PDA

View Full Version : Longhorn Network is more trouble than it's worth

TexSooner000
7/25/2011, 02:20 PM
Man I hope this thing just blows up in their face.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/7666776.html

meoveryouxinfinity
7/25/2011, 02:38 PM
This article reeks of Aggies. Can't football season come back to put them in their place??? Texas A&M is worse than OSU in that regard.

LVSOONER15
7/25/2011, 02:49 PM
I really think those two schools suck equally.

Herr Scholz
7/25/2011, 02:57 PM
Justice is a known Aggie hater pandering to A&M fans in Houston. He's a total hack.

badger
7/25/2011, 03:00 PM
I like this part:

Question: Who is the Big 12’s highest-paid women’s coach?

Answer: Texas’ Gail Goestenkors.

Bonus question: What is her record against Texas A&M’s Gary Blair, who is the fourth-highest paid?

Answer: 0-10.

Alas, both schools are beating us in the national title department right now :mad:

:D for womens basketball. definitely not football :D

AggieGirl2005
7/25/2011, 03:09 PM
This article reeks of Aggies. Can't football season come back to put them in their place??? Texas A&M is worse than OSU in that regard.

Richard Justice is a Texas grad, but yes, that article is pandering.

Herr Scholz
7/25/2011, 03:11 PM
Really? I thought he was an Aggie. His articles certainly come out that way. Much like our home town hater Kirk Bohls.

AggieGirl2005
7/25/2011, 03:21 PM
Really? I thought he was an Aggie. His articles certainly come out that way. Much like our home town hater Kirk Bohls.

Richard Justice is a 1976 graduate of the University of Texas.http://www.1560thegame.com/media/?page_id=89

Justice just trolls everyone. Whatever gets him clicks and tweets.

OUInformant
7/25/2011, 05:21 PM
Why not have an OU-Texas network. They can show the 63-14 and 65-13 drillings over and over. I will watch.

SoonerMom2
7/25/2011, 06:14 PM
I would love to watch the Superman one with Roy Williams to Chrissie Sims arm to Teddy Lehman -- touchdown game too!

SoonerofAlabama
7/25/2011, 06:19 PM
I would love to watch the Superman one with Roy Williams to Chrissie Sims arm to Teddy Lehman -- touchdown game too!

If we are talking about it I am posting it. :D

Z1MpHG5x6q0&feature=related

SoonerMom2
7/25/2011, 06:24 PM
The Oklahoman just posted the results from Big 12 Media Day and Mack Brown is an arrogant jerk and if he thought OU and A&M were made before, he hasn't seen anything yet. He sees absolutely nothing wrong with showing high school games as he gets all the recruits he wants. He is going to blow up the conference along with Dodds and then they can be an independent and blame OU and A&M.

http://newsok.com/big-12-eyes-still-focused-on-longhorns-and-network/article/feed/279370?custom_click=headlines_widget

SoonerMom2
7/25/2011, 06:28 PM
[QUOTE=SoonerofAlabama;3300482]If we are talking about it I am posting it. :D QUOTE]

Thank you! Always brings a huge smile to my face -- it was so awesome for that play by Roy Williams to come after they had just talked about TX had over two minutes to go down and score and there went Superman right after that flying through the air!

Veritas
7/25/2011, 06:48 PM
Just posted this over in the SO, but I figured it was apropos here :D

M_YOr8hGBWY

Herr Scholz
7/25/2011, 07:01 PM
Why not have an OU-Texas network. They can show the 63-14 and 65-13 drillings over and over. I will watch.

45-12 is more recent. I think they should show that one.

Herr Scholz
7/25/2011, 07:06 PM
The Oklahoman just posted the results from Big 12 Media Day and Mack Brown is an arrogant jerk and if he thought OU and A&M were made before, he hasn't seen anything yet. He sees absolutely nothing wrong with showing high school games as he gets all the recruits he wants. He is going to blow up the conference along with Dodds and then they can be an independent and blame OU and A&M.

Showing prep games is still up in the air with the NCAA and conference because it's a new concept. But don't forget that the entire conference voted on allowing individual networks (something your school is pursuing as well).

Any prep games on the LHN would include OU and Aggie commits as well btw. Not sure why elevating Texas high school football is such a bad thing. I'm sure recruits will notice which schools were instumental at keeping them off tv though.

XingTheRubicon
7/25/2011, 07:30 PM

or we could go real recent

finster
7/25/2011, 07:39 PM
I guess my concern is,What do the the high School's get from ESPN for televised games ? I already know how the coach and team appear on it. Just convince the star player they are not a team player if they don't commit to the Longhorns. This of course is not a Longhorn NCAA offense, ESPN is responsible for all content on The Longhorn Network.
And I do realize OU probably knew all this last summer. I think Boren was waiting for Texas to admit they where not interested in good Texas high School ball,only Longhorn targets.
ESPN's Dave Brown, vice president, programming and acquisitions, and Tex-Ex giddily admitted that with this quote.”“I know people are going to want to see Johnathan Gray. I can’t wait to see Johnathan Gray, Feedback we got from our audience is they just want to see Johnathan Gray run, whether it’s 45-0 or not, they want to see more Johnathan Gray.”
This of course is not a Longhorn NCAA offense, ESPN is responsible for all content on The Longhorn Network.
Dodd is not a stupid man,But he damn sure ain't a politician.

kevpks
7/25/2011, 07:39 PM
or we could go real recent

Those Florida Atlantic highlights from last year will get a lot of airtime. I just don't get it. Give UT's history this network will witness a few conference titles and still be ten years away from a national title over this twenty year run. Prepare for a lot of Holiday Bowl highlights assuming Mack can get them back to that level.

Herr Scholz
7/25/2011, 07:50 PM
Coaches shows, live practice footage and player interviews (not to mention gameday coverage) will be well received by UT fans as far as football goes. All of the other sports will benefit greatly as well.

Herr Scholz
7/25/2011, 07:51 PM
Give UT's history this network will witness a few conference titles and still be ten years away from a national title over this twenty year run. Prepare for a lot of Holiday Bowl highlights assuming Mack can get them back to that level.
Funny, I swear I can recall playing in 2 of the past 6 national title games. You really think UT is going to stay down?

trwxxa
7/25/2011, 07:55 PM
Showing prep games is still up in the air with the NCAA and conference because it's a new concept. But don't forget that the entire conference voted on allowing individual networks (something your school is pursuing as well).

