PDA

View Full Version : Which one of you hillbillies is this???

sooner n houston
7/26/2011, 06:02 AM
:)

A collection of Chinese cups carved from rhinoceros horns has become the most valuable find in the 16-year history of the television program "Antiques Roadshow" in the United States.

The five cups, believed to date from the late 17th or early 18th century were valued at $1-$1.5 million on Saturday after being brought to the TV show at a stop in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

The owner, who prefers to remain unidentified, told Asian arts expert Lark Mason he started collecting cups inexpensively in the 1970s and had no idea of the collection's current value.

Chinese antiques have been fetching strong prices in recent years, dramatically increasing the value of the collection.

"As we continue our 16th season production tour here in Tulsa, we couldn't be more excited about such an extraordinary, rare treasure, and we look forward to sharing it with the nation," executive producer Marsha Bemko said in a statement on Monday.

Three episodes produced from the Tulsa event will air on the program, which is broadcast on PBS, sometime in 2012.

The second highest-value U.S. appraisal recorded by "Antiques Roadshow" was of a collection of Chinese carved jade bowls, estimated to be worth as much as $1.07 million. They were discovered in Raleigh, North Carolina in 2009.

"Antiques Roadshow" started as a TV series in Britain in 1979 and has several international versions.

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/chinese-rhino-cups-set-antiques-roadshow-record--3352

Breadburner
7/26/2011, 07:12 AM
I dont know but some peeps are wishing they were alot nicer to Aunt Pitty Pat......

picasso
7/26/2011, 12:05 PM
I was there but it wasn't me. I also got to talk to Marky Mark.

SoCaliSooner
7/26/2011, 02:04 PM
I caught a preview for some tv auction show about oddball stuff people want to auction....I saw a red white and blue Toby Keith guitar signed by Bob Stoops during the preview. Somebody is going to be disappointed that they aren't going to pay for juniors college with that trinket.

DRLSooner
7/26/2011, 02:27 PM
I've got a solid collection of Smurfs glasses from Hardees back in the day... maybe I should take them on the road.

dynersooner
7/26/2011, 02:31 PM
which part of houston was this in? wjhich part are you in? what years were you with conoco?

SoCaliSooner
7/26/2011, 02:35 PM
which part of houston was this in? wjhich part are you in? what years were you with conoco?

What, bro?

Boomer.....
7/26/2011, 02:39 PM
I've got a solid collection of Smurfs glasses from Hardees back in the day... maybe I should take them on the road.

They wouldn't be worth as much as my California Raisins figurines.

badger
7/26/2011, 02:53 PM
The show is fun, but I like that they also show when people apparently got conned so that others hoping to find lost treasure at antique shows, auctions, stores, etc. don't have the same thing happen to them.

I remember seeing this middle-aged lady with a doll that she said was from an antique store. The shop owner apparently told her that the doll originally belonged to an older lady who was cleaning out her attic or some BS like that.

The biggest thing that gave the doll away was that the back of her neck said "REPRO." As in, REPROduction. Whoops.

She paid $90 for it. Ouch!

picasso
7/26/2011, 03:29 PM
The show is fun, but I like that they also show when people apparently got conned so that others hoping to find lost treasure at antique shows, auctions, stores, etc. don't have the same thing happen to them.

I remember seeing this middle-aged lady with a doll that she said was from an antique store. The shop owner apparently told her that the doll originally belonged to an older lady who was cleaning out her attic or some BS like that.

The biggest thing that gave the doll away was that the back of her neck said "REPRO." As in, REPROduction. Whoops.

She paid $90 for it. Ouch!

There was a lady in line behind us who thought she had a G'ma Moses original. I told her she'd better hope it wasn't a G'ma Mimosa.

Turns out it was a fake.

Those appraisers don't know it all. Nicho Lowery appraised my dad's 1942 Aeronca pre-flight poster at $1200. He said he'd never seen one before but he didn't know jack about my Howard Terpning limited edition print.

badger
7/26/2011, 03:57 PM
There's a video on youtube of some guy that had a loo in a cabinet, some mariner artifact that he paid 50-some pounds for back in the 50s. The appraiser said it was worth 200 to 300 pounds now, and the guy is like "Is that all?! 400 pounds..." And the appraiser clarifies that 400 would be a high end estimate :D

WichitaSooner
7/26/2011, 04:09 PM
I was there but it wasn't me. I also got to talk to Marky Mark.

Lol... that's funny... I hope you called him that. But, I bet his FAVORITE joke is if you ask if you can also meet the funky bunch.

fadada1
7/26/2011, 04:09 PM
They wouldn't be worth as much as my California Raisins figurines.

Ummmm, Burger King Star Wars glasses.... duh.

DRLSooner
7/26/2011, 04:11 PM
Ummmm, Burger King Star Wars glasses.... duh.

Hell those are probably actually worth something.

picasso
7/26/2011, 04:15 PM
Lol... that's funny... I hope you called him that. But, I bet his FAVORITE joke is if you ask if you can also meet the funky bunch.

Okay, me and the wife always laugh at when he signs off and turns around and says, what do you have there?
Well, we first got into the poster and print line and sure enough, we were right by him when he started taping his takes.
He was scolded by folks because he mispronounced Christen Chenowith's name. He checked out my poster, said his son was into WWII era planes. He was cool.

Some dude chided him about being the Mark Walberg minus the six pack. He was funny with it and all.