PDA

View Full Version : Dickey's Barbecue Pit

royalfan5
7/26/2011, 08:24 AM
We just got one of them up here. Are they worth a damn?

soonerinabilene
7/26/2011, 08:57 AM
From my personal experience, nation-wide chain bbq is never really worth a damn. I decided a few years ago I will only get bbq from locally owned places, preferably a crappy ran down building that theyve been in forever. That way you know its good.

okie52
7/26/2011, 09:09 AM
We just got one of them up here. Are they worth a damn?

The original dickeys (I think) was in Plano, TX. I used to go to it and I thought it was pretty good...particularly for TX since most places in TX didn't serve pork ribs 30 years ago.

A year ago I tried dickeys at dfw airport and it was terrible. I don't know if the original place has gone downhill too but that airPort location was crap.

rekamrettuB
7/26/2011, 09:20 AM
The bigger the franchises get it seems the quality is goes down. Ate there a few times several years ago and it was great. Went there a year ago to one in Frisco, TX and that one wasn't all that great. You see that in larger franchises all the time.

ouleaf
7/26/2011, 09:41 AM
There is one pretty close to me here in Las Colinas (Irving) that I will go to every now and then. Their sauce isn't terrible, nice mix of sweet and vinegar. The actual barbecue isn't much to write home about, but if you get it in a sandwich w/the sauce on top and a side of their waffle fries, it can make for a nice, quick BBQ lunch.

I don't really go there for dinner or anything though, as it reminds you more of a cafeteria than an actual restaurant.

Ctina
7/26/2011, 10:20 AM
I'll pick it up for dinner occasionally. I've only had their pulled pork and it's not bad. If the sauce was more distinctive and/or they had smoked bologna I would rate it better. Their rolls and baked potato casserole are good. If I remember correctly, the mac-n-cheese sucked.

texaspokieokie
7/26/2011, 11:43 AM
we got a new one in irving, & i have eaten @ the one in waxahachie.

i like them both.

plus; free ice cream !!!!!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/26/2011, 01:17 PM
I used to eat at the one in Dallas on Central expwy at Fitzhugh or Knox-Henderson. Would get the Westerner sandwich, and it was pretty dam* good.

Partial Qualifier
7/26/2011, 01:43 PM
I'll pick it up for dinner occasionally. I've only had their pulled pork and it's not bad. If the sauce was more distinctive and/or they had smoked bologna I would rate it better. Their rolls and baked potato casserole are good. If I remember correctly, the mac-n-cheese sucked.

Smoked bologna (or lack thereof) counts for a high percentage of my BBQ joint overall score

There's a Dickey's down the street, I need to try it sometime

royalfan5
7/27/2011, 07:35 PM
I gave it a shot. I had a Westerner and was satisfied. Also, I was excited that they had fried okra, as we usually don't get that in Nebraska.

7/27/2011, 08:02 PM
I gave it a shot. I had a Westerner and was satisfied. Also, I was excited that they had fried okra, as we usually don't get that in Nebraska.Fried ochra is the only way to ochra. Yummy good 'uns

BajaOklahoma
7/27/2011, 09:34 PM
The original one is still open. It's pretty good, the other are meh.

7/28/2011, 12:46 AM
The original one is still open. It's pretty good, the other are meh.Which one is the original?

hawaii 5-0
7/28/2011, 02:07 AM
I've had the Plano Cue a few times and liked it.

Pretty much anything is better than Hawaii Bar B Cue

5-0

Trump/ Eddie 2012

TheLadiesMike
7/28/2011, 02:28 AM
Is that the same as the one in east Norman? I thought that place sucked. Not sure if they are related but it is a bbq chain called dickeys.

Sooner_Tuf
7/28/2011, 03:07 AM
Fried ochra is the only way to ochra. Yummy good 'uns

It's better than decent pickled also. Not much on it boiled, but once in a while it's OK to remind me that I don't care much for it that way.

okie52
7/28/2011, 07:00 AM
Which one is the original?

I think the original is in Plano.

BU BEAR
7/28/2011, 10:34 AM
I think the original is in Plano.

Yes, the original is Plano... 15th Street, I think.

To the OP's question:

Dickey's sux! There are 100 better BBQ joints in North Texas; and I am sure that you can find better in shops and backyards all over Oklahoma.

royalfan5
7/28/2011, 10:48 AM
Yes, the original is Plano... 15th Street, I think.

To the OP's question:

Dickey's sux! There are 100 better BBQ joints in North Texas; and I am sure that you can find better in shops and backyards all over Oklahoma.

Except that I live in Nebraska. There's **** all for BBQ up here.

sperry
7/28/2011, 11:27 AM
Dickeys is reallly bad.