Any prep games on the LHN would include OU and Aggie commits as well btw. Not sure why elevating Texas high school football is such a bad thing. I'm sure recruits will notice which schools were instumental at keeping them off tv though.
Of course there will be commits from other schools as many have more than one kid talented enough to get a scholly. I don't think it is a secret that as long as there is a UT commit or a kid they want to get, those games will be shown.

They could have gotten away with it, but showcasing Brenham (Cole, Brown) and blatantly poking their finger in the Aggie's eye was over the line, even for UT.

So here's a question. LHN pays the schools through the UIL to show the games. The money spent is in the hopes the relationship is enhanced so that the kid UT wants will commit or stay committed. It is me, or isn't this what Will Lyles was accused of doing?

I have no doubt the state championship games will be shown on LHN in the not too distant future. Sad.

NorthernIowaSooner
7/25/2011, 08:10 PM
Give UT's history this network will witness a few conference titles and still be ten years away from a national title over this twenty year run. Prepare for a lot of Holiday Bowl highlights assuming Mack can get them back to that level.

You don't honestly believe this do you? Given UT's history I would say it is a fair bet that ESPN will sadly get a some years of championship caliber teams and quite a few wins from UT in the next 20 yrs. Even as a Sooner fan I can admit that UT has a good football history, not one we should envy but one that many schools do.

On a different note, when Brown said most kids commit to Texas during their junior year that is accurate but beside the point. Juniors will play in the games on TV and that isn't really the issue. Those 5-10 guys who they compete for deep into recruiting are the issue. If AD had his games on the horn network during his senior year maybe he would've stayed in Texas, that is the unfair advantage they get from this in my view.

Brown and Texas are ignorant not to see, or to ignore, the obvious advantages given to them by doing this.

Herr Scholz
7/25/2011, 08:21 PM
Of course there will be commits from other schools as many have more than one kid talented enough to get a scholly. I don't think it is a secret that as long as there is a UT commit or a kid they want to get, those games will be shown.
UT won't be in charge of programming.

They could have gotten away with it, but showcasing Brenham (Cole, Brown) and blatantly poking their finger in the Aggie's eye was over the line, even for UT.

So here's a question. LHN pays the schools through the UIL to show the games. The money spent is in the hopes the relationship is enhanced so that the kid UT wants will commit or stay committed. It is me, or isn't this what Will Lyles was accused of doing?
ESPN will be paying. UT is not in charge.

finster
7/25/2011, 08:36 PM
I get it. Texas found a loophole.Could be wrong here,But is that not the problem?

trwxxa
7/25/2011, 09:01 PM
UT won't be in charge of programming.;)

UT won't be in charge of programming.;)

ESPN will be paying. UT is not in charge.;)

FIFY

soonerboy_odanorth
7/25/2011, 09:09 PM

I'm sure they won't since the various Fox Sports Net affiliates show high profile HS games all the time. And the Every Shorthorn Penis Network isn't going to show anything less than high profile games UNLESS they are angling to get their recruits some air. No one wants to watch 5-5 record 3A, 4A, 5A teams knock heads in district matchups. And we all know plenty of high profile recruits come form those schools, too.

Regardless, I'm sure the outcome of this is that UT is either going stop the charade and admit that they are going for the throat on Texas recruiting so they don't lose the Adrian Petersons, etc. (and that the rest of college football can get bent). Or they will play it nicey-nice for the convenience of conference scheduling, and just work it out with ESPN to either start a HS brand, or show lots of (Texas) HS games on ESPNU.

Eielson
7/25/2011, 09:14 PM

28-20?

Herr Scholz
7/25/2011, 09:36 PM
I'm sure they won't since the various Fox Sports Net affiliates show high profile HS games all the time.
True, maybe one a week, but the UT channel could at least double that. TLN was planning on 18 prep games on tv this Fall. So, yes, I think kids will notice that certain schools don't want them on tv.

finster
7/25/2011, 09:48 PM
True, maybe one a week, but the UT channel could at least double that. TLN was planning on 18 prep games on tv this Fall. So, yes, I think kids will notice that certain schools don't want them on tv.

You are honest about it, Have to give you that.
Of course ESPN decides that right?

Herr Scholz
7/25/2011, 09:53 PM
ESPN's trying to make money on this thing. Of course they're going to want to show things that will attract viewers. You're trying to equate that with Dodds and Brown whispering in their ears which I don't buy. That may not turn out to be against the rules anyway. Besides, UT's already got our money.

finster
7/25/2011, 10:19 PM
I realize that that the University has already been paid in full, I think the question is,Can an NCAA institution (Texas) now wash their hands of anything done in their behalf. The whole concept of hiring a sin-eater is new ground for the NCAA,To think that a profitable organization (ESPN) does not have one if not both ears firmly attached to a 300 Million dollar investment is a bit naive.

MichiganSooner
7/25/2011, 10:29 PM
I guess Texas realizes no one wants to watch Horns play ball...would rather watch high schoolers instead.

prrriiide
7/25/2011, 10:29 PM
You really think UT is going to stay down?

Of course not. Whorns are like my dumb-as-schidt red-tick hound. You can beat him, ignore him, put him out for hours at a time, and still all he wants to do as soon as he sees you is sniff your crotch and hump your leg.

Herr Scholz
7/25/2011, 10:30 PM
finster, I'm not naive enough to think ESPN won't want to show UT commits/recruits. The head guy already mentioned Connor Brewer and Jonathan Gray by name. I'm just saying they're in charge and not being directed by Belmont. It's in their interest to turn a profit and show what UT fans want to see. We're not worried about them turning a profit.

And we haven't been paid yet, we're just guaranteed the money every year.

Herr Scholz
7/25/2011, 10:31 PM
I guess Texas realizes no one wants to watch Horns play ball...would rather watch high schoolers instead.

UT games are already on tv. Only the Rice game will be on the TLN. We're talking about 3rd tier content here. Very clever though.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/25/2011, 11:53 PM
Wouldn't this have been a lot easier to have called the ESPN : Texas. Then only pay the longhorns the same as the other texas schools and they could show whatever high school **** they wanted...

MamaMia
7/26/2011, 12:37 AM
Hypothetical whining. How lovely.

oudavid1
7/26/2011, 01:15 AM
Texas, lost to Baylor, has a network.

Oklahoma, beat Texas, dosnt need a network.

Sooner_Tuf
7/26/2011, 02:21 AM
If the LHN chronicles the 2010 5-7 season will they play Laurel and Hardy music? Because I would like that.

kevpks
7/26/2011, 08:07 AM
Funny, I swear I can recall playing in 2 of the past 6 national title games. You really think UT is going to stay down?

