to - not trying to save me but wanting me to join up so I pay my 10%? I mean if I'm already going to Mormon heaven why do I need to read that book or go to temple?

soonerhubs
7/27/2011, 06:00 PM
Even Atheists get to go to the Mormon heaven after we die? Do I get my own planet and all that jazz? I don't even have to tithe the mandatory 10%?

Is that what those 19 year olds that knock on our doors are up to - not trying to save me but wanting me to join up so I pay my 10%? I mean if I'm already going to Mormon heaven why do I need to read that book or go to temple?

So you and I can hang out on Sundays? :O

soonerhubs
7/27/2011, 06:01 PM
I can now talk with civility towards Mormons? What about the underwear?

You can talk with civility to their underwear, but it may not answer back.

AlboSooner
7/27/2011, 06:13 PM
glad this is finally over

OhU1
7/27/2011, 06:19 PM
So you and I can hang out on Sundays? :O

Heh.

You guys can baptize my name if you want. It doesn't offend me.

All the Mormon's I've met have been kind gracious people. I talked to two nice Mormon girls who came to my front door a few years back and we had a friendly conversation. I happened to be drinking beer on my front porch at the time but they didn't give me any crap about that (I would have shared :) ).

Chuck Bao
7/27/2011, 06:39 PM
My only problem with the few Mormons that I have met is when they started to bad talk Chinese food as being too greasy. Gee, they didn't have to eat it. They could very well eat steamed fish over a bowl of rice and fresh fruit for desert. But, I don't think that was it at all. They were just feeling a bit peeved that they couldn't try some of the wonderful tea selections in Hong Kong. I often wondered how successful they were in converting the Chinese and convincing them that drinking tea is not acceptable.

soonerhubs
7/27/2011, 08:47 PM
My only problem with the few Mormons that I have met is when they started to bad talk Chinese food as being too greasy. Gee, they didn't have to eat it. They could very well eat steamed fish over a bowl of rice and fresh fruit for desert. But, I don't think that was it at all. They were just feeling a bit peeved that they couldn't try some of the wonderful tea selections in Hong Kong. I often wondered how successful they were in converting the Chinese and convincing them that drinking tea is not acceptable.

That's a good question!

SanJoaquinSooner
7/27/2011, 09:25 PM

Yeah, they should stick to soul food.