No I don't think they'll stay at 5-7. I do think they are the most pathetic underachievers in the nation given their resources. 3 Big XII titles in the championship game era of the conference? Two national titles since 1969? Congrats on Major's induction into the Holiday Bowl HOF though. That is big time.

Bourbon St Sooner
7/26/2011, 08:26 AM
ESPN's trying to make money on this thing. Of course they're going to want to show things that will attract viewers. You're trying to equate that with Dodds and Brown whispering in their ears which I don't buy. That may not turn out to be against the rules anyway. Besides, UT's already got our money.

Deloss Dodds and Rupert Murdoch - hear no evil, see no evil.

I really don't GAS. texass will continue to get more recruits than OU and we'll continue to kick their *** on the field, just like we have 7 of the last 11 years.

badger
7/26/2011, 08:30 AM
If they didn't call this something associated with a university, there would be a lot less issues I think. If they just took the word "Texas" instead of the word "Longhorn" they'd probably have a lot less problems.

Alas, they just had to tie it to Bevo, so now they need to avoid any glaring issues about recruiting violations or whatever when involving high school prospective athletes. I mean, if our fanbase can't collect funeral donation money for the mother of an OU commit who died because she has another son that might one day be a top high school athlete himself, then the "LONGHORN Network" can't do this.

GrapevineSooner
7/26/2011, 08:34 AM

The very fact the network has the name 'Texas Longhorn' in it means that UT will have some level of influence in what's shown.

To believe otherwise is the height of delusion, Herr. ;)

As for the whole issue of showing high school games, I seem to recall FSSW showing a lot more high school football in the early 00's than they do now here in Texas.

Yes, they do a weekly highlights show every Friday night. But I think their live telecasts are limited to the state semis and state finals games in the upper classes (3, 4, 5 I, and 5 II if I'm not mistaken).

KTXA-21 in Dallas shows weekly games, but I don't know that they pull in much, ratings wise.

Here in Texas, if you're a big fan, you'll go to the games. Now I'm sure if Southlake Carroll or Euless Trinity was playing a road game in Midland, it would draw some ratings from NE Tarrant County.

But outside that area, there'd probably be a significant drop off in interest.

Which is what would happen if LHN televised high school games.

Now on the recruiting angle, Texas and ESPN need to be able to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the network will simply be used to showcase the powerhouse high school teams in Texas.

As long as it's called the Longhorn Network, both sides will have a really tough time convincing the public that it won't be used unscrupulously.

SoonerAtKU
7/26/2011, 08:48 AM
I guess this means that all of the horns around complaining about the Bomar fiasco have changed their tune? I mean, it wasn't the University paying those players or potentially offering inducements. It was an independent, separately owned business who supported the school with money and just wanted to be able to turn a profit by showing off the players that they employed.

I'm with them. As long as there's no recorded phone call between Texas and ESPN asking them to only show their recruits, there's no wrongdoing, right?

Dio
7/26/2011, 09:32 AM

tExSPiN has $300,000,000 reasons to work in ut's best interest every chance they get.

soonerboy_odanorth
7/26/2011, 09:55 AM
Here's a question. Clearly re-play shows, coaches shows, maybe even re-airing previous games will be part of the deal.

So what happens when Texas invariably (like any school does from time to time) gets pantsed?

What do you think the over/under is on re-plays? Heh.

Sooner Among The Pack
7/26/2011, 10:03 AM
Here's a question. Clearly re-play shows, coaches shows, maybe even re-airing previous games will be part of the deal.

So what happens when Texas invariably (like any school does from time to time) gets pantsed?

What do you think the over/under is on re-plays? Heh.

I've heard that in a situation like this, they'll show a infinite loop of the plane with the banner flying overhead Bedlam , a replay of Mack's brilliant move to call into the Bedlam broadcast, then cut straight to a still image of the locker room that says 2008 Big XII Champions *

oudavid1
7/26/2011, 10:49 AM

Stop trying to act like Texas didnt ask for this.

47straight
7/26/2011, 11:00 AM
As I recall, UT retained a number of control mechanisms over the whorn network, such as the right to get rid of on-air talent.

Sounds like control to me.

I say let them air all the high school games they want to. Automatically makes each such player ineligible to sign with Texas unless they want to forfeit them all.

Brock Edwards.

Herr Scholz
7/26/2011, 01:59 PM
I do think they are the most pathetic underachievers in the nation given their resources.
No, that's clearly Texas A&M.

Herr Scholz
7/26/2011, 02:02 PM
I really don't GAS. texass will continue to get more recruits than OU and we'll continue to kick their *** on the field, just like we have 7 of the last 11 years.
I like the random time frame of UT winning 4 of the past 6 better. If you're wanting to compare Stoops vs. Brown, it's 7 of the past 12 btw.

Herr Scholz
7/26/2011, 02:09 PM
I say let them air all the high school games they want to. Automatically makes each such player ineligible to sign with Texas unless they want to forfeit them all.

We'll see what the NCAA says. My question is this, it's been known for months that this network would be showing high school games but it's just a problem now? Seems kind of reactive and as if nobody thought the channel would work and everyone was snickering and now it's, "Oh wait...". ESPN and UT have been upfront about all of this. And like I said before, just as many commits/recruits for other schools (namely OU and A&M) will be highlighted as UT guys.

Personally I don't think it would be such a huge bump for UT recruiting anyway. The UT channel is exposure in and of itself for us regardless if high school games are on or not. The kids know they'll be on tv in college regardless of what big school they choose.

meoveryouxinfinity
7/31/2011, 12:38 PM
And like I said before, just as many commits/recruits for other schools (namely OU and A&M) will be highlighted as UT guys.

We're not even worried about the guys who are committed. We're worried about the sophomores, juniors, and uncommitted seniors. These players will be wowed that LHN showed their game...as will their HS. The HC/athletic director is getting paid by LHN to show the game. Won't this be a conflict of interest when the star RB asks the HC about his college decision?

MeMyself&Me
7/31/2011, 01:33 PM
Whorens that refuse to admit that there is a conflict of interest and recruiting advantage involved in airing high school games on their college branded channel are either extremely stupid or are dishonest.

101sooner
7/31/2011, 02:44 PM
How you gonna tell Bob Stoops he can't text a High School football player when that Friday night some dude in a burnt orange jacket is interviewing the same player on the LHN and plastering his game stats all over the TV for 3 hours.

Aint gonna happen.

oudavid1
7/31/2011, 04:30 PM
We'll see what the NCAA says. My question is this, it's been known for months that this network would be showing high school games but it's just a problem now? Seems kind of reactive and as if nobody thought the channel would work and everyone was snickering and now it's, "Oh wait...". ESPN and UT have been upfront about all of this. And like I said before, just as many commits/recruits for other schools (namely OU and A&M) will be highlighted as UT guys.

Personally I don't think it would be such a huge bump for UT recruiting anyway. The UT channel is exposure in and of itself for us regardless if high school games are on or not. The kids know they'll be on tv in college regardless of what big school they choose.

Highlighted in burnt orange.

trwxxa
7/31/2011, 07:03 PM
If this has already been posted, I apologize

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/31025781?ttag=gen10_on_all_fb_na_txt_0001

gosooner2
7/31/2011, 07:56 PM
Is ESPN now a Texass "booster" ? They are paying money directly to Texas not the conference, seems to me that makes them a booster and subject to booster rules?

dvdcrr
7/31/2011, 08:44 PM
Dear Sooner Fans, I want to let you in on something, in an effort to help you get a leg up on the Longwhorns. Here in (I know you don't want to hear it) Nebraska, we have found ourselves being brought into the B1G fold (thats the Big 10). The conference has already gone to bat for us forcing the state's largest cable companies to offer the BTN free of charge to existing subscribers. ALL of our games will be televised this year. This means that any potential recruit will have complete access to watch the Huskers. No more Dan Beebe, catering to Texas first. No more 35 dollar pay per view. No more FSN or FSM splitting time publicizing all these secondary programs ( Mizzou Kansas St. etc.)
As a program with some leverage you really gotta consider getting out and heading to greener pastures. For us, we are looking forward to Michigan, Ohio State and Penn St., and not missing OSU, Tech, K State one bit. I could really see OU in the SEC.

oudavid1
7/31/2011, 11:54 PM
Dear Sooner Fans, I want to let you in on something, in an effort to help you get a leg up on the Longwhorns. Here in (I know you don't want to hear it) Nebraska, we have found ourselves being brought into the B1G fold (thats the Big 10). The conference has already gone to bat for us forcing the state's largest cable companies to offer the BTN free of charge to existing subscribers. ALL of our games will be televised this year. This means that any potential recruit will have complete access to watch the Huskers. No more Dan Beebe, catering to Texas first. No more 35 dollar pay per view. No more FSN or FSM splitting time publicizing all these secondary programs ( Mizzou Kansas St. etc.)
As a program with some leverage you really gotta consider getting out and heading to greener pastures. For us, we are looking forward to Michigan, Ohio State and Penn St., and not missing OSU, Tech, K State one bit. I could really see OU in the SEC.

They may work for you guys. But as an OU fan I dont care what OSU/Texas/Or Nebraska do. all those teams have one thing in common, they lost to OU last year. You guys do you, we will do OU. Boomer.

Peach Fuzz
8/1/2011, 12:15 AM
I like the random time frame of UT winning 4 of the past 6 better. If you're wanting to compare Stoops vs. Brown, it's 7 of the past 12 btw.

You really don't have solid ground after a losing season, coming off a MNC app... short horn. short memory.

badger
8/1/2011, 07:53 AM
Dear Sooner Fans, I want to let you in on something, in an effort to help you get a leg up on the Longwhorns.

Dear Nebby fan,

It must be nice living in a state that doesn't have another major university that needs to tag along and not be left out in. However, our state leaders and university leaders see value in having two larger public universities in the state and therefore, are looking out for the mutual needs of both in decisions made. Therefore, we can't just up and leave a conference like you guys did. The same can be said about Texas, however, as can be seen by the new limits being imposed on the Whorn Network. Perhaps someday OSU will be viable by itself and not need help from OU. Today is not that day. The next 10 years don't look good either.

badger
8/2/2011, 07:41 AM
Also, in case you all didn't hear, the Big 12 athletic directors voted to not all high school games on Bevo TV.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=231&articleid=20110802_231_B1_CUTLIN103421)

They also discussed that whole "broadcast a Big 12 game" aspect:

Monday, however, Big 12 ADs also declared that any "additional financial and exposure opportunities" created by a second game (or more) would be shared among the rest of the league.

In other words, they're not going to allow it unless the other team in that broadcast approves it.

Chuck Bao
8/2/2011, 02:27 PM
Also, in case you all didn't hear, the Big 12 athletic directors voted to not all high school games on Bevo TV.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=231&articleid=20110802_231_B1_CUTLIN103421)

They also discussed that whole "broadcast a Big 12 game" aspect:

In other words, they're not going to allow it unless the other team in that broadcast approves it.

Thanks Badj and spek. It is as I had anticipated.

The UT fans still seem delusional about the issue, focusing solely on high school football games. They got that OU and A&M would carry the day on the Big 12 front, but that it wouldn't matter because the NCAA couldn't rule against ESPN from carrying high school games. They seem to cling to the tenuous thread of hope that the LHN can then just thumb its nose at the Big 12. It's really funny, that, even for a bunch of high school kids.

The bigger question all along has been the broadcast of conference games. The Big 12 ruling that the conference opponent will have to agree means that UT will have to share part of its wealth and pay the opponent. I am just guessing here, but I assume that UT will have to pay the conference opponent and not the LHN. Surely, ESPN isn't THAT dumb. But who knows? They DO put some pretty clueless people on the TV to talk about sports. I had always assumed that the slant was more commercial and they knew how to do that, at least.

So, I assume that some Big 12 opponents will sell their fans out and take a very generous payoff from UT for exclusive broadcast rights given to the LHN, via ESPN. Ahem...I include my own Beloved Baylor Bears, along with Iowa State and Kansas. Money talks and leaks. Non-conference foes could very easily get the heads up here and want their part of the cut. The net of it is that UT may not come out pocketing as much as they had thought.

You just know ESPN will be pushing to turn its investment into profits as soon as possible and getting at least several exclusive UT football broadcast rights in a short-term make or break type of thing for them. Subscribe or not watch is a pretty strong motivator.

I just think the way this thing has broken down is so wrong and abhorred. I just think that universities should consider fans first and not try to cash in at every turn.

I still think that there is room for the big universities to cheaply set up their own sports cable TV channels. It would be a win for the fans. It would be a win for the university in selling more over-priced merchandise. I still don't think that it would cut down on ticket sales and could very well have the reverse effect.

I honestly ask how many of you bought OU hockey jerseys a couple of years ago? Yeah, I bought 3 of them and I hate hockey. Maybe I would buy an OU hockey stick and a puck if I could see them on TV.

silverwheels
8/2/2011, 02:30 PM
It's a one-year moratorium. ESPN and Texas will be stirring up a ****-storm for that year, and we'll be right back in this same spot next summer. Showing volleyball, golf, and diving isn't worth $300 million.

badger
8/2/2011, 02:33 PM
The big question: How in the hell can 24 hours of nothing but Beeeeeeevooooooo be profitable with at least a $300 mil investment over 20 years, not mentioning the manpower and other aspects that would cost more money on top of that?!

I would be interested to see how many subscribers that whorn network has signed up so far, especially outside the state of Texas.

This just sounds less and less like a viable idea for ESPN. Have they ever failed at something before? This might go down in history like other epic floppy failure ideas by big companies... like the Ford Pinto, the New Coke, Crystal Pepsi, 3D anything... the list goes on. And it seems like ESPN's Longhorn Network might join the list.

Herr Scholz
8/2/2011, 02:46 PM
It'll be viable just by the Longhorn fanbase watching it IMO. I'm most excited about all the baseball games being broadcast. The football coverage will be extensive too. Not to mention all of the lesser sports getting a huge boost over this thing (betting the next Britney Griner would like to see all of her games on tv for example).

Maybe ESPN shows Texas high school football on one of its other channels (ESPNU or ESPN3) and advertises it on TLN. I wouldn't bet against the mother ship making this thing profitable for them.

Chuck Bao
8/2/2011, 03:00 PM
The big question: How in the hell can 24 hours of nothing but Beeeeeeevooooooo be profitable with at least a $300 mil investment over 20 years, not mentioning the manpower and other aspects that would cost more money on top of that?!

I would be interested to see how many subscribers that whorn network has signed up so far, especially outside the state of Texas.

This just sounds less and less like a viable idea for ESPN. Have they ever failed at something before? This might go down in history like other epic floppy failure ideas by big companies... like the Ford Pinto, the New Coke, Crystal Pepsi, 3D anything... the list goes on. And it seems like ESPN's Longhorn Network might join the list.

Exactly. I think the sheer size of the deal, in effect, killed it. Both ESPN and UT were just too arrogant to see that.

I assume that there are escape clauses in the contract.

On a side note, the LHN could just broadcast those cheerleader girls in their chaps and there would be a huge audience in Asia. I mean that the Fashion Channel is very popular with men over here and the girls in chaps would beat them hands down over those long-legged, bony ***, no boob girls on the Fashion Channel. It isn't so distasteful these days since Sport Illustrated started their swimsuit edition a few decades ago.

Herr Scholz
8/2/2011, 03:04 PM
Both ESPN and UT were just too arrogant to see that.

ESPN paid off UT so that the Big XII would stay together and ESPN wouldn't lose all football broadcasting West of the Mississippi. There's a bigger story than this single network.

And UT is arrogant for accepting $300M guaranteed for 3rd tier broadcasting rights? OK.

Herr Scholz
8/2/2011, 03:06 PM
I assume that there are escape clauses in the contract.

Nope. It's guaranteed money to us. What they do with the channel is up to them now (and obviously the conference and the NCAA).

Bourbon St Sooner
8/2/2011, 03:08 PM

So that would make :mack: 5-7. Hmmm, where have we seen that before?

badger
8/2/2011, 03:13 PM
It'll be viable just by the Longhorn fanbase watching it IMO.

Do you have any numbers at all backing that up. Have you personally signed up for the Longhorn Network? How many of your Texas colleagues, friends, neighbors, relatives, co-workers, etc. signed up for this Longhorn Network?

And how much does it cost to subscribe, just out of curiosity?

I think it would be viable if they turned it into a Big 12 network. You'd still get tons of Texas baseball and tons of Texas, but not focus solely on Texas.

Chuck Bao
8/2/2011, 03:15 PM
It'll be viable just by the Longhorn fanbase watching it IMO. I'm most excited about all the baseball games being broadcast. The football coverage will be extensive too. Not to mention all of the lesser sports getting a huge boost over this thing (betting the next Britney Griner would like to see all of her games on tv for example).

Maybe ESPN shows Texas high school football on one of its other channels (ESPNU or ESPN3) and advertises it on TLN. I wouldn't bet against the mother ship making this thing profitable for them.

Britney is my girlfriend. She's my sweetheart and soul mate. She may not know that but I don't care. I am in love.

But, I am gonna have to agree with you here Mr Herr. If university sports events are televised, then it is a win/win for fans, for the team and for future recruits and, obviously future university revenues.

But the big problem here is trying to cash in ahead of a pretty sweet deal that Texas already has.

Chuck Bao
8/2/2011, 03:22 PM
Nope. It's guaranteed money to us. What they do with the channel is up to them now (and obviously the conference and the NCAA).

There are always escape clauses. Either that or the ESPN lawyers and executives need to be fired immediately.

Herr Scholz
8/2/2011, 03:33 PM
Do you have any numbers at all backing that up. Have you personally signed up for the Longhorn Network? How many of your Texas colleagues, friends, neighbors, relatives, co-workers, etc. signed up for this Longhorn Network?

And how much does it cost to subscribe, just out of curiosity?

I think it would be viable if they turned it into a Big 12 network. You'd still get tons of Texas baseball and tons of Texas, but not focus solely on Texas.

No. I don't have numbers. They're still negotiating with the major tv carriers on the particulars so it's not available to sign up for yet (whether it'll be a part of the basic package or a pay channel on TimeWarner, DirectTV, Dish, etc.). ESPN was trying to up their money by all of the commercials for the network ("request the channel from your carrier now on this website..."). I'm sure you've seen them.

I'm just relying on people much smarter than myself. ESPN thought it was viable based on the number of tv sets in Texas and a certain rate of $0.20 or whatever it was per subscriber. We'll see how it goes though.

Chuck Bao
8/2/2011, 07:32 PM
No. I don't have numbers. They're still negotiating with the major tv carriers on the particulars so it's not available to sign up for yet (whether it'll be a part of the basic package or a pay channel on TimeWarner, DirectTV, Dish, etc.). ESPN was trying to up their money by all of the commercials for the network ("request the channel from your carrier now on this website..."). I'm sure you've seen them.

I'm just relying on people much smarter than myself. ESPN thought it was viable based on the number of tv sets in Texas and a certain rate of $0.20 or whatever it was per subscriber. We'll see how it goes though.

And, you still really think that this is a guaranteed, iron-clad deal without anyone knowing what content that can be shown? Seriously? It is pretty late in the game to try to figure it out now.

Maybe try to reset the calendar again and come back next year.

Herr Scholz
8/2/2011, 07:42 PM
Yeah, it's a guaranteed $300 mil to us. That's what everyone's said, including ESPN.

"ESPN will help develop, launch and operate the network. It will also handle distribution of the network, which is unnamed as of now. The deal is worth $300 million over 20 years. The network will launch in September."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6037857

Herr Scholz
8/2/2011, 07:46 PM
"If that thinking is shared by the rest of the conference, it's likely that the Longhorn Network would be blocked from televising the games for the foreseeable future. Yet, with the financial backing and interest of ESPN interwoven within the channel from it's inception (ESPN has guaranteed $300 million to co-own and carry the Longhorn Network for the next 20 years), it seems unlikely that the new network would back off hunting down any and all angles to gain those rights until it became clear they had no chance to televise high school sports at all."

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/No-high-school-games-on-Longhorn-Network-yet?urn=highschool-wp4188

dvdcrr
8/2/2011, 09:00 PM
that network is another rung in the ladder separating Texas from the rest of the league. It is worth millions to the program and will be a competitive advantage. More trouble than its worth is completely off base. There are two teams in America that have the clout and ability to get something like this off the ground. One is Texas. The other is Notre Dame which has had a sweetheart deal with NBC. It won't be long before the Big 12 is reduced to the Big 7 and then nothing. Pac 12 looking to expand. B1G not done expanding. Writing is on the wall. I don't see why Tex doesn't just go independent and get it over with.

dvdcrr
8/2/2011, 09:06 PM
Dear Nebby fan,

It must be nice living in a state that doesn't have another major university that needs to tag along and not be left out in. However, our state leaders and university leaders see value in having two larger public universities in the state and therefore, are looking out for the mutual needs of both in decisions made. Therefore, we can't just up and leave a conference like you guys did. The same can be said about Texas, however, as can be seen by the new limits being imposed on the Whorn Network. Perhaps someday OSU will be viable by itself and not need help from OU. Today is not that day. The next 10 years don't look good either.
I would go to the SEC and take OSU with you. Texas can make its own conference (Tech, TCU, Texas, A&M, Houston, etc....)

sooneredaco
8/2/2011, 09:21 PM
I would go to the SEC and take OSU with you. Texas can make its own conference (Tech, TCU, Texas, A&M, Houston, etc....)

Somebody in another thread or earlier in this thread put it best "OSU is a tumor on the sports world." nobody wants a freaking tumor. We're just cursed by it until we can discover an effective surgery.

silverwheels
8/2/2011, 09:25 PM
Rumor is that the SEC doesn't want OSU.

badger
8/2/2011, 09:37 PM
Rumor is that the SEC doesn't want OSU.

You don't even need to start rumors on that one. It's like saying the SEC doesn't want East Carolina... or Memphis... or UAB. Division 1 programs, but all second-tier.

Herr Scholz
8/4/2011, 01:55 PM
Here's the predicted coverage of TLN in Texas:

For those interested (and I know there are many). As context, I work as a media planner at an ad agency in Dallas. So, networks are in the office all the time pitching us their properties. This morning, the LHN was in the office and here is the projected distribution lineup they shared:

DirectTV - Statewide
Time Warner - Dallas, Austin, San Antonio
Dish Network - Statewide
AT&T Uverse - Statewide
Comcast - Houston
Versizon FIOS - Dallas
Charter - Dallas
Grande - Austin
Suddenlink - West Texas
Cable One - Statewide
Other MSOs - Statewide

The network will be available on basic digital cable packages on all of these providers, meaning you won't have to pay extra for it if you're a subscriber. It will be part of the providers' relevant tiered sports packages outside of Texas.

Now, none of the providers have signed contracts with the network right now. A few have agreements in place and should be announced in the coming weeks. It will likely come down to the wire (i.e. August 26th or September 3rd) for the rest to be official, which is more of less par for the course for the launch of a regional sports network.

The one exception, unfortunately, is DirectTV. The network reps indicated that DirectTV will carry the network at some point, but it may not be at launch. Apparently, ESPN's contract with DirectTV for ALL of its networks is up at the end of this year, and the LHN will be part of those renegotiations. They did say that the best way to influence DirectTV is to call them daily, hourly, etc. and request the network. So, start working the phones.

badger
8/4/2011, 02:47 PM
Your little aggie and techer brothers must be fuming over having to "pay" for the network. I know you say it's included at no extra charge, but the fact that they pay $$$ for cable and then receive Bevo TV as part of their cable package probably means to them (as it many mean to many others) that they are in effect paying for the Whorn Network.

If people are working the phones over anything, I'd imagine it's aggie and techie complaining about it not being a premium channel :rcmad:

Considering all that the network won't be offering now --- a Big 12 game and high school games --- not sure it would be a huge loss if DirecTV didn't broadcast Texas TV.

Herr Scholz
8/4/2011, 02:55 PM
Your little aggie and techer brothers must be fuming over having to "pay" for the network. I know you say it's included at no extra charge, but the fact that they pay $$$ for cable and then receive Bevo TV as part of their cable package probably means to them (as it many mean to many others) that they are in effect paying for the Whorn Network.
Yes they are. I imagine they'll just hang their tvs upside down. I would also guess that Time Warner not being on in Houston would be the result of Aggie complaining. Not sure if that's the main cable carrier there though.

I would also submit that if you pay to have ESPN, you're already paying for TLN anyway.

Considering all that the network won't be offering now --- a Big 12 game and high school games --- not sure it would be a huge loss if DirecTV didn't broadcast Texas TV.
The 2nd Big XII game is back on the table with the caveats that the other team and the conference sign off. I imagine it would be against ISU or something.

MeMyself&Me
8/4/2011, 03:28 PM
Yes they are. I imagine they'll just hang their tvs upside down. I would also guess that Time Warner not being on in Houston would be the result of Aggie complaining. Not sure if that's the main cable carrier there though.

I would also submit that if you pay to have ESPN, you're already paying for TLN anyway.

The 2nd Big XII game is back on the table with the caveats that the other team and the conference sign off. I imagine it would be against ISU or something.

That ISU game would normally be carried by FSN, something their fans would already be getting. Their fans don't receive TLN as part of a basic package so the ISU admin would really be sticking to their fan base to get a payoff. I doubt that happens.

Herr Scholz
8/4/2011, 03:36 PM
It's brand new. We'll see.

badger
8/4/2011, 03:37 PM
If ISU fans can't watch their team beating you again, I imagine it would be much weeping and gnashing of teeth.

SoonerofAlabama
8/4/2011, 03:39 PM
Some more shows from the longhorn network:

•Longhorn Legends -- Coach Mack Brown is joined by former players Ricky Williams, Vince Young and Colt McCoy for a roundtable discussion.
•The Season: 2005 Texas Longhorns -- A look back at Texas' fourth national championship team, led by Vince Young.
•Texas' Greatest Games -- Glimpses at the 10 best games in Longhorns football history.
•Texas' Greatest Athletes -- A panel of experts selected the greatest athletes across all sports in Texas history, and this show will give fans an in-depth look at them.
•Traditions -- Don't know how some of UT's best-known traditions began? You can learn how on this show.

NorthernIowaSooner
8/4/2011, 03:47 PM

I somehow doubt ISU signs off on a home game being broadcast on TLN so their home-state fans can't see it.

Texas has home games against both Kansas schools, my guess is it is one of those.

MeMyself&Me
8/4/2011, 04:08 PM
I somehow doubt ISU signs off on a home game being broadcast on TLN so their home-state fans can't see it.

Texas has home games against both Kansas schools, my guess is it is one of those.

The same issue applies to the Kansas schools as does ISU. Fans in their home states can't watch (at least without paying extra and even then won't be possible with every provider).

Would have to be on the Texas schools (Tech, Baylor, aTm). I'm guessing aTm is a definite "NO". Don't know what Tech and Baylor fans think of it but I wouldn't like it one bit if I was a fan of either of those schools. Would rather watch via normal outlets where the production crew have some semblance of impartiality.

Soonerfan88
8/4/2011, 04:46 PM
I'd go with Baylor. They don't have enough dedicated fans that would actually protest it to offset the money made.

No offense resident Baylor folks, but you know it's true.

soonerboomer93
8/4/2011, 05:30 PM

AFAIK there is no Time Warner in Houston, Comcast purchased what they had here several years ago.

sperry
8/4/2011, 05:40 PM
Some more shows from the longhorn network:

•Longhorn Legends -- Coach Mack Brown is joined by former players Ricky Williams, Vince Young and Colt McCoy for a roundtable discussion.
•The Season: 2005 Texas Longhorns -- A look back at Texas' fourth national championship team, led by Vince Young.
•Texas' Greatest Games -- Glimpses at the 10 best games in Longhorns football history.
•Texas' Greatest Athletes -- A panel of experts selected the greatest athletes across all sports in Texas history, and this show will give fans an in-depth look at them.
•Traditions -- Don't know how some of UT's best-known traditions began? You can learn how on this show.

Who is going to watch this crap? I know I wouldn't if OU ever launches the Sooner network. Frankly, I would watch live men's basketball and baseball on the channel, and really nothing else.

Herr Scholz
8/4/2011, 06:31 PM
Who is going to watch this crap?
Longhorn fans will watch the extensive Longhorn football coverage. Weird, I know.

NorthernIowaSooner
8/4/2011, 10:04 PM
The same issue applies to the Kansas schools as does ISU. Fans in their home states can't watch (at least without paying extra and even then won't be possible with every provider).

Would have to be on the Texas schools (Tech, Baylor, aTm). I'm guessing aTm is a definite "NO". Don't know what Tech and Baylor fans think of it but I wouldn't like it one bit if I was a fan of either of those schools. Would rather watch via normal outlets where the production crew have some semblance of impartiality.

That's true, my point was that the ISU game is in Ames, both Kansas schools are in Austin and probably the smallest draw on their network.

I agree with you that it does make more sense to have it be a 2nd Texas school though.

trwxxa
8/5/2011, 10:15 PM
Sounds like a Texas Aggie has obtained a copy of the LHN contract through a state open records request. I guess there are some differences between what UT told the Big 12 was in the contract (or at least what was released to the general public) and what is actually in the contract.

The rumblings are the showing of high school games is a big thing and it is up to UT to make it happen with the Texas UIL. The delay can kill the contract if ESPN so chooses.

It also appears it is in both parties best interest for UT to be independent by the time the Big 12 TV contract is up for renewal. ESPN can put the money saved from not bidding on what is left of the Big 12 into UT exclusivity and the SEC.

There is also some link in this whole thing to IMG, one of the larger talent agencies. Of course, agents and college athletics is supposed to be taboo.

Stay Tuned.

MeMyself&Me
8/6/2011, 03:49 PM
The rumblings are the showing of high school games is a big thing and it is up to UT to make it happen with the Texas UIL. The delay can kill the contract if ESPN so chooses.

But, but, but that money is gauranteed!

soonerboomer93
8/6/2011, 05:13 PM
Sounds like a Texas Aggie has obtained a copy of the LHN contract through a state open records request. I guess there are some differences between what UT told the Big 12 was in the contract (or at least what was released to the general public) and what is actually in the contract.

It also appears it is in both parties best interest for UT to be independent by the time the Big 12 TV contract is up for renewal. ESPN can put the money saved from not bidding on what is left of the Big 12 into UT exclusivity and the SEC.

There is also some link in this whole thing to IMG, one of the larger talent agencies. Of course, agents and college athletics is supposed to be taboo.

Stay Tuned.

Link?

and UT controls the UIL, they founded it and it's an extension of UT

Chuck Bao
8/7/2011, 01:16 PM
I'd go with Baylor. They don't have enough dedicated fans that would actually protest it to offset the money made.

No offense resident Baylor folks, but you know it's true.

Yeah, I do. And it makes me a very sad Baylor Bear. :(

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/7/2011, 04:02 PM
Someone needs to rename this thread...I feel that "Longhorns are more trouble than they are worth" would be more appropriate.

trwxxa
8/7/2011, 07:17 PM
Here is a link to the document and some Texas Aggie thoughts. I was mistaken in writing that IMG was the talent agency. It is IMG Communications.

http://themidnightyell.blogspot.com/

trwxxa
8/7/2011, 07:23 PM
and UT controls the UIL, they founded it and it's an extension of UT

I was not aware of that. You do learn something new every day. :D

Soonerfan88
8/7/2011, 07:38 PM
Here is a link to the document and some Texas Aggie thoughts. I was mistaken in writing that IMG was the talent agency. It is IMG Communications.

Thanks for posting this link. I have been very interested in the actual contract for some time. I will take time later in the week to read the entire thing but the highlights themselves are what most of us expected - arrogance from UT and ESPN.

Also, anyone read the previous entry concerning the broadcast request to Pearland Dawson? :pop:

spanielboy
8/7/2011, 08:46 PM
There are several issues with the contract, but one for the Flyover Conference (also known as the Big12-2) is the rights retained by Texas over the conference to televise games. The issue transcends football and encompasses all sports - both in Austin and away.

This deal neuters the Big12 rights to market its television rights when one team will either give its best efforts to have the game televised on Longhorn Network (LHN) or not at all to meet the intent of its contract with ESPN. Who in their right mind would give two cents to Big12-2 televise games with the Horns pushing their own agenda and to satisfy their greed at the expense of the other conference members?.

I would like to see some follow up by real journalists, who seem to be AWOL right now, to how much Dan Beebe knew and has done to help/hinder the Big12-2 Conference.

MeMyself&Me
8/7/2011, 11:10 PM
The fact that no media outlet seems to be running with this story on the contract details makes me wonder if this is legit. If it is, it's big.

MeMyself&Me
8/8/2011, 11:12 AM
Just heard it being talked about on satellite radio (think it was the rivals station but not sure). Only caught a small bit of it so don't know what was said but at least it's out there.

ouflak
8/8/2011, 11:39 AM

Anyway, I don't really think that there is very much in there at all that is all that alarming. The blogger's first interpretation is sketchy. Sure the contract states that both ESPN and UT would try to get 2 additional home games shown, but there is no stipulation that they must be Big XII games. They could be all of UT's OOC home schedule. Ofcourse realistically, especially with the new Big XII schedule, they are guaranteed to have at most two OOC home games a year, every alternating year. It doesn't take a genius to figure where that other home game is going to have to come from.

Also his question about whether I would mind having a Longhorn Network truck show up at one of our baseball/softball/some-other-sport events is perhaps a bit silly. I wouldn't mind at all! If the BYU network, and MWC network, and Big Ten network, and whoever else is willing pay the money, want to send their network truck to broadcast our events, they are all welcome as far as I'm concerned. The more exposure for these rather too-often overlooked collegiate sports, the better.

Otherwise, I really think it was a pretty much the typical kind of complex contract verbosity, with lots of winding ins and outs, that I would expect. It might be interesting to see some of the redacted stuff (freemasonry pledges?, extraterrestrial broadcast rights?, CIA cultural plot?), but probably not really that interesting, at least not for me.

FtwTxSooner
8/8/2011, 12:08 PM
1. The Longhorn Network's hopes of televising live high school football games remain on hold for at least a year, but ESPN still would like to show a second Texas football game besides Rice this season. The network's representatives have approached Texas Tech about the possibility of showing the Red Raiders-Longhorns game this year and, to make it worth Tech's while, discussed showing other Tech games like Nevada and New Mexico over the next four seasons for $5 million, a high-ranking Big 12 school administrator familiar with the negotiations told me. So far Tech has declined. The next probable school ESPN would approach? Oklahoma State, the source said. He also said the broadcast of high school games will happen eventually.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/nine-things-and-one-crazy-prediction-1711384.html

Good for Tech for saying no to LHN. Though, I'm sure if they toss in a few sheep into the deal with aggy, they'll gladly sign up.

Ruf/Nek7
8/8/2011, 12:12 PM
Anyway, I don't really think that there is very much in there at all that is all that alarming. The blogger's first interpretation is sketchy. Sure the contract states that both ESPN and UT would try to get 2 additional home games shown, but there is no stipulation that they must be Big XII games. They could be all of UT's OOC home schedule. Ofcourse realistically, especially with the new Big XII schedule, they are guaranteed to have at most two OOC home games a year, every alternating year. It doesn't take a genius to figure where that other home game is going to have to come from.

Also his question about whether I would mind having a Longhorn Network truck show up at one of our baseball/softball/some-other-sport events is perhaps a bit silly. I wouldn't mind at all! If the BYU network, and MWC network, and Big Ten network, and whoever else is willing pay the money, want to send their network truck to broadcast our events, they are all welcome as far as I'm concerned. The more exposure for these rather too-often overlooked collegiate sports, the better.

Otherwise, I really think it was a pretty much the typical kind of complex contract verbosity, with lots of winding ins and outs, that I would expect. It might be interesting to see some of the redacted stuff (freemasonry pledges?, extraterrestrial broadcast rights?, CIA cultural plot?), but probably not really that interesting, at least not for me.

You copied and pasted this! LAZY;)

MeMyself&Me
8/8/2011, 12:12 PM
The parts that jump out at me is this:

1) Texas has been emphatic that high school game issue is something that ESPN came up with on their own without consulting Texas. This contract shows that to be blatant lie.

2) The contract doesn't allow Texas to appear on any other member's TV deal (when that occurs) which undermines other members ability to negotiate contracts.

3) Two football games have been part of the deal since day one. Everything we've heard indicates this was a recent development out of necessity and the Big 12's other members seemed blind sided by it. Again, another outright lie.

4) ESPN also seems to also have a big steak in Texas going independent which would seem to not be in the Big 12's interest at the next round of TV negotiations. Remember, ABC currently has the Big 12's tier 1 rights.

So much for all this conference unity that everyone has been trying to sell...

Ruf/Nek7
8/8/2011, 12:40 PM
So now the real question....Where do we go? SEC, PAC12?

SoonerAtKU
8/8/2011, 02:50 PM
If you're wanting to compare Stoops vs. Brown, it's 7 of the past 12 btw.

So...what you're saying is that Mack is 5-7 vs. Stoops, yes? How kind of you to mention that.

TexasEx4OU
8/8/2011, 03:02 PM

Actually, it's both: http://www.imgworld.com/services.aspx. IMG started in talent representation, and over the years has grown into a multi-discipline, multi-genre media company, with expertise in content production, distribution and sales.

49r
8/8/2011, 04:58 PM
IMG College is the media partner to over 70 colleges around the country (you can see who by clicking the link http://www.imgcollege.com/about-us/imgc-about-us.html). They invest a lot of money in facilities/media/promotion for those schools. Big XII schools who are with IMG include Texas, Kansas, Baylor and (former Big XII) Nebraska

The other giant in collegiate sports media is Learfield Communications http://www.learfieldsports.com/ who is Oklahoma's media partner. (Also Missouri, Texas A&M, Tech, Iowa State, Kansas State, OSU and former Big XII Colorado)

49r
8/8/2011, 05:00 PM
Also, FWIW, 9 out of the 12 SEC schools are IMG. With the exceptions being Alabama, Miss St, and South Carolina...who are with Learfield.